Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-17-2015, 03:21 AM   #201

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Anyone else prefer the Universal 'B' entries to the Fox 'A' pictures?
Definitely. Always have.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #202
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Anyone else prefer the Universal 'B' entries to the Fox 'A' pictures?
I wouldn't say I prefer the Universal films (The Hound of the Baskervilles has always been one of my favorites) but I don't consider them in way lesser than the Fox films.

There are some clunkers but that's to be expected with any series.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #203
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

^Second the above. Not better, but not worse. Don't care so much for the Nazi propaganda films.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:30 AM   #204

Nov 2009

I just ordered this about a week ago and have almost finished watching all 14. Great collection! Some of my favorites so far have been of course Hound, Terror By Night ( love that the setting is a train) and The House of Fear. I wish there were dozens more to watch! I'm looking forward to re watching them.

I have never seen any of the Jeremy Brett series, but now I am definitely considering it. For those who have seen it the Brett episodes, are any of the Basil Rathbone movies re-made for the Brett series? I know there is of course a Hound one ( going to check it out on Amazon for my first Brett one).

Also, how do the Brett series compare in your opinion overall to Rathbone?
Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #205
Special Member

Feb 2015
Tornado Alley
Send a message via AIM to LuckyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennstl View Post
I just ordered this about a week ago and have almost finished watching all 14. Great collection! Some of my favorites so far have been of course Hound, Terror By Night ( love that the setting is a train) and The House of Fear. I wish there were dozens more to watch! I'm looking forward to re watching them.

I have never seen any of the Jeremy Brett series, but now I am definitely considering it. For those who have seen it the Brett episodes, are any of the Basil Rathbone movies re-made for the Brett series? I know there is of course a Hound one ( going to check it out on Amazon for my first Brett one).

Also, how do the Brett series compare in your opinion overall to Rathbone?
The Brett series uses some of the same source material as the Rathbone films, but there isn't much overlap. Hound is the only Rathbone film that was a truly faithful adaptation, while the majority of the Brett episodes were faithful. They didn't start veering from the stories until the last few years.

The Brett series has a reputation for being the best Holmes adaptation ever, and Brett the definitive Holmes. I like the series enough that I spent over $100 to get it on Blu-ray, but I think it's a bit overhyped. Brett is no more definitive a Holmes than Rathbone, and the quality of the episodes wasn't at all consistent. A perfect episode would be followed by a dud, mostly in the later years but even sometimes early on. Brett's health went down the toilet starting around the halfway point, and he started giving terrible performances.

I would still recommend the Brett series overall, but I think the Rathbone series was more consistently good. If you want to check out the Brett series, I'd recommend starting with the first set, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, rather than buying everything at once, and proceeding from there, knowing that the quality will be dipping with further volumes.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #206

Nov 2009

Luckydragon, thank you very much for your thoughts on the Brett series. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Like your idea about trying out Brett series by individual releases rather than go all in on the complete set right away. Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America