COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Sin City (Blu-ray)
$7.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
River of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$12.15
Shameless: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.96
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #1301
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
The Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansolo View Post
Aren't they all toy commercials?
Great toy commercials....except Cars.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #1302
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
My look at The Resucers Down Under at Talkbacker. No, the heavens were fine. Wasn't bad at all.

http://talkbacker.com/bluray/reviews...cuers/id=30336
Haven't read the article yet, how much of it is non-obsessively about OTHER scenes besides the eagle and the opening credits?
(Or is the usual argument "Go for the credits, stay for the movie!"?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroK View Post
Brave was good, but I felt it was a little dark.
Pixar was allowed to rise above Brave as "Brenda Chapman's tantrum".
(And for all the current Frozen-hype articles about "Jennifer Lee leading the new wave of female animation directors", those of us with longer memories politely cough "Ahem...At least she's not throwing rants about the 'Male Hollywood conspiracy' when her films end up biased, flimsy and half-written.")

You can sit and pick out the bits that Pixar's brain trust tried to put into the film out of thin air after she was kicked out, just to fill the story void up enough to make it look like a "real" Pixar film.
Blaming Brave on Pixar is like blaming Lone Ranger on Disney--Sometimes the looney director has to take the chop him/herself.

Last edited by EricJ; 07-16-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #1303
Special Member

Nov 2009
UK

Quote:
My look at The Resucers Down Under at Talkbacker. No, the heavens were fine. Wasn't bad at all.

http://talkbacker.com/bluray/reviews...cuers/id=30336
Much better than the awful Rescuers, but I think you'll disagree with me there too.
Wishlist Over the Hedge (Dreamworks), Lemony Snicket's (Paramount), Order of the Phoenix Extended Edition (Warner Brothers)

Sale Items Beauty and the Beast, Inception, Toy Story 3, District 9 & Karate Kid PM please :)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 AM   #1304

Aug 2013
Ontario, Canada

I feel like I may be the only one who prefers RDU to the original. The original was more boring to me (not saying it was bad, I still really loved the emotional quality to it), while the second gave me a perfect combination of comedy, emotion, and action.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:21 AM   #1305

Apr 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Brave was good, but I felt it was a little dark.
Brave a little dark??

I felt like it was dull and pulled its punches. No memorable characters at all.

The core of the story was ripped practically right from Brother Bear... a flop in the 90's... and just remixed a little.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 07-16-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 AM   #1306

Apr 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtiffani View Post
+1
Oh yes, I agree wholeheartedly that Atmos can be a fantastic upgrade to the sonic experience... and it's coming to Blu-ray this year! With the right gear it can handle up to 34 speakers (object based sound makes it like having 34 discrete channels)!!

I just wish better movies went with the better audio.

I'm drooling over the prospects of something like Raiders of the Lost Ark with a great Atmos remix!!

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 07-16-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #1307

Nov 2010

Quote:
Great toy commercials....except Cars.

HaHa great one

for the record Cars and Cars 2 were a blast

incidentally, Cars 2 was the last great Pixar flick
spies, comedy, weapons, an over the top villain, action, car violence,
foreign lands

and
I learned something about friendship in the end

Brave and M.U. were only fair story wise for Pixar that is ,
while fantastic visually
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #1308

Apr 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post
HaHa great one

for the record Cars and Cars 2 were a blast

incidentally, Cars 2 was the last great Pixar flick
spies, comedy, weapons, an over the top villain, action, car violence,
foreign lands

and
I learned something about friendship in the end

Brave and M.U. were only fair story wise for Pixar that is ,
while fantastic visually
Cars 2 could have used a heck of a lot less Mater. Great as a dumb sidekick or secondary character, but a little (a very little) of "Larry the Cable Guy" (Daniel Lawrence Whitney) goes a long, long way.

They made him the main character! Argh!

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 07-16-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #1309
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Brave a little dark??

I felt like it was dull and pulled its punches. No memorable characters at all.

The core of the story was ripped practically right from Brother Bear... a flop in the 90's... and just remixed a little.
Brother Bear came out in 2003.

I saw both and other than the animal I saw few similarities.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #1310

Apr 2012
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Brother Bear came out in 2003.

I saw both and other than the animal I saw few similarities.

It seemed longer than that...

And I'm not the only one who saw more than a passing similarity in the transformation of a human into a bear by a curse (when I think of Scotland the last animal I think of is a bear) in order to have an inner attitude re-adjustment and reconciliation with their family.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 07-16-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #1311

Feb 2011

On a quick side-note, what the hell happened to the Muppets: Most Wanted pre-order? It came down a week after it went up and still hasn't come back...
Luckily I managed to pre-order it and it hasn't disappeared...YET...
Is it still coming out on August 12th... Or... What the hell is going on over at Disney??!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #1312
Power Member

Sep 2007
The Tragic City

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
On a quick side-note, what the hell happened to the Muppets: Most Wanted pre-order? It came down a week after it went up and still hasn't come back...
Luckily I managed to pre-order it and it hasn't disappeared...YET...
Is it still coming out on August 12th... Or... What the hell is going on over at Disney??!
Sounds like an Amazon thing. It's available for pre-order directly from Disney, and at Disney Movie Club, Barnes & Noble, Target.com...
Old 07-18-2014, 01:39 AM   #1313
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk_Tan View Post
Much better than the awful Rescuers, but I think you'll disagree with me there too.
Original Rescuers has more heart and better all-round character animation. People cry watching the first film. Penny's sincere self-doubt and despair over finding a foster family because she believes she's too "plain" to be loved -- and Medusa twisting that knife -- just wrecks me. Thomas, Johnston, and Kahl's work in the film is wonderful, but the shortcuts in animation tech and the shortcomings in story editing weaken the overall effort.

Terrible fan dub of crucial scene...

HD version of following scene, with recycled animation from BAMBI

Second film - as I say in my review - was really a tech demo reel, but it knocked my socks off. I never thought I'd see classic production values restored to Disney animation and I couldn't believe my own eyes. RDU was an amazing experience. Too bad it opened against Home Alone and got slaughtered at the box office, same way Pooh got steamrolled opening against the final Potter film. RDU is a great film experience. Easily one of my favorites.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 07-18-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #1314
Special Member

Nov 2009
UK

Quote:
Original Rescuers has more heart and better all-round character animation. People cry watching the first film. Penny's sincere self-doubt and despair over finding a foster family because she believes she's too "plain" to be loved -- and Medusa twisting that knife -- just wrecks me. Thomas, Johnston, and Kahl's work in the film is wonderful, but the shortcuts in animation tech and the shortcomings in story editing weaken the overall effort.

The Rescuers - Penny & Rufus - YouTube

Terrible fan dub of crucial scene...

The rescuers (Fandub as Medusa and Penny) - YouTube

HD version of following scene, with recycled animation from BAMBI

The Rescuers - Someone's Waiting for You - YouTube

Second film - as I say in my review - was really a tech demo reel, but it knocked my socks off. I never thought I'd see classic production values restored to Disney animation and I couldn't believe my own eyes. RDU was an amazing experience. Too bad it opened against Home Alone and got slaughtered at the box office, same way Pooh got steamrolled opening against the final Potter film. RDU is a great film experience. Easily one of my favorites.
I'm not sure I saw Bambi before Rescuers, or whether I just didn't notice it, but it's obvious now that you've told me.

Anyway, the HD, or Blu version of the film, the animation doesn't look great, it seems quality was pretty low. I just remember a lot of very rough looking scenes. Probably one of the worst I've seen in the Disney catalogue. Maybe even the worst.

Something bothered me about that Penny scene. I'm not sure what. The whole thing seemed off, from the animation to the voice, to the story. Didn't like it. Medusa and her minion and that part of the story was also very disjointed.

RDU looks amazing and is a decent way to pass the time, but it's still rather inconsequential.
Wishlist Over the Hedge (Dreamworks), Lemony Snicket's (Paramount), Order of the Phoenix Extended Edition (Warner Brothers)

Sale Items Beauty and the Beast, Inception, Toy Story 3, District 9 & Karate Kid PM please :)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #1315
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Too bad it opened against Home Alone and got slaughtered at the box office, same way Pooh got steamrolled opening against the final Potter film.
Not to mention that releasing it in a double feature with the Prince & the Pauper short was in part a good move for the studio--in that it got Mickey Mouse's 80's career jumpstarted again--but also hurt the film, in that we sat through most of the dreary RDU thinking "...Could we have that first short back again? "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk_Tan View Post
Anyway, the HD, or Blu version of the film, the animation doesn't look great, it seems quality was pretty low. I just remember a lot of very rough looking scenes. Probably one of the worst I've seen in the Disney catalogue. Maybe even the worst.

Something bothered me about that Penny scene. I'm not sure what. The whole thing seemed off, from the animation to the voice, to the story. Didn't like it. Medusa and her minion and that part of the story was also very disjointed.
Medusa was basically a ripoff, since the story was that Disney originally wanted to bring Cruella DeVille back, but her author Dodie Smith complained.
So, if Medusa seems like a "cheap replacement", you're not far off.

(Also, this would be around the Robin Hood/Fox & the Hound late 70's-early 80's when Don Bluth was becoming more of an influence on the studio--complete with the creepy/sickening winsome-tot All Dogs Go To Heaven-ness that would later manifest itself in his solo career--and half the longtime animators at the studio hated him for it. And not without good reason.)

Last edited by EricJ; 07-18-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #1316
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Not to mention that releasing it in a double feature with the Prince & the Pauper short was in part a good move for the studio--in that it got Mickey Mouse's 80's career jumpstarted again--but also hurt the film, in that we sat through most of the dreary RDU thinking "...Could we have that first short back again? "
I had the opposite reaction -- thought Pauper was sweet, but innocuous. RDU, on the other hand, was a rollicking great time.

Quote:
Medusa was basically a ripoff, since the story was that Disney originally wanted to bring Cruella DeVille back, but her author Dodie Smith complained.
So, if Medusa seems like a "cheap replacement", you're not far off.

(Also, this would be around the Robin Hood/Fox & the Hound late 70's-early 80's when Don Bluth was becoming more of an influence on the studio--complete with the creepy/sickening winsome-tot All Dogs Go To Heaven-ness that would later manifest itself in his solo career--and half the longtime animators at the studio hated him for it. And not without good reason.)
Don Bluth animated the scene where Bianca and Bernard take a short cut through the zoo. It is a completely pointless scene, adds nothing to the story, and was cut from storybook and LP versions of the film. Plus, you can always tell when you're watching Don Bluth animation because he can't keep his characters' tongues in their mouths.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (07-18-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #1317
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

This week on Talkbacker, I take a look at Lady and the Tramp and discuss Leonard Maltin's criticism that the literal nature of the film takes a lot of fun out of animation...

http://talkbacker.com/movies/disney-...tramp/id=33615

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 07-19-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #1318

Feb 2012
Austria

Quote:
This week on Talkbacker
I just had to ask:
Any chance you'll cover Treasure Planet anytime soon? It's the RDU of the 2000'ies after all and a true underdog.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #1319
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak2000 View Post
I just had to ask:
Any chance you'll cover Treasure Planet anytime soon? It's the RDU of the 2000'ies after all and a true underdog.
I try to do one a week, usually have them up on Fridays. Not a lot of breaking news on the weekends, so I publish on the weekends to help out with site traffic. Ideally I'm going to try and step them up because I'd like to be done before Big Hero 6....otherwise I'd have to go back and re-order the whole series.

Treasure Planet is sooner rather than later, if that's any help.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
animated, animation, canon, classics, disney, official, pixar, release, status