Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Outlander: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Pokémon: The Movies 1-3 Collection: Pokémon: The First Movie / Pokémon: The Movie 2000 / Pokémon 3: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Flash: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$37.99
The Legend of Tarzan 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #7401
morningtoke morningtoke is online now
Special Member
 
morningtoke's Avatar
 
Apr 2015
343
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu31 View Post
Same with my Best Buy. They have about a half dozen sitting in the horror section since last year. Doesn't seem like a hot item.
That's not really the case. The planogram changes about every 4 months, and the last movie reset that most stores had included a lot of horror titles... including the digibook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:17 AM   #7402
Nosferatu31 Nosferatu31 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2015
Default

If it does get a 4k scan the perfect time to do it would be in two years for the 40th anniversary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 AM   #7403
Nosferatu31 Nosferatu31 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningtoke View Post
That's not really the case. The planogram changes about every 4 months, and the last movie reset that most stores had included a lot of horror titles... including the digibook.
That may be the case but the ones at my local BB are the same ones that were there since last year. The markings on the packaging prove it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:33 AM   #7404
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Wasn't the 2013 scan in 4K for Halloween? It's like the third time that film was scanned in the last 15 years, so it would be weird if they didn't go all out for it.
There's never been any evidence that it's 4K. I've researched it pretty hard. I have read interviews from Dean Cundey on how they went back to the original film elements and nothing 4K was ever stated. The page inside the digibook calls it an "HD" transfer which suggests 1080p/2K and surely they would have advertised this as 4K. Anchor Bay is also a relatively small studio and 4K transfers were considerably more expensive 3-4 years ago compared to today and they weren't likely to spend that kind of money.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #7405
L'armée des ombres L'armée des ombres is offline
Contributor
 
L'armée des ombres's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away
917
173
12
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
There's never been any evidence that it's 4K. I've researched it pretty hard. I have read interviews from Dean Cundey on how they went back to the original film elements and nothing 4K was ever stated. The page inside the digibook calls it an "HD" transfer which suggests 1080p/2K and surely they would have advertised this as 4K. Anchor Bay is also a relatively small studio and 4K transfers were considerably more expensive 3-4 years ago compared to today and they weren't likely to spend that kind of money.
Yeah...they would have gone "wild" letting us know if it had received a 4K transfer
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (01-21-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #7406
Martoto Martoto is offline
Active Member
 
Martoto's Avatar
 
Mar 2014
Glasgow
4
Default

Wasn't the recent new cinema release, at the same time as the 35th Anniversary blu-ray, advertised as 4K?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #7407
returnofthemack returnofthemack is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
returnofthemack's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Ohio
572
426
79
Default

If it's not 4K then it's one of the best 1080 transfers I've seen. The PQ is amazing on this release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #7408
Martoto Martoto is offline
Active Member
 
Martoto's Avatar
 
Mar 2014
Glasgow
4
Default

I watched Dressed To Kill the other night. It's a 2K transfer and it's got nothing on Halloween.

If Halloween is 2K, then it's the best I've seen. I can't detect any egregious "sharpening" or "enhancement" at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:28 AM   #7409
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1109
256
42
Default

Guys, a good modern 2k scan of 35mm is pretty comparable to a 4k one. Often the only difference is some resolved grain. Also Dressed to Kill looks amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #7410
Martoto Martoto is offline
Active Member
 
Martoto's Avatar
 
Mar 2014
Glasgow
4
Default

Nothing wrong with Dressed To Kill but in terms of improvement over previous versions of the same film, Halloween is head and shoulders above it, in my opinion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:39 AM   #7411
HeavyHitter HeavyHitter is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
HeavyHitter's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Guys, a good modern 2k scan of 35mm is pretty comparable to a 4k one. Often the only difference is some resolved grain. Also Dressed to Kill looks amazing.
John Schuermann work consults for Panamorphic (anamorphic lens maker for front projection) discussed over at AVS not too long ago how most 35 mm films did not benefit from 4K scanning based on testing that was involved. Some did, but most did not. Indeed, the higher quality, newer scanners and particular film elements used are most key.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #7412
Geoff D Geoff D is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1025
3
9
Default

As long as the film to video transfer has got some >2K oversampling going on (even if it's 'just' 3K as with the ARRISCAN) then a 2K end product can still have that 4K 'look' that other such movies have on HD Blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #7413
JohnCarpenterFan JohnCarpenterFan is offline
Expert Member
 
JohnCarpenterFan's Avatar
 
Jun 2015
295
Default

Tip: If your TV's default for 'color' is 50, increase it to 65. On my set, this fixes the issues with desaturation that are present throughout the whole film and brings it much closer to the original look according to 35mm prints.

Much better than these fan "corrections" I've seen where the blacks are crushed, whites are blown out and the greens have been changed to brown because they're used to the earlier revisionist master where they changed the green leaves to brown to give it more of that fall feel since it was actually shot in California during springtime. You may notice brown leaves on the ground, but they were painted and scattered around. This should be common knowledge to any Halloween fan.

Such an easy fix, don't trust these "original color" fan versions with contrast issues, improper greens and even teal in night scenes.

Last edited by JohnCarpenterFan; 07-26-2016 at 05:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Martoto (07-28-2016), tommynorcal (07-28-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #7414
crutzulee crutzulee is offline
Active Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
Tip: If your TV's default for 'color' is 50, increase it to 65. On my set, this fixes the issues with desaturation that are present throughout the whole film and brings it much closer to the original look according to 35mm prints.

Much better than these fan "corrections" I've seen where the blacks are crushed, whites are blown out and the greens have been changed to brown because they're used to the earlier revisionist master where they changed the green leaves to brown to give it more of that fall feel since it was actually shot in California during springtime. You may notice brown leaves on the ground, but they were painted and scattered around. This should be common knowledge to any Halloween fan.

Such an easy fix, don't trust these "original color" fan versions with contrast issues, improper greens and even teal in night scenes.
Also, be sure to turn your amp up to 11 to cure the revisionist audio on this release..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #7415
Martoto Martoto is offline
Active Member
 
Martoto's Avatar
 
Mar 2014
Glasgow
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
Tip: If your TV's default for 'color' is 50, increase it to 65. On my set, this fixes the issues with desaturation that are present throughout the whole film and brings it much closer to the original look according to 35mm prints.

Much better than these fan "corrections" I've seen where the blacks are crushed, whites are blown out and the greens have been changed to brown because they're used to the earlier revisionist master where they changed the green leaves to brown to give it more of that fall feel since it was actually shot in California during springtime. You may notice brown leaves on the ground, but they were painted and scattered around. This should be common knowledge to any Halloween fan.

Such an easy fix, don't trust these "original color" fan versions with contrast issues, improper greens and even teal in night scenes.


I've noticed that the screenshot of Laurie on the Doyle house porch has been removed from Original Trilogy.com. The one that had turned the previous yellow/white porch light bulb to a blown out aquamarine, all for the sake of adding a deeper blue tint like the guys who did the THX version did. Instead of allowing Cundey's blue gels to illuminate them which we can now see properly in the 35th Anniversary BD.

Last edited by Martoto; 07-28-2016 at 11:29 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #7416
bobbyh64 bobbyh64 is online now
Active Member
 
bobbyh64's Avatar
 
Apr 2016
Default

I almost bought the 35th anniversary Blu-ray until I read on here that the only version that includes the actual original mono mix is the one from the boxset. Why didn't they include it on the stand-alone Blu-ray? Was it a mistake? I want this BD but I'd like to have the mono mix! Does the UK Steelbook have the true mono?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #7417
bigdaddyhorse bigdaddyhorse is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
SE MI.
714
1140
4
73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
I almost bought the 35th anniversary Blu-ray until I read on here that the only version that includes the actual original mono mix is the one from the boxset. Why didn't they include it on the stand-alone Blu-ray? Was it a mistake? I want this BD but I'd like to have the mono mix! Does the UK Steelbook have the true mono?
Cuz the boxset came about after. So they fixed the audio, but kept it exclusive to the box.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #7418
BNex99 BNex99 is offline
Expert Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
I almost bought the 35th anniversary Blu-ray until I read on here that the only version that includes the actual original mono mix is the one from the boxset. Why didn't they include it on the stand-alone Blu-ray? Was it a mistake? I want this BD but I'd like to have the mono mix! Does the UK Steelbook have the true mono?
The 2007 BD also has the original mono, albeit as a Dolby Digital track.

As for the 35th anniversary, it was probably a mistake (the back cover specifically denotes "Original Mono"), but since they obviously realized it, it would have been nice if they'd corrected it on the standalone release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #7419
bobbyh64 bobbyh64 is online now
Active Member
 
bobbyh64's Avatar
 
Apr 2016
Default

Then shouldn't they allow people to trade in their fake-mono BD for the one that's included in the boxset?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #7420
SeaFox SeaFox is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
SeaFox's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.
128
62
6
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
Then shouldn't they allow people to trade in their fake-mono BD for the one that's included in the boxset?
That would require them to admit their mistakes.
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD
_____________________________________________

Girls With Guns: "I really dig the chick with the knife - waifu material for sure!"
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 PM.