Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #1281
rickah88 rickah88 is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
rickah88's Avatar
 
May 2010
Columbia, MD
1550
183
2
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
Does this mean that I can't post in your new thread?
Of course you can, just not about streaming!
 
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #1282
Toptube Toptube is offline
Power Member
 
Toptube's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
You say "potentially". Have you ever done it?
This " (assuming I watch them within 20 hours of receiving)." was to imply that I have done it/do it on a regular basis. As long as I watch each movie within about 1 day, I can hit 8 movies per month.

11 seems pretty exceptional. I'm not surprise they balance/throttle for that sort of turnaround.
Pizza Breath in The Nostrils of Love

PSN/EA Origin = Toptube (for BF4)
 
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #1283
raygendreau raygendreau is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptube View Post
This " (assuming I watch them within 20 hours of receiving)." was to imply that I have done it/do it on a regular basis. As long as I watch each movie within about 1 day, I can hit 8 movies per month.

11 seems pretty exceptional. I'm not surprise they balance/throttle for that sort of turnaround.
Pretty good. I only had around a 6 hour window. I received the rental by mail around 10 A.M. and had to get it back to the Post Office before 5 P.M.

And your plan is mail only or does in include streaming? Do they ship from the same distribution center each time? With me, they started shipping from distant centers that resulted in a week or more delay in delivery.
 
Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #1284
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Why have Netflix removed the new releases and recently added section from the home screen? Is this a consequence of losing a lot of content recently?
 
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #1285
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
slick1ru2's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The South
477
130
10
Default

Having a blast looking at all the different NetFlix country offerings via high speed VPN. Homeland season 1 and 2 here, Taken 2 there, The Butler in another country, etc etc.

But it only works if you have streaming ONLY.


or http://www.unblock-us.com/
PSN Name slick1ru2
XBox Gamer Tag slick1ru2
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
 
Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #1286
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
Having a blast looking at all the different NetFlix country offerings via high speed VPN. Homeland season 1 and 2 here, Taken 2 there, The Butler in another country, etc etc.

But it only works if you have streaming ONLY.

Watch any country version of Netflix! US, GB, CANADA! Easy! - YouTube

or http://www.unblock-us.com/
The word on the street in the UK is that people are disillusioned about lack of new content and are switching back to dvd. Figures IMO, back that rumour up. Disc sales are good in UK at moment.
 
Old 03-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #1287
vargo vargo is offline
Active Member
 
May 2011
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
The word on the street in the UK is that people are disillusioned about lack of new content and are switching back to dvd. Figures IMO, back that rumour up. Disc sales are good in UK at moment.
Where are these figures?
 
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #1288
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
slick1ru2's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The South
477
130
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
The word on the street in the UK is that people are disillusioned about lack of new content and are switching back to dvd. Figures IMO, back that rumour up. Disc sales are good in UK at moment.
Would that be your street? UK Netflix got worldwide phenomenons American Horror Story and Homeland along with Sherlock and the new Dr. Who last month alone.

And subs when up by over 500k in the past 6 months.
PSN Name slick1ru2
XBox Gamer Tag slick1ru2
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
 
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #1289
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
slick1ru2's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The South
477
130
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargo View Post
Where are these figures?
Thin air?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-revenues.html

Quote:
Netflix, Spotify and other streaming services have helped to boost the UK home entertainment sector's revenues to 5.3 billion, according to new figures.

Figures released by the Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA) found around 60 per cent of video, games and music sales were internet-derived. The other 40 per cent was generated by physical high street shops.

The revenue of streaming services Netflix, Lovefilm and Spotify, alongside in-app purchases for games including Angry Birds and Moshi Monsters grew to 26 per cent.

The video-on-demand service sector grew by 120 per cent on the year, making it the fastest-growing area of the home entertainment market.

Netflix now reportedly has exceeded two million subscribers in the UK since its launch in 2012, and has over 33 million global users.
PSN Name slick1ru2
XBox Gamer Tag slick1ru2
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #1290
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargo View Post
Where are these figures?
I will see if I can dig them out. You do know I am talking dvd and bluray sales just to be clear?
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #1291
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
Have you seen the bluray sales for the last two weeks alone?
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #1292
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
Would that be your street? UK Netflix got worldwide phenomenons American Horror Story and Homeland along with Sherlock and the new Dr. Who last month alone.

And subs when up by over 500k in the past 6 months.
They also lost a big heap of shows at the turn of the year. A BIG heap!

Besides, I have already seen the shows you mentioned in nice crisp bluray quality. Old hat, move along!
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #1293
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Netflix, in my opinion, is just going to end up as someone's b.i.t.c.h. I think that is obvious. It looks like streaming tech is heading exactly where I thought it was. SD streams on little screens where the quality doesn't really matter. Great for kids but for people who like their entertainment without getting a headache pretty useless. Look at the Disney deal with Dish. The future focus will be personal subscriptions on (in my opinion) smartphones. Same for netflix with their cheap as chips SD only offering ( might as well be called smartphone option). If you are into watching all your content on a smartphone then I suppose that's great. Anyone else, well quality is going bye bye. If you ain't got 20/20 vision then you are screwed.
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #1294
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
slick1ru2's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The South
477
130
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Netflix, in my opinion, is just going to end up as someone's b.i.t.c.h. I think that is obvious. It looks like streaming tech is heading exactly where I thought it was. SD streams on little screens where the quality doesn't really matter. Great for kids but for people who like their entertainment without getting a headache pretty useless. Look at the Disney deal with Dish. The future focus will be personal subscriptions on (in my opinion) smartphones. Same for netflix with their cheap as chips SD only offering ( might as well be called smartphone option). If you are into watching all your content on a smartphone then I suppose that's great. Anyone else, well quality is going bye bye. If you ain't got 20/20 vision then you are screwed.

You did see that in the UK streaming content made up for 60% of last year's entertainment numbers, physical media was 40% of last years 5.3 billion industry sales. Last I checked 60>40. Not to mention grow rates of over 100%.

You bias isn't shared by the majority. NetFlix subs have grown over 500K in the UK alone in the past 6 months.

Your feelings don't jive with facts like in this January 2014 article.

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/blu-ra...ng-takes-hold/

Disc sales down almost a billion dollars from 2012 to 2013 while digital rentals up 39%.
PSN Name slick1ru2
XBox Gamer Tag slick1ru2
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #1295
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
slick1ru2's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The South
477
130
10
Default

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/dig...13-1201033986/

Digital Sales Show Biggest Home Entertainment Gains in 2013



Quote:
U.S. home video spending rose nearly 1 per cent to $18.2 billion in 2013, the second straight year of growth as higher spending on video streaming subscriptions and digital purchases offset the decline in DVDs.
- See more at: http://www.courierislander.com/us-ho....7EmveDP5.dpuf
PSN Name slick1ru2
XBox Gamer Tag slick1ru2
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #1296
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/dig...13-1201033986/

Digital Sales Show Biggest Home Entertainment Gains in 2013



- See more at: http://www.courierislander.com/us-ho....7EmveDP5.dpuf
We could all pick and choose articles that paints our opposite views in a positive light. Digital sales grew because they were so pitiful that it couldn't really go any other way for example.
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #1297
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
You did see that in the UK streaming content made up for 60% of last year's entertainment numbers, physical media was 40% of last years 5.3 billion industry sales. Last I checked 60>40. Not to mention grow rates of over 100%.

You bias isn't shared by the majority. NetFlix subs have grown over 500K in the UK alone in the past 6 months.

Your feelings don't jive with facts like in this January 2014 article.

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/blu-ra...ng-takes-hold/

Disc sales down almost a billion dollars from 2012 to 2013 while digital rentals up 39%.
So how do you address the quality issues? Or the fact streaming is being moulded into a smartphone only thing? I always assumed you strived for high quality with your streaming media? I have said along streaming represents low quality on crappy little screens. Recent developments back that up.
 
