Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Martian 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.93
They Live by Night (Blu-ray)
$17.58
Justice League Unlimited: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Re-Animator (Blu-ray)
$22.97
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$14.67
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Blu-ray)
$19.67
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.09
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$21.61
Streets of Fire (Blu-ray)
$15.06
Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$24.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 AM   #201
Special Member

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock, stone View Post
I'm just impressed he is apparently cool with Zardoz.
Maybe they let him keep his costumes:

"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (06-19-2014), Wireduck1 (06-19-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #202
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERYONE LIES View Post
With the amount of releases coming this thread needs to be moved to Sticky so I can quit looking for it.
Why don't you just subscribe to the thread (which theoretically should have happened already since you've posted a reply)? Use the "User CP" function to check for updates to your subscribed threads.

That's what I do. I've never had to go searching for a thread that I've already been following.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #203
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post

[Show spoiler]

Btw, Taras Bulba (1962) is also coming in September.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #204
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post

[Show spoiler]

That middle pic looks like he's getting married to Paul McCartney.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #205
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

The Current MGM library of films that are eligible for Kino, Twilight Time, Criterion, Shout to choose from come from these entities.

Through its purchases of many different companies and film and television libraries, MGM has greatly enhanced its film and TV holdings.

MGM's library includes the film libraries of:

United Artists (Marty, The Apartment, West Side Story, In the Heat of the Night, Midnight Cowboy, Rocky, Annie Hall, Rain Man, etc.)
Orion Pictures (Platoon, Dances with Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, etc.)
American International Pictures (House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Premature Burial, Tales of Terror, The Raven, The Haunted Palace, The Masque of the Red Death, The Tomb of Ligeia, etc.)
Filmways (Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, etc.)
The Cannon Group (Joe, Runaway Train, Street Smart, etc.)
The Samuel Goldwyn Company (Stranger Than Paradise, Sid and Nancy, Prick Up Your Ears, Henry V, etc.)
PolyGram Filmed Entertainment (pre-March 31, 1996; Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Usual Suspects, Dead Man Walking, Fargo, etc.)
21st Century Film Corporation (Captain America, Bloodmatch, etc.)
Hemdale Film Corporation (The Terminator, The Return of the Living Dead, Salvador, Hoosiers)
Empire International Pictures (Troll, The Caller,The Princess Academy, etc.)
Gladden Entertainment (Mannequin, The Fabulous Baker Boys, etc.)
Sherwood Productions (WarGames, Mr. Mom, Blame it on Rio, etc.)
Castle Rock Entertainment (pre-1994; When Harry Met Sally..., Misery, City Slickers, etc.)
Island Pictures (The Trip to Bountiful, She's Gotta Have It, etc.)
The 1986 films of Blue Velvet and Manhunter from the De Laurentiis Entertainment Group library
The Brother from Another Planet (1984) and The Coca-Cola Kid (1985) from Cinecom
A Doll's House (1973) and Home for the Holidays (1995) from Paramount Pictures
Most of the films released between 1989 and 1992 by Triumph Films (Brenda Starr, Triumph of the Spirit, Wild Orchid, Why Me?, etc.)
In 2012, UK company Park Circus assumed worldwide re-issue distribution rights to the library on behalf of MGM.
Thanks given by:
Se.Vero (08-16-2015)
Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #206
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
The Current MGM library of films that are eligible for Kino, Twilight Time, Criterion, Shout to choose from come from these entities.

Through its purchases of many different companies and film and television libraries, MGM has greatly enhanced its film and TV holdings.

[snippage]
The Samuel Goldwyn Company (Stranger Than Paradise, Sid and Nancy, Prick Up Your Ears, Henry V, etc.)
[snippage]
It should be noted that the Samuel Goldwyn films from the Golden Age don't apply here. While MGM had the rights to them on DVD, it appears that Warner has them now. Ones that Warner has already released on Blu-ray include Guys and Dolls, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Bishop's Wife, and Hans Christian Anderson.

But thanks for the list, Brad1963.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #207
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
It should be noted that the Samuel Goldwyn films from the Golden Age don't apply here. While MGM had the rights to them on DVD, it appears that Warner has them now. Ones that Warner has already released on Blu-ray include Guys and Dolls, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Bishop's Wife, and Hans Christian Anderson.

I copied from Wikipedia, it looks like they need an update. There are always so many questions about what MGM is these days. I thought this would help.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #208
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I wonder if MGM has any titles from the Embassy Pictures library? I've heard that Embassy titles are scattered around.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #209
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Prizzi's Honor would be nice, especially since there's never really been a good dvd.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #210
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
I wonder if MGM has any titles from the Embassy Pictures library? I've heard that Embassy titles are scattered around.
They definitely do. At the very least, they have The Lion in Winter, which they've apparently licensed to Twilight Time.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #211
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:

Quote:
I copied from Wikipedia, it looks like they need an update. There are always so many questions about what MGM is these days. I thought this would help.
Titles produced by Samuel Goldwyn Productions (Samuel Goldwyn Sr.'s company) during the Golden Age reverted to the Goldwyn family trust some years after they sold The Samuel Goldwyn Company (SGC, Samuel Goldwyn Jr.'s original company); they now belong to WB in the U.S. & Canada, Miramax elsewhere. Other SGC titles, including Tom Jones (1963, original production company Woodfall was acquired by SGC) and most movies originally released by SGC, remain with MGM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
Quote:
They definitely do. At the very least, they have The Lion in Winter, which they've apparently licensed to Twilight Time.
StudioCanal apparently has primary control of the Embassy library, but they've licensed several Embassy titles to other companies -- including The Graduate to MGM. Not sure about The Lion in Winter; it only shows up on the SAE website as soundtrack CDs (which have nothing to do with TT), but its BDs in Japan & Sweden were apparently licensed to local indie distributors by StudioCanal.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; LG BP550 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, PDVD 14 & 16)
A/V hardware: Sony XBR-65X900C (4K-3D); Vizio E3D320VX (3D); Roku 3 (2015); Galaxy Tab S2 8.0; Moto X Pure Edition
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.

Last edited by RBBrittain; 06-19-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 06-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #212

Mar 2012

Quote:

United Artists (Marty, The Apartment, West Side Story, In the Heat of the Night, Midnight Cowboy, Rocky, Annie Hall, Rain Man, etc.)
Orion Pictures (Platoon, Dances with Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, etc.)
American International Pictures (House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Premature Burial, Tales of Terror, The Raven, The Haunted Palace, The Masque of the Red Death, The Tomb of Ligeia, etc.)
Filmways (Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, etc.)
The Cannon Group (Joe, Runaway Train, Street Smart, etc.)
PolyGram Filmed Entertainment (pre-March 31, 1996; Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Usual Suspects, Dead Man Walking, Fargo, etc.)
21st Century Film Corporation (Captain America, Bloodmatch, etc.)
Hemdale Film Corporation (The Terminator, The Return of the Living Dead, Salvador, Hoosiers)
Empire International Pictures (Troll, The Caller,The Princess Academy, etc.)
Gladden Entertainment (Mannequin, The Fabulous Baker Boys, etc.)
Sherwood Productions (WarGames, Mr. Mom, Blame it on Rio, etc.)
Castle Rock Entertainment (pre-1994; When Harry Met Sally..., Misery, City Slickers, etc.)
Island Pictures (The Trip to Bountiful, She's Gotta Have It, etc.)
The 1986 films of Blue Velvet and Manhunter from the De Laurentiis Entertainment Group library
The Brother from Another Planet (1984) and The Coca-Cola Kid (1985) from Cinecom
A Doll's House (1973) and Home for the Holidays (1995) from Paramount Pictures
Most of the films released between 1989 and 1992 by Triumph Films (Brenda Starr, Triumph of the Spirit, Wild Orchid, Why Me?, etc.)
In 2012, UK company Park Circus assumed worldwide re-issue distribution rights to the library on behalf of MGM.
Other than UA, which they didn't buy the library, they bought the whole studio), all other libraries only feature a handful of interesting titles (if at all). It's no wonder a studio which makes these kind of decisions has been in and out of bankruptcy for the last 40 years!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #213

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Well, do you really expect Kino to single out the crappier studio films they license and create a sub-label called Kino Studio Crapics, and in turn tell MGM half their titles are lousy films? Nope, all will be classics now, even METEOR.
Well, they could choose not to license such lousy titles in the first place. I can understand studios issuing crap as long as it sells, boutiques issuing good studio titles that don't sell but anybody issuing bad titles that do not sell it's beyond me.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #214
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
all other libraries only feature a handful of interesting titles (if at all)
You must have a pretty limited scope of interest as a movie buff if you believe that.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #215
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2012

Thank goodness I understand the meaning of the word subjective. Otherwise, I would be insulting a lot of people for calling a film I enjoy "crap"
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #216
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Elmer Gantry in September, baby!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberS...if_t=notify_me
Old 06-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #217
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
More good news, but does anyone else wish Kino Lorber would announce these titles in one big chunk, maybe on a specific day a la Criterion? Announcing these releases in dribs and drabs like this makes it harder to keep up.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #218
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
More good news, but does anyone else wish Kino Lorber would announce these titles in one big chunk, maybe on a specific day a la Criterion? Announcing these releases in dribs and drabs like this makes it harder to keep up.
If does make it harder to keep up, but it is fun knowing a new title will be announced every few days.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #219
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

I really hope Kino isn't biting off more than they can chew. They've announced an ambitious amount of releases for the upcoming months, many being my fav. movies. I really hope they can deliver a quality product
Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #220
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I really hope Kino isn't biting off more than they can chew. They've announced an ambitious amount of releases for the upcoming months, many being my fav. movies. I really hope they can deliver a quality product
Yeah, especially as the first ones haven't been released yet. I mean, Kino does have a good reputation based on their past releases of silent movies, etc. but the way they're cranking these out I can see them simply being not much different than what Twilight Time does, take whatever's been given to them by MGM and slap it on a disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors