Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Crimson Wing: Mystery of t… $10.99 (98% sold out)
Soon: Oceans ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #381
Power Member

May 2009

Ultimate Wave Tahiti is one of the best.
All 3D reviews should list the equipment it was viewed on.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #382
Special Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
No, that was Benedict Google of course. You guys !

Anyways, of the 3D IMAX docus I have Space Statio, Hubble and Deep Sea, all of which are eye popping. Just ordered Grand Canyon. Under the Sea seems difficult to get hold of. Any other ones on that level ? Not keen on the dinosaur ones, the CGI in them looks ropey.
I find the IMAX features by Warner to be very good. And I think they only have these four titles.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #383

Jul 2010

Warner Bros have six IMAX documentaries out:

Under The Sea 3D
Deep Sea 3D
Hubble 3D
Space Station 3D
Born To Be Wild 3D
To The Arctic 3D

I'm also really fond of "Legends of Flight" & "Ultimate Wave: Tahiti" for strong 3D effects.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #384
Expert Member

Nov 2008

I watched Grand Canyon Adventure the other day. Beautiful cinematography and stunning 3D, but the film itself as a bit repetitive and preachy and even at 40 mins outstayed its welcome for me.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #385
Special Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandserious View Post

Under The Sea 3D
Deep Sea 3D
Hubble 3D
Space Station 3D
Born To Be Wild 3D
To The Arctic 3D

I'm also really fond of "Legends of Flight" & "Ultimate Wave: Tahiti" for strong 3D effects.
You're right. But it doesn't seem like "To The Arctic" is getting good reviews for its content.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #386
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
You're right. But it doesn't seem like "To The Arctic" is getting good reviews for its content.
and for the fact that 3D really isn't well integrated and doesn't provide a lot of *pop* [the movie itself is also really kind of bland and boring]
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #387
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I watched Grand Canyon Adventure the other day. Beautiful cinematography and stunning 3D, but the film itself as a bit repetitive and preachy and even at 40 mins outstayed its welcome for me.
oh come come, how can you slam a movie that features Dave Matthews music ?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #388
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
and for the fact that 3D really isn't well integrated and doesn't provide a lot of *pop* [the movie itself is also really kind of bland and boring]
Born to Be Wild, OTOH, gives you the pop you crave, and cute orangutans and elephants to boot.

As for "dopey" dinosaurs, I've Netflixed both "Dinosaurs Alive!" and "Giants of Patagonia", and I can't remember enough about them clearly to say which is better, but they're both good.
Patagonia, of the two, has more "plot" in following a young dino, not to mention some memorable POV shots of apatasauri from ground level...
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #389
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

at the latter end of next week I'll give you some of my thoughts on the latest 'space' 3D feature in all it's 15/70 IMAX goodness:

Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #390
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

^ overall Hidden Universe was pretty good. The 3D was well implemented - the starscapes with the extra dimensionality was spectacular and on a huge 4:3 screen it has an extra wow element - I can't imagine how unengaging seeing this in 2D would be. Can't say I cared for the scripted dialogue - some of it is so corny and cliched. I know it's unfair to compare this to Carl Sagan's tv show Cosmos - but this movie screamed out for some Vangelis music, because what was composed was loud, bombastic and overall uneven - the score needed to be epic and tranquil

I'd give a letter grade: B+

Last edited by Dubstar; 02-07-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #391
Special Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Thanks for your review. Was it mostly CGI or real IMAX Photography?

I enjoyed Hubble, but was somewhat disappointed to learn much of the "Galactic Imagery" by the Hubble Telescope was CGI. It's nice, but lacks the breathtaking wow factor of 15/70 photography like Born to be Wild.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #392
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Thanks for your review. Was it mostly CGI or real IMAX Photography?

I enjoyed Hubble, but was somewhat disappointed to learn much of the "Galactic Imagery" by the Hubble Telescope was CGI. It's nice, but lacks the breathtaking wow factor of 15/70 photography like Born to be Wild.
well except for one shot that was digital rerendering - most all of the shots were actual Hubble photography - the narration during the Mars footage even states 'no, this is not modern Hollywood special effects' - this is actual telescopic photography of Mars' terrain' - wow!

and to clarify one point, not all of the 'Born to be Wild' was 15/70 - new IMAX cameras were made and filmed certain scenes as digital 4K capturing/photography.

Last edited by Dubstar; 02-07-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #393
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
most all of the shots were actual Hubble photography
This is what I remember as well after several viewings. The galaxy photography was taken from a 2D source and via computer computation each star was given its known distance and its image placed on the virtual grid for an accurate simulation of space-travel movement in real-time.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 02-07-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #394
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandserious View Post

Under The Sea 3D
Deep Sea 3D
Hubble 3D
Space Station 3D
Born To Be Wild 3D
To The Arctic 3D

Madgascar IMAX 3D is also very visually impressive, your in for a treat when that hits theatres in April
WJWS AMITY The Station that plays the Hits!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #395
Special Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
well except for one shot that was digital rerendering - most all of the shots were actual Hubble photography - the narration during the Mars footage even states 'no, this is not modern Hollywood special effects' - this is actual telescopic photography of Mars' terrain' - wow!

and to clarify one point, not all of the 'Born to be Wild' was 15/70 - new IMAX cameras were made and filmed certain scenes as digital 4K capturing/photography.
Thanks. I'll put the Blu-ray in my wishlist. Hopefully the price drops.

And about the digital photography in 'Born to be Wild', I knew about that. Shot using two Phantom 65 Gold Cameras. But it otherwise accounts for maybe 10% of the entire documentary. That's about 4 minutes. This same camera was used in Transformers Age of Extinction.

According to the special features, the cameras were used to capture very spontaneous animal activity, so I probably have an idea when it was used. But otherwise, at least on Blu-ray, the quality of both film and digital cameras were extremely high quality, it's difficult to tell the difference.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 AM   #396
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Thanks. I'll put the Blu-ray in my wishlist. Hopefully the price drops.

And about the digital photography in 'Born to be Wild', I knew about that. Shot using two Phantom 65 Gold Cameras. But it otherwise accounts for maybe 10% of the entire documentary. That's about 4 minutes. This same camera was used in Transformers Age of Extinction.

According to the special features, the cameras were used to capture very spontaneous animal activity, so I probably have an idea when it was used. But otherwise, at least on Blu-ray, the quality of both film and digital cameras were extremely high quality, it's difficult to tell the difference.
really? that I did not know - I thought the purpose of the new digital IMAX cameras was 1) it could record more and 2) it's lighter and is less noisy and wouldn't spook the animals since a lot was up close camera angles.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #397
Special Member

Jun 2007
Singapore

Quote:
really? that I did not know - I thought the purpose of the new digital IMAX cameras was 1) it could record more and 2) it's lighter and is less noisy and wouldn't spook the animals since a lot was up close camera angles.
Born to be Wild used a work-in-progress prototype rig. The majority of the doc was still filmed in Dual Strip 70mm 3D. The special feature on the Blu-ray, I think it's named "Wild Filmmaking" has some insights to the filmmaking process. Talking about the challenges filming and some valuable footage with the digital camera.

I'm not saying your points are invalid. But in future documentaries, they might make very interesting documentaries with this cameras.

TF4 has the finalized version of the camera. Which also means, it will be the first time I'm watching a movie in Digital IMAX 3D since the rise of digital projection.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Tags
sea monsters