Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$154.49
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #81
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
all the other versions (bds) are the cropped 2:1 versions.
ONLY the Japanese bd is the original, correct aspect ratio.
Criterion usually does their own transfer tweaking so the German bd is probably not exactly the same, but most likely very similar.
That is correct. There are also two different JP versions: Theatrical and Extended. See below:

Last Emperor, The
US - AVC 23010 kbps 2.00:1, DTS-HD MA 2.0 1908 kbps 24-bit, BD50 (Region A) (Theatrical)
UK - AVC 19000 kbps 2.00:1, LPCM 2.0 2304 kbps 24-bit, BD50 (Region B) (Theatrical)
JP - AVC 24992 kbps 2.35:1, DTS-HD MA 5.1 1816 kbp 16-bit, BD50, no eng subs (Theatrical)
JP - AVC 21987 kbps 2.35:1, DTS-HD MA 5.1 2013 kbps 16-bit, BD50, no eng subs (Extended @ 219 min)
IT - VC-1 27000 kbps 2.00:1, DTS-HD HR 5.1 3840 kbps 16-bit, BD50, no eng subs (Theatrical)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #82
James Luckard James Luckard is offline
Power Member
 
James Luckard's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA
425
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
That is correct. There are also two different JP versions: Theatrical and Extended. See below:

Last Emperor, The
US - AVC 23010 kbps 2.00:1, DTS-HD MA 2.0 1908 kbps 24-bit, BD50 (Region A) (Theatrical)
UK - AVC 19000 kbps 2.00:1, LPCM 2.0 2304 kbps 24-bit, BD50 (Region B) (Theatrical)
JP - AVC 24992 kbps 2.35:1, DTS-HD MA 5.1 1816 kbp 16-bit, BD50, no eng subs (Theatrical)
JP - AVC 21987 kbps 2.35:1, DTS-HD MA 5.1 2013 kbps 16-bit, BD50, no eng subs (Extended @ 219 min)
IT - VC-1 27000 kbps 2.00:1, DTS-HD HR 5.1 3840 kbps 16-bit, BD50, no eng subs (Theatrical)
True, but both of those cuts of the film are contained in the same BD set from Japan, which has 3 discs for the 2 cuts and the extras.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #83
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
True, but both of those cuts of the film are contained in the same BD set from Japan, which has 3 discs for the 2 cuts and the extras.
Thanks for that. I was not aware.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #84
billyearle billyearle is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan
1576
237
5
Default

Cool, from what I read in the last couple of pages here, I will be ordering the Japanese set. I haven't seen the film since it came out so I honestly can't remember, was there any dialogue in the film NOT in English? That was my only worry about buying Japanese as it wont have English subs, but since the owner didn't mention it, I will take my chances that it's ALL in English.
I will try to wait a few days to see if someone can confirm this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #85
thebard thebard is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2010
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
Cool, from what I read in the last couple of pages here, I will be ordering the Japanese set. I haven't seen the film since it came out so I honestly can't remember, was there any dialogue in the film NOT in English? That was my only worry about buying Japanese as it wont have English subs, but since the owner didn't mention it, I will take my chances that it's ALL in English.
I will try to wait a few days to see if someone can confirm this.
The feature has all English dialogue, so English subs are not needed.

The extras in the Japanese set are a different story, some foreign language with only Japanese subs, if that matters to you.

More info in the Asian release forum:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....t=last+emperor

Last edited by thebard; 08-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #86
billyearle billyearle is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan
1576
237
5
Default

Thanks so much! will be getting this very soon. Extras are secondary, but too bad about lack of subs there. Still, having any usable extras on foreign discs is always an unexpected plus. Does anyone care for the Criterion as an alternative? Of course I prefer original aspect ratio, but since I only have a 42" TV (and sit very close to compensate with low backlight) I could see enjoying the larger image on the Critereon version, but only as a secondary version.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #87
thebard thebard is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2010
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
Thanks so much! will be getting this very soon. Extras are secondary, but too bad about lack of subs there. Still, having any usable extras on foreign discs is always an unexpected plus. Does anyone care for the Criterion as an alternative? Of course I prefer original aspect ratio, but since I only have a 42" TV (and sit very close to compensate with low backlight) I could see enjoying the larger image on the Critereon version, but only as a secondary version.
I have the Criterion disc as well, but pretty much only for the extras. You've probably read my earlier comments, but honestly I prefer the import on may levels. In addition to the AR issue, the Criterion exhibits some gate weave and smearing.

On the plus side, the Criterion has no edge enhancement or digital artifacts, which are (minimally) present on the import. The color timing may also be more accurate, as the reds stand out more, but that's speculation on my part as I don't have a recent theatrical viewing as a reference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #88
Canada Canada is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Canada's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Victoria, BC
17
387
11
39
Default

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...D=1509#auswahl
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #89
James Luckard James Luckard is offline
Power Member
 
James Luckard's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA
425
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
The German BD and the Criterion compared there are both cropped to 2.0:1 though.

Here's a link to compare the Criterion to the widescreen Japanese disc:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...mage=0#auswahl

I will add though that I don't think the frames are particularly well chosen, they chose all frames where the focus of the shot is towards the center so the cropping doesn't ruin the composition as much. There are plenty of shots, not represented there, with people and things closer to the edges, which look dreadful in the 2.0:1 cropped version.

However the shot of the people all lined up, with the doctor in the middle, shows how the American disc is more contrasty, covering up the digital noise that's more pronounced in the dark areas of the Japanese disc, which aren't as dark black as on the American disc.

Last edited by James Luckard; 08-17-2013 at 02:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #90
thebard thebard is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2010
1
Default

Thanks for those, James.

Skin tones in screenshot #3 demonstrate the greenish-push the import has, which might indicate that the Criterion is closer to the intended color timing. The flag in screenshot #9 also shows more detail on the Criterion.

But in motion I still prefer the Geneon. It's crisper (and more stable) than these shots would indicate, and yes, the aspect ratio... it makes a difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #91
ArnoldLayne56 ArnoldLayne56 is offline
Active Member
 
ArnoldLayne56's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Silicon Valley
37
588
110
2
Default Amazon sale

This Blu-ray will be an Amazon deal at @12:20 am PST tonight...
================================
Sony BDP-S790
Epson 8350 projector
Visual Apex 120" fixed- frame screen
Denon AVR-3313CI receiver
Aperion Intimus 632-LR, No center!,
Aperion 4BP surrounds, 4B back surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD subwoof-woof
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #92
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101
29
1505
167
131
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne56 View Post
This Blu-ray will be an Amazon deal at @12:20 am PST tonight...
I might stay up until 2:20 CST if it was the Japanese BD.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Last Emperor Australia AnimeOnBlu 10 01-03-2014 08:38 AM
Cyberlink will not play BD-LIVE on "The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" BLU-RAY Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software HDTV1080P 0 12-26-2008 07:01 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.