Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.84
14 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$6.53
7 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.00
4 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

A Bad Moms Christmas (Blu-ray)
$9.59

Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 04-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Default Grill/BBQ time!

So my cheapA$$ charbroil BBQ that lasted me 14yrs (so how cheap was it, I say?) finally died!

Woohoo...cuz now, I'm sitting in my hotel room in Fargo, ND with a brand spankin new Weber Genesis E 310 in my trunk! I can't wait to get home and fire this bad boy up. The reviews on it are fantastic.

What kind of grill (American) or BBQ (Canadian) do you have?
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver
Some Polk Audio Speakers and an Infninity Sub
There's also a Wii kickin around the mix!

THERE'S SOMETHING MOVIN AND IT AIN'T US!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post
So my cheapA$$ charbroil BBQ that lasted me 14yrs (so how cheap was it, I say?) finally died!

Woohoo...cuz now, I'm sitting in my hotel room in Fargo, ND with a brand spankin new Weber Genesis E 310 in my trunk! I can't wait to get home and fire this bad boy up. The reviews on it are fantastic.

What kind of grill (American) or BBQ (Canadian) do you have?
I have a Char-Broil BBQ that 5 yrs ago costed me about $500, it has a side burner and ceramic grates that are about 3/8" thick. Its an excellent BBQ, I have been using it for about a month and a half, since SoCal is nice and warm already.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Ducane have it for a few years now
been using it since Feb this year

Last edited by Anthony P; 04-17-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #4

Feb 2008

http://www.hotrodgrills.com/images/hrgbrochure.pdf
Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

Quick question, does charcoal really make a big difference? My wife and I are contemplating making the switch from propane to charcoal this year.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan1203 View Post
Quick question, does charcoal really make a big difference? My wife and I are contemplating making the switch from propane to charcoal this year.
charcoal will have a more smoky flavour and in that way it is better. On the other hand Propane is a lot easier (no need to light it up and wait for the coal to turn to ambers, you don't need to have the right amount of coal since it is hard to add more later on ...) and is more dependable (you can control the amount of gas coming out on propane., you know your grill and how it works, instead of having hot/cold zones depending on how well you distribute the ambers....) so in my opinion Charcoal gets a small win on taste while Propane gets a big one on usability.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Power Member

Apr 2009

I love grilling!

Just got done making some BBQ Pork Chops mmmmm

this is the grill I have. Love it!

link
Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
charcoal will have a more smoky flavour and in that way it is better. On the other hand Propane is a lot easier (no need to light it up and wait for the coal to turn to ambers, you don't need to have the right amount of coal since it is hard to add more later on ...) and is more dependable (you can control the amount of gas coming out on propane., you know your grill and how it works, instead of having hot/cold zones depending on how well you distribute the ambers....) so in my opinion Charcoal gets a small win on taste while Propane gets a big one on usability.
Indeed. I love the flavour from charcoal, but the total effort involved in briquette placement, lighting, waiting, then arranging is easily beatin by the click of button, and 5 minutes of preheat time.

However, I loved using charcoal when I'm camping. There's no sense of urgency to eat when I'm relaxing in the bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.C View Post
I love grilling!

Just got done making some BBQ Pork Chops mmmmm

this is the grill I have. Love it!

link
I considered this unit, but went for the Genesis instead, like the extra cooking room! Weber rocks!
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information.
If you do go charcoal, Kingsman has different products that allow for different flava's like Hickory, as well as briquettes infuzed with lighter fluid, which speed up cook times.

All sorts of neat stuff, compared to the "old days". When I was a kid, you waited close to an hr to put food on the grill, and there sure as heck weren't different flavours.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay Area

I'm so glad grilling weather is back! Grilled some burgers for supper tonight, and they really hit the spot!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154596-82210...ercial$y=0$x=0

PSN = ferris23
Actively Playing: Destiny 2, Rocket League, Horizon Zero Dawn
Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I am in the market for a new grill this year, finally made up my mind to get rid of the one we had for about 5 yrs now..saw a few good ones at Lowes the other day but I'll wait a few more weeks to see what other new ones that might be coming out..
MOE
Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #13

Nov 2009
Middle of The Mitten

I cook on my grill all year round here in Michigan.Nothing like sitting in your chair out side when its snowing.I'll go through 3 or 4 tanks of propane a year & about a small tree of hickory,cherry,or other fruit tree's chips for some smoke flavor with my meat.
PANASONIC Plasma TC-P65S1|Denon Receiver AVR-3313CI|PANASONIC Blu-ray DMP-BBT01|PARADIGM Front Monitor P90|PARADIGM Center Monitor CC-390|PARADIGM Surrounds Monitor ADP-390 l Definitive Technology Rear DI 5.5BPS l PARADIGM Subwoofer DSP-3200 v.2| MOTOROLA Cable Box DCx3200-M|RAY Universal Remote Control
Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
if you would like more of a smokey flavor, then get some wood chips(sold at the supermarkets), make sure they soak for about 30-45 minutes, before you turn on the propane BBQ, put the chips in foil pouch and poke a few holes, you will have to play with placement, but what I do is typically I am only cooking enough for my wife, 2 girls under 6 and myself, so I am not using all the cooking space I have, therefore I put the pouch on the opposite side of where I am gonna be using to cook on, I place it so that some of the flame reaches the bottom of the foil, but not too much, then I give it about a 5-10 head start, once you see the smoke from the chips, then place your steak, ribs or burgers on there to capture the flavor of the wood. Basically you have captured the essence of both types of grilling, smoke flavor and the ease of Propane use.

Just another thought for you. And its cheaper then getting a new BBQ
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR5010, NaimUniti 2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: NaimUniti 2 Streaming Integrated Amp, Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 04-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzipper3 View Post
I cook on my grill all year round here in Michigan.Nothing like sitting in your chair out side when its snowing.I'll go through 3 or 4 tanks of propane a year & about a small tree of hickory,cherry,or other fruit tree's chips for some smoke flavor with my meat.
Know what you mean, I don't BBQ all year round anymore (used to when I used to put the BBQ in the garage and then I just rolled it out to the drive way to use) because I hate BBQing in the dark and I have not found a suitable light source that let's me see the food while not illuminating my whole yard when I bring it out. But I can't understand the guy is CA and FL that are talking about the weather being good enough for a BBQ, that is part of the fun, going out with your jacket and gloves in the snow and coming in with something that brings a taste of summer.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #16

Jan 2008
PHX, AZ

I'm a charcoal griller. To me grilling is all about getting great flavor out of whatever I am cooking. I have never used and will never use propane. I live in AZ and BBQ at least 2 to 3 times a week. BBQ meat just makes meals taste so much better. Charcoal does get a little costly though. I have one of those cheap grills. I need to upgrade to something bigger and have a built in smoker.

Man, I am going to defrost those omaha steaks my in laws gave me last week. all this talk about grilling makes me hungry.
Living Room Set Up
46" LCD Samsung...lN46c630
Yamaha receiver...RX-V663
PS3 60GB(320GB), 20 Games, 40 BD's. WII, 11 Games
Master bedroom Set up
42" Plasma Poloroid...PLA 4205
Kenwood receiver...VR-615
Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
san die ego

i am actually trying out bbqing and smoking for the first time. so i bought a little $60 Brinkman horizontal smoker/bbq. I've broken it in and will most likely be trying it out this next week. any tips for a first timer? i also bought a charcoal starter tower because I hate the taste that lighter fluid leaves behind, some mesquite chips, and a little metal smoker box for the chips.
the avatar is my grandpa 1912-2006
56'' samsung dlp (1080p), ps3, oppo dv-980h, onkyo sr605, jbl, polk & onkyo speakers, acoustech h100 & velodyne vx-10 subs (7.1), 200+ BDs, about 40 sacds, dualdiscs, dvd-a's, & a comfy couch. bedroom: 32'' vizio, BA TVee system & ps3
Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #18

Nov 2009
Middle of The Mitten

Quote:
Know what you mean, I don't BBQ all year round anymore (used to when I used to put the BBQ in the garage and then I just rolled it out to the drive way to use) because I hate BBQing in the dark and I have not found a suitable light source that let's me see the food while not illuminating my whole yard when I bring it out. But I can't understand the guy is CA and FL that are talking about the weather being good enough for a BBQ, that is part of the fun, going out with your jacket and gloves in the snow and coming in with something that brings a taste of summer.
Some people just can't handle weather under 60 degrees.They sell some excellent clip on lights now that are led for cooking in the dark.If you can find any try some camping sites.
PANASONIC Plasma TC-P65S1|Denon Receiver AVR-3313CI|PANASONIC Blu-ray DMP-BBT01|PARADIGM Front Monitor P90|PARADIGM Center Monitor CC-390|PARADIGM Surrounds Monitor ADP-390 l Definitive Technology Rear DI 5.5BPS l PARADIGM Subwoofer DSP-3200 v.2| MOTOROLA Cable Box DCx3200-M|RAY Universal Remote Control
Old 04-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
They sell some excellent clip on lights now that are led for cooking in the dark.If you can find any try some camping sites.
have you tried any? and do you have any recommendations? when I was looking for a BBQ I saw one with built in lights but I was worried about the heat. My previous BBQ a Fiesta the cast iron lid cracked at the hinges after one of my mega BBQs because of the heat when I opened it. Like my sister says I only have two speeds when BBQing max and off
Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
CT Shoreline

I have a Perfect Flame that I bought for around $400 from Lowe's about 3 years ago when I bought my house. It's got the nice stainless grates, so no ceramic chips end up in my food.

I use it year round, even when it's chilly and snowing; I just love grilling. The only thing I would change about the grill is more grilling space. Sometimes we get a little behind on cooking at large gatherings, due to space limitations.

There's just nothing like a good steak or rack of ribs fresh off the grill, though.
PSN: SSRuns

My F/S thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage