Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.88
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Scorpion: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie *After You've Seen It!*
One Star 5 0.97%
Two Stars 20 3.90%
Three Stars 67 13.06%
Four Stars 163 31.77%
Five Stars 258 50.29%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #2981
MachineGod MachineGod is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2015
Massachusetts
Default

Interesting. For me both those films are indeed very very good, but just fall a little sort of his greatest. I think my big 4 for Nolan is (in no order except release order) Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and now Interstellar. All of these his brother had something to do with

What are your thoughts on The Prestige?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #2982
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
953
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGod View Post
Interesting. For me both those films are indeed very very good, but just fall a little sort of his greatest. I think my big 4 for Nolan is (in no order except release order) Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and now Interstellar. All of these his brother had something to do with

What are your thoughts on The Prestige?
I'm on the fence with that one. As with Interstellar, the ultimate outcome of the story is telegraphed almost right from the start, but it takes that weird lurch into scifi territory which it gives it something a little bit different. I saw it a few years ago and didn't think too much of it, but I caught part of it on TV a few months back and was engrossed precisely because I'd missed Michael Caine explaining the plot of the movie. Perhaps I should do that with Interstellar, start watching it from the spaceship lift off and see how it plays then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #2983
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
7
Default

Thinking about and arguing over the science of Interstellar has reminded me of a question I once had about Contact.

At the end, Jodie Foster travels through the wormhole and comes back after 18 hours, which ends up being only a fraction of a second in earth time. Shouldn't that actually the complete opposite?

Should Jodie Foster have been gone for 18 hours in wormhole time and come back after 18 YEARS or so in earth time?

I remember her having a conversation about relatively with Matthew Mcconaughey, but I don't remember them ever providing an explanation for the way they flipped the theory on its head.

...anyone?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #2984
lolwut lolwut is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
lolwut's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Virginia, US
881
190
145
Default

Finally got around to watching this. I was avoiding it because I hated the dialogue in the trailers. I have to say I enjoyed it more than I expected. The cinematography, score, and ideas were thrilling. Hans Zimmer's score reminded me a lot of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer though. The ideas got me thinking about infinite possibilities and got me excited about space travel. The dialogue and script were my biggest complaints. As others have mentioned the dialogue explains way too much and is exposition-heavy (
[Show spoiler]the ending with Murphy talking out loud to herself what should be obvious to everyone
, the explaining of concepts with crude drawings to people who are presumably experts, etc.). The dialogue was portentous and stilted as well. The ending was
[Show spoiler]telegraphed straight away - I was hoping it wouldn't end the way it did because it was obvious who the ghost was.
I feel like these are problems that Nolan's films either didn't have or were more restrained before Inception and The Dark Knight Rises. Maybe it's because he knows his films are being viewed by way more people now. I still think Memento and The Prestige are his best films by far.

7/10

Last edited by lolwut; 04-07-2015 at 02:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #2985
GenPion GenPion is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
GenPion's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
480
3
106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yes, Nolan's overarching themes of love and family and broken relationships cut deeper than words, but even then the film holds no surprises because Nolan has wheeled them out several times before (and other story-specific subtexts are often painfully obvious). It was cute when Spielberg did it, but not only is Nolan obsessed with such themes JJ Abrams is too, and I wish to God those guys would get a new playbook.
A lot of great filmmakers re-use some of the same themes throughout their films. It doesn't mean there aren't more ways to explore them.

The auteur theory even suggests that most great filmmakers will explore many of the same themes throughout their filmography: there is a sort of unison to the work which makes the mark of a great filmmaker unmistakeable (even when different stories are being explored, similar thematic ideas and approaches are used). Why should filmmakers abandon these ideas if it is what drives their filmmaking in the first place?

You could call it the philosophy of the filmmaker... as certain elements that are important to the writer/director wind up in the filmmaking. In this case, Interstellar explores the importance of family and the concept that love is something that can bypass time and be the strongest force in the universe.

You can see similar thematic explorations in other Nolan films but it doesn't mean Interstellar is merely repeating other efforts by Nolan, either. It has something new to add to the conversation at the same time. The story of Interstellar is quite unique to other Nolan efforts. Story and theme are not necessarily the same thing (even though they go hand in hand).

Last edited by GenPion; 04-07-2015 at 04:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #2986
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
953
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
A lot of great filmmakers re-use some of the same themes throughout their films. It doesn't mean there aren't more ways to explore them.

The auteur theory even suggests that most great filmmakers will explore many of the same themes throughout their filmography: there is a sort of unison to the work which makes the mark of a great filmmaker unmistakeable (even when different stories are being explored, similar thematic ideas and approaches are used). Why should filmmakers abandon these ideas if it is what drives their filmmaking in the first place?

You could call it the philosophy of the filmmaker... as certain elements that are important to the writer/director wind up in the filmmaking. In this case, Interstellar explores the importance of family and the concept that love is something that can bypass time and be the strongest force in the universe.

You can see similar thematic explorations in other Nolan films but it doesn't mean Interstellar is merely repeating other efforts by Nolan, either. It has something new to add to the conversation at the same time. The story of Interstellar is quite unique to other Nolan efforts. Story and theme are not necessarily the same thing (even though they go hand in hand).
Sure, theme isn't story, but when the story itself is relayed in what I think are such heavy handed and unequivocal terms, it removed any mystery or majesty from the cinematic vehicle that's carrying Nolan's tropes this time around. Nolan can stick to such themes for the rest of his career if it keeps up his "auteur" status, fine, but I hope his next film will be freed from the mire of wholly unimaginative exposition and join-the-dots storytelling which dogged Interstellar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:19 AM   #2987
Pounder Pounder is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pounder's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
61
19
Default

Still incredible after watching it on Bluray. Sir Nolan in top form.
Jai Courtney must be stopped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #2988
manunited1 manunited1 is offline
Special Member
 
manunited1's Avatar
 
May 2010
denver, co
679
180
1
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Thinking about and arguing over the science of Interstellar has reminded me of a question I once had about Contact.

At the end, Jodie Foster travels through the wormhole and comes back after 18 hours, which ends up being only a fraction of a second in earth time. Shouldn't that actually the complete opposite?

Should Jodie Foster have been gone for 18 hours in wormhole time and come back after 18 YEARS or so in earth time?

I remember her having a conversation about relatively with Matthew Mcconaughey, but I don't remember them ever providing an explanation for the way they flipped the theory on its head.

...anyone?
Not necessarily. The time relativity applied in Interstellar due to the intense gravitational pull of Gargantua. In contact we don't really have any clues as to how or where she goes. It could be a parallel universe with different or no time as we know it. If gargantua was not present time would have been pretty close on cooper's return home.
May the force be with you...

My Current top 10 films: 1: City of God/ 2: 2001 a Space Odyssey/ 3: Pulp Fiction/ 4: Persona/ 5: Seven Samurai/ 6: Apocalypse Now/ 7: Taxi Driver/ 8: the Master/ 9: Breaking the Waves/ 10: Tree of Life
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #2989
Spike M. Spike M. is offline
Active Member
 
Spike M.'s Avatar
 
Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yep. For a movie that's already so 'up front' about where the story's going
[Show spoiler]- the video interviews, "I'm your ghost, Murph" -
the relentless exposition compounds the feeling of being spoon-fed, and the explanation of who "they" were was too much. Hell, maybe Nolan (junior or senior) put that in there so that people wouldn't think "oh, that's a straight lift from 2001:ASO" re: this mysterious omnipotent force that's guiding humanity, but all it serves to do is suck the last bit of mystery from the film.
But... us knowing that 'we' were the beings is a necessary piece of information for a central thematic point in the film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #2990
Ernest Rister Ernest Rister is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ernest Rister's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
So I've finally seen this now. Thought it was pretty good on the whole, but it also had some problems. Maybe it's because I was prepared, but the exposition didn't bother me as much as I thought it might. Except for the ending, which was over-explained and removed any and all mystery from the film. I also thought it was a bit longer than it had to be, it could've easily been trimmed a bit.

My biggest problem with it though was actually the score. The music isn't bad in and of itself, but it plays constantly, and it's very loud and overpowering. For what feels like the better part of the runtime, the score is in "epic" mode; it wants to inspire a sense of wonder and awe in the viewer and it keeps doing this even during quiet (well, music aside) character moments. It's a bit like if a Star Wars or Jurassic Park movie kept playing the main theme throughout, no matter what was happening on screen. It was very obnoxious, after a certain point it made my head hurt and it detracted from my enjoyment of the film.
The score is my favorite aspect of the movie. Zimmer at the top of his game.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bootsy (04-09-2015), Geoff D (04-08-2015), itsaboutHD (04-08-2015), Spike M. (04-08-2015), Todd Tomorrow (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #2991
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
London, UK
1
Default

I don't understand people who complain that the score is loud and overpowering. I found it rather low key for the most part, which is what I liked so much about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #2992
L-Rouge L-Rouge is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
L-Rouge's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
New Zealand
168
Default

I can single out the moment
[Show spoiler]when Cooper leaves his family for the mission, as he drives off in his pick-up, the sound was seriously over bearing right there.


on the otherhand, i see the entire movie as an adventure in film making, Chris Nolan spoke of his drive to have the sound the way it was, I'll always back artistic licence..
# L L A P
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #2993
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
953
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
I can single out the moment
[Show spoiler]when Cooper leaves his family for the mission, as he drives off in his pick-up, the sound was seriously over bearing right there.


on the otherhand, i see the entire movie as an adventure in film making, Chris Nolan spoke of his drive to have the sound the way it was, I'll always back artistic licence..
It's all supposed to be real loud at that point, what with the segue straight into the launch of the spacecraft which, as I understand it, is an event that's usually pretty darned loud anyway. I love how the blaring music gives way to the roar of the engines as it takes off, and I can still hear mission control giving the countdown perfectly well in the midst of it.

I've got a fair few problems with Interstellar the film, but not Interstellar the sound mix.

Last edited by Geoff D; 04-09-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Segue, not seque. I have no idea what a 'seque' is.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
L-Rouge (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #2994
iMilazzo iMilazzo is offline
New Member
 
iMilazzo's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
112
2
Question When can we expect some Gift Set from Interestellar?

When can we expect some Gift Set from Interestellar?
And what should be in this Gift Set? A miniature of the spaceship, of the robots, etc...

Thank you
Ivan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #2995
MachineGod MachineGod is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2015
Massachusetts
Default

I really never had a problem hearing dialogue both IMAX showings I went to. I mean like maybe 2 or 3 lines in the whole film, but that's fairly average for movie. There's always a few lines I have trouble hearing. I guess I can't criticize anybody who did have problems though.

Wasn't it mostly with IMAX digital screenings people had trouble hearing, or am I just imagining that? For some reason I was under that impression
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #2996
Ulisez Ulisez is offline
Member
 
Ulisez's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
California, USA
1
159
22
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGod View Post
I really never had a problem hearing dialogue both IMAX showings I went to. I mean like maybe 2 or 3 lines in the whole film, but that's fairly average for movie. There's always a few lines I have trouble hearing. I guess I can't criticize anybody who did have problems though.

Wasn't it mostly with IMAX digital screenings people had trouble hearing, or am I just imagining that? For some reason I was under that impression
I saw Interstellar in both IMAX flavours and didn't find any sound issues in its digital screenings. With 70mm IMAX I did notice some of the issues, though put it to the side since I loved how the entire room rocked with that sound mix.


Samsung Series 550 46' TV
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD and VSX-47TX
Panamax M4300-PM
Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 Front Speakers, ProCinema 1000 Center Speaker, ProCinema 800 Surround Speakers
Klipsch XW-300D Subwoofe
r
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #2997
jc480 jc480 is offline
Power Member
 
jc480's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Detroit, MI
28
600
389
12
Default

I want to order my own private black hole for the backyard. Maybe the neighbor will fall in it!

I want to be able to turn it on every Friday so each weekend lasts around 22 years.
JC480's Home Theatre Gallery
Receiver: Denon AVR-2309ci | Speakers: Polk RC80i | RC85i | LCi-C | Elemental Designs A2-300
BD Player & TV: Sony PS3 | Pioneer KRP-600M
PowerProtection: Leviton 8480-00W|7280-00W | Cutler Hammer CHSA

My UV Movie Collection
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
interstellar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 PM.