Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$95.24
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.74
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #241

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagal View Post
Iīve just purchased both "The Undefeated" and "North to Alaska" and I can tell you that the picture quality is awesome.

Fox did a fantastic job on both movies
I recieved them both yesterday, and can not wait to see them!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #242
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

So I just read the puzzling review of The Undefeated (in which Kauffman focuses more on Percy Faith, who apparently had nothing to do with the movie, Hugo Montenegro and easy listening music in general than the actual movie itself - which he seemingly thought sucked). Given that I loathe Rock Hudson (except for the occasional Doris Day flick), do you guys have anything good to say about The Undefeated?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #243

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
So I just read the puzzling review of The Undefeated (in which Kauffman focuses more on Percy Faith, who apparently had nothing to do with the movie, Hugo Montenegro and easy listening music in general than the actual movie itself - which he seemingly thought sucked). Given that I loathe Rock Hudson (except for the occasional Doris Day flick), do you guys have anything good to say about The Undefeated?
Yes, the transfer is immaculate! The film itself is very average, but it's still an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Also, FOX appears to have digitally removed the pickup truck seen across the river during the last scene. It was always there for split second, but with the new BD release, the truck is no more.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #244
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Hey! Chisum, one of my favorite '60's John Wayne movies, is coming out in 5 days ...
...... in France!

Last edited by Early Memphis; 01-03-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #245
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Just in case anyone doesn't know (and I didn't until they sent me an email ) : ever since December 17, Amazon UK has been having a 2 BDs for Ģ10 sale - and several John Wayne BDs are included. I can confirm The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn (as I just ordered them). I got 4 BDs for $42.96 shipped - the best price on the four I ordered that I've seen (and I've been watching). Several Clint Eastwood BDs are on the list as well. The sale ends Sunday, March 30, 2014.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #246

May 2013

Quote:
Hey! Chisum, one of my favorite '60's John Wayne movies, is coming out in 5 days ...
...... in France!

Itīs been cancelled. Damn.....
Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #247
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagal View Post
Itīs been cancelled. Damn.....
Well, set back anyways - all the way to December of '14. WTF, it's not like they're still filming.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #248
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
a large castle in Segovia, Spain
-

what a joke.
sigh.....................
Old 01-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #249
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

So I get notified that Rooster Cogburn is now up for pre-order - and the copy I just ordered from the UK should be in any day now.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rooste...Blu-ray/68238/

Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #250

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

Quote:
So I get notified that Rooster Cogburn is now up for pre-order - and the copy I just ordered from the UK should be in any day now.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rooste...Blu-ray/68238/
Both the UK releases of Rooster Cogburn and The War Wagon are outstanding transfers. Wish all JW films released on BD looked this good.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #251
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_45 View Post
Both the UK releases of Rooster Cogburn and The War Wagon are outstanding transfers. Wish all JW films released on BD looked this good.
Can't wait! Got 'em both coming and they're a week late. Amazon.UK doesn't give a delivery range like Amazon.US so it's just day-to-day, watch & wait now.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #252

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Can't wait! Got 'em both coming and they're a week late. Amazon.UK doesn't give a delivery range like Amazon.US so it's just day-to-day, watch & wait now.
In my opinion, The War Wagon is slightly a better looking transfer, but that could have been due to the film stocks used during the 1960s, as opposed to the 1970s. That said, they are both simply fantastic looking. Enjoy!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 AM   #253
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
In my opinion, The War Wagon is slightly a better looking transfer, but that could have been due to the film stocks used during the 1960s, as opposed to the 1970s. That said, they are both simply fantastic looking. Enjoy!
I'll have to keep waiting. They lost mine and have to reship.

I'm not worried about the PQ, I'm sure it'll be great (my DVD of War Wagon was pretty lame). My concern is the sound. These days I watch movies with headphones, so I'm hoping for stereo of some sort. Failing that, if they're mono, I sure hope it's the identical L/R channel mono and not the kind where they push everything thru the center speaker.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #254

Jan 2011
South Carolina

Got the UK BD's of The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn....excellent transfers.

Now looking forward to getting the El Dorado and Hatari! BD's in March.

Next, I'd like to see the rest of John Wayne's 1970's films on BD:

Chisum (1970)
The Train Robbers (1973)
McQ (1974)
Cahill, US Marshal (1974)
Brannigan (1975)
The Shootist (1976)
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #255

Jun 2012
Omaha

I want Hondo on 3D Blu-ray. I know it was a Warner title, but I think the rights went to Paramount now.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #256

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajon View Post
I want Hondo on 3D Blu-ray. I know it was a Warner title, but I think the rights went to Paramount now.
That would be great. Also, if we could have the option of seeing the film in the 1:1.33 aspect ratio along with the 1:1.78 aspect ratio (which the current BD does not have).
Old 02-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #257
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
a large castle in Segovia, Spain
-

Hondo bd was a total missed opportunity plain and simple.
just don't see it ever being re-released with 3D option unfortunately.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #258
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Okay, I can't tell which of you guys are joking (or not ). Why the hell would anyone want a 1953 western ported over to 3D!? I was happy with the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 upgrade (which drives purists nuts), but 3D? And according to IMDb, Hondo's OAR was 1.85:1, so 1:78 is close - but 1.33:1? Gotta be kidding, right? And so, since I don't get it, I'll ask - why the hell was the Hondo BD "a total missed opportunity"?

EDIT : Okay , I totally forgot about reading that article when I first read the review:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/hondo-3-d-release

Hondo was shot using "stereoscopic photography" and, according to the article, "was originally shown in Polaroid 3-D. In fact, Hondo had one of the widest releases of any 3-D feature from the 1950's."

Last edited by Early Memphis; 02-01-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #259

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

Quote:
And according to IMDb, Hondo's OAR was 1.85:1, so 1:78 is close - but 1.33:1? Gotta be kidding, right?
Seeing Hondo for years in it's 1.33.1 ratio, it was distracting to lose picture information on the top and bottom of the image that was once there, but no longer. I'm not saying that it was wrong to present it in the widescreen format, but I just wish Paramount would have given the option of seeing it in either version. Much like you enjoying the 5.1 stereo that was never there to begin with. Just nice to have the option.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #260
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Seeing Hondo for years in it's 1.33.1 ratio, it was distracting to lose picture information on the top and bottom of the image that was once there, but no longer. I'm not saying that it was wrong to present it in the widescreen format, but I just wish Paramount would have given the option of seeing it in either version. Much like you enjoying the 5.1 stereo that was never there to begin with. Just nice to have the option.
So when you saw it in 1:33.1 they didn't just cut the sides? They used some of the top & bottom which was cut for the WS? I know there's always extra info out by the threads (can't remember what that's called), but it takes a whole new scan or reframed master to include it so I figured TV would just clip the sides. In any case, if that's how you grew up seeing it ... I wish you had the option.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America