Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Home Alone Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray)
$74.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #4001
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I don't think anyone said that the 5.1 was the original, and the shortcomings of the 2.0 mix have been noted by others upthread (rumours abound that it actually IS the Laserdisc master because Warners had no better elements, and bear in mind that the LD mix itself wasn't regarded as one of the great audio experiences).
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #4002

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I don't think anyone said that the 5.1 was the original, and the shortcomings of the 2.0 mix have been noted by others upthread (rumours abound that it actually IS the Laserdisc master because Warners had no better elements, and bear in mind that the LD mix itself wasn't regarded as one of the great audio experiences).
I was told it had the original audio, period. I wasn't told that it had the 5.1 new soundtrack and the 2.0 was the original theatrical audio. So if I want to give MY impressions of the audio on S1, I can. If you didn't like my post because you thought, since someone else didn't like the audio you didn't need to give your opinions too, then too bad. I will continue to express my positive or negative comments about the quality of blurays I spend my money on when I see fit while showing respect to others when showed equal respect, until the moderators change this site so as only one comment per bluray is allowed.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #4003
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doover View Post
I was told it had the original audio, period. I wasn't told that it had the 5.1 new soundtrack and the 2.0 was the original theatrical audio. So if I want to give MY impressions of the audio on S1, I can. If you didn't like my post because you thought, since someone else didn't like the audio you didn't need to give your opinions too, then too bad. I will continue to express my positive or negative comments about the quality of blurays I spend my money on when I see fit while showing respect to others when showed equal respect, until the moderators change this site so as only one comment per bluray is allowed.
Wow, maybe you should take a breath before you dive off a cliff, doover. Not one single word in Geoff's post was critical of you or what you said - in fact, for Geoff, it was rather tame. The forums exist for an exchange of views, if you can't handle anything other than subservient devotion, perhaps you shouldn't post at all.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Thanks given by:
DJMcNiff (Today), Geoff D (Yesterday), Petra_Kalbrain (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #4004
Special Member

Sep 2011

Superman Returns should be released with a proper remaster and colour corrected. I attempted my own version on photoshop -

1. Corrected to look more dynamic and film-like. Maybe the contrast is a bit higher.

large-superman-returns-blu-ray12.jpg

2. Original

large-superman-returns-blu-ray12 (1).jpg

The Bluray colours are not only dull, they lack proper contrast, sharpness and is overalll a flat image. Very unlike the golden hues the golden hues that Newton Thomas Siegel created for the movie, as seen in the return to Krypton scene, which has a crisp image quality. The whole movie should be like that. Come on Warner, its almost 10 years. Time to give us a faithful transfer of the movie.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #4005
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

You need to make the Reds much brighter. They still look Brown.
Looking for the following:
UV:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1
Disk:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
Movie:
Jaws DigiBook
300 DigiBook
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #4006
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I saw the movie a couple of times theatrically and it NEVER looked like your 'remaster', Riddhi. If that timing is what Singer wanted, then that's what Singer got. If the Return to Krypton scene looks comparatively sharper it's because it's been freshly encoded, unlike the bit-starved HD DVD encode of the main movie which has been wheeled out by Warners for years.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (Yesterday), PeterTHX (Yesterday), warrian (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #4007
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
You need to make the Reds much brighter. They still look Brown.
Hmm. But I like this look myself. Makes it look like older photochemical timing.
[EDIT]: Oh, you mean the red cape and 'S'? That'll involve a more complex re-colouring process than simple tonal variations, which is what I did here.

Quote:
I saw the movie a couple of times theatrically and it NEVER looked like your 'remaster', Riddhi. If that timing is what Singer wanted, then that's what Singer got. If the Return to Krypton scene looks comparatively sharper it's because it's been freshly encoded, unlike the bit-starved HD DVD encode of the main movie which has been wheeled out by Warners for years.
The fresh encode does not just have a higher encode, its considerably brighter and crisper, like a downscaled 4K scan. And the colours are much richer unlike the dull grey, yellow overlays throughout the Blu Ray. Look at these official images and their timing -

* Images from the original master before de-noising and cropping -

8.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

The master shots look far superior by my tastes at least, and these colours, rather than the ridiculously dull tones of the Blu Ray, resemble the colour timing of the Donner Superman films. They also match the Return to Krypton sequence. I'd say the Blu ray colours are wrong, just like the colours of the Jurassic Park trilogy (2D), Terminator 2, is wrong on Blu ray too.

Last edited by Riddhi2011; Yesterday at 07:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #4008
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddhi2011 View Post
The master shots look far superior by my tastes at least, and these colours, rather than the ridiculously dull tones of the Blu Ray, resemble the colour timing of the Donner Superman films. They also match the Return to Krypton sequence. I'd say the Blu ray colours are wrong, just like the colours of the Jurassic Park trilogy (2D), Terminator 2, is wrong on Blu ray too.
Except JP & T2 were fresh film transfers, where SR is a downconvert of a digital IP (which has the color correction "baked in").

Warner just has to re-encode it for Blu-ray in AVC plus a healthy bitrate and it should look a heck of a lot better. The restored opening sequence is a taste of that.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #4009
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Except JP & T2 were fresh film transfers, where SR is a downconvert of a digital IP (which has the color correction "baked in").

Warner just has to re-encode it for Blu-ray in AVC plus a healthy bitrate and it should look a heck of a lot better. The restored opening sequence is a taste of that.
JP and T2 were nothing but the masters made for DVD, then put onto blu ray with altered cooler color temperature. Jurassic Park has since received a fresh 4K scan, but with too much cropping from the original framing. T2 has yet to receive even a 2K scan from the negative with proper colour timing of the 1991 35mm release.

T2 35mm frame -

T2_35mm gunfire wide.jpg

Notice that the blue in the frame is of a different tone than the blue in the Bluray disc. This is because most photochemically timed prints had a warmer finish regardless of the colour. Whereas, masters meant for the dvds and HDTV broadcasts were "cooler" for some unknown reason.

Last edited by Riddhi2011; Yesterday at 09:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #4010
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddhi2011 View Post
Superman Returns should be released with a proper remaster and colour corrected. I attempted my own version on photoshop -
Sorry, that doesn't look great and without filmmaker intent it's just arbitrary.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM   #4011
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

I think part of the issue is in the master itself - as well as the encoding.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #4012

Sep 2014

Quote:
That could be, although I have the 1990 widescreen laserdisc, which is properly encoded with Dolby Surround, with very little dialogue leak into the surrounds. So either they pulled it from an earlier LD, or somewhere in the exporting and importing and mastering, the matrix information got lost.

Sort of like with Scream Factory's Halloween II, it seems like someone just goofed up in the preparation of the track, and no one caught it.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
superman