Old 03-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #1298
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
671
1031
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
You did see that in the UK streaming content made up for 60% of last year's entertainment numbers, physical media was 40% of last years 5.3 billion industry sales. Last I checked 60>40. Not to mention grow rates of over 100%.
Are you sure that you aren't misinterpreting that data? This was the exact quote from that article, which you put in an earlier post:

Quote:
Figures released by the Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA) found around 60 per cent of video, games and music sales were internet-derived. The other 40 per cent was generated by physical high street shops.
Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't sound like a specific break down of digital media (i.e. streaming, digital download) versus physical media (i.e. discs). It sounds more like the method of purchase being internet based as opposed to being from a physical store location. It appears to be worded in a very misleading way to make it sound like digital media is vastly leading over physical media, when that doesn't really seem to be the case.

Someone ordering a DVD or Blu-Ray from Amazon, for example, would likely be counted as an "internet-derived" purchase, based on how this is worded... but of course so would a purchase of a digital download. So that 60% is probably some kind of mix between physical and digital. But we don't know for sure which of the two it leans in favor of based on this data.

As for the 40% from stores, while I suppose some of those could potentially be digital sales (by way of itunes cards, PSN/XBL/PC-game related download cards, and so on... assuming they count those as physical store sales of digital media), odds are the vast majority of that 40% is made up of physical media purchases since that's what dominates in physical stores. So between these two, odds are physical media still likely makes up the majority of sales. But they opt not to specify those percentages.

Also, while the article goes on to talk about Video-On-Demand and streaming services, I believe those are completely separate statements and I don't think that they are specifically counted in that 60/40 quote. That quote is referring to SALES... as in you flat out buy a movie, song/album, or a game either on physical media or via digital download. VOD and streaming services are just that... services, the equivalent of rental. They would not count in sales tracking data.


While I'm sure that streaming services and other digital distribution methods are likely more popular and doing better than Steedeel is trying to make it sound, I also don't think that they are making up anywhere near the percentage of the market that you are trying to make it seem, either.
___________________
Behold the power of "wisdom"
http://forum.blu-ray.com/5245258-post36909.html

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 03-25-2014 at 04:00 PM.
 
Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #1299
slick1ru2 slick1ru2 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
slick1ru2's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
The South
477
130
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
We could all pick and choose articles that paints our opposite views in a positive light. Digital sales grew because they were so pitiful that it couldn't really go any other way for example.
You can't post one fact, only feelings. I didn't post articles, I posted sales figures.

Fact: Streaming sales are up, physical media down this past year
Fact: Streaming killed Blockbuster
Fact: Redbox has seen declines, so much its having to branch out into, get this,STREAMING
Fact: Streaming members continue to grow. The latest forecast is for NetFlix to have 60-90 million subscribers in 10 years.
Fact: While Streaming isn't Blu-ray quality, the quality of streaming content is always increasing and closing the gap. The next codec on the horizon is going to really bring the difference closer.

Pull your head out of the sand. Streaming is growing worldwide, like it or not. Fact, physical media is down, like it or not.
PSN Name slick1ru2
XBox Gamer Tag slick1ru2
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
 
Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #1300
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Apr 2011
England
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1ru2 View Post
You can't post one fact, only feelings. I didn't post articles, I posted sales figures.

Fact: Streaming sales are up, physical media down this past year
Fact: Streaming killed Blockbuster
Fact: Redbox has seen declines, so much its having to branch out into, get this,STREAMING
Fact: Streaming members continue to grow. The latest forecast is for NetFlix to have 60-90 million subscribers in 10 years.
Fact: While Streaming isn't Blu-ray quality, the quality of streaming content is always increasing and closing the gap. The next codec on the horizon is going to really bring the difference closer.

Pull your head out of the sand. Streaming is growing worldwide, like it or not. Fact, physical media is down, like it or not.
Bluray is not down but you probably know that already.
The new codec will also allow better quality on disc, a world apart from ANYTHING streaming will offer.
Those data caps aren't increasing are they?

Last edited by Steedeel; 03-25-2014 at 04:20 PM.
 
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 PM.