Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #741
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonovan View Post
I stand by my earlier post ... I saw a theatrical screening ... It remember it looking better than this blu ray ... less saturated/contrast in some sections. Not so much contrast , but on this disk the shadows seem to have less detail and crushed.
Hey, I have no reason to doubt you. I just wished to have also seen it theatrically with my own eyes to re-confirm your observation.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #742

Jan 2012
Toronto, ON(CAN)
Canada

1) Bought the movie a few days ago
2) I saw the Movie today and finished a few minutes ago
3) When I began to see it, I thought the titles and credits lacked a good transfer and then I wait ............ and wait and wait and wait(Open the tray to confirm was Blu-Ray and not a simple DVD) and do not expect to have an excellent film with a transfer anything nice at all.
4) I just came here to the forum and found similar comments about the Picture quality.

Of course it's a great movie, but when someone expects a lot about something and not have the quality that you expect, what is "good" becomes "normal" or perhaps an "ok".

REGARDS

Last edited by PAULO JC; 06-30-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #743
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Felton, California

Needs a full-fledged proper 4K remaster but a 2-Discer if need be. Same with Dances with Wolves. AVC, tons of film grain with proper cinematic OAR and color timing and including the original track either lossless or uncompressed.
Importer supporter.
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate. Anti-DNR/EE.
Still working on the Upgrades but buying titles which interest me for a good price.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #744
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

I finally got around to seeing this a couple of months ago & thought it looked pretty good. The first shot with the title on looks very cold, & I thought oh no, here we go, but once they got to the camp I thought the colour looked fine. I'm sure it could be improved, but by the time they get around to that, discs will be a thing of the past (& maybe me too!). I can still remember seeing it at the cinema in 1963 with a couple of school mates. I had both the DVD releases. The first one I think must have used the VHS masters, non-anamorphic, a bit greeny & tons of noise reduction. The second DVD had far too much contrast, I suppose to make it look a bit sharper. Yeah, this'll do for me.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #745
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

I'd love to get this, it's a great movie. But even on sale for $8 ... every time I look at those BRDC caps I cringe and can't pull the trigger. I don't care if it's DNR or a 5th generation, non-OCN master or whatever - it looks like crap. Some of it's soft enough to be called out-of-focus! Maybe someday they'll do this great film justice, Until then, it's the occasional TCM night for me.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #746

Nov 2012

was going to blind buy this but now I dont know if I should or not....maybe i will just wait for the price to drop lower.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #747

Oct 2013
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I'd love to get this, it's a great movie. But even on sale for $8 ... every time I look at those BRDC caps I cringe and can't pull the trigger. I don't care if it's DNR or a 5th generation, non-OCN master or whatever - it looks like crap. Some of it's soft enough to be called out-of-focus! Maybe someday they'll do this great film justice, Until then, it's the occasional TCM night for me.
Glad this thread got a bump. I completely agree with everything you said. It really is a crime this didn't get the TLC it deserved. Criterion could do it so much justice...so much.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #748
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Jeez, why don't you just try watching it? As long as you're not drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid re: how "bad" it looks, you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #749
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Jeez, why don't you just try watching it? As long as you're not drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid re: how "bad" it looks, you'll be fine.
Geoff, no Kool-Aid here, buddy. If you've got it and you're happy, I'm happy for you - but just watching it would mean buying it and I don't have money to throw away. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't something I'd really like to watch. I'm not into caps, but this isn't some bug hunt for ephemeral noise or halos or whatever, every BRDC cap, and there are 40, is really soft. I've never seen anything like it. There's no way that's the movie I've seen so many times well, I guess it is just like the movie I watched way back when I had a lo-def TV. It's a crime.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Old 03-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #750
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

It's a 50-year-old movie shot on anamorphic with plenty of filters and whatnot, so softness is its middle name. I'm sure that a Lowry-style remastering, whereby they remove all the noise, enhance the detail and then (hopefully ) regrain it would make it look a lot sharper and more palatable for you, but for the moment it is what it is.

Besides, you wanna see soft, compare it to the caps of the DVD!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #751
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
I've never seen anything like it.
You haven't seen many 60s anamorphic films, then.

It's not the sharpest transfer out there, but considering the source, detail levels are pretty good.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #752
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
You haven't seen many 60s anamorphic films, then.

It's not the sharpest transfer out there, but considering the source, detail levels are pretty good.
My comment pertained to the quality of the film itself and the crap quality of the BD - and the dubious "restoration/4K" claims the BRDC reviewer takes issue with (also raising questions as to "the source"). But let's not make lazy, uneducated assumptions, okay? Most of my collection is listed here and you could've checked on any title you cared to argue the point with. So name me any 50s or "60s anamorphic films" that appear this soft - and I certainly don't buy your apparent suggestion that anamorphic films have to look soft on BD. While Ben-Hur, for example, was shot in 65 mm, it was also Panavision anamorphic (MGM's version) and has no such problems. So was it only 35 mm anamorphic? Again, examples, please.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #753
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
My comment pertained to the quality of the film itself and the crap quality of the BD - and the dubious "restoration/4K" claims the BRDC reviewer takes issue with (also raising questions as to "the source"). But let's not make lazy, uneducated assumptions, okay? Most of my collection is listed here and you could've checked on any title you cared to argue the point with. So name me any 50s or "60s anamorphic films" that appear this soft - and I certainly don't buy your apparent suggestion that anamorphic films have to look soft on BD.
Obviously it depends to some extent on the film; if the DP took care to shoot at a pretty deep stop, didn't use zooms, diffusion, etc, that would certainly help. If the transfer techs sharpen the shit out of it, that'll "help" too. But the lenses sucked (by objective metrics anyway, many filmmakers have embraced their optical defects). Softness was the norm. And now many of these films are littered with dupes, to boot.

A few major 4K restorations of approximately contemporary films for your consideration:
Sand Pebbles
Dr. Zhivago
The Guns of Navarone

Does it look as good as the most top-notch 4k restorations of the best-photographed scope films with the most stellar blu-ray authoring? No. Did those films ever look that good theatrically? Certainly not. Detail-wise, TGE is in the ballpark of what you would have seen.

Quote:
While Ben-Hur, for example, was shot in 65 mm, it was also Panavision anamorphic (MGM's version) and has no such problems. So was it only 35 mm anamorphic? Again, examples, please.
Between the 65mm negative and the much smaller anamorphic squeeze, the two formats are really not comparable. Old scope films tend to be soft. Ultra Panavision 70 films don't.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #754
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Obviously it depends to some extent on the film; if the DP took care to shoot at a pretty deep stop, didn't use zooms, diffusion, etc, that would certainly help. If the transfer techs sharpen the shit out of it, that'll "help" too. But the lenses sucked (by objective metrics anyway, many filmmakers have embraced their optical defects). Softness was the norm. And now many of these films are littered with dupes, to boot.

A few major 4K restorations of approximately contemporary films for your consideration:
Sand Pebbles
Dr. Zhivago
The Guns of Navarone

Does it look as good as the most top-notch 4k restorations of the best-photographed scope films with the most stellar blu-ray authoring? No. Did those films ever look that good theatrically? Certainly not. Detail-wise, TGE is in the ballpark of what you would have seen.

Between the 65mm negative and the much smaller anamorphic squeeze, the two formats are really not comparable. Old scope films tend to be soft. Ultra Panavision 70 films don't.
Fair enough, which is why I pointed out the difference (and MGM's process is considered to be an evolutionary step up). Unfortunately, you picked three movies I don't own so I can't compare (although I did check the BRDC caps for Navarone and, while they also look soft, they're a tad better - perhaps more care was taken).

Good news is that I found out that Escape is only $5.99 at Best Buy. Bad news, or maybe good news , is that probably indicates it's so bad it's not selling. If so, hopefully it's because of the quality of the BD and not because time has passed this film by. I would look forward to a 60th or 75th anniversary release, but I'm not sure I'll be around by then.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #755
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Quote:

Sand Pebbles
Dr. Zhivago
The Guns of Navarone

Good call on Navarone. Sooooo many dupes and a pretty beat-up negative all round. Sony have worked wonders with it, yet even with their famed 4K powers they can't bring it back to its former glory. I'm not saying we should be eternally thankful for how Great Escape looks on Blu-ray, but it could've been worse. If MGM actually put some effort into remastering it, it probably could've looked better, however for $5.99 I don't think there's much cause for complaint.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #756

Oct 2011

Hmm...$5.99 on Amazon. To buy or not to buy...

I'd get it to support a better rerelease, but I don't know if I'd watch it in its current state.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #757
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Well I dunno, I'd think anyone who actually loved this movie would have bought the Blu by now. I first saw it at the cinema in 1963 when I was twelve, & have caught up with it on the telly ever since; it's part of my life. I think a lot of people on here are more interested in AV than they are in movies. The Blu looks miles better than the two DVD editions, & we don't know what state the original negatives are in.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #758
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Indeedy. Even if it was free I don't think some of the folks around here would want it.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #759
Expert Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
Hmm...$5.99 on Amazon. To buy or not to buy...

I'd get it to support a better rerelease, but I don't know if I'd watch it in its current state.
Have you even seen it yet? If not, then try watching it before you make up your mind on it's current state.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #760
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Have you even seen it yet? If not, then try watching it before you make up your mind on it's current state.
Wouldn't he have to buy the BD in order to see the BD in order to make up his mind - which is what he wuz unsure about?

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America