COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Coraline (Blu-ray)
$19.70
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.45
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Race to Witch Mountain (Blu-ray)
$8.99
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lincoln (Blu-ray)
$15.61

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2011
Default Connecting Blu-ray Player to internet?

Hi, I have not connected my player internet till today. I was just wondering before I do, do I have to worry about virus threats like on computers. I just want to connect to access my Vudu content. Would it let me switch between Vudu and watching movie through Blu-ray disc or will I need to disconnect from internet to do that?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21 View Post
Hi, I have not connected my player internet till today. I was just wondering before I do, do I have to worry about virus threats like on computers. I just want to connect to access my Vudu content. Would it let me switch between Vudu and watching movie through Blu-ray disc or will I need to disconnect from internet to do that?
BD players aren't subject to virus's/malware like a computer. You can switch from playing physical media (Blu-ray) and running a internet App such as Vudu client while the player is connected to your internet.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
BD players aren't subject to virus's/malware like a computer. You can switch from playing physical media (Blu-ray) and running a internet App such as Vudu client while the player is connected to your internet.
I agree and I have my TV,AVR,satellite HD box,and BDP all hooked into a Ethernet hub and connected with one Ethernet cable to my router.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Smart VIERA 3D HD Plasma,
Blu-ray Player:Panasonic DMP-BDT500,
Receiver:Pioneer Elite CS-57,
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Bell HD Satellite Desk top Receiver/PVR,
Remote:Harmony 650
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2011

Thanks for replies guys. I decided to buy Roku instead. With that I can stream Vudu as well as Amazon Instant.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Thanks for replies guys. I decided to buy Roku instead. With that I can stream Vudu as well as Amazon Instant.
Fyi some BD players already support both. For instance recent Sony BD models, Oppo players with Roku stick, etc. But whatever works for you.

BTW until very recently Roku's didn't have Vudu, it got added about two months ago.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2011

I just bought Roku Hd from amazon and should be arriving soon. I was wondering how exactly do I link Roku to my Vudu account. On Vudu.com, they say to add the channel from my channel store. But how to access my own account from there? I already have an account on Vudu and have a lot of UV movies that I would like to stream over there. How do I get that on there?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
I just bought Roku Hd from amazon and should be arriving soon. I was wondering how exactly do I link Roku to my Vudu account. On Vudu.com, they say to add the channel from my channel store. But how to access my own account from there? I already have an account on Vudu and have a lot of UV movies that I would like to stream over there. How do I get that on there?
Just enter Vudu channel on the Roku screen, highlight Free HD Rental and then press Enter.

Using the onscreen keyboard, enter your e-mail address. When you are done, use the bottom arrow button to select Done and then press Enter.

Enter your VUDU password and then, using the arrow buttons on your remote, highlight Done and press Enter.

Your VUDU account is now successfully registered on your Blu-ray Player and a $5.99 rental credit has been added to your account.

Thats basically the steps on most versions.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Just enter Vudu channel on the Roku screen, highlight Free HD Rental and then press Enter.

Using the onscreen keyboard, enter your e-mail address. When you are done, use the bottom arrow button to select Done and then press Enter.

Enter your VUDU password and then, using the arrow buttons on your remote, highlight Done and press Enter.

Your VUDU account is now successfully registered on your Blu-ray Player and a $5.99 rental credit has been added to your account.

Thats basically the steps on most versions.
Thank you. I'll try that once I get it and let you know. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprofishs View Post
yeah,Fyi some BD players already support both. For instance recent Sony BD models, Oppo players with Roku stick, etc. thank you
When I turn on my BD player I only see 4 services: Netflix, Youtube, Cinemnow, Vudu. Nothing else. I have amazon prime and I am tired of watching prime instant videos on my laptop. It is not fun. So, Roku should be a good alternative.

BTW I have AT&T U-Verse. Will Roku HD (one that is 59.99) connect wirelessly to that? All our laptops in our house connect easily.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #10

Dec 2012

yeah,i agree with you, I decided to buy Roku instead. With that I can stream Vudu as well as Amazon Instant.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders