Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection (Blu-ray)
$56.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
The Buster Keaton Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Lights Out (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #7821
El_Fez El_Fez is offline
Senior Member
 
El_Fez's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Seattle, washington
533
389
1
Default

Concur - mine showed up a couple of days ago and while I haven't watched the whole thing yet (Hey, I have a bunch of American Ninja to get through! Dont judge me!), I did take a quick look. The picture is gorgeous and the disc plays fine, even the extras.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #7822
balthazar_bee balthazar_bee is offline
Power Member
 
balthazar_bee's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Default

I've never had any particular problem with the TT disc -- sometimes the blue darkness becomes a bit overbearing, but at other times I prefer the look to the garish daylight of the DVD transfer -- but I'm tempted to go for this release anyway. Call it the act of an idle blu-ray consumer who just got a nice little tax refund.

What I've gathered is that the picture is certainly no worse than the TT release, just minus the blue? Effectively the same otherwise?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
lifepawn (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #7823
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Detroit, MI
1138
6
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
What I've gathered is that the picture is certainly no worse than the TT release, just minus the blue? Effectively the same otherwise?
It's an older transfer, and isn't as pristine as the TT release. But it's minus the blue and darkness, which makes it better overall.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
balthazar_bee (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #7824
ditcin ditcin is offline
Special Member
 
ditcin's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
NY
444
1
Default

Actually, after watching the film again the blue tint just doesn't make sense the way it's edited. It's not until the Barbara character get to the house is there a montage showing the setting sun - so why would it be tinted blue prior to that? Perhaps graying the brightness minus a tint would suggest a cloudy sky, but a blue tint is simply wrong when viewing the montage.
Samsung 65" UHD JS9500
Marantz SR7009,
Oppo BDP-103
7.3.4 Atmos System - Orb Audio Speakers
ADX Maximus Tactile Bass Shaker (2)
Earthquake MKVI & EARTHQUAKE MINI ME P8 Subwoofer (2)
X-Box One, WiiU
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #7825
WhySoBlu? WhySoBlu? is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
WhySoBlu?'s Avatar
 
Sep 2014
RIP, Your Royal Badness
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
It's an older transfer, and isn't as pristine as the TT release. But it's minus the blue and darkness, which makes it better overall.
Plus it has a great interview with Tom Savini.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or ****in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7INsVaR-S-w
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #7826
Jlouisbarrett Jlouisbarrett is offline
Senior Member
 
Jlouisbarrett's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bangor, ME
Default

Just placed an order for the Australian release of this. I knew about the improved color timing but didn't realize it also has more special features until after I placed the order and looked at the back over image on this site, so... score!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #7827
bigdaddyhorse bigdaddyhorse is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
SE MI.
749
1146
4
73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
Actually, after watching the film again the blue tint just doesn't make sense the way it's edited. It's not until the Barbara character get to the house is there a montage showing the setting sun - so why would it be tinted blue prior to that? Perhaps graying the brightness minus a tint would suggest a cloudy sky, but a blue tint is simply wrong when viewing the montage.
Bingo!
This was brought up before, somewhere between page 20 and 50 or so I'd guess but really proves the changes weren't as intended as some think they are. The first and last 5 minutes of the TT disc look amazing, the rest is just different shades of ****ed.

For others who may have missed lots of this thread, the changes were literally phoned in by the DP and done by a non-skilled monkey. Phoned in is true, he said on twitter he talked to them (on the phone) about what they wanted to go for, so some tinting/dimming was requested, just nothing near what we got and certainly shouldn't have started so early (or been far more subtle early to make the sunset montage make sense). Were it monkey or man who did them has yet to be proven.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #7828
EvilResident EvilResident is offline
Senior Member
 
EvilResident's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Duluth, MN
10
973
Default

I can't help but feel bad for said monkey. I wonder if they realize they done f***** up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #7829
#Darren #Darren is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
#Darren's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
1236
59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Bingo!
Were it monkey or man who did them has yet to be proven.
i thought it was the cat..

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Ronnie67 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #7830
Petey Parker Petey Parker is offline
Power Member
 
Petey Parker's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
1207
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I can't help but feel bad for said monkey. I wonder if they realize they done f***** up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #7831
#Darren #Darren is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
#Darren's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
1236
59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinkDinkerson View Post
Is this the Aussie version -> https://www.amazon.ca/Night-Living-D...ead+%281990%29

It says Region B & A while the product description says it won't play in NA players. I know amazon isn't the most reliable but want to make sure.
yes that is the Aussie version
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #7832
JackKnightStarman JackKnightStarman is offline
Special Member
 
JackKnightStarman's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
San Fransokyo
1462
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinkDinkerson View Post
So will it play in my locked 'A' player? One of the reviews said the special features may not play (something about being in 50khz while our players only read 60 or something like that). Also, some are saying it's region B but their region A players still work?!?
Check your player's manual. If it says it can handle 50hz and 30fps, than yes you will be able to watch the extras... Most American players cannot. There are some that can...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #7833
Region_unlocked Region_unlocked is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2014
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinkDinkerson View Post
So will it play in my locked 'A' player? One of the reviews said the special features may not play (something about being in 50khz while our players only read 60 or something like that). Also, some are saying it's region B but their region A players still work?!?
I have the disc and can confirm that it's region free and all the extras, even the SD ones, play on an average US player (IE: it's all 60khz).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #7834
WorkShed WorkShed is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
WorkShed's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Waukee, IA
898
32
Default

The 1990 disc plays fine on Region A. If you had the limited edition, the extras on the original NOTLD were the trouble spots on Region A. The movie still plays fine, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:17 AM   #7835
GeoffOliver GeoffOliver is offline
Active Member
 
GeoffOliver's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
215
346
Default

Well happy day. I FINALLY added this movie to my Blu-ray collection. I picked up Umbrella's edition from Amazon for only $15, and it got here in less than 48 hours. The disc is awesome. Great transfer, great extras, and the rating sticker is the only indicator that it's a foreign release. This easily makes up for the years and years of trying to find a copy of TT's edition for a decent price, with it's inferior transfer and extras selection. This edition is definitely the way to go, and it's really easy to get now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 AM   #7836
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
1513
293
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Well happy day. I FINALLY added this movie to my Blu-ray collection. I picked up Umbrella's edition from Amazon for only $15, and it got here in less than 48 hours. The disc is awesome. Great transfer, great extras, and the rating sticker is the only indicator that it's a foreign release. This easily makes up for the years and years of trying to find a copy of TT's edition for a decent price, with it's inferior transfer and extras selection. This edition is definitely the way to go, and it's really easy to get now.
In terms of extras there's a great new (2016) interview with the two special make up effects guys which in my mind is one if the best exclusive extra for the Umbrella edition
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 AM.