Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volumes 1-6 (DVD)
$47.99
Boston Legal: Season 1-5 Complete Collection (DVD)
$65.49
Downton Abbey: The Complete Collector's Set (DVD)
$89.99
Poldark: Season 2 (DVD)
$17.99
Castle: The Complete Eighth Season (DVD)
$24.96
The Wire (DVD)
$65.99
Perry Mason: The Complete Series (DVD)
$107.99
Grey's Anatomy: The Complete Twelfth Season (DVD)
$24.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (DVD)
$19.13
The Angry Birds Movie (DVD)
$10.00
Ghostbusters (DVD)
$10.00
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (DVD)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #421
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkapera View Post
Thanks for the information. It is much helpful and gave me some hope.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I see this. There is a lot to this site. The site needs just a FAQ page with all the common questions/answers. It's a pain to search and look for answers. Especially when most of the posts are older and things have changed I'm sure.
There are a lot of great aspects to the site, especially as MikeZ. mentioned, since it's free. What I would most like to see also is a FAQ. In a couple of older posts it's been said that one is being worked on, but there was no timetable given.

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can add movies to the database? Is there a restriction or what not that takes place before I get the option to do it? The iphone app says I need to search and select New Title and such but don't see that link anywhere. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated as I got a lot of titles that needs to be added. Thanks!
Not long ago there was a requirement added that people submitting to the database have a minimum number of posts, and be a member here for a minimum amount of time. I don't know exactly what those minimums are, but being a Junior member might be enough. You might have to wait a couple weeks, or even a month though. Just keep trying, and it'll happen.

I would mention that there are two ways to add DVD's to the database, the first is to start with the "Movie" (even if it's a tv show) aka "Theatrical entry" aka "Master Movie ID". You would search at the top for "Movies" and try to find the one you want (if it's in the database) and that gives you a good starting point, often including info on the movie's year, cast and crew, etc.
Though sometimes that's not in the database and has to be added too. If it's there then you look for this line:

Quote:
Edit movie | Edit cast & crew | Upload image(s) | Clone movie | Add new movie | Create: Blu-ray DVD UltraViolet iTunes AIV
Click on "DVD" and you'll be taken to a page where you can start doing that.

The other way is to go to any other random DVD and look for this line:

Quote:
Edit movie | Edit cast & crew | Upload covers | Add new country/edition | Add new movie
Click "Add new movie" and it'll take you to a similar page, but you'll have to start from scratch. When you're able to add to the database then here's my "far-from-perfect-but-better-than-nothing" version of a FAQ, which I'll post after this paragraph, but as a spoiler (since it's pretty long).

[Show spoiler]Before you start, make sure to never press the "Enter" key on your computer or the little buttons on that page that say "Submit" until you are done entering all the information for everything at the very end.

Retail information
You start by adding the UPC by the barcode on the back.
Then the EAN by typing a zero, and then the UPC right after with no spaces.
Then look for the ASIN number for it on Amazon (if you can find it) and add that.
Below that type in whatever number is next to "Current timestamp:" if it's not yet released.
You don't need to type all the information for those other stores, unless you have it or want it added.

Title information
The first one is "Bundle IDs" and that's only for sets with different movies all in the same package, like several Roy Rogers movies together.
Then "Official forum link" is nice if you want to look for it, but isn't needed.
Then give the name for the title, a Title prefix if there is one (like The) and then the rest of the name below that.
The Studio that released it. The back of your dvd can help, or maybe Amazon can ?
The Country as United States, or any other country if it's not.
Then the date it was released, and again Amazon can help often with that.
"Retailer exclusive" is almost always No, unless you know only one store sold it.
"Season / sequence / chronological order" is always 1, unless it's a tv show or a film series with sequels.
Runtime is of course for how many minutes the movie is.
And then the rating.

Art and packaging
Go with the defaults, unless you know one or more of them to be incorrect.

Disc info
"Unique movies" and "Unique cuts" are almost always 1. Unless there are different movies all together in the same package. Like this one: http://www.blu-ray.com/products/?p=5...on=editproduct

DVD discs is usually 1 too, unless there were more in the same package.
After that is "Media" that you can leave alone unless you know it.
The same for everything after. Sometimes there is a 3D Blu-ray or DVD or something else in the package, but usually not.

Features
You can leave all these alone unless you know them.

Video
Same as Features, just go past that unless you know any of it for sure. Sometimes it's on the package. But my advice is to leave "Aspect ratio" alone even if there is something listed on the case, or at Amazon.

Audio
First there is a lot of space for different languages. A lot of times this will be on the back of your DVD case, so write that if it's there or leave it alone if you don't. The last important information is subtitles. So click yes if you know they are there and which ones. But if you don't then you can skip that too.

You then are taken to a new page and you wait a day, or a few days, to see whether it was okayed or not by the approval person who looks at it. If it is okayed then you will need to add art for the cover and maybe the back, but that is later, after it has been approved.

Once you've submitted then you can check to see if your submission is approved here: http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/movies.ph...=recentlyadded which is also a good way to see what others have newly submitted. It can be a good place to look for unreleased DVD's, and older ones too. I hope I have helped.
Thanks given by:
DaBargainHunta (07-07-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #422

Jul 2016

I'm new here and I just can't find where I go to add new movies. I looked the entire app and couldn't find the "add new movie". Is it still working? Is everyone able to do it? What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #423
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara_iamwhoiam View Post
I'm new here and I just can't find where I go to add new movies. I looked the entire app and couldn't find the "add new movie". Is it still working? Is everyone able to do it? What am I doing wrong?
Can it even be done from the app? I always do it through the website.
I'll be back for more bargain bin Blus!

Threads I curate: Best Buy $5.99 Bin | Big Lots Deals | 7-Eleven Blu-ray Deals | 99-cent HD Rental of the Week
Old 07-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #424
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada

I added a bunch of missing EU DVD entries for Perfect Blue but nothing has showed up yet. What gives?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #425
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
I added a bunch of missing EU DVD entries for Perfect Blue but nothing has showed up yet. What gives?
Mod has to approve them first.

Threads I curate: Best Buy $5.99 Bin | Big Lots Deals | 7-Eleven Blu-ray Deals | 99-cent HD Rental of the Week
Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #426
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara_iamwhoiam View Post
There seems to be a probationary period for new members, maybe a month? I'm not sure the exact amount of time. For some other "permissions" then the ability to do things gets activated after a certain number of posts too. So it may be that you need to wait a month from the time you joined and/or make 6-10-12 posts. I've seen other people have success with that, but I don't know the exact criteria, sorry.

Once you've met the criteria then you'll absolutely be able to submit new movies, Blu-ray's, DVD's, etc. I would caution to make sure that the one(s) you want to add aren't in the system somewhere first. There is a lot right with the database, and it is constantly being updated and improved, but there are still a percentage of titles that aren't linked to Theatrical entries, or that have a wrong UPC, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
Sometimes there is a delay between when you submit something and it is approved, often moreso on Fridays-Sundays. But I do see that you've created several DVD's with that title, a Spanish, German, and 2 Japanese versions:

http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Perfect-Blue-DVD/125352/
http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Perfect-Blue-DVD/125351/
http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Perfect-Blue-DVD/124945/
http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Perfect-Blue-DVD/124900/

In case you weren't aware, you can check your achievements here: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/too...action=history

If none of those is the one that you mean, then check this page to see if you have any pending submissions: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/ach...s.php?u=234141

It's hard to believe that a submission just vanished, but if you think that could be the case then you'd need to contact an "approval" person. If you know any, either personally or someone who might have denied a previous submission, then you could try pm'ing them. If not, maybe start a thread asking about it over here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27
Thanks given by:
Evil (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #427
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
In case you weren't aware, you can check your achievements here: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/too...action=history

If none of those is the one that you mean, then check this page to see if you have any pending submissions: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/ach...s.php?u=234141
Both of those link to another user's achievements and submissions.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #428
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
Both of those link to another user's achievements and submissions.
They're showing up as Oniros for me. What user is showing up for you?
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #429
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-
-

Quote:
They're showing up as Oniros for me. What user is showing up for you?
Same. Oops! Totally didn't register with me that you were responding to Oniros.

Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #430
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
Same. Oops! Totally didn't register with me that you were responding to Oniros.
It's cool. As often as I am the one making a mistake, you were probably right to worry.
Thanks given by:
DaBargainHunta (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #431

Jul 2016

Quote:
There seems to be a probationary period for new members, maybe a month? I'm not sure the exact amount of time. For some other "permissions" then the ability to do things gets activated after a certain number of posts too. So it may be that you need to wait a month from the time you joined and/or make 6-10-12 posts. I've seen other people have success with that, but I don't know the exact criteria, sorry.

Once you've met the criteria then you'll absolutely be able to submit new movies, Blu-ray's, DVD's, etc. I would caution to make sure that the one(s) you want to add aren't in the system somewhere first. There is a lot right with the database, and it is constantly being updated and improved, but there are still a percentage of titles that aren't linked to Theatrical entries, or that have a wrong UPC, etc.
That was really~ helpful 🙃 Thanks! 🤗
Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #432

Aug 2016

Hi, i see where you can click to add a title, but find all the information i have to add confusing.

I am trying to add these UK titles, can anyone add them for me or help me add them?

Geordie Shore - Season 1
Geordie Shore - Season 2
Geordie Shore - Season 3
Geordie Shore - Season 4
Geordie Shore - Season 5
Geordie Shore - Season 6
Geordie Shore - Season 7
Geordie Shore - Season 8
Geordie Shore - Season 9
Geordie Shore - Season 10
Geordie Shore - Season 11
Old 08-30-2016, 02:42 AM   #433
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWeaverUK View Post
Hi, i see where you can click to add a title, but find all the information i have to add confusing.

I am trying to add these UK titles, can anyone add them for me or help me add them?
Hello.

The first thing is that you would want to decide if you just want to add them immediately, or create a "Theatrical Entry" or "Master Movie ID" first. That's where you go to the top of the page, highlight "Movies" and search (it also works for tv series too). Lots are there already, but not for Geordie Shore unfortunately.

I'll go ahead and start the process of creating one either way, which will hopefully be approved in 24 hours or so. You don't have to wait, but I'd recommend it, as it will allow all the cast and crew members to be linked to the series, and really tie all the different releases together in a way that doesn't happen if you add the DVD's without it.

Here's an example of a series tied together: http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/The-Inspe...s-1-DVD/50337/ You can see other volumes, some actors, sometimes images from the program, etc. All that would be missing without a Master Movie ID to tie them together.

Whichever you choose, then you are going to want to look at your DVD cases for important info. For each release:

What's the 13 digit EAN (International Article Number) near the barcode?
Go to Amazon (UK of course) and find the ASIN: B0052WHLFS (this is for Season 1)
Title is the next necessary piece of info, and you'd go by the one on the cover "Geordie Shore - The Complete First Season" or "Geordie Shore: The Complete First Season". We usually use colons, but as long as it's consistent then either is fine.
Studio is next. Is Amazon correct that it's Paramount? Or would MTV, or another, be more accurate?
Release date: Amazon is usually right about that, unless you have some reason to doubt them.
Season / sequence / chronological order: I don't see any seasons split up, so Series 1 would be 1, Series 5 would be 5, etc. in both fields.
Year: Best to go to IMDb .com and check. Looks like Series 1 is 2011. But sometimes a season will cover more than one year.
Runtime: should be on your case somewhere. Amazon is usually right, but sometimes not on this.
Film/TV rating: Scroll down to "BBFC:" looks like 15 for the first. But sometimes they're not on the cover, so look to see if it's the same or different for the other seasons.
In the next group of options it helps if you know if there was ever a slipcover, or what sort of cases the seasons are packaged in (though we don't have all the possible options available). If you don't know that's fine though.
DVD discs: How many for each season?
Audio and subtitles: If you can tell then that's helpful, but it's fine to leave that info alone if you don't know it.

So that's the important info to gather. Some of it is available online, but some might not, and it's best to verify with your physical DVD cases either way. I would recommend waiting for the Master Movie ID to be approved, and once it is then if you feel comfortable you could try entering the Season 1 entry (if you are already able to, sometimes new members have to wait). If not, then I'd be happy to enter 1 (or more) to serve as an example.
Thanks given by:
DavidWeaverUK (08-31-2016), Evil (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #434
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Update on Geordie Shore. The Theatrical Entry was approved: http://www.blu-ray.com/Geordie-Shore/616037/

I found a poster too, which I submitted, but has yet to be approved. Meanwhile, one of the more industrious members around here already submitted Cast & Crew info. It'll take another day or so to appear on the main page, but has been approved.
Thanks given by:
DavidWeaverUK (08-31-2016), Evil (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #435
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2012
Dump Bin
-
-
-
-

I submitted the DVD sets for Geordie Shore to the database.
The night is alive. You can feel the heartbeat.
Thanks given by:
DavidWeaverUK (08-31-2016), Strapped4Cash (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #436
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
I submitted the DVD sets for Geordie Shore to the database.
Good work!

Though if DavidWeaverUK sees any info missing that he can supply from the actual releases then I'd tell him not to hesitate to add that in too. Always good to improve the listings if possible, and in case there are any other future ones he owns not in the database then the familiarity with editing entries would be helpful.
Thanks given by:
DavidWeaverUK (08-31-2016), Evil (09-01-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #437

Aug 2016

Hi, thank you all. i will go through my sets and see what info i can add.
Thanks given by:
Evil (09-01-2016), Strapped4Cash (09-01-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #438

Aug 2016

Right now i can't add any info, i think i may have to wait a month as mentioned in the thread, when i am enabled i have some more info on the Geordie Shore DVD's from my collection, plus there are lots of DVD's in my collection that are not on here, so will try adding them.

Additonal Q, I have some ITunes titles which do not show up on here, is there anyway to add them or is it the same way as DVD?, i made a list just incase they are all showing but i just can't see them in the UK library

ITunes UK titles not showing in ITunes -
Ex On The Beach Season 1-5 (Individual)
Snooki & JWOWW - Season 1-4 (Individual)
Beauty School Cop Outs - Season 1 (Individual)
Viva La Bam - Season 1-5 (Individual)
The Valleys - Season 1-3 (Individual)
Keeping Up With The Kardashians - Season 1-12 (Individual)
Teen Mom - Volume 1-15 (Individual)
Jackass - Volume 1-3 + Movies (Individual)
Kenny vs. Spenny - Season 1-3 (Individual)

God, writing that shows me how much Reality TV i watch.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #439

Mar 2012
Greece

I have added the Greek edition of "You only live twice" over 2 years ago and still no cover! Whats up with that? I can t even add it, the option is not avaliable.

http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/You-Only-...ice-DVD/65193/
Old 09-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #440
Special Member

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWeaverUK View Post
Right now i can't add any info, i think i may have to wait a month as mentioned in the thread, when i am enabled i have some more info on the Geordie Shore DVD's from my collection, plus there are lots of DVD's in my collection that are not on here, so will try adding them.
Sounds good. If you have any questions, or need any help, then don't hesitate to ask. By now you've seen how having the Geordie Shore Master Movie ID supplies some info like "Other Seasons" and if you think it worth doing then you can first add the Theatrical Entries for those titles that need them, and then it saves time when entering each DVD too.

I am sorry to hear that there are so many titles you own not in the database yet. I had the same situation myself. For some reason many members don't take the extra step to add in titles they own, or are interested in, which will really help fill out the database. And those of us who do contribute can only do so much.

Quote:
Additonal Q, I have some ITunes titles which do not show up on here, is there anyway to add them or is it the same way as DVD?, i made a list just incase they are all showing but i just can't see them in the UK library

ITunes UK titles not showing in ITunes -
Ex On The Beach Season 1-5 (Individual)
Snooki & JWOWW - Season 1-4 (Individual)
Beauty School Cop Outs - Season 1 (Individual)
Viva La Bam - Season 1-5 (Individual)
The Valleys - Season 1-3 (Individual)
Keeping Up With The Kardashians - Season 1-12 (Individual)
Teen Mom - Volume 1-15 (Individual)
Jackass - Volume 1-3 + Movies (Individual)
Kenny vs. Spenny - Season 1-3 (Individual)

God, writing that shows me how much Reality TV i watch.
I see some of them elsewhere, like in the US, but I would really guess that those should be thought of as separate. iTunes isn't my specialty, but it's much the same as with DVD's, though fortunately with less work to add them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisranger View Post
I have added the Greek edition of "You only live twice" over 2 years ago and still no cover! Whats up with that? I can t even add it, the option is not avaliable.

http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/You-Only-...ice-DVD/65193/
That is strange. There probably aren't too many people with the power to help you on that. I'd recommend posting in the Feedback Forum (maybe even with a new thread) to best get the attention of one of them: http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 Sorry I can't help you, but good luck.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies