Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Crimson Wing: Mystery of t… $10.99 (98% sold out)
Soon: Oceans ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
Thumbs up

Watched it tonight.

ANNA KARENINA (2012)

"You can't ask why about love."

In the very beginning I wasn't sure I was going to get into this film. The choice to have the majority of it set on the stage felt intrusive and distracting. But once you get used to this technique (and it does become less in-your-face as it goes on) it becomes rather easy to get swept away in the film's story and utterly breathtaking visuals. This is the most gorgeous looking film of 2012, possibly one of the most beautiful I've ever seen to be honest. From the cinematography to the sets and costumes, this is a real feast for the eyes.

Keira Knightley reunites with her Pride & Prejudice and Atonement director for yet another period film, but this may just be her best performance yet. She is superb as the title character. Anna is a flawed, tragic heroine, but despite some of her choices I was able to sympathize with her. I've heard criticism about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's performance as Count Vronsky, but I personally found him very charming and it wasn't difficult to see how Anna could fall for him. Jude Law is very good as Anna's husband.

Anna Karenina is a sexy and sweepingly romantic film. The unique and daring style may alienate some viewers, but I'd still recommend any fans of period films to give this a look. Or anyone who appreciates amazing cinematography and production design. I cannot stress enough what an astonishingly beautiful film this is. The groundbreaking technique elevates what could have been your standard, straight-forward period romance. Director Joe Wright has turned this into a fairly groundbreaking achievement.

9/10 (A)
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

It is certainly a beautiful film - the Oscar noms for costume design (which it won), cinematography and production design were all well deserved. The story reminded me a lot of another recent film, The Deep Blue Sea (which I suppose was inspired by Anna Karenina). I thought Rachel Weisz's performance in that was better than Keira Knightley's (not that Knighley was bad), although AK wins hands down when it comes to visuals.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
It is certainly a beautiful film - the Oscar noms for costume design (which it won), cinematography and production design were all well deserved. The story reminded me a lot of another recent film, The Deep Blue Sea (which I suppose was inspired by Anna Karenina). I thought Rachel Weisz's performance in that was better than Keira Knightley's (not that Knighley was bad), although AK wins hands down when it comes to visuals.
THE DEEP BLUE SEA is another on my list Ive been trying to see. Cant seem to rent it anywhere
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

The Deep Blue Sea can be streamed on Netflix if you have that option.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
THE DEEP BLUE SEA is another on my list Ive been trying to see. Cant seem to rent it anywhere
I know! Redbox doesn't have it, the video store here doesn't have it, Blockbuster Online doesn't have it. Thankfully my library does and I'm on a waiting list for it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeScott View Post
I know! Redbox doesn't have it, the video store here doesn't have it, Blockbuster Online doesn't have it. Thankfully my library does and I'm on a waiting list for it.
That's a good idea I'll call them tomorrow (my Public library).

I just hope they don't think I'm calling about the dumb shark movie
Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
That's a good idea I'll call them tomorrow (my Public library).

I just hope they don't think I'm calling about the dumb shark movie
LOL! Funny story. A friend of mine told me the Rachel Weisz movie was on TV already. They said Logo was showing it all of the time now. It had the same description as the recent film. Turned out it was the shark movie listed as the Rachel Weisz movie . They now have the correct info for it though.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
LOL! Funny story. A friend of mine told me the Rachel Weisz movie was on TV already. They said Logo was showing it all of the time now. It had the same description as the recent film. Turned out it was the shark movie listed as the Rachel Weisz movie . They now have the correct info for it though.
YUP! I set my DVR to record "Deep Blue Sea" on the LOGO channel last week. I go to watch it, and it was the shark movie.

But! I just called my library; THEY HAVE IT! They even confirmed by saying, "The drama with Rachel Weisz and Tom Hiddleston"

So I'm on my way to go pick it up.

I finally get to see The Deep Blue Sea (then I'll watch ANNA KARENINA)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #49
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Watched it tonight.

ANNA KARENINA (2012)

In the very beginning I wasn't sure I was going to get into this film. The choice to have the majority of it set on the stage felt intrusive and distracting. But once you get used to this technique (and it does become less in-your-face as it goes on) it becomes rather easy to get swept away in the film's story and utterly breathtaking visuals. This is the most gorgeous looking film of 2012, possibly one of the most beautiful I've ever seen to be honest. From the cinematography to the sets and costumes, this is a real feast for the eyes.

Keira Knightley reunites with her Pride & Prejudice and Atonement director for yet another period film, but this may just be her best performance yet. She is superb as the title character. Anna is a flawed, tragic heroine, but despite some of her choices I was able to sympathize with her. I've heard criticism about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's performance as Count Vronsky, but I personally found him very charming and it wasn't difficult to see how Anna could fall for him. Jude Law is very good as Anna's husband.

Anna Karenina is a sexy and sweepingly romantic film. The unique and daring style may alienate some viewers, but I'd still recommend any fans of period films to give this a look. Or anyone who appreciates amazing cinematography and production design. I cannot stress enough what an astonishingly beautiful film this is. The groundbreaking technique elevates what could have been your standard, straight-forward period romance. Director Joe Wright has turned this into a fairly groundbreaking achievement.

9/10 (A)
+1!

Excellent review...+++
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #50

Mar 2013
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Watched it tonight.

ANNA KARENINA (2012)

9/10 (A)

The staging aspect of the movie prohibited my total immersion in the story for the first several minutes, and I was definitely distracted until the allegorical significance revealed itself to me. The device tends to keep the story at arm's length the whole time, but also makes it immensely interesting - especially considering the moments at which the device is abandoned as some of the previous posts have pointed out.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #51
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Completely agreed. This film was unlike anything i'd seen before and the performances were terrific. To me it was one of the best films of the year. It looks spectacular on Blu Ray and anyone who hasn't got a chance to see it, you're in for a treat.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
Just watched THE DEEP BLUE SEA, and it was interesting. Good all around. So now I look forward to cheggin' this ANNA out
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

just watched this. Really inspiring visuals. Great set and costumes.
I'd buy this blu-ray one day.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #54

Mar 2013

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how similar the storyline is to the 1935 version with Garbo?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by widegambler2012 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how similar the storyline is to the 1935 version with Garbo?
I havent seen that one =(
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #56
Banned

Mar 2011
Monks Corner, S.C

Gonna pick this up as a surprise for the wife
Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #57

Jul 2011
Woodbury, MN

I have a Digital Copy code (UV and iTunes) that I don't want. Wife has the blu but the chances of us watching the digital copy are slim to none (and slim just died) I will PM the code to the next person who posts. I'm not sure if it's expired or not though.
Sony 46" LED | Denon AVR1911
Mirage Nanosat 5.0 | Mirage Omni 8" Sub
Sony BDP-S5100 | AppleTV 1080p
Xbox 360 250GB | Logitech Harmony One

200th Bluray: Argo.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #58

Aug 2009
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperville10 View Post
I have a Digital Copy code (UV and iTunes) that I don't want. Wife has the blu but the chances of us watching the digital copy are slim to none (and slim just died) I will PM the code to the next person who posts. I'm not sure if it's expired or not though.
Thanks piperville10, I'm quite interested in seeing this.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America