Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steve McQueen Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
4 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
17 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 12-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #1621

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
Because AVATAR wasn't big enough when It came out?
Considering the BDs weren't finished then, the release of the first Avatar has nothing do with the current or future situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
Do they expect everyone to just Stop buying these & stream everything when so much has been invested (in HT gear, blu-rays, etc) ?? I think not (& Hope Not!)
That's the plan. Even Adobe discontinued updating Encore, their premiere blu-ry disc maker/burner, because even they admit to everything pushing toward digital content. I personally can't wait to get rid of physical media, and have already started ripping all my blu to digital files. No more disc rot or bronzing, problems with scratches, smashed cases from bubble mailers.

The problem is that people equate digital files to streaming, and the two aren't nearly the same thing. Streaming (right now, anyway) is still inferior, but with Internet speeds increasing, you'll eventually be able to get the equivalent of a blu-ray over streaming services. People forget that technology is evolving at an exponential rate, and when they talk about streaming they only think of how it is right now.

Last edited by Bates_Motel; 12-20-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #1622
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
Indeed, I may not be in love with some of the colour choices but in motion it's amazing to look at.
True lies in motion looks like an early Hd master that I doubt came from the neg, but Abyss is great
I like the colour because it really works for the undersea environment (there's not much magenta under the sea!), and there's still plenty of actual blue to go with the teal. It's a shame that the neon glow of the NTI's has been dulled a bit and it'd be great to have that put back, but if they offered me that master on a Blu-ray with a chunky encode I'd bite their hand off.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #1623
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I like the colour because it really works for the undersea environment (there's not much magenta under the sea!), and there's still plenty of actual blue to go with the teal. It's a shame that the neon glow of the NTI's has been dulled a bit and it'd be great to have that put back, but if they offered me that master on a Blu-ray with a chunky encode I'd bite their hand off.
Like I said, some of the choices.
The model work underwater looks amazing finally, miles better but some of it looks crap
Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #1624
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1400scale View Post
More like this is a symptom of the studios' desire to discontinue physical media altogether and move to streaming content only (for home video).
If that were the case, we'd see major films not getting released on physical media and that's most certainly NOT the case (and even though sales of physical media are dropping).

There's always been something strange about these films. Years ago, I bought a copy of "The Abyss" on DVD (on sale) that was clearly marked "Widescreen" and when I got it home, it was pan & scan. And I've only seen pan & scan versions on TV.

I have to believe that there is some big hangup on the rights to these films. Maybe Cameron has final say on release and he simply hasn't gotten around to it or doesn't want to deal with it or there's some other rights issue. But it's got to be something of that nature or there's some dispute going on between Lightstorm and 20cFox or Cameron and Murdoch.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #1625
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

And yet Titanic and Avatar have made it onto Blu-ray from Fox. True Lies was Cameron's first movie that he made under the Lightstorm banner and they/he actually owns the copyright so maybe there's something more to it, but Abyss is certainly owned by Fox so what's the hold-up there? IIRC that was the first film where Cameron had contractual final cut (yes, cutting it down for the theatrical release was his decision) so I still think it's to do with him signing off on the Blu-ray.

Given that we know a new transfer has been made and presumably approved by JC (it surely wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise), I wonder if it's not so much the movie but the Blu-ray package that JC and Fox are at loggerheads over? Perhaps Fox want to put out a cheapy disc and Cameron wants a full-fat package as befits his "status"?

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Fox were holding on to them as 4K launch titles though.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #1626
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
And yet Titanic and Avatar have made it onto Blu-ray from Fox. True Lies was Cameron's first movie that he made under the Lightstorm banner and they/he actually owns the copyright so maybe there's something more to it, but Abyss is certainly owned by Fox so what's the hold-up there? IIRC that was the first film where Cameron had contractual final cut (yes, cutting it down for the theatrical release was his decision) so I still think it's to do with him signing off on the Blu-ray.

Given that we know a new transfer has been made and presumably approved by JC (it surely wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise), I wonder if it's not so much the movie but the Blu-ray package that JC and Fox are at loggerheads over? Perhaps Fox want to put out a cheapy disc and Cameron wants a full-fat package as befits his "status"?

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Fox were holding on to them as 4K launch titles though.
He still has the right to approve all release masters, I believe Van Ling mentioned this
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #1627

Dec 2013
Canada

Quote:
That... actually makes a measure of sense.

Studios love double-dipping, but the heavy-hitter filmmakers don't necessarily like doing it (Del Toro and Jackson often give buyers a heads-up ahead of time, as just a couple of examples).

Wouldn't put it past the Studio heads (like the guy Cameron fingered at the Terminator screening back in October) to try and pull something like that, if only to milk us as much as possible before their final agenda of exclusively online streaming is fully realized.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #1628
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

After almost 1700 meaningless posts and 82 pages, there is still no official announcement for The Abyss, and True Lies, to be released on blu-ray? Then why keep continuously bumping this thread because, everything else is pointless!

Last edited by slimdude; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #1629
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
After almost 1700 meaningless posts and 82 pages, there is still no official announcement for The Abyss, and True Lies, to be released on blu-ray? Then why keep continuously bumping this thread. Everything else is pointless!
As is your meaningless post.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #1630
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
As is your meaningless post.
You've just validated my statement even more, without even knowing it! Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #1631
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
You've just validated my statement even more, without even knowing it! Thanks.
"without even knowing it" Could you be anymore pompous ?

...but if that's the validation you crave in life, so be it.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday), WhySoBlu? (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #1632

Jun 2014

Quote:
After almost 1700 meaningless posts and 82 pages, there is still no official announcement for The Abyss, and True Lies, to be released on blu-ray? Then why keep continuously bumping this thread because, everything else is pointless!
Because we love talking about the film and speculating about the Blu-ray release.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #1633
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
He still has the right to approve all release masters, I believe Van Ling mentioned this
Sure, I didn't say otherwise. But, as mentioned, he literally pointed the finger at Fox when asked the question at that recent Terminator screening, so I'm guessing it's nothing to do with approving the masters at all (that's done and dusted), it's more about how Lightstorm and Fox have differing ideas about what approach to take.

Fox may still have concerns about True Lies' subject matter and don't want to 'celebrate' the movie with a spiffy Special Edition (if they want to re-release it at all), while Cameron might be angling for a fancy 3-disc set of Abyss like he did with Avatar and Fox just don't feel it's worth that sort of outlay. Perhaps he should tell them it was a prequel to Avatar, then they'd release it quicker than a bullet.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #1634

Jun 2014

Here are some Aliens screencap comparisons to enjoy.

Top - DVD
Bottom - Blu-ray

It appears both films are following a similar color change for the Blu-ray / Cable TV release:

Last edited by ck105; Today at 12:12 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists