Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Red Dwarf XII (Blu-ray)
$18.97
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #1

May 2009
Disney Fantasia / Fantasia 2000 (1940-1999) (Special Edition)

Fantasia 2 Movie Collection Blu-ray

Fantasia 2 Movie Collection Blu-ray Review

Coming November 30th as a 4-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack.

Last edited by iScottie; 01-09-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Special Member

Mar 2009
Canada

Most of this was pretty much a confirmed rumour, but the question i want to know is what titles will be Diamond edition and what ones will be just regular special edition

I really want a full blown Diamond Dumbo edition...love that movie
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #3

Jul 2009
Hollywood, CA

Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 should look and sound pretty sweet on blu. Keep em coming Disney!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #4

Jul 2009

Disney seriously needs to clarify what is Diamond and what is Platinum. I had the impression that Diamond were going to be Platinum rereleases. Well they are putting Dumbo as a Diamond? And Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 as a Platinum? It's confusing. I want all of them though, especially the Beauty and the Beast Bluray!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Diamond is the new Platinum. There will be no more 'Platinum' releases, those will now all be called 'Diamond.'

Nothing of next year's slate is confirmed, but from all the info going around it would seem that Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 will be Diamond titles, and Dumbo will be a 'Special Edition.' The little advertisement poster that The HDRoom posted doesn't mention Diamond anywhere for Dumbo, just 'Special Edition.'

I think the 'Diamond' thing is a bit of a gimmick. As long as they do a good job with the movie, I don't care if it's a special edition or diamond edition or whatever edition. The Diamond releases will only be 2 a year, so it is high-time Disney starts releasing some of their other animated films on Blu-ray in non-Diamond versions. If every film got a Diamond version, it'd take 20+ years to get them all and that's obviously not realistic. A Dumbo special edition alongside a Fantasia diamond edition will be a nice start.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #6

Jan 2009

Good news everyone!

I love Disney Blus. I cannot WAIT for Fantasia.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
I think the Platinum line is no more - all bets are off on what's coming to 2-disc Blu-Ray.
Think Dumbo was just an isolated incident--
I'm still paranoid that we're strategically being viral'ed something Dumbo-related down the road, "Peter Pan" style, or that insiders just wanted to stick up for the depressing-but-artistically-culted under-elephant.

Then again, they could just be experimenting with non-Diamond classic-Blu's just for a test case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Andy0o View Post
And Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 as a Platinum? It's confusing.
Not really--
THEIR version of the story was that F2K "flopped" in small-town theaters (because either it opened without comparative fanfare because newspapers wouldn't re-review it, or 80% of its business had already been spent selling out the big-city IMAX'es)....
So, due to historical timing, F2K's reputation ended up tacked onto the '97-'03 post-Pocahontas "flops"--And as with the original DVD, Disney thinks it won't sell under its own power and that the only way they can sell a copy is to tandem-promote it with their established F'40.

...Fine with me.

Last edited by EricJ; 09-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009
Pasadena, CA

The Platinum titles were/are:

Snow White
Beauty & The Beast
The Lion King
Alladin
Bambi
Cinderella
Lady & The Tramp
The Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
The Jungle Book
101 Dalmations
Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio (was newly added)
Fantasia (was newly added)

Everything else has been a special edition, masterpiece edition, big top edition, blah, blah etc. Not sure if their new Diamond line includes these but it would seem like it would.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I am only looking forward to Fantasia, I won't be getting Fantasia 2000
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 AM   #10

Aug 2007
Taos, NM

bring it on Disney, bring it on!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #11
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Dumbo will be a special edition, not a platinum release. Snow White & Beauty and the Beast are Diamond editions.
The Diamond editions are upgrades from the platinum editions. For example a title will not have two platinum editions, it will have one platinum followed by an upgraded Diamond edition. The other main title I would look for next year sometime is Aladdin. The moniker used may be either Diamond, Special or Platinum, but I actually think it will stay a Platinum edition and simply be re-released as the first Disney Blu-Ray exclusive release, where NO DVD will be re-issued.

Last edited by that1guystudios; 09-10-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #12

Jul 2009
mexico
Send a message via Yahoo to cuau_cg

and where did you get that information? That's not what Disney has told. Actually i've never read something like that about the platinums still coming, diamond are upgrades, and dumbo being a special edition.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #13
Power Member

Sep 2008
New York City

Dumbo is new news!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Missouri PSN: TLOWNESU

I have not seen the 1st Fantasia but I loved Fantasia 2000
TL OWNS U's Trophy Card TLOU's Small Game Sale and Trade Shop

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS 2011 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #15
Special Member

Dec 2008
Maryland

Nice I've been wondering when the Fantasia films would be released. Can't wait until next year
"You're a woman, Harry"
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

The 'Diamond' moniker is not a one-off title. Disney has formally announced the 'Diamond Collection' so other titles will definitely get the 'Diamond' treatment in the future.

Copy of the press release - http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89344

Relevant quote:
Quote:
The historic and highly-anticipated release fittingly launches a spectacular all-new product line – Disney’s Diamond Collection. Poised to transform home entertainment, just as the movie itself transformed the entire motion-picture industry upon its debut in 1937, the revolutionary new Diamond Collection brings audiences the most immersive and highest-level viewing experience, that includes unparalleled features, exclusive high definition content and updatable experiences, superior picture and sound, and much, much more. Taking home entertainment to fantastic new heights unlike anything before, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition marks the film’s first-ever high-definition Blu-ray bow, on October 6, while the standard definition will be released seven weeks later, on November 24.
So while it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated that the Platinum collection is being replaced by the Diamond, it certainly seems fair to take that implication from the press release. The last high-profile release was Pinocchio this Spring, and that had the Platinum title. Snow White would be the first 'double-dip' Platinum title if they kept the Platinum moniker, so this is a fitting time to switch to a new one.

Dumbo was not a Platinum release before, so it stands to reason that it will also not be a Diamond release. Yes, sure, it is possible - but there is zero evidence to suggest that will happen. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that WON'T be the case. The advertisement promoting Dumbo's Blu-ray debut that TheHDRoom has posted shows the release as having a 'Special Edition' title.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Disney...o_Blu-ray/5597
Old 09-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
Special Member

Mar 2009
Canada

I wish disney would just Eventually release all their titles at the different tiers

For example The 4 levels are

Gold
Special edition
Platinum
Diamond

Gold are no longer made but in the DVD format it still would sit at the first tier. (the first tier would always drop off as higher tiers are introduced) I think all except Black Cauldron have been given at least a special edition release, but now that diamond is the highest it would be nice if some of the titles that are only on special edition (like dumbo, robin hood etc) would now get a bump up to Platinum editions

you could consider it a graduation system, Disney would still only allow a certian number of titles (i think they base it on VHS sales) to be at the highest tier, but when i new highest level is introduced the titles bellow it all get to respectivly move up a level

I know this involves a new higher level being introduced about every 10 years but it would mean that some of the forgotten titles in the disney library would automatically be bumped up and recieve better treatment
Old 09-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

I will buy most, if not all Disney animated releases. I would be thrilled if we saw 4 releases this coming year, but I hope it will be more.

I can't wait for Lilo and Stitch much longer.
Tru Blu

Thank you, Blu-ray.com for the Schindler's List Giveaway!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
So did Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, The Aristocats, etc etc etc...Disney hasn't used the words "Platinum Edition" on the packaging art of any film since the DVD release of Snow White. I think the lines are starting to blur between Platinum, Diamond, whatever, and as Disney has made no formal announcement of the films included in a "Diamond" line, everything is up for grabs. Really, when you have a 2 disc Blu Ray release of Dumbo, loaded up with bonus features and a blu ray transfer, what really distinguishes it from Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty anyway? The "Platinum" "Diamond" "Special" monikes lose all meaning. See the 2-disc releases of Tarzan, Atlantis, Dinosaur, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Emperor's New Groove -- they weren't Platinums, but they damn sure rivaled the PE line when it came to content.
I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Do you live in North America? Because here in North America, Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and all other Platinum titles most definitely did have 'Platinum' in the title and on the DVD art. The others you mention - Mulan, Aristocats - were never part of the Platinum line.

Here is the full list of previous Platinum titles, with links to the DVD cover art so you can see that it really does say 'Platinum':

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - http://www.amazon.com/White-Dwarfs-D...2075404&sr=8-1
Beauty and the Beast - http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Beast-S...2075439&sr=1-1
The Lion King - http://www.amazon.com/Lion-King-Disn...2075463&sr=1-1
Aladdin - http://animationarchive.net/Feature%...mation/DVD.jpg
Bambi - http://www.amazon.com/2-Disc-Special...2075535&sr=8-2
Cinderella - http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0
Lady and the Tramp - http://auctions.overstock.com/aimage...41788779_1.jpg
The Little Mermaid - http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0
Peter Pan - http://www.amazon.com/Peter-2-Disc-P...2075755&sr=8-2
The Jungle Book - http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Book-40...2075775&sr=1-1
One Hundred and One Dalmatians - http://www.amazon.com/Dalmatians-Two...2075796&sr=1-1
Sleeping Beauty - http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...on_blu-ray.jpg
Pinocchio - http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...on_blu-ray.jpg

All say 'Platinum.' The upcoming Snow White says Diamond, and presumably future titles will as well.

As for your second point - I agree, there isn't a real line in terms of content - both Platinum and humble normal 'special editions' can have amazing content. The Platinum / Diamond moniker is a marketing term, nothing else. But it is still a concrete product line, with definite products that will follow a certain release schedule. There will be 2 Diamond releases a year (possibly 3 this year if the Fantasias are bundled together), one in Spring and one in Fall, and the titles will most likely be pulled from the previous Platinum line. Other films will be Special Editions, or have random one-off titles that relate to the movie like 'Big Top Edition' or whatever, and won't have as rigid a release structure.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

I thought the "Platinum" titles were the ones only available for a limited time before being "put back in the vault" (as Disney likes to say ). While the designated "Special Edition" titles would always be available.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America