Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM   #581
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
I didn't know Orci also worked on Enterprise.
Touché, sir. But given that 9/11 happened just over two weeks before Enterprise premiered on TV, it's only natural that they'd want to address it as part of their storytelling and they did exactly that with the Xindi planet weapon arc in season 3. The difference between them and Orci is that their version of 9/11 was used as the framing device for a story which didn't take on a political viewpoint, instead it was simply about the survival of the human race.

But Orci used his time on the Trek rebootquel to get out his "truth telling" soapbox and lay bare what REALLY ( ) happened with 9/11 and the War on Terror, delivering a horribly jumbled and half-baked story at the expense of getting "the truth" out there, and in the process he poisoned the very soul of Star Trek.

Into Darkness is a decent action movie, but an utterly appalling Star Trek film.
Thanks given by:
djakrse (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #582
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Hahahahhaaaaaaaaa, Orci walked because he thought Paramount shouldn't be ****ing with Trek like that - but this is coming from the guy who clearly doesn't know how the Prime Directive is supposed to work and who turned Trek into a barely-disguised polemic about 9/11 and the War on Terror? Hell with this hypocritical douchebag, Paramount need to get rid of Orci completely. Even if they make another brainless action film that's Star Trek in name only, I'd be so much happier if it didn't have his name on it.
And Nicholas Meyer turned Trek into a Shakespearean cold war thriller.

I like the idea of Wyatt doing a Trek film. Apes was terrific.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM   #583
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I'll take Shakespeare-quoting Klingons any day of the week and twice on Sundays over the next thing that that cock-juggler Orci could deliver. Using Trek to hold a mirror up to society is one thing - it's something that it's always done - but my point is that in the hands of Orci that mirror was warped and twisted into reflecting an entirely self-serving conspiracy-theorist agenda, thereby completely undermining the collective humanist goals of Roddenberry's original premise.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM   #584
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Warsteiner Asylum

and suddenly visions of DS9 are dancing in my head.....
"Don't be stupid, this is way more entertaining than Hollywood's ever gonna be!" - Revy, Black Lagoon

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - TV Show Host, Robocop

What really happened to Farscape!
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #585
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Touché, sir. But given that 9/11 happened just over two weeks before Enterprise premiered on TV, it's only natural that they'd want to address it as part of their storytelling and they did exactly that with the Xindi planet weapon arc in season 3. The difference between them and Orci is that their version of 9/11 was used as the framing device for a story which didn't take on a political viewpoint, instead it was simply about the survival of the human race.

But Orci used his time on the Trek rebootquel to get out his "truth telling" soapbox and lay bare what REALLY ( ) happened with 9/11 and the War on Terror, delivering a horribly jumbled and half-baked story at the expense of getting "the truth" out there, and in the process he poisoned the very soul of Star Trek.

Into Darkness is a decent action movie, but an utterly appalling Star Trek film.
Wait. Wouldn't they have already wrapped the pilot by the time 9/11 happened, if it was only two weeks previous?
Team Gale 4EVA! :)

Bring back the UO THREAD!
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #586
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Texas, USA

Quote:

Orci happens to be a huge trek fan... and a conspiracy theory nutcase. It's obvious he got to combine his two passions. I'd prefer just about anyone take over, such that his name wasn't attached.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #587
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
Wait. Wouldn't they have already wrapped the pilot by the time 9/11 happened, if it was only two weeks previous?
I don't quite follow. I didn't say that they made Enterprise in response to 9/11, I said that it debuted at basically the same time, and so it was never far from people's thoughts, hence the overt 9/11 metaphors (although it's certainly not a polemic a la Orci) which kicked off S3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
and suddenly visions of DS9 are dancing in my head.....
DS9 did what it did quite brilliantly: to take an objective view of religion framed through the worship of aliens deemed to be Gods by a certain race (which is a classic sci-fi device in and of itself), and even at the very end it was still about people coming together to advance the cause of whatever race they belonged to: [SPOILERS]............ Odo returning to his homeland and sharing what he'd learned about human kind, Kira swallowing her pride to help Damar to free Cardassia, Sisko killing Dukat to ensure that Bajor remained free, Worf killing the power-mad Gowron and handing power to Martok to ensure that the Klingon forces would continue to support the Federation in the war, I could go on. DS9 is still fundamentally about working towards "the greater good" at its core, which is what Trek is all about.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #588
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by djakrse View Post
Orci happens to be a huge trek fan... and a conspiracy theory nutcase. It's obvious he got to combine his two passions. I'd prefer just about anyone take over, such that his name wasn't attached.
That's what I said before. Hell, I don't care if it's so bad that it makes Final Frontier look like 2001, just get Orci away from Star Trek. Please.
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #589
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
I don't quite follow. I didn't say that they made Enterprise in response to 9/11, I said that it debuted at basically the same time, and so it was never far from people's thoughts, hence the overt 9/11 metaphors (although it's certainly not a polemic a la Orci) which kicked off S3.
OK, sorry. Misunderstood your post. Haven't had a drink yet today.
Team Gale 4EVA! :)

Bring back the UO THREAD!
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM   #590
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by djakrse View Post
oh yeah, I remember wincing when Orci's name was attached to the writing of STID... the man can't help but cram in a horribly mutilated conspiracy theory into everything he does
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #591
Expert Member

Oct 2013
South London, UK

More lame news, Star Trek 3 may go down Guardians of the Galaxy route

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/16/para...-like-guardia/

Hey here's an idea, why not make the next Star Trek film like say...Star Trek, or is that too stupid?

As if the last Star Trek Die Hard hybrid wasn't enough -_-

Last edited by Spirit Zero; Yesterday at 02:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #592
Power Member

Oct 2007

Because the trek films that have been the most like trek have historically been box office failures.
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies