Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
It Follows (Blu-ray)
$14.84
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$48.39
The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.62
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Decline of Western Civilization Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.87
Porco Rosso (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Princess Mononoke (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 AM   #741
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
We need an update on the extended edition of this film. I would be thrilled to buy a two-disc Blu-ray release with the complete film across two discs. It would be a day-one double dip. Please release it, Warner Bros!

Anyone else interested in the extended edition of Cloud Atlas? It runs (supposedly) around four hours or so.
I'd like to see it, but I doubt we ever will, especially after Jupiter Ascending tanked. We only know about it from off the cuff remarks made by the Netflix CEO at a panel to promote their new Wachowski show.

Then again, Warners throws money at Oliver Stone every couple of years to recut his Alexander turkey, so who knows?
BD Wishlist: Litan / Arizona Dream / Until the End of the World (Director's Cut) / Playroom / Kamillions / Wendigo / The Devils / The Peanut Butter Solution / Ratboy / Pin / Celia / Alice, Sweet Alice / Slaughterhouse Rock / Blue Monkey / Return to Oz / The Day of the Locust / Big Man On Campus / Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge / Brain Damage / Warhol's BAD / La Passion Béatrice / The Applegates / Mother Goose Rock 'n Rhyme / Electric Dreams / Crimes of Passion / Dreamchild / Into the Night
Old 04-03-2015, 03:16 AM   #742
Suspended

May 2010
NYC

Bring on the 4 hour cut
Old 04-03-2015, 03:19 AM   #743
Expert Member

Jun 2013

Honestly, this cut works just fine for me. I wouldn't object to an extended cut but I probably wouldn't watch it.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #744
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Finally watched this one and, well... put me in the "loved it" camp. The first hour is definitely super rough and trying, but once it hits the halfway point it just becomes one brilliant scene after another. Really, really enjoyed it, and the subtle aspects of it make for a movie I will watch multiple times.

Freaking great score too, which is rare nowadays in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #745
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

I want a thread bump announcing the 4 hour cut. WB better release it eventually.
Thanks given by:
solaris72 (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #746
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Does it really need an extra hour? I don't recall a character in the film feeling shortchanged in the theatrical cut and there aren't any gaping plot holes.
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #747
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

The length is the film's biggest issue as it is. The first hour is a slog, and the 2012 story rarely feels needed. I can't see a longer cut improving it.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #748
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008

Does it really need a longer cut? I could've done without a couple of the stories that are already in it.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac |

2015 list
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #749
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

I am curious, but I am perfectly happy with the currently available cut.
I love this movie, and really have to give the BD a spin again soon!
I haven't watched it since I got my surround system.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.), Death Becomes Her R. Z.,Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Fierce Creatures (John Cleese, E. I., J.L.Curtis)Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 06-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #750

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
The first hour is definitely super rough and trying
I also really like the movie. When I'm watching it with someone who hasn't seen it before, I tell them to not stress out about understanding and keeping up with everything that's coming at them at a rapid pace at the beginning of the movie. Just sit back and watch, and it'll make sense later on.
My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-12-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #751
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
I also really like the movie. When I'm watching it with someone who hasn't seen it before, I tell them to not stress out about understanding and keeping up with everything that's coming at them at a rapid pace at the beginning of the movie. Just sit back and watch, and it'll make sense later on.
Yeah, good advice. I had an instinct that it would all come together eventually, and it did. Even without coherence issues though, that first hour is a bit too much setup and not enough payoff. Scorcese and other greats have learned that when your movie is three hours long it has to have solid pacing throughout. Cloud Atlas has a bad first hour in that regard, and that likely sunk it for a lot of people.
Thanks given by:
Edgar_in_Indy (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #752

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

Quote:
Yeah, good advice. I had an instinct that it would all come together eventually, and it did. Even without coherence issues though, that first hour is a bit too much setup and not enough payoff. Scorcese and other greats have learned that when your movie is three hours long it has to have solid pacing throughout. Cloud Atlas has a bad first hour in that regard, and that likely sunk it for a lot of people.
To me, it seemed like a movie that is almost great, but doesn't quite nail the target. I like it quite a bit, and it definitely has some stand-out moments, but I can't say it's one of my FAVORITE movies.

I think that your analysis does a good job of diagnosing why Cloud Atlas didn't rise above just being good.
My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT
Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #753
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
This appears to be why people are having an issue with Sense8, in that it takes a few episodes to set everything up and they find that boring. I had no problem with it in that regard, however.

Planning to give Cloud Atlas a second shot soon.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #754

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

I think it gets better with repeat viewings, at least it did for me. I picked up quite a few subtle things the second and third times I watched it. The nursing home escape scene and subsequent pub brawl is hilarious
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
The blues has got a hold of me.
I believe I'm gettin' dizzy.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:04 AM   #755
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I think it gets better with repeat viewings, at least it did for me. I picked up quite a few subtle things the second and third times I watched it. The nursing home escape scene and subsequent pub brawl is hilarious
I remember enjoying that storyline more than most of them.

Because of how dense Cloud Atlas is, I expect to enjoy it more the second time, which is exactly what happened with Jupiter Ascending. For me, at least.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
2012, blu-ray, cloud atlas, wachowski, warner bros