Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$95.24
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I have no idea what this means, but if you're talking about the quality of the transfers themselves, Manchurian Candidate looks quite good, and Guys and Dolls is superb. Pal Joey is a bit soft, but that's to be expected given the source material. I haven't seen Come Blow Your Horn, but it received a positive review here.
He wasn't talking about Sinatra's movies -- he was referring to his live concert performances:
Quote:
I would like to see classic concert footage from Mr. Sinatra on Blu-ray, though I am not sure any of his performances were preserved in great quality.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieray1 View Post
He wasn't talking about Sinatra's movies -- he was referring to his live concert performances:
That makes sense, although ehuvessesl's post was just a fragment (or even spam, as it simply copied a section of Clark Kent's post, which I must have skipped over).

Edit: as it was (and is) ehuvessesl's only post, I'm guessing it was spam.

Last edited by NoirFan; 12-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Albany, NY

So which one to buy, which one to buy???
Blu-Ray Wish List: The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Out of the Past (1947), High Sierra (1941), Kill Baby... Kill! (1966), Dodsworth (1936), His Girl Friday (1940), Roman Holiday (1953), A Matter of Life and Death (1946), Fingers (1977), Twisted Nerve (1968), Knife In The Water (1962), Arabesque (1966), Blood Link (1982), The Inspector Betti Trilogy (75'-76'), Amuck (1972), Nightmare at Shadow Woods (1987), Mirage (1965), Waking The Dead (2000).
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #24

Dec 2009
South Jersey

yeah, it would have been nice if the guy that reviewed the image version, had gotten his hands on the film chest version so he could compare the two. I don't know why he didn't. It would seem an obvious no-brainer that people would want to know which version was better.
My Mission Statement: Be a good person. Be fair, just and honorable. Follow the golden rule. Show Love, respect and mercy.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
yeah, it would have been nice if the guy that reviewed the image version, had gotten his hands on the film chest version so he could compare the two. I don't know why he didn't. It would seem an obvious no-brainer that people would want to know which version was better.
The DVD Beaver review linked earlier compares all of the versions.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

verdict in, I would say the Image version is better, the contrast seems a bit dark, but this is the best I have seen the film, hand down.

I also have the cheaper Film Chest Version and while it is the best blu Film Chest has pressed, the Image trumps that one, as the FC version has some strange herky-jerky shots in the very opening seconds of the film, but the contrast is brighter.

as a huge fan of the film, I'm happy owning BOTH versions, as you get three diff audio commentaries (two on the Image, the one with Drew Casper is a MUST listen for film buffs, and one with Frank Sinatra Jr.), the one on FC version is a bit of a snoozefest, as there are too many empty pauses on it)
The image has cool short film included as well
Old 12-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #27
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

Well it only took two months (and then some) for me to get a screener, but the HD Cinema Classics version review is live:

Suddenly Blu-ray Review
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
the FC version has some strange herky-jerky shots in the very opening seconds of the film,
I didn't experience that at all.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Well it only took two months (and then some) for me to get a screener, but the HD Cinema Classics version review is live:

Suddenly Blu-ray Review
did you notice the herky jerky frames in the beginning of the Film Chest Disc?, it's not present n gthe Image disc, still I love having both versions in my collection!

hopefully The Man With The Golden Arm will eventually get a blu release
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #30
Blu-ray reviewer

Aug 2009
-

See above .
Old 12-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I have been eager to see the 1954 suspense thriller, Suddenly, for a while now, because of the talent of all involved. Two other films from director Lewis Allen, Appointment with Danger and The Uninvited, are both esteemed additions to my Blu-ray collection. Actor Sterling Hayden's track record with film noir, by way of movies like The Asphalt Jungle and The Killing, is quite brilliant, even if he is best remembered for his role in Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather. When most people think of Suddenly, however, the first person who comes to mind is none other than the entertainer Frank Sinatra, who is explosively riveting in his role as a remorselessly volatile villain.

When Frank Sinatra's John Baron and his two henchmen take a family hostage for the purpose of using their home as a vantage point to assassinate the President of the United States, Sterling Hayden's Sheriff Tod Shaw is placed in the position of weighing the safety of the family against the protection of the intended target. Suddenly delves into film noir conventions with its examination of traumatized World War II veterans struggling to make their way in the new dynamics of America, and the movie also shares controversial insights about pacifism in the face of danger, but it is first and foremost a taut crime drama that mostly takes place in the small confines of a house living room setting. I was reminded of the hotel room interactions in Delmer Daves's 3:10 to Yuma, although Sinatra's villain lacks the redeemable qualities of Glenn Ford's character from the Daves film. The film is dialogue-heavy, thanks in large part to the arrogantly loquacious nature of Sinatra's sociopath character, but the story also delivers on the action front with scenes of explosive violence that are still intense today. At 77 minutes, Suddenly hits and runs without overstaying its welcome.

This Image Entertainment Blu-ray graces us with a great-looking transfer of this film that went into public domain years ago. Other than some obvious missing frames during one particular moment, I cannot fault the picture quality here at all. The movie sounds good in this audio presentation, and the reliance of background sounds outside the main setting of the house benefits from the clarity. We get two commentary tracks on this Blu-ray, one from Frank Sinatra, Jr. that discusses his father's work in detail, and one from Dr. Drew Casper, who talks about the place of Suddenly in the film noir genre and its historical relevance. N.Y., N.Y.: A Day in New York, a visually spectacular 1957 short film by Francis Thompson is a interesting addition to the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America