COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Xbox One Deals

Top Xbox One Deals, Cheap Xbox One Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Zoo Tycoon (Xbox One)
$32.69
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Xbox One)
$19.99
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox One)
$29.90
Battlefield 4 (Xbox One)
$29.75
Titanfall (Xbox One)
$39.99
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)
$24.72
Fighter Within (Xbox One)
$9.55
Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox One)
$39.99
UFC (Xbox One)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Xbox One)
$41.78
Kinect Sports Rivals (Xbox One)
$39.99
NBA Live 14 (Xbox One)
$19.91
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox One)
$34.71
Skylanders: Swap Force Starter Pack (Xbox One)
$29.99
Zumba Fitness: World Party (Xbox One)
$33.99
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (Xbox One)
$49.09
Watch Dogs (Xbox One)
$48.85
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)
$59.43
Thief (Xbox One)
$34.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 12-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI
Default Xbox One Kinect Failures

I read on IGN and a few other places people reporting the Kinect randomly just dying. Most of the problems seemed to happen out of box so I thought I was find from this. Having since Day One no problem, just Friday night I noticed that playing Dead Rising 3, instead of waving my hand/controller, it said to press B. I didn't connect the dots right away until I said "Xbox Snap" because I needed to invite more people to my party. The kinect white light was off. I went through all the troubleshooting processes of it and nothing.

Microsoft has two options, once you register your One: you can either print out a label and ship the kinect yourself or if you have a credit card with 200 bucks on it to hold (not charge) they will send you a new one and you mail back the broken one. I don't have the means to do either right now (i'm a cash man) so I'm pretty upset. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hate Kills Us All
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Lucedale, MS

So much for the conspiracy theories of MS spying on you or you would have had one shipped directly to you within 1 day priority mail, no questions asked, no returns needed.

Seriously that sucks & I hope it's not a massive scale problem.
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BMW 135i Coupe

2013 Game of the Year - The Last of Us

PS3 Slim 320GB, PS3 Slim 1TB, PS3 S Slim 500GB, PS Vita 64GB, PS4 1.5TB, Xbox 360 S 250GB, Xbox 360 S 250GB+320GB, Xbox One 4TB WD, Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD, Nintendo 3DS XL 32GB
Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

It's a good thing that they removed the requirement for Kinect to be hooked up and turned on for the system to even function. At least for anyone effected by this (however big or small this issue actually is), they can still play their games and navigate the system with the controller.

This is why making things mandatory for the system to even work (forced always-on Kinect, the once a day online check ins, etc.) are a bad idea. Yeah, I get that there are a lot of neat features with the Kinect, and I get that there are benefits to being online and that most people who get this system and/or PS4 are likely going to be connected to the internet almost all of the time when possible.

But stuff happens. Internet service goes down (I just had a problem with mine last week), things malfunction (i.e. Kinect in this case) and so on. It's one thing for those things to be options, but don't make them requirements for something like playing a single player game with the regular controller. There's no reason to add in more required variables than necessary.

I'm glad they reversed these policies, as we can see why they would have been problematic.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI

I never cared about the policies they announced originally. I always have internet access, don't buy used games, etc....but having this Kinect problem, I'm darn happy it's not required! Although, I did get spoiled using the voice commands to navigate, I'll have a new kinect hopefully within a few weeks.
Hate Kills Us All
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Me love Kinect I cant wait to pick up Kinect Sport Rivals.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Watch Dogs
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenofstone10 View Post
I never cared about the policies they announced originally. I always have internet access, don't buy used games, etc....
I don't mean to derail this thread from it's intended original point, and I don't mean any disrespect to you, but people taking this kind of attitude is what really scares the crap out of me with the future of this hobby.

You have internet access... fine. You don't buy used games, fine. And I don't know the full extent of your gaming habits, but for the sake of argument let's say that when you move onto a new generation you don't go back to play the older stuff much if at all... again, fine.

Heck, I have internet access and the vast majority of my games are purchased new (not always at full retail price, but still new).

My concern is about being able to access these games in the long run. I play current games, I play older games. I do buy used from time to time if there is a super good deal, or mainly to buy content for older systems that is no longer available new. In fact, a new store called "2nd and Charles" just opened near me within the last month or so. They sell new and used books, movies, video games, etc. I walked in there, and they have a ton of retro stuff. Someone had traded in a Sega Saturn game system and a ton of games for it, all of which were in pristine condition (for those not familiar with Saturn, the games came in these super huge cases made of the same type of material as CD jewel-cases, which means they crack very easily). These discs had almost no flaws on them, the cases were in great shape. I still have my Saturn and games for it, but I ended up buying 4 games that I don't already have and wanted to add to my collection.

Not only would Xbox One have made it impossible to buy long out-of-print used games and play them years down the road, but it would have potentially made it impossible to play the games that you already have in your collection years down the road. With that once-a-day check in, once MS moves onto it's next console or whatever and eventually decides that it's no longer profitable to support the Xbox One and cuts off network access to it, nobody would have been able to play the games that they already have and paid for once the check-in couldn't happen.

Now, assuming that your gaming habits are such that you don't go back and play the old stuff (in addition to having internet and not buying games used), sure, that wouldn't have had much of an effect on your directly. But it's still fundamentally taking away the rights for consumers to use what they buy as they wish within reason and resell if they so choose. It would drastically effect those whose gaming habits differ from yours. This should be concerning to ALL gamers regardless of their habits and preferences since it still removes their options and choices, regardless of what choices they actually happen to make.

I'm going to make an admittedly VERY over-the-top comparison to illustrate my point. Let's compare this to a time in the USA when people of a certain skin color were forced to drink from separate water fountains, sit at the back of a bus, were not allowed in certain restaurants, etc. Obviously white people were not directly impacted by these rules, but many found it to be wrong.

Now obviously civil rights are a MUCH more important issue than video game policies, but the point is that taking a stance of "this doesn't effect me and my personal gaming habits, so I just don't and shouldn't care" is wrong in the sense that the rights of many fellow gamers are being effected (or would have been if these policies stayed in place), and in this case your rights would have been taken away, even if they are rights that you didn't particularly exercise.

I am very glad that MS reversed these plans, but I still don't think they have truly learned their lesson from this, and frankly I still see hints of things in both the Xbox One (from what I've seen and heard of it, as I don't own one) and even the PS4 (which I do own) that concerns me about things heading in this direction. The fight for gamers' rights has only just begun. People need to stop pulling the wool over their eyes and wake up to what is going on here.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Well said, Dynamo... even if I completely disagree with you and see physical media ultimately dying out the way CDs have been. What Microsoft was proposing was a half-measure that would have moved toward digital while still allowing trade-ins and physical media as the delivery system. As it is now, that half-measure was reduced such that you would have to download 43gb of data to play CoD: Ghosts, during a time when more and more ISPs are placing limitations on bandwidth. We've found a workaround of sorts, wherein I buy a game on disc and my friends all use it to install the game and license it directly to their system, but the previous method they were offering of licensing and de-licensing a game on disc would have been more efficient in my case.

But I'm not diminishing your point. You want things to continue on the way they have, and there's nothing wrong with that. I want things to move forward from physical media and disc-swapping, and there's nothing wrong with that either. While you see it as a matter of "gamers' rights", I see it as a matter of progress and moving beyond the stale paradigm of physical media as a software delivery system. And while I'm sure there will still be people decrying it years from now, the move toward digital in PCs, phones, etc. ensures that we will ultimately see the death of games as a tradeable commodity unless a method is devised for that to happen in a digital space (as we're beginning to see).

But again, I understand your concerns. And even if we're on opposite sides of the issue, I applaud your passion.
Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR
Polk Audio RTi70 Mains, CSi40 Center, FXi50 sides, RTi28 rears and heights
Emotiva XPA-3 amp
SVS 20-39CS+ sub on Crown XLS-1500 amp
Epson 8500UB 1080p projector on 120" Elite Screens Sable
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
Darbee Darblet video processor
Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendSlim View Post
... while still allowing trade-ins and physical media as the delivery system. ...
No, not entirely, and with consumer freedom largely damaged.

Just in case you forgot, physical rentals were going to become a thing of the past, you could not let someone borrow your game (unless one of your 10 "family & Friends" -and that program still had to do a LOT of explaining on how it was supposed to work), you could not resell it outside of a pre-approved vendor (you could gift it -once- killing any trust you could put in someone as per buying it from an unknown source).
The faith that "one day" thanks to that all digital system (let us not forget the poor saps that do not have a reliable connection, or one at all "This is why we have a system called the Xbox 360") we could have an online market place with prices as low as what can be seen on Steam or GOG is wishing-on-a star level at best.

I think Jim Sterling put it best in his little rant from way back in June (pre MS 180).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ill-Used-Games

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)

Last edited by Elandyll; 12-17-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendSlim View Post
Well said, Dynamo... even if I completely disagree with you and see physical media ultimately dying out the way CDs have been. What Microsoft was proposing was a half-measure that would have moved toward digital while still allowing trade-ins and physical media as the delivery system. As it is now, that half-measure was reduced such that you would have to download 43gb of data to play CoD: Ghosts, during a time when more and more ISPs are placing limitations on bandwidth. We've found a workaround of sorts, wherein I buy a game on disc and my friends all use it to install the game and license it directly to their system, but the previous method they were offering of licensing and de-licensing a game on disc would have been more efficient in my case.

But I'm not diminishing your point. You want things to continue on the way they have, and there's nothing wrong with that. I want things to move forward from physical media and disc-swapping, and there's nothing wrong with that either. While you see it as a matter of "gamers' rights", I see it as a matter of progress and moving beyond the stale paradigm of physical media as a software delivery system. And while I'm sure there will still be people decrying it years from now, the move toward digital in PCs, phones, etc. ensures that we will ultimately see the death of games as a tradeable commodity unless a method is devised for that to happen in a digital space (as we're beginning to see).

But again, I understand your concerns. And even if we're on opposite sides of the issue, I applaud your passion.
I know we've disagreed in the past, but I do see where you are coming from.

It would be nice if there was some kind of way for someone like you with your preferences to install the game from a disc (but otherwise have it as a digital license as opposed to a game locked to the disc), while still allowing me to do things the way that I prefer.

The single biggest problem (not the only problem, but the biggest) with the original Xbox One plan was the online daily check-in. This basically guaranteed that even if your system is still in perfect working order several years down the road, everyone would lose access to their games in one fell swoop.

And the problem with the digital trading of games was that beyond the simple fact that it is limited (can only be traded once), it raises a lot of questions. For example, there was a remake of the Turtles in Time arcade game that came out on PSN and XBLA a few years ago. Ubisoft who released it later lost the license to the franchise and could no longer sell the game after that time (though people who previously purchased it can still redownload it now). If MS had stuck with their original plan, how would something like that happening with a game effect the ability to trade it to someone else? Would you only be able to trade it during the time that the publisher could sell the game, and when their license ends, the ability to trade it ends?

While I do see where things are gradually making the digital transition, I still don't see it as being something that people will 100% want. I mean, heck, of all types of entertainment media, music has made the largest shift to digital with it being the most appealing form of entertainment to purchase that way (if you only want 1 song, you can pay for the 1 song and not the entire album), and almost half of music sales are still from physical CDs.

I can't say for sure what the exact breakdown is of people who do and don't trade in their older games and systems (and I'm sure there are at least some who pick and choose what they keep and what they don't), but there seems to be this assumption on the part of publishers, the console makers, etc. that 99.99999% of people are trading in their games with the complete intention to never touch or play them again once they are done with them. And while a lot of people do that, I don't think it's ANYWHERE near that amount.

Plus look at the market for retro games. The secondary market prices of NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. games have gone up quite a bit in the past couple of years. People who previously traded in those games are now trying to reacquire them.

Enough people care about being able to play older games that I think this is an issue that matters quite a bit. I just think that there should be and needs to be some kind of balance between all of this.

Up to now, while some people like yourself may not care for having to swap discs out, there has been a symbiotic relationship between different types of gamers. Those who get rid of their older stuff allow others to buy, maintain, and add to their collections both during the console generation and long after. Now that relationship is in jeopardy in the name of so-called "progress" and whatever portion of gamers who actually would prefer this new direction that things are heading in.

I could even deal with the elimination of physical media if all or most of the benefits of it could somehow remain intact, while eliminating the more negative aspects like having to swap out discs. I admit that the idea of swapping games on the fly is appealing in-and-of itself. What isn't appealing to me is losing the benefits that come with physical media (i.e. buying out of print games, having a collection that I can move to and use in another compatible console if mine stops working after the generation ends, etc).

It's an unfortunate catch-22. Most music these days is DRM-free, but still sells well because on average it's $1 per song. Piracy still occurs, but given the low cost for the legit thing, many people pay it with no problem. With gaming, when a game comes out for $60, a DRM-free digital file would unfortunately be copied left and right with a huge impact on sales. But with DRM (the type that we have now with content downloaded from PSN and XBL on the PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbone) it make that long term access impossible if the console/hard drive dies after the console is no longer supported (short of hacking the system and finding unofficial downloads).

It just seems to me that there has to be a decent middle ground here. What I hope (but I'm not holding my breath on) is that when Sony and MS eventually come out with their next consoles they make them backwards compatible with the current machines. I know that they didn't even bother this time around since the technology is so different. But since the PS4 and Xbox One are basically just proprietary PCs, if their next systems are just even more powerful proprietary PCs, hopefully compatibility won't be an issue. From that point forward, the goal with all digital should be to maintain compatibility going forward. I won't hold my breath on it though.

The bottom line is that there should be some way to accommodate the preferences of people like you AND people like me. I don't think it's impossible, just difficult, and they have yet to find the right answer.

At any rate, my point is simply to not complicate things more than they need to be. Sure, you need internet to download things; you need internet for online multiplayer. That's to be expected. But don't make internet required for me to play a single player game (or local multiplayer)... Don't make Kinect being hooked up and on a requirement for me to use the system and play a game with the regular controller. The more unneeded variables that are added in for functions that have never needed said variables in the past just create more complication than anything.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 12-17-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Lucedale, MS

Thing is Dynamo points to the obvious.

If a company folds in the console hardware business their products & software are not rendered useless. No matter how you swing the MS moving forward digitally stance, you are banking on a system & software for it that will be forever available to you digitally.

If this moving forward stance took place in the 80's, you'd have the option to play games created in the 00's only today.

Then there is the hardware itself. True retro. Pinball machines I hear are very popular. Should these be replaced by digital software?
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BMW 135i Coupe

2013 Game of the Year - The Last of Us

PS3 Slim 320GB, PS3 Slim 1TB, PS3 S Slim 500GB, PS Vita 64GB, PS4 1.5TB, Xbox 360 S 250GB, Xbox 360 S 250GB+320GB, Xbox One 4TB WD, Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD, Nintendo 3DS XL 32GB
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #11

Aug 2013
Sugar Land, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
But since the PS4 and Xbox One are basically just proprietary PCs, if their next systems are just even more powerful proprietary PCs, hopefully compatibility won't be an issue. From that point forward, the goal with all digital should be to maintain compatibility going forward. I won't hold my breath on it though.
Hopefully that will be the case going forward.

That's the biggest downside of people upgrading to new consoles this gen. Many people acquired a large digital collection of games from the xbox live arcade that you can't play on the xbox one. Makes it feel like those digital games are a waste of money. I don't want this massive console collection. I simply don't have the room, so when I sell or give away my xbox 360, there goes my xbox live arcade collection with it and no one else can play those games since they are tied to my gamer tag. Fortunately for me, I didn't buy a lot and many of them I could easily get on the PC.
"We put liquid paper on a bee, and it died."
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
The single biggest problem (not the only problem, but the biggest) with the original Xbox One plan was the online daily check-in. This basically guaranteed that even if your system is still in perfect working order several years down the road, everyone would lose access to their games in one fell swoop.
I actually agree with that. And I don't see, from a programming standpoint, why it would have been so hard for them to just say "The system can't contact the server... so CHECK FOR THE DISC IN THE DRIVE." Problem solved. A combination of disc-based verification and licensing would have satisfied both camps, so long as they had a way for you to de-authorize discs from your system when you want to trade them in (which they claimed to have).

I'm hoping they figure that out going forward, in case there's still another generation of console after this one.
Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR
Emotiva XPA-3 amp
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

Case in point about the downside of the digital future:

http://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-vs-...igital-future/
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #14

Feb 2012
Katy, TX

I was already going to send my Xbox One out for replacement once my moving situation got worked out, because mine is excessively loud (like a bad fan or something), but my Kinect just died on Saturday randomly. It had been working since release (granted it was packed away for 2 weeks, but still) and then just up and quit while the system was paused.
"Home Theater" Set-Up
TV- Mitsubishi WD-82738 ~ 11.2 Speakers- Mirage OMD-28 (FL/FR), OMD-C2 (FC), OMD-15 (FLW/FWR), OMD-5 (HL/HR), OMD-15 (SL/SR), & OMD-R (RL/RR) ~ Subs- SVS PC13-Ultra, SVS PC12-NSD ~ Receiver- Onkyo TX-NR3010 ~ Amps- Emotiva XPA-2, Emotiva XPA-5 ~ BR Player- Panasonic DMP-BDT350 ~ 12v Trigger- Niles CS12V ~ Protection- APC-J15, Emotiva CMX-6 ~ Sat/Remote- DirectTV HR22-100 DVR / Harmony Touch ~ Gaming/Multimedia - PS4/Xbox ONE/PS3/Xbox 360/PC
Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
Expert Member

Mar 2009

I'm only 12' away and I have to really speak up for it to respond. ANNOYING! I went through the setup again, same results. Now I just mute it b4 a voice command. Gettin' old quick...
"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal gov't, are FEW and DEFINED."-Madison
TV: Mitsubishi WD-82838
DVR: Directv HR24-500
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP-S780
Gaming Consoles: Microsoft Xbox 360 & One
Remote Control: Logitech Harmony One
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #16

Sep 2010

I've found that at least for the time being Kinect is useless. I don't even have it plugged in anymore. I never owned one on the 360 though either though.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dragon View Post
I've found that at least for the time being Kinect is useless. I don't even have it plugged in anymore. I never owned one on the 360 though either though.
Not me. There's nothing like getting some ridiculous kill in Ghosts and saying "Xbox, record that". Or having a good match and saying "Xbox, Snap Game DVR. End Clip. 5 minutes. Unsnap." Very quick ways to capture things and still have time between matches to tweak my loadout. I'm actually surprised at how much I use the voice commands for stuff like that.

Gesture's pretty much useless though. Perhaps moreso than it was on the 360, honestly.
Onkyo TX-NR3010 AVR
Emotiva XPA-3 amp
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One