Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #61

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekke henkie View Post
Yeah, from the top of my head and with a quick peek at Amazon.de, a few other really bad German 3D-conversions include:
- Running Man,
- Dune,
- Besouro,
- Shock Labyrinth,
- A Woman a Gun and a Noodleshop,
- Inalienable.

And the ones you already mentioned like:
- Bear,
- The Grand/Loooser,
- Flirting with Flamenco,
- Maria - Der Weg einer Tšnzerin,
- Hybrid.
Shock Labyrinth was shot in 3D. The German release doesn't have an English option though. There is a Taiwan release - Region A - w/ English subs that can be easily grabbed from yesasia.com

And Hybrid looks to be a pretty good conversion and not in the same gutter-league as the others we've been discussing.

Quote:
@RHellgren and @hotandserious:
You guys are right. I was a bit too quick with compiling the list. Nevertheless, my point was that there are so many bad 3D-conversions coming from Germany, that it is hard to even find the odd exception among them (and have it confirmed, including 3D-type, converted-or-not, region coding, etc).

Since more than 90% (just a wild guess) of the German Blu-ray-3D discs are of the bad-converted type, and with over 100 other 3D-titles now available online, I decided to just don't waste my time with them anymore.

However, if someone would be willing to start a topic (with a frequent updated first post) with 'just' the native Blu-ray 3D discs from Germany (and maybe even the 'very good' converted ones), I am al for it, and would be very willing to post the info I can find .
LOL - I don't think Germany has hit the 90% mark concerning half-a$$ed conversions - but they are trying. I think this could be a good idea. Maybe it would be wise to extend the thread to all more obscure titles released around the world - outside of the big guns like Disney, Warners, etc

There are a lot of threads with folks asking if this Sammy's Adventures 3D release or that StreetDance 3D release is Region Locked or not.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #62

Oct 2010
Send a message via MSN to RHellgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandserious View Post

There are a lot of threads with folks asking if this Sammy's Adventures 3D release or that StreetDance 3D release is Region Locked or not.
I did start a thread a while back concerning region coding and even started to list the locked ones, but it never really took off and I think it's at page 2 or 3 here by now. But I'd be willing to log on and make updates to that list and keep it going, just need some help with the info
Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #63

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHellgren View Post
I did start a thread a while back concerning region coding and even started to list the locked ones, but it never really took off and I think it's at page 2 or 3 here by now. But I'd be willing to log on and make updates to that list and keep it going, just need some help with the info
I'm game for helping out where I can - I've already listed a bunch that I've tested in the list I posted in the "Why So few..." thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/3d-blu-ray-...available.html

Which thread is it?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #64

Oct 2010

Quote:
I'm game for helping out where I can - I've already listed a bunch that I've tested in the list I posted in the "Why So few..." thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/3d-blu-ray-...available.html

Which thread is it?
I can make an update later today when I'm at my computer where it's easier, and I'll bump it up on top at the same time.

Edit: Done and done, any help with the info would be great!

Last edited by RHellgren; 07-28-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #65

Aug 2008
Cool

Quote:
Shock Labyrinth was shot in 3D
According to Phil, it's converted: http://realorfake3d.com/ , just saying. But who am I to question your statement, I don't even own the title .
Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #66

Jul 2010

Quote:
According to Phil, it's converted: http://realorfake3d.com/ , just saying. But who am I to question your statement, I don't even own the title .
Yeah - Phil is wrong. A quick google search is filled with results on how this was "the first Japanese film shot in HD Digital 3D". The 3D is quite well done too.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #67

Aug 2008
Canada

Quote:
Yeah - Phil is wrong. A quick google search is filled with results on how this was "the first Japanese film shot in HD Digital 3D". The 3D is quite well done too.
I see. Maybe you could send Phil a note (his email is on the mentioned webpage)? He's been very communicative the past year IMHO.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #68

Jul 2010

I'll zap Phil a quick email in just a minute.

So - I was out and about last night and saw that the Blu-ray 3D of the Swiss sci-fi film CARGO was already in stores, even though Amazon.de doesn't show it as being available til October 18th. Maybe it is some kind of retail exclusive?

Here is the blu-ray.com page:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cargo-3D-Blu-ray/26115/

Knowing this wasn't a native 3D film, but being a glutton for punishment, I figured I'd try it out since the film itself looked intersting. I only popped it in for a quick look - but the film itself looks quite good - with very nice special effects for it's budget and impressive sound design.

A reviewer on Amazon.de who commented on the 3D says that it looks as if the whole film has been recessed back a bit from the screen and on rare occasions things come forward from that. That's pretty much what I saw too. I saw a few weird anomalies - but on a quick skim, not as many on The Grand / Loooser. This might be a slight step up from that - LOL - but still nowhere near the same ballpark as theatrical conversions or even the Hybrid 3D conversion I mentioned earlier.

Language is German, but it includes English, French and Spanish subtitles, has numerous special features (unlike the flat UK release) and it is Region B locked - which seems to be the case with most of these German conversions (Bear is the only Region Free one I've found so far).
Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #69

Jul 2010

Here's a German 3D disc that is worth a look:
Faszination Korallenriff (Fascination: Coral Reef) 3D Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Faszin...Blu-ray/24535/

It is a native 3D disc - not a cheap-o conversion and has a nice lenticular cover - so for those who don't have enough underwater 3D discs, here's another one.

But here's the rub (!) - importers beware - the sleeve lists REGIONS ABC - but the disc is actually locked to REGION B!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #70

Apr 2011

Quote:
And Hybrid looks to be a pretty good conversion and not in the same gutter-league as the others we've been discussing.
By the way, I have seen Hybrid on the big screen at the Fantasy Filmfest two years ago. It is an up-conversion, but not done by the german label. It was done by the producers. The conversion is ok, but nothing special, but of course way better the the automatically converted crap.

Frankly, I was shocked to read what Sunfilm is planning to release in 3D. Let's check out how terrible the releases will be ;-)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #71

Oct 2010

Quote:
Here's a German 3D disc that is worth a look:
Faszination Korallenriff (Fascination: Coral Reef) 3D Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Faszin...Blu-ray/24535/

It is a native 3D disc - not a cheap-o conversion and has a nice lenticular cover - so for those who don't have enough underwater 3D discs, here's another one.

But here's the rub (!) - importers beware - the sleeve lists REGIONS ABC - but the disc is actually locked to REGION B!
Apparently, there a volume 2 and 3 coming out next year
Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #72
Power Member

Mar 2009
Monrovia, CA

Quote:
That real of fake 3D site used to be reliable but it's become too convoluted due to his definition's of real 3D. It's difficult categorizing these sorts of films and just putting them into 2 categories doesn't help when there are films that are partially converted or converted using advanced processes.

I'd consider Transformers 3 to be a "real" 3D film even though there were scenes that were converted. The majority of scenes are in 3D and they are done very well.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #73

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenostalgia23 View Post
That real of fake 3D site used to be reliable but it's become too convoluted due to his definition's of real 3D. It's difficult categorizing these sorts of films and just putting them into 2 categories doesn't help when there are films that are partially converted or converted using advanced processes.

I'd consider Transformers 3 to be a "real" 3D film even though there were scenes that were converted. The majority of scenes are in 3D and they are done very well.
yeah there should be another category called "hybrid" for movies that has CGI in 3d while the rest of the movie is converted.

Trasformers is a perfect example, also "green lantern" and maybe many more.

Also i would put old Disney's 3d conversions like "beauty and the beast" and "lion king" as real 3d, as they are 2d cartoons the best you can do is to have layers at different depth and is exactly what they have done, it can't be more 3d than this.
Disney has provided the original layers so there was not the need to "redesign" the hidden parts for the right eye like they usually do on fake conversions.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #74

Dec 2012

About the crappy german conversions i have "found" most of the titles you are talking about so if you are unsure about the quality before purchasing those ones i can extract a 30 second sample so you can have a look about the 3d quality.
I've had a quick look on those titles by the way and any 3d released exclusively in germany is usually a crap conversion, only exceptions are some documentaries and animations and probably a couple of titles, if you want more informations let me know.

i would like to know also who is actually making those conversion, maybe they have a website and maybe we can find a list of that movies so we can avoid that easily
i've searche dwith no luck, maybe if someone is able to search in german language he will probably have more chances.

Last edited by typhoon; 12-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies