Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
The Hurricane (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.97
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$53.73
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Pitfall (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
$19.82
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Witness (Blu-ray)
$9.69
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 08-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #261
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

I love Toy Story 3, and think its a great film, but Kevinicus does have a point, and it is very similar to the second film, both thematically and in terms of story structure. They both deal with the concept of children outgrowing their toys, and specifically the toys (especially Woody) coming to terms with Andy outgrowing them.

The story structure is quite similar too: the toys (Woody in 2, Andy's other toys in 3) end up somewhere where they are convinced by a mentor-like figure (the Prospector in 2, Lotso in 3) that they can continually have purpose without the fear of being outgrown (the museum in Tokyo in 2, the pre-school in 3), but then it turns out that the mentor-like figure is a villainous character with a tragic past that is only concerned with his own self interest. At the end, the toys come to terms with the fact that Andy will outgrow them. The major difference, of course, is that Toy Story 3 takes that one step further, where the toys are lovingly passed on to a new owner, giving the series a bittersweet sense of finality.

I guess you can more or less say that 3 is an extension of 2, but some aspects do make it seem like somewhat of a retread.

I'm not sure I agree that the original Toy Story is quite so similar though. While it does share the element of having the toys separated from their owners and having to find their way back home, that's really where the similarities end. What I really like about the original is that Buzz is actually a secondary protagonist in the film, unlike the other two, where he is very clearly more of a glorified supporting character. Woody has his own storyline about dealing with feelings of jealousy and coming to terms with Andy having a new favorite toy, while Buzz has a very well-developed arc about coming to terms that he is not what he thought he was, and that he is, in fact, a toy.

EDIT: lol, I totally thought I was in the Toy Story 4 thread...
Old 08-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #262
Suspended

Aug 2014
Scarborough

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
I love Toy Story 3, and think its a great film, but Kevinicus does have a point, and it is very similar to the second film, both thematically and in terms of story structure. They both deal with the concept of children outgrowing their toys, and specifically the toys (especially Woody) coming to terms with Andy outgrowing them.

The story structure is quite similar too: the toys (Woody in 2, Andy's other toys in 3) end up somewhere where they are convinced by a mentor-like figure (the Prospector in 2, Lotso in 3) that they can continually have purpose without the fear of being outgrown (the museum in Tokyo in 2, the pre-school in 3), but then it turns out that the mentor-like figure is a villainous character with a tragic past that is only concerned with his own self interest. At the end, the toys come to terms with the fact that Andy will outgrow them. The major difference, of course, is that Toy Story 3 takes that one step further, where the toys are lovingly passed on to a new owner, giving the series a bittersweet sense of finality.

I guess you can more or less say that 3 is an extension of 2, but some aspects do make it seem like somewhat of a retread.

I'm not sure I agree that the original Toy Story is quite so similar though. While it does share the element of having the toys separated from their owners and having to find their way back home, that's really where the similarities end. What I really like about the original is that Buzz is actually a secondary protagonist in the film, unlike the other two, where he is very clearly more of a glorified supporting character. Woody has his own storyline about dealing with feelings of jealousy and coming to terms with Andy having a new favorite toy, while Buzz has a very well-developed arc about coming to terms that he is not what he thought he was, and that he is, in fact, a toy.

EDIT: lol, I totally thought I was in the Toy Story 4 thread...
It is the Toy Story 4 thread. It's just called Finding Dory to mess with your mind.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies