Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #221
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
It was a dodgy choice but he actually does OK with it. The film is good enough to overcome this but casting directors need to think things through a little better.
I thought it worked rather well. McTiernan did the same thing with The Hunt for Red October by beginning it in Russian and then transitioning it over to English.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #222
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

I am one of the few that absolutely love this move and I cannot find it and Amazon wants 35.00 is tis OOP?
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 AM   #223

Apr 2009
Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
I am one of the few that absolutely love this move and I cannot find it and Amazon wants 35.00 is tis OOP?
I think you need to look a little deeper at that Amazon listing. What you were looking at was the first release of that film, which is being sold by a third party through Amazon at that price. However, there's used copies starting at less that $4. Or, you could buy the newer release from Amazon for a little over $12.50 through this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Valkyrie-Blu-r...s=valkyrie+blu
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #224
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall835 View Post
I think you need to look a little deeper at that Amazon listing. What you were looking at was the first release of that film, which is being sold by a third party through Amazon at that price. However, there's used copies starting at less that $4. Or, you could buy the newer release from Amazon for a little over $12.50 through this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Valkyrie-Blu-r...s=valkyrie+blu
Thank you
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #225
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

Costco today 7.99 with 10.00 movie cash for AGDTDH
Old 05-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #226

Nov 2011
Maine, usa
Default What's the aspect?

When I jump to amazon via the buy now button, the resulting page indicates a 1.33 aspect pan/scan.

Does anyone know what the disc actually is?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #227
Special Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm58 View Post
When I jump to amazon via the buy now button, the resulting page indicates a 1.33 aspect pan/scan.

Does anyone know what the disc actually is?
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #228
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I think I saw it once on TV, or part of it or something - in any case, I didn't have the highest of hopes, especially for $4.99! I kinda thought I might quickly try to sell it, but ... instead, my TC collection just got one film heavier.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #229
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I think I saw it once on TV, or part of it or something - in any case, I didn't have the highest of hopes, especially for $4.99! I kinda thought I might quickly try to sell it, but ... instead, my TC collection just got one film heavier.
It is an excellent film with some great performances to go with an above average script. Right up there with The Usual Suspects and X-Men IMHO.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #230
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
It is an excellent film with some great performances to go with an above average script. Right up there with The Usual Suspects and X-Men IMHO.
Thought I'd posted my own thoughts on it in the thread four years ago, but seems I hadn't. Huh.

Someone in the thread back then suggested watching "Downfall" afterwards, which makes absolutely no sense. A better idea would be to watch "Downfall" first, and then the feature documentary on the Valkyrie disk, the combination of which will make Singer's movie look absolutely ridiculous.
The documentary goes into detail about why a group of officers would decide to risk everything to go after Hitler: The Russian front was advancing, the German army was being beaten back, Hitler's mood swings were retreating farther from reality and unable to form effective strategy, and nobody liked to say it, but things looked bad. Some of the high-ranking generals behind his back were hoping that if it was ever forced to a surrender, the more politically experienced officers might be able to soften their image and negotiate a survivable peace with Britain (it worked with Neville Chamberlain!), but with their "leader" making wild polarizing statements and occasionally raving in his depressions about burning down Berlin before the Russians could get to it, he was the last thing they needed right now.

The movie gives us no possible motivation for why Cruise would suddenly want to act so noble. None. Zip. ZERO.
He decides in literally the first scene of the movie that Nazism Is Bad, and decides to do something about it. He spends the next hour propositioning the most strategically sensitive and most riskiest placed officers to join him in his lil' mutiny plot they could be shot for, and when his partners ask why, he simply replies, "Don't worry, they will." Which, of course, they do. Also without explanation.
The only reason I can possibly come up with is that big ol' pink-elephant in the room: Bryan Singer. It's becoming a harder and harder effort NOT to see "gay subtexts" in anything he takes on, but the total lack of any possible historical context would push the story into the realm of "Historical wishful fantasy" a la Inglorious Basterds, if it hadn't been true. To Singer, it may have been more of a metaphor of "Someday, co-existence will take over and intolerance disappear, if Good People start talking and trying to convert normal people!" Ohh, yah. Think we know where that's coming from.

It's like I was saying some time after the Munsters remake and some time before Jack the Giant Slayer: What CAN'T Bryan Singer ruin?

Last edited by EricJ; 06-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #231

May 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Steve Lilley

That's a very... cynical outlook, you have there.

I think Cruise's motivations are accurately summed up by his final line in the film: "Long live sacred Germany."

Is that, coupled with caring for his wife and kids, not enough for you?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #232
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Better movie than I thought it would be.
It now has a permanent place in my Blu-ray collection.

Tom Cruise very good performance in this film, is topped only by his great performance in Collateral.
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #233
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

"gay subtexts"!?! Are you on ... never mind. First, it's clear from the opening of the movie that Col. von Stauffenberg had already voiced strong opinions against the war - remember, the general tells him that's probably why he was sent to North Africa in the first place? He wanted, passionately, to get his men out alive, that was his paramount motivation - and they were slaughtered! That could be a crystallizing moment for many men. Oh, just in case you missed it, and just in case he needed a more personal motivation, he also lost an eye, a hand and three fingers! Gee, that might sour a guy's attitude, you know? Later, as if his name wasn't a clue, we learn that he was an aristocrat - and if you know anything about German history, you know they tended to be opposed to Corporal Hitler. In one of the shorts, his grandson confirms the obvious, von Stauffenberg was not a party member. Did the "aristocracy" act soon enough, obviously not.

That gets me to my main point, which, embarrassingly, calls for a bit of personal background - for which I apologize. I have a degree with high honors (with an A average minor in history). I'm half-German and half-Italian (the two losers - pity we couldn't have worked in a bit of Japanese blood for the trifecta), and I lived in a rebuilding Germany for six years in the late '50's & early-60's. Because of what I know, and lived, I do not consider these men heroes - Germany was collapsing and, yes, they wanted to surrender to the Allies before the Soviets utterly destroyed them, but they took too damn long, period. This was the 15th attempt on Hitler's life, perhaps the first few were "realer" heroes, I don't know, however these men could've just sat back and waited for the war to end - which it did in less than a year. But, instead, they risked everything, some for honor - and I do understand the need of the German people for anti-Nazi heroes, on many levels.

All that being said, who gives a shit? It's not a graduate-level history lesson, it's a movie - a movie which is loosely "based on" history. It's a period piece, and as such, it's a pretty damn good movie. The plot really happened, the people really died and some of those involved are, to some extent, actually considered heroes - whatever "we" might think about it. It's arguably "closer to the truth" than most "based on" movies are - and, as you say, the BD provides a long, well-made "feature documentary" which educates viewers further and, for those who wish to dig deeper, raises serious questions about how just how heroic the heroes really were. But it's just a movie, EricJ, and that's how I'll judge it.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #234
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
"gay subtexts"!?! Are you on ... never mind. First, it's clear from the opening of the movie that Col. von Stauffenberg had already voiced strong opinions against the war - remember, the general tells him that's probably why he was sent to North Africa in the first place? He wanted, passionately, to get his men out alive, that was his paramount motivation - and they were slaughtered! That could be a crystallizing moment for many men. Oh, just in case you missed it, and just in case he needed a more personal motivation, he also lost an eye, a hand and three fingers! Gee, that might sour a guy's attitude, you know? Later, as if his name wasn't a clue, we learn that he was an aristocrat - and if you know anything about German history, you know they tended to be opposed to Corporal Hitler. In one of the shorts, his grandson confirms the obvious, von Stauffenberg was not a party member. Did the "aristocracy" act soon enough, obviously not.

That gets me to my main point, which, embarrassingly, calls for a bit of personal background - for which I apologize. I have a degree with high honors (with an A average minor in history). I'm half-German and half-Italian (the two losers - pity we couldn't have worked in a bit of Japanese blood for the trifecta), and I lived in a rebuilding Germany for six years in the late '50's & early-60's. Because of what I know, and lived, I do not consider these men heroes - Germany was collapsing and, yes, they wanted to surrender to the Allies before the Soviets utterly destroyed them, but they took too damn long, period. This was the 15th attempt on Hitler's life, perhaps the first few were "realer" heroes, I don't know, however these men could've just sat back and waited for the war to end - which it did in less than a year. But, instead, they risked everything, some for honor - and I do understand the need of the German people for anti-Nazi heroes, on many levels.

All that being said, who gives a shit? It's not a graduate-level history lesson, it's a movie - a movie which is loosely "based on" history. It's a period piece, and as such, it's a pretty damn good movie. The plot really happened, the people really died and some of those involved are, to some extent, actually considered heroes - whatever "we" might think about it. It's arguably "closer to the truth" than most "based on" movies are - and, as you say, the BD provides a long, well-made "feature documentary" which educates viewers further and, for those who wish to dig deeper, raises serious questions about how just how heroic the heroes really were. But it's just a movie, EricJ, and that's how I'll judge it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America