Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.49
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Society (Blu-ray)
$25.29
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$35.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Cat Returns (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Killers (Blu-ray)
$35.96
Chinatown (Blu-ray)
$6.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #521

Sep 2010

As a huge genre fan, I've all but ignored Mondo Macabro for no reason at all. Judging by their posts here and the interview, they seem like great people who appreciate the business and love what they are doing. I just picked up The Fan limited edition, The Blood Rose, Born of Fire, and a t-shirt - then headed over to Deep Discount and picked up The Slave and Devil's Business on blu-ray along with Lady Terminator and Mystics of Bali on DVD. Look forward to checking them all out, I'd buy more DVDs but I'm afraid you'll announce an upgrade soon.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #522

Feb 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
As a huge genre fan, I've all but ignored Mondo Macabro for no reason at all. Judging by their posts here and the interview, they seem like great people who appreciate the business and love what they are doing. I just picked up The Fan limited edition, The Blood Rose, Born of Fire, and a t-shirt - then headed over to Deep Discount and picked up The Slave and Devil's Business on blu-ray along with Lady Terminator and Mystics of Bali on DVD. Look forward to checking them all out, I'd buy more DVDs but I'm afraid you'll announce an upgrade soon.
...and their film catalogue is no exception either.

If you enjoy the titles you've picked up I'd suggest following up with Silip, Alucarda (OOP unfortunately), and Mansion of Madness. They are truly bizarre small masterpieces.
Panasonic TC-P50S30 Onkyo TX-SR706 Oppo BDP-83, 980H
Definitive Technology Mythos 6 (x2), Mythos 7, Pro Sub 800
Mirage Nanosat (x4)
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #523
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

If you are picking up DVDs, these are terrific releases. Obviously, Franco's films are a bit of an acquired taste. However, Jacques Poitrenaud's Sweet Skin a.k.a. Strip-Tease is an excellent period piece (sort of an odd Nouvelle Vague experiment). The soundtrack is by Serge Gainsbourg (Je Taime Moi Non Plus).

Also, Mondo have the last big film from Alain Robbe-Grillet (see Criterion's Last Year at Marienbad) not yet out on Blu-ray, Gradiva.

And French Sex Murders is a really odd, in a good way, film with a ton of big stars in it: Anita Ekberg (La Dolce Vita), Howard Vernon (Le Silence de la Mer) Rosalba Neri (Top Sensation), etc.

Pro-B
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #524
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by themp3000 View Post
Picked up my copy from DeepDiscount yesterday for a little under $17 after taxes. I've been waiting for a good price on it. It's been on my list ever since learning that it was a key inspiration for Peter Strickland's The Duke of Burgundy, a film that I love. I'm very excited to finally experience it.
This is great. I just want to say that it is not the ultra-erotic film it is touted to be, though I understand the need to be marketed as such . It is actually a very smart piece of satire, a little further down the road from Fellini's La Notte. Campanile's earlier film, The Libertine -- Jared, how about you bring a definitive release of it on Blu-ray -- with Catherine Spaak and Jean-Louis Trintignant, is a lot more erotic.

If you liked The Duke of Burgundy (we are actually going to have a review for the AE release soon), you should see A Love Story a.k.a. Tied, with beautiful Laetitia Casta, though you should keep in mind that this is a much, much darker film. Not out on Blu-ray in the U.S., but IFC's DVD is actually very good.

Also, a lot of critics did not like My Mistress -- not surprising, really -- but I thought it was wonderful. I will be posting a review of the German Blu-ray release shortly since the U.S. is getting only a DVD release. Really outstanding performance by Emmanuelle Béart. Great atmosphere.

Have a great weekend, everyone

Pro-B
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #525
Mondo Macabro Insider

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
That's great to hear Anthony! Better late than never!

I wish we could be more forthcoming about what we will or won't be upgrading to blu ray, but in some cases we have to play our cards close to our chests, because there's always the chance that something will fall through.

I can tell you from conversations with Pete that this has happened to MM many, many times.

That said, I am hoping we get to announce another BD upgrade soon. It's something that might even get released before some of the titles we've already announced!

But that's the nature of the business. Very cruel, very fickle.

Thanks for your order, BTW! But let me give you this heads up, I am moving this weekend so your package may not ship till Monday.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #526
Mondo Macabro Insider

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
If you enjoy the titles you've picked up I'd suggest following up with Silip, Alucarda (OOP unfortunately), and Mansion of Madness. They are truly bizarre small masterpieces.
The Alucarda DVD is not OOP! But MANSIONS OF MADNESS is.
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #527

Oct 2012

Every Mondo Macabro release is worth checking out.

(although I personally didn't care for Devil's Business , the only one that I didn't find interesting in the least)
Old Today, 02:23 AM   #528

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
That's great to hear Anthony! Better late than never!

I wish we could be more forthcoming about what we will or won't be upgrading to blu ray, but in some cases we have to play our cards close to our chests, because there's always the chance that something will fall through.

I can tell you from conversations with Pete that this has happened to MM many, many times.

That said, I am hoping we get to announce another BD upgrade soon. It's something that might even get released before some of the titles we've already announced!

But that's the nature of the business. Very cruel, very fickle.

Thanks for your order, BTW! But let me give you this heads up, I am moving this weekend so your package may not ship till Monday.
Yeah, didn't you guys get screwed on the Robbet-Grillet films? The company licensing them seemed like real turds.
Old Today, 10:27 AM   #529
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared A. View Post
The Alucarda DVD is not OOP! But MANSIONS OF MADNESS is.
Possible DVD-R for Mansion of Madness ? Would love to add this to my collection ....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors