Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$18.29

The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Purge: Election Year (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Unnamable (Blu-ray)
$24.96
14 hrs ago
Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #981
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
as i said at the bare minimum the review needs to be updated to mention the problem.

considering I've watched hundreds of blu-rays on my set up and have never experienced such an issue i'd say the problem is the disc.

the fact that my player is a ps3 slim running the latest update and still chocked on the bitstream audio is pretty inexcusable on Sony's part.

Years after the release and still no fix? wow.
And yet people can playback the disc fine on other setups, all the discs are mastered the same. Its an issue with Dolby TrueHD and how the device handles it. There are other factors here as well, like the way the disc is authored, again, different devices will differ. There are a few titles (Star Trek - Into Darkness within the Compendium pack) which also includes a TrueHD track, also suffers the same fate, depending on the device and where the decoding is happening.

But because this isn't an issue affecting all users, its unlikely that we will see any kind of replacement disc.

PS3's have problems with Dolby TrueHD tracks, it is a known issue that has yet to be resolved.

i.e. no support for TrueHD 7.1 tracks on 3D films, it will only playback the lossy DD embedded track.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #982
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

The strange thing is that they’re both Sony products, right? It would make more sense if the problem occurred with Microsoft gaming machines.
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #983
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
The strange thing is that they’re both Sony products, right? It would make more sense if the problem occurred with Microsoft gaming machines.
That's the irony Memphis.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #984

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
And yet people can playback the disc fine on other setups, all the discs are mastered the same. Its an issue with Dolby TrueHD and how the device handles it. There are other factors here as well, like the way the disc is authored, again, different devices will differ. There are a few titles (Star Trek - Into Darkness within the Compendium pack) which also includes a TrueHD track, also suffers the same fate, depending on the device and where the decoding is happening.

But because this isn't an issue affecting all users, its unlikely that we will see any kind of replacement disc.

PS3's have problems with Dolby TrueHD tracks, it is a known issue that has yet to be resolved.

i.e. no support for TrueHD 7.1 tracks on 3D films, it will only playback the lossy DD embedded track.
well I've never encountered such a problematic blu-ray. even the "fix" of switching to LPCM doesn't work for me. (the audio drops out and only returns if i forward or reverse). If there was just a couple of drop outs it might still be watchable, but doing that every few minutes is more infuriating then any joy I'll receive from watching the film.

Back to my original point. I hope Blu-Ray.com can at the very least CLEARLY warn it's readers of the issue in the review. IMO the AUDIO score should definitely be lowered to account for this. PS3 units surely make a very sizeable proportion of blu-ray players out there, and the fact that Sony can't even get their own player to properly play their own disc is pretty disgraceful.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #985
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
well I've never encountered such a problematic blu-ray. even the "fix" of switching to LPCM doesn't work for me. (the audio drops out and only returns if i forward or reverse). If there was just a couple of drop outs it might still be watchable, but doing that every few minutes is more infuriating then any joy I'll receive from watching the film.

Back to my original point. I hope Blu-Ray.com can at the very least CLEARLY warn it's readers of the issue in the review. IMO the AUDIO score should definitely be lowered to account for this. PS3 units surely make a very sizeable proportion of blu-ray players out there, and the fact that Sony can't even get their own player to properly play their own disc is pretty disgraceful.
I agree with you about how Sony should get it's act together, and perhaps a note in the review would be warranted; but I'm not sure about how "sizeable (a) proportion" PS3 units make up around here - or I'm sure the site would cater more to them. This is a Blu-ray site for Blu-ray aficionados and I'm pretty sure that most folks around here have at least one actual Blu-ray player. If you wanna enjoy the BD experience, get a BD player and let your PS3 rest up for gaming sessions (or check PS3 sites). After becoming a member here, I learned from posters and ran up my credit card debt to buy an Oppo. I have never had trouble with any disc problems (knock on my wooden head ) and I've never regretted spending the money. Oppo rocks!!!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #986

Jan 2011
-
-

cnet has recommended the PS3 for years as one of the best blu-ray players out there. Even for 2015 it still makes their list:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/blu-ray-p...u-ray-players/

I agree it's not an Oppo, but i imagine most users don't have an Oppo. I suppose there's no way to really know what the #'s are, but one of the major reasons blu-ray won the format war was because of the PS3, so I would imagine it still accounts for a fairly significant number of players being used.

I actually have 3 PS3's and one (old) samsung dual format (BD & HDDVD) player. I've considered an Oppo, but the price hike doesn't really make sense in terms of what I would gain from it.

If there's a cheap player that handles these problematic discs better i might consider picking one up. Open to recommendations.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #987
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
cnet has recommended the PS3 for years as one of the best blu-ray players out there. Even for 2015 it still makes their list:

I agree it's not an Oppo, but i imagine most users don't have an Oppo. I suppose there's no way to really know what the #'s are, but one of the major reasons blu-ray won the format war was because of the PS3, so I would imagine it still accounts for a fairly high number of players being used.
Yet they included a Samsung player as their number 2 choice. It's things like this that make me take cnet's opinion with a grain of salt.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection

Last edited by HD Goofnut; 02-10-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #988
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yet they included a Samsung player as their number 2 choice. It's thing like this that make me take cnet's opinion with a grain of salt.
You need to take Cnet with a whole OCEAN of salt. their views on quality is astounding sometimes
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #989
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
You need to take Cnet with a whole OCEAN of salt. their views on quality is astounding sometimes
Yeah, I figured that out during the format war in 2007.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #990
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
After becoming a member here, I learned from posters and ran up my credit card debt to buy an Oppo. I have never had trouble with any disc problems (knock on my wooden head ) and I've never regretted spending the money. Oppo rocks!!!
The Oppo 83 & 93 both have the MediaTek chipset that causes the TrueHD streaming issue.

There is no problem with TrueHD and the PS3 other than 3D.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #991
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
The Oppo 83 & 93 both have the MediaTek chipset that causes the TrueHD streaming issue.

my PS3 has the glitch. happens on all the 7.1 TrueHD mixes that have issues
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #992
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
CNET is owned by CBS. Remember the big flap when CNET nominated The Hopper and Sling as best in show at the CES a couple of years ago by the editorial staff and then had to yank their vote because CBS was suing DISH over the Hopper. Yeah, real impartial.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #993

Jan 2011
-
-

i didn't mean to imply cnet is THE resource for blu-ray player reviews (but i do think their lists are respectable in terms of value and bang for buck) The larger point being they do reach a wide audience and the fact that they've lauded the ps3 as a strong blu-ray player over a number of years would most likely indicate that it's one of the most popular players out there.

Last edited by Rui; 02-10-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #994
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:

I agree it's not an Oppo, but i imagine most users don't have an Oppo. I suppose there's no way to really know what the #'s are, but one of the major reasons blu-ray won the format war was because of the PS3, so I would imagine it still accounts for a fairly significant number of players being used.

I actually have 3 PS3's and one (old) samsung dual format (BD & HDDVD) player. I've considered an Oppo, but the price hike doesn't really make sense in terms of what I would gain from it.

If there's a cheap player that handles these problematic discs better i might consider picking one up. Open to recommendations.
I’ve never had a PS3, so I wouldn’t know and shouldn’t criticize. I did have a Samsung 5700 before I got the Oppo - gave it to my mother. I didn’t notice any slowdown when I switched, but, totally different model, so who can say … Anyway, good luck with your other BDs, Sony definitively should get its shit together. Meanwhile, I’m gonna go hug my Oppo (even if it is region retarded).

Quote:
I’ve got a 103, so maybe I got lucky on the timing (again, knock on my wooden head ).

Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #995
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
I’ve got a 103, so maybe I got lucky on the timing (again, knock on my wooden head ).

I have the 103D, both units use a different chipset so there's no issue.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #996
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
my PS3 has the glitch. happens on all the 7.1 TrueHD mixes that have issues
Bitstream or internally decoded?

I have the "fat" PS3 with internal decoding to PCM, no issue.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #997
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I have the 103D, both units use a different chipset so there's no issue.
I wanted to get the "D", but money was tight and I couldn't get any firm opinion as to if it was worth it. What do you think - noticeable?

The differences shown in this review are actually hard to believe:

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bd...reviewed/#Oppo BDP-103D Darbee Visual Presence Comparison

Last edited by Early Memphis; 02-10-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #998
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I never had problems with BDs on the PS3, but DVDs look like crap on it compared to my standalone player.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #999
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I never had problems with BDs on the PS3, but DVDs look like crap on it compared to my standalone player.
Yeah, I never watch my DVDs (even the ones only on DVD); in fact, I've been rather mindlessly upgrading them, figuring the BDs just gotta be better. Anyway, I just bought the Maverick, Season 1 set and I'm simply amazed at how good it looks - never seen these episodes look so purdy.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:48 AM   #1000
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I noticed that too. However, I recently realized that my panny standalone no longer really plays vudu. I mean it plays but the contrast is shot and blacks are light gray. Anyway, vudu looks beautiful via the PS3.

I only experienced a skip at the piano part on my panny which still plays blus fine. Don't mind this movie one bit.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, any Phish, the Last Castle, Clan of the Cavebear, Silver Bullet, Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer. Samsung pn51f8500 plasma active 3d, Vizio 42" LCD passive 3d, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America