Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #101

Jun 2011

Hopefully most of these films live up to the hype in terms of quality. If they do it could easily be the best year for genre/action adventure movies ever, or at least since 84 or 82
Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

all depends on what you feel is important. for a lot of people, Avengers and Superman/Batman mean nothing. another Pirates movie? meh. and you have to hope they don't flop - for every Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin and there are always movies like Green Lantern, John Carter, RIPD, After Earth.....

don't let the box office fool you - it may make the most money ever of any given year but you have to adjust for inflation. Titanic making a billion dollars back in 1996 and a movie making a billion today are 2 totally different things. with what they spend to make these movies today, lots of movies don't actually make any great amount of money in the end.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #103

Jun 2011

As far as box office goes, I don't really care about it. I'm not getting any of that money after all. As long as the things I like make enough to maybe get a sequel that's fine.

I like superhero movies but I am feeling like it's a little bit harder to get excited about them anymore. Iron Man 3 left a very bad taste in my mouth. There's just so many and a lot of them are pretty mediocre. Maybe Vin Diesel's plans with Marvel will make me care again. Avengers 2 will probably suck me in though, and since Man of Steel 2 has Batman I'll be there

What really intrigues me is SW VII. I hate the prequels but SW had a big role in making me a movie/genre nerd as a kid so I'm hoping JJ can recapture some of that magic and bring the series in a new direction at the same time. It's too early to tell but so far they're saying and doing all the right things.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #104
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
don't let the box office fool you - it may make the most money ever of any given year but you have to adjust for inflation. Titanic making a billion dollars back in 1996 and a movie making a billion today are 2 totally different things.
Don't worry, I realise that -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Ackerman View Post
(A quick note - all of this talk of Biggest Year Ever is obviously ignoring inflation, though I'd be interested in how it measured up. I hope it's also clear that I'm not equating money with quality because, again, Pirates 5).
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
all depends on what you feel is important. for a lot of people, Avengers and Superman/Batman mean nothing. another Pirates movie? meh. and you have to hope they don't flop - for every Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin and there are always movies like Green Lantern, John Carter, RIPD, After Earth.....
Oh, I realise that some of these will flop - Assassin's Creed will hopefully be great but it's a computer game film and they don't have a great history. And Smurfs 3 was included but that was before Smurfs 2 came and underwhelmed. On the opposite side of the spectrum I also can't equate for sleeper films - for instance, if I was doing a preview of 2013 in 2011 then The Butler, We're the Millers and Now You See Me would be nowhere in sight.

And I don't doubt that there are a lot of people who don't care about Avengers or Batman Vs. Superman - my grandparents couldn't care less. But there are plenty that do - look at how big the last Avengers was, regardless of inflation (adjusted for that it's still the 27th highest grossing domestic film - and Titanic's number 5) and how much of a boost it gave Iron Man 3, or how Ben Affleck's casting made the news and not just in the entertainment sections - not every film does that and it's because Batman is still big news after The Dark Knight.

As for what I feel is important - don't worry, as I say in the quote above I don't equate huge box office with quality. Often the two are one and the same - I thought all four of the billion dollars films last year (Avengers, Dark Knight, Skyfall, Hobbit) were great films. But which I feel is most important? Quality, every time. This post doesn't look at that as it's obviously something that can't be judged for a good long while yet. My post was mere looking at how many potentially huge films we have set for one year, more than I can remember for a very long time, and how that might play out on a box office scale. Of course, since then a couple of the big ones have dropped out so the hugeness of 2015 is looking a little less huge. But I thought it would be a fun topic to consider.

Last edited by Buddy Ackerman; 09-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #105
Expert Member

Jul 2013

seems like it because all the sequels of good films are about to be released
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #106
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Add another one into the mix - Minions set for July 10th 2015. With Despeicable Me 2 currently the second biggest film of 2013 with $840m worldwide- and rising - this one is another huge one.

As the article notes though, this isn't just another big one for a crowded year but for a crowded July - Terminator 5, Batman Vs. Superman, Ant-Man and Independence Day 2 are set to be released the same month.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #107
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Thanks for the thread. There looks to be nothing original in all of those films; just a bunch of sequels and continuations from previous franchises.

I'm so tired of POTC!
couldn't agree with you more ... one word: pathetic.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #108

Apr 2013

The sequel to the Friday the 13th reboot from 2009 is set for March 13th, 2015.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...iday-the-13th/
Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #109
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0llyM0M0 View Post
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....riday+the+13th

all over it
Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #110
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0llyM0M0 View Post
Too bad it's not a sequel, but yet another reboot. A reboot, plus it's found footage--not a very promising start...
Old 12-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #111

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
couldn't agree with you more ... one word: pathetic.
+1
And I'm superheroed out but as long as they keep making a zillion dollars this trend will continue. It's a business and these are relatively safe bets to make money
Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #112
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
New Zealand

the year with Trek will always be my favourite year of cinema.. has been the past 2 releases (Avatar was a great finish in 09)
"I don't always herdy dur mur flerpty floopin...

But when I do, I yer der schmer dor her der foomty, der shoopin flerpty dur"

The Swedish Chef!.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #113

Dec 2008
Kentucky

Yes, because of Batman.
UV Codes I am looking for: Saving Mr. Banks, Delivery Man, Ender's Game, Grudge Match, Neighbors, A Million Ways To Die In The West, Noah
Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #114
Special Member

Nov 2007
Kentucky

I think it will be one of the biggest.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #115
Banned

Aug 2011

We can't forget Paranormal Activity 6 and Insidious 3-D.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #116

Jun 2011

Ben Afflek's Live By Night is slotted for Christmas 2015. Having read the novel, I'm going to make an early prediction that this will be the best movie that year.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #117
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by remake View Post
Insidious 3-D.
Really? That's a real thing?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #118
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Rocky mountain Frontrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Blazkowicz View Post
Ben Afflek's Live By Night is slotted for Christmas 2015. Having read the novel, I'm going to make an early prediction that this will be the best movie that year.
I'm going to look into this...
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies