Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

wow, sounds like a disaster.
great job vci.

Noise reduction has been added here and quite liberally at that, making what should have been a grainy looking 16mm film into a smeared and waxy beast. Detail and texture both suffer for this, and the picture quality winds up looking artificial rather than film like.

Last edited by Arkadin; 11-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #42

Mar 2011
Western New York

I still don't agree with that assessment. Even in those lossy screencaps, you can make out something of a grainfield. I see no wax. I see softness. The kind of softness I have witnessed in crappy old photographs from my childhood.

We'll see what others say, I guess. I could be wrong. The image looks pretty bad, for sure. But "Low budget" bad, not "DNR Botch-job" bad IMO. It also suffers from some visible compression artifacts, so VCI doesn't get a gold star from me.

Last edited by beckmen; 11-05-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #43
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Bay Area, CA

Finally got my copy in the mail from BB last night (Awesome they put the blu-ray in a envelope loose with no protecition! way to go shipping dept, thank god it didnt get damaged.) It doesnt look bad for the source material. I havent watched the extras yet. I think it looks a step above the DVD to me and glad I got it. Just wish it had both cuts, didnt realize it until the other day. Guess better to have the longer cut than shorter one if you had to choose. Now we just need to get the rest of Carpenter's films covereted over to BD.
"Multitasking - screwing up several things at once!"
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #44
Power Member

Apr 2008

Oddly enough, I find little wrong with the actual transfer of the film. There is excellent detail considering the source and age of the materials, and the softness is indicative of a 16mm blow-up. But what VCI managed to totally botch was the encoding.

Which blows my mind, because they used VC-1. If there ever was a near idiot-proof, set-and-forget codec, VC-1 is it. But they botched it horribly anyway. I've never seen so much block noise on a VC-1 transfer in my life. It almost looks like someone went out of their way to disable VC-1's in-loop deblocking filter before encoding. Who does that!?! By using my player's block noise filter, I get a satisfying (if soft) presentation.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #45

Mar 2011
Western New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
Oddly enough, I find little wrong with the actual transfer of the film. There is excellent detail considering the source and age of the materials, and the softness is indicative of a 16mm blow-up.
Thank you. I knew I wasn't nuts.

Watched the movie last night, part of a triple-feature of Dark Star, Prince of Darkness and They Live. On a 100" screen from a WXGA projector, I didn't notice any encoding problems, although I did notice artifacting on my 52" 1080p TV when I first sampled the disc. Oh, well. I find (after having seen the movie once, nearly 10 years ago) I still enjoy the film. I find it pretty funny, although it has some slow parts. The alien scenes are hilarious, and the stuff with Bomb #20 is inspired. My friends were remarking how they were going to start calling people "false data" when they didn't want to hear their BS.

I also wish Dan O'Bannon had appeared in more roles. His quirky voice and demeanor should have been immortalized in film much more.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Has there been a comparison between this disc and the UK one?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #47

Jul 2009

So this only includes the extended theatrical version and not the shorter directors cut? I figured it was a given that it would have both.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #48

Apr 2009

I know they used a theatrical print, is the 16mm camera negative lost?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #49
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
wow, sounds like a disaster.
But it is not.

I don't know where or in what condition the original negative for this low-budget film is, but what I am seeing here most definitely isn't destroyed by DNR. Yes, there is noise reduction, but if what VCI states is true -- and I think that it is -- that they had to work with some theatrical print, the final result is indeed more than decent. I am not seeing any waxiness here.

I will pick up this disc shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Noise reduction has been added here and quite liberally at that, making what should have been a grainy looking 16mm film into a smeared and waxy beast. Detail and texture both suffer for this, and the picture quality winds up looking artificial rather than film like.
Hardly. I don't see this artificiality here. Low-budget look, traces of some digital work, some compression issues, yes.

But people need to pay attention what was the source used to produce the new transfer (which is something Jeff notes in his review).

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-11-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #50

Dec 2010

For the record, is this release region-free?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

my copy has the text at the top of the cover cut off and its printed at a weird angle. are they all like this or is mine a goof?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #52
Power Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdot View Post
my copy has the text at the top of the cover cut off and its printed at a weird angle. are they all like this or is mine a goof?
Mine is the same way. They used a very cheap printer. In addition to being askew, the sides on my cover label aren't even properly parallel when I take it out of the blu-ray case.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #53
Power Member

May 2011

Is this title OOP? I want to take advantage of the VCI sale. Everywhere else seems to be OOS. VCI still has it listed on their site though. I'll take a chance I guess.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #54

Aug 2013
UK

so which is best ? uk or usa release?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #55
Expert Member

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggyBear73 View Post
Is this title OOP? I want to take advantage of the VCI sale. Everywhere else seems to be OOS. VCI still has it listed on their site though. I'll take a chance I guess.
Well, I'm sorry I missed this sale since it sure isn't on sale now and it seems to be out of stock almost everywhere.

I'll just buy the UK one if worst comes to worst. My impression was they both had wretched picture quality thanks to the source material and thus it was kind of a wash as to which version you got.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

It must be OOP. How much was it at the VCI sale? I have one for sale but there are none on Amazon or eBay so I don't know how to price it.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:04 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

I wouldn't go paying a ton for this, because:

1) VCI titles commonly go out of stock at lots of locations, then reappear suddenly a little while later.

2) John Carpenter's name is attached to it, and its not big studio owned, this will likely be released again from someone else (possibly Shout!) again soon, if it is indeed out of print.

3) If it is out of print, I want it first before the rest of you drive the price up with mad buying!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #58
Expert Member

Oct 2012
WI, USA

It was still in stock at DVD planet last week for like 15 bucks, the UK one is about the same price.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America