Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Girlfriend Experience: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 07-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #2721
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Authoring software. Cheaper/faster.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 AM   #2722
Special Member

Oct 2008

Maybe it's just my theatre, but for me Auro continues to be a bust... saw Ghostbusters in Auro 11.1 and for the life of me I could not tell if the height speakers were used at all. I really wish there were an Atmos option somewhere nearby :/
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (08-03-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #2723

Mar 2012
5.1 St. and H.D. Blvd.

I'm going to jump into this conversation and start off saying Atmos sucks.
J/K I have to say that all the films that I've seen theatrically have been very loud and I really only noticed it in some parts of whatever said film I watched. I do really believed there are a lot of missed opportunities so far but hopefully that will change soon.
One other thing is that the one movie that did impress me with a scene in atmos was Taken 3 when Liam Neeson is in the underground sewer system(the rabbit hole) and the sound of the water dripping, and the wind in the tunnel as well as other nuances was very good. Has anyone experienced or at best heard anything else about dts:x?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #2724
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Thinking of upgrading to Atmos, but can I make it work in a living room with a 14 ft vaulted ceiling? I have a ledge above where my projector is, could I place the above speakers up there? I don't want to put speakers on the ceiling as I don't think the wife will like it. Any advice will ne appreciated.

Optoma HD 25e Projector with 100" Manual Screen
Onkyo TX-NR555 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
Polk Audio CS1 Center & M20's FR & FL
JBL Speakers SURROUNDS
Insignia Ceiling

Last Watched: Live Free Or Die Hard
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #2725
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsfan1975 View Post
Thinking of upgrading to Atmos, but can I make it work in a living room with a 14 ft vaulted ceiling? I have a ledge above where my projector is, could I place the above speakers up there? I don't want to put speakers on the ceiling as I don't think the wife will like it. Any advice will be appreciated.

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

The upper layer would, in effect, be Height speakers, which are permissible in the Dolby Atmos and DTS: X specs (second best next to Top Front and Top Rear, which are the best upper locations on or in the ceiling). Both the Front and Rear Height speakers need to be aimed toward the main listening position. Adjustable wall mounts would be helpful.

I recommend that your couch be moved away from the wall for better audio reproduction quality.

Depending on the depth and width of your room you can choose 5.1.4, 7.1.4, or 5.1.4 + Front Wides processing (the latter configuration is available using 7.1.4 capable Denon or Marantz receivers or pre-amps).
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #2726
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
The upper layer would, in effect, be Height speakers, which are permissible in the Dolby Atmos and DTS: X specs (second best next to Top Front and Top Rear, which are the best upper locations on or in the ceiling). Both the Front and Rear Height speakers need to be aimed toward the main listening position. Adjustable wall mounts would be helpful.

I recommend that your couch be moved away from the wall for better audio reproduction quality.

Depending on the depth and width of your room you can choose 5.1.4, 7.1.4, or 5.1.4 + Front Wides processing (the latter configuration is available using 7.1.4 capable Denon or Marantz receivers or pre-amps).
Thanks for the feedback. I don't really have the option of moving the couch forward. Is the 14 ft ceiling too high if I were to fix 2 rear satellite speakers pointing down to the listening area? Everything I read seems to deal with flat ceilings.
Onkyo TX-NR555 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
JBL Speakers SURROUNDS
Insignia Ceiling

Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #2727
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't really have the option of moving the couch forward. Is the 14 ft ceiling too high if I were to fix 2 rear satellite speakers pointing down to the listening area? Everything I read seems to deal with flat ceilings.

If you placed the heights between 8-10 feet up and lowered your main surrounds to just above seated head height (so there is no sound blockage due to somebody's head getting in the way) that would give you better separation and a greater sensation of 3D spatial audio positioning.

Four Heights/Overheads (front and rear) are better than two. That allows for a greater range of panning of audio objects.

Of course, if you had the money for a Steinway or Trinnov processor, you would have many more speaker locations to choose from.

Consumer Dolby Atmos allows for, currently, 34.1 surround rendering and may get a bump to 62.2 rendering (just like like the theatrical version) soon. Thanks to metadata infused objects, the system is scaleable. DTS is currently trying to play catch up with their DTS: X immersive format.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:15 AM   #2728
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Quote:
If you placed the heights between 8-10 feet up and lowered your main surrounds to just above seated head height (so there is no sound blockage due to somebody's head getting in the way) that would give you better separation and a greater sensation of 3D spatial audio positioning.

Four Heights/Overheads (front and rear) are better than two. That allows for a greater range of panning of audio objects.

Of course, if you had the money for a Steinway or Trinnov processor, you would have many more speaker locations to choose from.

Consumer Dolby Atmos allows for, currently, 34.1 surround rendering and may get a bump to 62.2 rendering (just like like the theatrical version) soon. Thanks to metadata infused objects, the system is scaleable. DTS is currently trying to play catch up with their DTS: X immersive format.
I've also read about an option to place additional high front speakers say to the left and right of where my screen housing is. Would this be an Atmos option? Would this create an immersive sound field?

Onkyo TX-NR555 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
JBL Speakers SURROUNDS
Insignia Ceiling

Old 08-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #2729
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
I've also read about an option to place additional high front speakers say to the left and right of where my screen housing is. Would this be an Atmos option? Would this create an immersive sound field?

[Show spoiler]
If the front left and right screen wall speakers are situated greater than 30 degrees from the main listening position, there have been recommendations of having the heights or overheads on the inside of those locations rather than just directly above and in-line with those front speakers.

If that's the case the front heights would sit in front of the screen housing, but above the screen proper.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 08-03-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:20 AM   #2730
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Thinking of upgrading to Atmos, but can I make it work in a living room with a 14 ft vaulted ceiling? I have a ledge above where my projector is, could I place the above speakers up there? I don't want to put speakers on the ceiling as I don't think the wife will like it. Any advice will ne appreciated.

[Show spoiler]

Quote:
[Show spoiler]The upper layer would, in effect, be Height speakers, which are permissible in the Dolby Atmos and DTS: X specs (second best next to Top Front and Top Rear, which are the best upper locations on or in the ceiling).
Both the Front and Rear Height speakers need to be aimed toward the main listening position. Adjustable wall mounts would be helpful.

Something along the line of these would work:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3012

NO, 14 feet isn't too much.
Atmos is well worth it!
Kind words cost nothing.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #2731
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:

That pic reminds me of why I got rid of my screen
Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #2732
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
That pic reminds me of why I got rid of my screen
The wrinkles? I think my next screen will be tab tensioned.
Onkyo TX-NR555 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
JBL Speakers SURROUNDS
Insignia Ceiling

Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #2733
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Yes, the wrinkles. Can't stand them. Plain wall for me.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #2734
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Quote:
Yes, the wrinkles. Can't stand them. Plain wall for me.
Funny, I started off with a plain wall but then had to get a screen as the wife wanted to hang pics on the wall.
Onkyo TX-NR555 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
JBL Speakers SURROUNDS
Insignia Ceiling

Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #2735
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Funny, I started off with a plain wall but then had to get a screen as the wife wanted to hang pics on the wall.
I gave all rights to every wall in the house to wife...except for THAT wall
Old 08-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #2736
Power Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Quote:
I gave all rights to every wall in the house to wife...except for THAT wall
That worked for me for a while.......but in the end she took that one too!

I guess at this time as far as speakers go, I can try the Pioneer add on that sit on top of the front left and right speakers and point up at an angle. But this setup is not designed for vaulted ceilings that I have. Or I found some small white JBL speakers that I can put on the ceiling about 12 ft above sitting position. At least them being white they will be hid somewhat from eyesight.
Onkyo TX-NR555 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
JBL Speakers SURROUNDS
Insignia Ceiling

Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #2737
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
My 92" is pulldown, but I leave it there, so have no wrinkles. I never thought about that and am glad I'm aware of it now.
If I can, I'd like to get a 96" or squeeze a 100" if I can. Now that you mention tab mentioned, I may do that.
Thank you!
Kind words cost nothing.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #2738
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

A little off topic, but I just ordered a new Sony VPL 45 and since I cant ceiling mount in this property, I was thinking of using this shelf available on Amazon for just $30...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #2739

Apr 2016
Great Mills, MD

Motorized tab tension was only "must have" on wife's list

Sent from a Verizon Wireless LG V10
Dolby Atmos 7.2.4: Infinity SM-125 (FL, FR); Infinity SM-Video (FC); Infinity SM-82 (SSL, SSR, RSL, RSR); Velodyne F-1200 (SW-1, SW-2); B&W CCM-362 (TFL, TFR, TRL, TRR)
Denon AVR-X6200W (7.2); Yamaha RX-V659 (.4 amp via multi-channel inputs)
Sony VPL-HW40ES; Screen innovations 5 Series 110" Motorized Flush Mount Slate 0.8; Sony KDS-60A2000
Oppo BDP-103; Sony DVP-NC85H (5 CD/DVD Carousel); Pioneer CLD-S201 (LaserDisc); DirecTV Genie HD DVR
Logitech Harmony 900
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #2740
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
A little off topic, but I just ordered a new Sony VPL 45 and since I cant ceiling mount in this property, I was thinking of using this shelf available on Amazon for just $30...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks good!
Make sure it'll handle the weight before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpaholic View Post
Motorized tab tension was only "must have" on wife's list
[Show spoiler]

Awesome!

Sent from a Verizon Wireless LG V10
Kind words cost nothing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion