Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Road to Bali $13.02 (4 hours left)
Soon: Gator ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 12 1.10%
Two Stars 25 2.30%
Three Stars 96 8.83%
Four Stars 353 32.47%
Five Stars 601 55.29%
Voters: 1087. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #7361
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla135 View Post
Mildly yes and no. The Dark Knight Rises is done somewhat around modern time, so many of those issues that I would agree on with the differences in class are long gone. Unless this film is going to go into things such as slave labor, child labor, monopolized and regulated economics, etc., things that were major possibilities during Dickens's day, it's probably going to be done from a very modern day perspective. And trying my best not get political, the modern day view leans to far to the left for my taste.
I see what you are saying. If the themes present in Rises are anything like Dark Knight they will mostly be a subdued undertow to the plot of the film. In reality even though a big part of Dark Knight was terrorism how many people left the theater thinking "What an awesome movie about terrorism!"? I imagine the same reaction to Rises.
Waiting for the all female blu-ray.com reboot.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #7362
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Explain? He's not a member of another species or a metahuman (even though that's not the "definition" of a superhero), but I can't recall him not being painted in a the light of a hero.
Well to a lot of people, including me, being a superhero means having abilities beyond the physical limits of a human being. Batman is a very strong human with some nice gadgets and a massive fortune but he is not a superhero. He's definitely a hero though and probably my favourite "non-powered" one of all-time.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #7363

Jan 2012
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
I see what you are saying. If the themes present in Rises are anything like Dark Knight they will mostly be a subdued undertow to the plot of the film. In reality even though a big part of Dark Knight was terrorism how many people left the theater thinking "What an awesome movie about terrorism!"? I imagine the same reaction to Rises.
That actually lighted it up a bit for me as well since I never viewed The Dark Knight as a movie pertaining to terrorism (possibly the effects of terrorism though, such as the people's perception of Batman after things start getting more violent), so the possibility of it being the same reaction in this one may be high, but something I don't want to be overt.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #7364

Jan 2012
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
Well to a lot of people, including me, being a superhero means having abilities beyond the physical limits of a human being. Batman is a very strong human with some nice gadgets and a massive fortune but he is not a superhero. He's definitely a hero though and probably my favourite "non-powered" one of all-time.
I see where you're coming. I guess different opinions on this matter though.

What would be your view towards charterers like the Green Arrow, Wildcat, and/or the humans in the Green Lantern Corps. All humans with the absence of birth or engineer powers, but either the technology or the skills/training to surpass humans.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #7365
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

Quote:
That actually lighted it up a bit for me as well since I never viewed The Dark Knight as a movie pertaining to terrorism (possibly the effects of terrorism though, such as the people's perception of Batman after things start getting more violent), so the possibility of it being the same reaction in this one may be high, but something I don't want to be overt.
I agree.
Waiting for the all female blu-ray.com reboot.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #7366
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13

Quote:
I see where you're coming. I guess different opinions on this matter though.

What would be your view towards charterers like the Green Arrow, Wildcat, and/or the humans in the Green Lantern Corps. All humans with the absence of birth or engineer powers, but either the technology or the skills/training to surpass humans.
No idea who Wildcat is, the Green Lantern corp I view in the same vein as Iron Man and Batman really. "Normal" humanoids with combat training that surpass normal humans through other means, in this case a ring powered by a lantern that is as powerful as the person using it can make it.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #7367

Jan 2012
United States

Quote:
No idea who Wildcat is, the Green Lantern corp I view in the same vein as Iron Man and Batman really. "Normal" humanoids with combat training that surpass normal humans through other means, in this case a ring powered by a lantern that is as powerful as the person using it can make it.
Okay, I see where you're coming from more clearly now.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #7368
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
USA

Quote:
He is not a superhero, he is the "dark knight", knight = warrior = soldier. You take off his mask and cape, and basically you have a special ops of the likes of M:I. It's like Jim Caviezal's character in "person of Interest", give him money and a mask and that can very well be Batman.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #7369
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by G:Box View Post
He is not a superhero, he is the "dark knight", knight = warrior = soldier. You take off his mask and cape, and basically you have a special ops of the likes of M:I. It's like Jim Caviezal's character in "person of Interest", give him money and a mask and that can very well be Batman.
Yeah I still think they need to make him more technologically advanced after Nolan walks away. Iron Man can fly and shoot lasers, Batman should be able to do more than he does so far in Nolan's universe. Oh and I guess I was wrong, GL may be quite powerful with the ring but without it he's just Hal Jordan, a fighter jet pilot.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #7370
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
In my theater room.

Quote:
Well put! Agreed.

Nice mask in your avatar.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #7371
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Mildly yes and no. The Dark Knight Rises is done somewhat around modern time, so many of those issues that I would agree on with the differences in class are long gone. Unless this film is going to go into things such as slave labor, child labor, monopolized and regulated economics, etc., things that were major possibilities during Dickens's day, it's probably going to be done from a very modern day perspective. And trying my best not get political, the modern day view leans to far to the left for my taste.
These issues still exist today, simply with a shinier and happier face.
The whole "don't tax the poor rich people or help the dirty poor people" thing smacks very much of a dickens line:

``If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, ``they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Catwoman's line is VERY apt. There is a breaking point, and people on one side don't seem to know how perilously close to it they are.
Tru Blu

Thank you, Blu-ray.com for the Schindler's List Giveaway!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #7372
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad30 View Post
It looks like the Dark Knight just got caught watching a pirated version of The Avengers on his BatPad.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #7373
Special Member

Jul 2011

Bruce is wearing father's robe's! That is clearly a "TW" for Thomas Wayne.

TDKR

Batman Begins
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #7374
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Batman is not a superhero, it actually comes up from time to time with the Justice League.
Exactly. He is simply a man with great Tech
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, Never let it Fade away
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #7375
Power Member

Jan 2009
Feeling Minnesota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad30 View Post
Bruce is wearing father's robe's! That is clearly a "TW" for Thomas Wayne.
Wouldn't all of his father's clothing have burned at the end of Batman Begins?!

"I need someone...to show me my place in all of this."
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #7376
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBrown View Post
Wouldn't all of his father's clothing have burned at the end of Batman Begins?!
Doubt it, besides it wouldn't be that hard to make clothes that say TW on them. Wish this movie would get here already, 2008 seems so long ago.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #7377
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
USA

Quote:
Yeah I still think they need to make him more technologically advanced after Nolan walks away. Iron Man can fly and shoot lasers, Batman should be able to do more than he does so far in Nolan's universe. Oh and I guess I was wrong, GL may be quite powerful with the ring but without it he's just Hal Jordan, a fighter jet pilot.
I disagree, I think Nolan's portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne is perfect. It will not get any better.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #7378
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEGRASS View Post
It looks like the Dark Knight just got caught watching a pirated version of The Avengers on his BatPad.
He's actually sending out a tweet. "Man what I would give for a suit like Tony Stark's right now".
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #7379
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
He's actually sending out a tweet. "Man what I would give for a suit like Tony Stark's right now".
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #7380

Jan 2012
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDog View Post
These issues still exist today, simply with a shinier and happier face.
The whole "don't tax the poor rich people or help the dirty poor people" thing smacks very much of a dickens line:

``If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, ``they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Catwoman's line is VERY apt. There is a breaking point, and people on one side don't seem to know how perilously close to it they are.
Many of the issues I deliberately mentioned may still be modern day problems, but modern day problems in non-Western countries. Gotham City is supposed to be a metropolitan in the U.S.

And the assumption that I would agree with that statement is absurd. Besides the fact it makes no logical sense, on a personal level, I'm a firm believer in an equal flat tax for all economic classes.

So the comment, "Live so large and leave so little for the rest of us", would be something I would agree with, if they were physically or bureaucratically taking capital from lower-middle class people, but seeing how as a social class (not individual members of that economic group) that is not the case, I can't agree.

Edit: I apologize, I forgot I had mentioned regulated economies. Regulated economics is one of the reasons why both the U.S. and Western Europe are having so many financial problems as is, not to mention the loss of individual fiscal responsibility, but not even a fraction close to the extent of the problems during the 19th century, not to mention 19th century England. So even a slight resemblance between the two would be illogical.

Last edited by jla135; 04-13-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies