Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Despicable Me 2 $9.96 (68% sold out)
Now: Magic Mike $3.96 (33% sold out)
Soon: Rio 2 ()
Soon: Snow White and the Huntsman ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
13 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
10 hrs ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
15 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
10 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
10 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
12 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
15 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
10 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
10 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.00
14 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #461

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the unrated Dead Alive version to Braindead. Snappier pace.
It's easily the best version of the film. There is a huge amount of people who will always prefer the longer cut of EVERY SINGLE film because in there own minds, a longer film is a better film.
Thanks given by:
Davidian (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #462

Aug 2010
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Pure Doom View Post
It's easily the best version of the film. There is a huge amount of people who will always prefer the longer cut of EVERY SINGLE film because in there own minds, a longer film is a better film.
I want the longer cut not because it's longer but because it's the version I know, the version I originally saw in the cinema, way back in 1992 or whenever it was.

I really don't give a monkeys whether the US cut is Jackson's preferred version or not.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #463
Special Member

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I'd be fine with a decent bluray of Dead Alive, some of that extra junk seems like it would actually make the movie inferior. I'm never for "extended cuts" being the only version on a disc if they're not what the director intended, just put them in the deleted scenes or have a second version on the disc!
In the case of Braindead, the New Zealand cut is the original theatrical cut of the film, not an extended version. Story goes (I dunno if it's ever been entirely confirmed), during the wait between NZ and USA release, Jackson decided to make the movie more lean. The name change probably has to do with separating it from the 1990 movie Brain Dead. It's essential we have the uncut Braindead on Blu-ray at some point.

But yes, having seen both cuts numerous times, while the original cut has a lot of really funny bits, compared to Dead Alive I feel like it drags at parts. If Jackson did re-cut the movie and the US version is his preference, I could believe that because it flows so much better, and something like 98% of the gore is intact. I'd still love to have the original cut on Blu-ray though, because it's definitely worth seeing multiple times, and my Raro DVD looks like absolute dick (plus it has Italian credits and a non-animated movie title; and it's missing the "God Save the Queen" segment at the beginning, which is incidental).

Dead Alive is my preference, right down to the name and title screen, but Braindead is well worth seeing.
"I can't forgive myself for having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished. And the other is the phone book."
Old 11-25-2014, 03:56 AM   #464

May 2010

Thanks given by:
JRob (11-26-2014), Mobe1969 (11-26-2014), petrified-eye (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #465
Special Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Empire is the UK magazine, so maybe Arrow or Second Sight are working on a blu-ray release.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #466

May 2010

I know Empire is a UK magazine, and I'm not sure about the UK rights, but the US rights have gone back to Jackson, so this restoration will, most likely, appear in the US from whatever company gets the film. Any way, we now have evidence that a new Blu is in the works from some unknown company and I hope no one over pays for the OOP Lionsgate Blu.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #467

May 2013

Great news that a proper restoration of Jackson's second-best film will finally hit Blu. The uncut version is essential; I'll be glad to finally be able to retire my old Japanese LD.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (11-26-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #468

May 2014

Wow, I didn't know that Dead Alive was OOP. Does anyone know why? I'd like to see a rerelease of Dead Alive provided Jackson does some good extra features like his other films have. I thought the blu-ray quality was fine, but a remaster certainly wouldn't hurt. Hopefully Bad Taste is in the works too.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #469

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
I know Empire is a UK magazine, and I'm not sure about the UK rights, but the US rights have gone back to Jackson, so this restoration will, most likely, appear in the US from whatever company gets the film. Any way, we now have evidence that a new Blu is in the works from some unknown company and I hope no one over pays for the OOP Lionsgate Blu.
I'm pretty sure he owns all rights worldwide..

I'm not holding my breath though, Blu-Ray.com reported on this back in 2009 remember.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #470
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post

I'm not holding my breath though, Blu-Ray.com reported on this back in 2009 remember.
I'm about to have a marathon with my imaginary blu-rays of Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles! Then on to Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair. Dead Alive is messing it all up by being real.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #471
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
In the case of Braindead, the New Zealand cut is the original theatrical cut of the film, not an extended version. Story goes (I dunno if it's ever been entirely confirmed), during the wait between NZ and USA release, Jackson decided to make the movie more lean. The name change probably has to do with separating it from the 1990 movie Brain Dead. It's essential we have the uncut Braindead on Blu-ray at some point.

But yes, having seen both cuts numerous times, while the original cut has a lot of really funny bits, compared to Dead Alive I feel like it drags at parts. If Jackson did re-cut the movie and the US version is his preference, I could believe that because it flows so much better, and something like 98% of the gore is intact. I'd still love to have the original cut on Blu-ray though, because it's definitely worth seeing multiple times, and my Raro DVD looks like absolute dick (plus it has Italian credits and a non-animated movie title; and it's missing the "God Save the Queen" segment at the beginning, which is incidental).

Dead Alive is my preference, right down to the name and title screen, but Braindead is well worth seeing.
I too prefer the Dead Alive cut even though living in UK, the commonly released version here is Braindead. Jackson has a habit of letting everything drag on for too long and the shorter cut is better paced.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #472
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

I hope this comes to fruition this time. It makes sense, actually, with Jackson wrapping up his Hobbit trilogy and presumably having nothing else planned for the immediate future. At this point I don't care about extras, just give us all known versions of the film. If we get that and they do a nice job on the transfer then I'll be more than happy.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #473

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post

Circle of the internet... I posted the post at AV Maniacs that Adam Tyner quoted in his post at DVD Talk that was the source for Blu-ray.com's report.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #474

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I hope this comes to fruition this time. It makes sense, actually, with Jackson wrapping up his Hobbit trilogy and presumably having nothing else planned for the immediate future. At this point I don't care about extras, just give us all known versions of the film. If we get that and they do a nice job on the transfer then I'll be more than happy.
i care about extras... after Jackson promising a big special edition he'd be putting together personally since the time of the first LotR trilogy, we've waited a long time to get stuck with no frills now.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #475
Power Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
[Show spoiler]
While I'm glad I was able to get the OOP Blu-Ray, I'll take an improved release any day.
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1500 Blu-Rays as of 11/17/14: The Complete Jacques Tati: Criterion Collection
Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #476
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
i care about extras... after Jackson promising a big special edition he'd be putting together personally since the time of the first LotR trilogy, we've waited a long time to get stuck with no frills now.

Fair enough. I used to be very much into extras, until they turned into pointless EPKs of backslapping and "he was fun to work with" type of comments. But I agree that an extras-packed release is sexier than plain vanilla one
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #477

Aug 2010
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
Fair enough. I used to be very much into extras, until they turned into pointless EPKs of backslapping and "he was fun to work with" type of comments. But I agree that an extras-packed release is sexier than plain vanilla one
I hardly ever have time or inclination to watch extras, but extras on older films, with a bit of historical perspective, are always much more interesting than the fluff that comes with new films ("I was interested in the role because it's rare to see such a strong female character..." )

If Jackson hasn't the time to revisit his early films, I wish he'd let someone else (Arrow....? Shout....?) have a go - assuming he has some kind of control over the rights.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #478

Jun 2013

"Cinema Cult:
We were going to but we lost it at the 11th hour. Sorry to say won't be releasing it."

Wondering who will release it.
Its all about rock n roll and horror...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America