Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #121
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Good answer. I like the "commitment thrill" you speak of...
But... as for "I want to sit in my home theater and experience a movie for the first time in all of it's Blu-ray, HD glory"Couldn't you rent a Blu-ray from Netflix or RedBox?
Agreed. Renting makes much more sense I am realizing as time goes on and I look at all my movies I have bought, most of which were blind buys and how many of those movies I actually will watch more than once (not all that many). Renting for the most part (some of the Lionsgate titles dont apply since the rental version gets DD audio instead of lossless) gets you the EXACT same audio, video and of course movie experience at a fraction of the cost. Of course if money is no object which I assume it is to the vast majority of us (certainly is to me!), might as well buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post

When ya have over 1000 movies, you can bet 300 of them wont be watched ever again
Exactly. When you add up all this money, it could have been used for something like taking a trip, buying a new piece of gear, etc..... I look at all my DVDs and blu rays and so many of them I will never watch again and wished I had just rented. Redbox and Netflix are a beautiful thing!

Having said all that, I do still blind buy a fair amount of 3d blu rays only because I cant rent them through Netflix or Redbox. Assuming one or both of these services ever starts renting 3d blus, my buying here will dwindle significantly as well.

Last edited by Todd Smith; 03-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #122
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGDANGER View Post
Is it just me or does there seem to be a large grey area around what constitutes people's definition of a blind buy? I guess to me a blind buy is grabbing a movie off the shelf that I have absolutely no prior knowledge of whatsoever. Seems to me if you have seen a trailer or read discussions on the movie you are then making an educated or at least a somewhat informed purchase. Just sounds silly for folks to say they "plan to blind buy". Maybe I'm confusing impulse buying with blind buying.
You have a point if you've read discussions, but seeing a trailer is shaky. Trailers are very misleading. I thought Seeking a Friend for the End of the World would be more of a comedy based on the trailers. Who the hell knows Cloud Atlas is about. Life was not the laugh riot I was promised. Sweeney Todd didn't indicate it was a musical if memory serves me correctly (loved it anyway) And God forbid if you didn't notice that Pan's Labyrinth was rated R. The trailer only showed glimpses of the gory parts & it did seem like a live action fairy tale. Lets not even get started with A Good Day to Die Hard. The title alone is misleading.

With that said, I blind bought Life of Pi today.

Rise of the Guardians was an "impulse buy"

Last edited by jd_from_da_80s; 03-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #123
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Most of my purchases are blind buys, but the result of extensive research.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #124
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Dayton,Ohio

I don't go to the theater anymore, so all my purchases are blind buys, other than catalog releases.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #125
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008

A blind buy to me is simply a movie you have not seen before no matter if you have seen trailers, read reviews, etc.....all of which may or may not reflect your perception of the film and A/V which is why it is still a blind buy IMO.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #126
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

depends on the price. I am not willing to spend $25+ on a bluray for a movie I don't know anything about just because there is so much crap out there, you need to be aware. But if it is a reasonable price(or on cheap dvd), I will buy it. can't say how often though because there have been so few movies over the last few years that have interested me, I don't buy as much as I used to.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #127
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

I would blind buy quite a lot and thus far have only sold on a few that I really didn't like and knew I wouldn't have been interested in watching again.
I wouldn't spend too much on a blind buy,nearly all the one's I have purchased had been on general release for some time,the other plus side is I get them for a good price.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #128
Power Member

Jul 2011

Easily the majority are blind buys for me.

When I buy something on blu-ray I've already seen a million times elsewhere, I quite often don't even watch it for weeks/months (or longer).
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #129
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
South Central Los Angeles

If the price is right i'll blind buy or i'll just rent, Unless i really really want to see it and think i would like it then i would just Blind Buy

I blind bought
Hotel Transylvania
The Possession
Wreck it ralph
and will be Blind buying Zero Dark Thirty.
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #130
Special Member

Sep 2011
Illinois

Very very rarely do I actually blind buy.

I worry about money too much.
"Funny how sometimes you just find things" - How I Met Your Mother [2005 - 2014]

Favorites Of 2013: The Great Gatsby, The Wolf Of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, Philomena, Disney's Frozen, Prisoners, Her, and Gravity.
Honorable Mention: Jurassic Park 3D
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #131
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

I've only done it twice....
Old 03-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #132

Mar 2013
Indiana

Unfortunately, I bought Cold Light of Day as a blind buy simply because I thought
[Show spoiler]Bruce Willis would play a major part in it.

I will blind buy Denzel and Bruce Willis movies. Such as Crimson Tide...I haven't seen it, but I really want to buy it because it's a Denzel Movie AND it was directed by Tony Scott, one of my top directors.
28.06:42.12
100: Flight
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #133
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Augusta, GA

It would have to be a VERY good deal, and even still, I'm looking at the back of the cover, looking it up on Rotten Tomatoes, etc... to get a general feel before I buy it, so I guess I do Impulse Buy somewhat regularly...

But a total blind buy, I can only recall one, The House at the End of the Street, and that happened because my buddy at MovieStop offered me a free reserve, and that was the only title that sounded somewhat appealing at the time... Pleasantly surprised by the movie, too.
My growing collection:
#1 - Juno (2/29/12) :: #100 - Easy A (4/7/12)
#200 - Simpsons Movie (4/27/12) :: #300 - North by Northwest (5/28/12)
#400 - The Corpse Bride (11/02/12) :: #500 - A Bug's Life (1/3/13)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #134

Sep 2010
Antwerp, Belgium

I blind buy all the time.

Less than 100 movies in my collection are not bought blind.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #135
Expert Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA

I don't blind buy that much. Tangled was my first BD blind buy (2010). Last month, I finally made my second blind buy (Skyfall).

I am considering blind buying Lincoln (4-disc) and Les Miserables (either Walmart or Target exclusive).

I don't often blind buy since buying BDs can add up significantly. My main reason for renting from Blockbuster and the local library is that they're most likely to carry the retail versions of movies that I may possibly buy if only the rental versions are available. Although I admit for 2 disc Blu-rays where a 1 disc blu-ray version exists, I am then forced to buy the 2 disc set.

Last edited by disneywildcat; 03-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #136

Sep 2012
US

Well recently most of the movies I've picked up are blind buys because I haven't been able to get to the theater since I saw Dark Shadows last year.

So The Hobbit was a blind buy/pre order, but I love LoTRS so it's a non issue

Wreck It Ralph I bought because I tend to like those types of movies and it was on sale with the coupon or I probaly wouldn't have.

Rise of The Guardians it's on sale, I wanted to see it before and it has the hopping eggs so I ordered it.

Breaking Dawn Part 2 couldn't get to the theater to see it but had seen the other 4 and enjoyed them so I know this will be good. Plus I wanted the Target set.

Brave - heard good things about it bought it day one, but still haven't watched it. oops. I will get to it, but did get the steelbook with it so it's all good. Maybe this weekend I will see it.

Bought Snow White and The Huntsman day one for the Chris Hemsworth cover and the extended edition at Target because I am a fan of his. Loved the movie. And I like Snow White anyway so it a sure thing.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #137
Special Member

Mar 2011

Most of the time, I do. Usually if I can get a good deal/sale, sparks my interest, or is recommended... I say most of everything is blind buy because I rarely go to the theaters.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #138

Jan 2010

Never. If I haven't seen a movie I won't buy it. Hence why my collection is relatively small.

My fiancee actually does blind buy, but really only DVDs and if they're a great value...like Family Video sales where she can get five movies she wants to see for $10.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #139
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGDANGER View Post
Is it just me or does there seem to be a large grey area around what constitutes people's definition of a blind buy? I guess to me a blind buy is grabbing a movie off the shelf that I have absolutely no prior knowledge of whatsoever.. Maybe I'm confusing impulse buying with blind buying.
Hahaa. Well, of course that's taking the term literally. But, having knowledge that a film exists hardly constitutes anything. Seeing a two minute trailer doesn't mean squat when it comes to a two hour movie. It doesn't change the fact that you're still "taking a chance" on making a purchase on a product you haven't seen, hence the term, "blind buy"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America