Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #1481
jscoggins jscoggins is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2014
115
Default

They should take out the scene with the transporter malfunction. If there were that many problems, no one in their right minds would send anyone into the transporter. What a dumb scene.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #1482
cherbert cherbert is offline
Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
They should take out the scene with the transporter malfunction. If there were that many problems, no one in their right minds would send anyone into the transporter. What a dumb scene.
What do you mean that many problems? Thats like saying lets ban cars because people all over the world die in them everyday.

It was a freak accident. Its not dumb at all.

Last edited by cherbert; 07-28-2015 at 11:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #1483
jscoggins jscoggins is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2014
115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbert View Post
What do you mean that many problems? Thats like saying lets ban cars because people all over the world die in them everyday.

It was a freak accident. Its not dumb at all.
1) The ship was in the middle of a retrofit.

2) That scene goes against all prior canon. The two people were being beamed by another transporter but someone needed the Enterprise to finish the transportation?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #1484
cherbert cherbert is offline
Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
1) The ship was in the middle of a retrofit.

2) That scene goes against all prior canon. The two people were being beamed by another transporter but someone needed the Enterprise to finish the transportation?
The transportation was failing and so the Enterprise was trying to help. What specific piece of canon are you referring to exactly that states this breaks canon? Surely Star Trek creates its own canon? Since only the three original series proceeded The Motion Picture there isn't a great deal of established canon at this stage for it to go against.

Last edited by cherbert; 07-29-2015 at 12:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #1485
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, I watched VI again a few nights ago and it really deserves better. It looks more like video than film.
I have a hard time watching these discs other than I and II - and I is still no prize. I just hate that video look of the rest of them. The combination of contrast boosting, EE, and DNR gives such a nasty look.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:23 AM   #1486
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
587
213
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I have a hard time watching these discs other than I and II - and I is still no prize. I just hate that video look of the rest of them. The combination of contrast boosting, EE, and DNR gives such a nasty look.
Yep. Hopefully they remaster them all for the upcoming 50th anniversary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 AM   #1487
jscoggins jscoggins is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2014
115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yep. Hopefully they remaster them all for the upcoming 50th anniversary.
The one thing I want to see in 1080p:

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
startrekkin58 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 AM   #1488
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Yep. Hopefully they remaster them all for the upcoming 50th anniversary.
That would be a great way to celebrate the 50th ann.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:38 AM   #1489
startrekkin58 startrekkin58 is online now
Member
 
startrekkin58's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
383
1
Default

I think TMP is far superior as a DC. The new visuals were awesome and a lot of the annoying, ridiculous bridge sounds are gone. That, and as Jerry Goldsmith said in his interview, they finally got a chance to do a proper final score on the film.

The DC of Khan is nice because it explains why Scotty was so upset over that one trainee dying. Other than that, I can't remember what was different. And I agree the BONG was awful in Country, but I did like the alternate cuts and the further racism found in Starfleet with Col. West's assassination plot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 AM   #1490
jscoggins jscoggins is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2014
115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekkin58 View Post
I think TMP is far superior as a DC. The new visuals were awesome and a lot of the annoying, ridiculous bridge sounds are gone. That, and as Jerry Goldsmith said in his interview, they finally got a chance to do a proper final score on the film.

The DC of Khan is nice because it explains why Scotty was so upset over that one trainee dying. Other than that, I can't remember what was different. And I agree the BONG was awful in Country, but I did like the alternate cuts and the further racism found in Starfleet with Col. West's assassination plot.
Yeah, a lot of the points that you just raised were explained with the text commentaries on the DVDs. I can't believe those weren't kept on the BDs.

Great post!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Star Trek, Original Series TV Shows Beta Man 17 08-13-2012 07:36 PM
Star Trek: the original series on blu TV Shows Teabaggins 52 11-07-2010 06:45 AM
STAR TREK (original movies) Blu-ray Movies - North America krazeyeyez 50 07-28-2010 03:00 PM
Star Trek Season 1 The Original Series Blu-ray Movies - North America Aholland06 3 03-09-2010 03:28 AM
Original Star Trek...Did You Know.... TV Shows Raymond Earl 6 04-29-2009 06:58 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 PM.