Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.81
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$47.86
Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces (Blu-ray)
$49.11
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Banshee: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$25.21
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.55
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$24.99
April and the Extraordinary World (Blu-ray)
$19.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #201
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yes, that's kinda the same effect I'm talking about, it drains the colour from people's faces, even their lips. There's definitely a scene or two like that in the original US Blu-ray too (when Murray's sizing up the 'bank job'), but the effect is much too pervasive in the remastered JPN disc for my liking. It's a shame because it's beautifully film-like otherwise.

The original BD of Bad Boys suffered from the same problem which was thankfully corrected for the Mi4K re-release, seems to be the other way around with Groundhog Day though.

Mike: I dunno if the actual 4K version will suffer from the same problem, something could've changed during the downsampling of one to the other.
Have you re-watched the US BD recently? I think the problem is pretty much as bad, and the awfully processed look and overal dated transfer makes it obsolete.
There are a handful of shots where the skintones look less than desirable, but it DOES take place in winter, so maybe it was just how they looked, or the make-up?
Either way, I could never go back to the US disc now.

Again: What are you going to watch from her on in?
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #202
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I've still got the old BD and specifically compared it back and forth, IMO the problem is nowhere near as bad on the original disc. Compare the shot early on of Murray in the road when he's being told by the cop that the road is closed, he looks perfectly normal in the old disc but seems to have some kind of liver problem in the JPN disc

Having watched the import recently I've sated my need for now, I'll just have to watch the old disc and squint a bit in future.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #203
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010

Scanned it a bit, and depending on lighting it looks pretty consistent
Revionist audio and video is for the cheap seats
Physical media Fo lyfe.
The Scott Bros. do no wrong.
Dolby Vision is a company grasping at relevance.
Bring back and refine SXRD displays.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #204
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I've still got the old BD and specifically compared it back and forth, IMO the problem is nowhere near as bad on the original disc. Compare the shot early on of Murray in the road when he's being told by the cop that the road is closed, he looks perfectly normal in the old disc but seems to have some kind of liver problem in the JPN disc

Having watched the import recently I've sated my need for now, I'll just have to watch the old disc and squint a bit in future.
I just checked and I guess we will have to agree to disagree here, mate.
The JP disc is much clearer, so maybe you are now fully able to see all the details and colours, and he is out in a blizzard with nothing but a shirt on, so naturally he won't be very tanned. The difference is minute on my screen.
I would certainly love to see what it looks like on your screen, but that's not possible.
The new one is a billion times better IMHO.
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #205
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

My screen is properly calibrated so perhaps that's where our differences in perception lie. I'm not trying to change your mind by any means, you're welcome to stick with your "billion times better" disc but it's not for me. Oh well.
Thanks given by:
dvdmike (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #206
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Well, mine may not be ISF calibrated, but it is calibrated according to Disney's WOW and Spears & Munsil.
As I said.....
Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #207
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Mine's a bit further along than that, having used a spectro to generate a specific correction matrix for my colorimeter which I then used with HCFR to check the accuracy of the colour temperature, grayscale, gamma and primary/secondary colours (along with confirming 100 nits brightness as per SDR mastering convention), all things which simply can't be set by eye...although the calibration discs are always a good place to start.

In other words, I trust that what I'm seeing is as accurate as possible to what's on the disc and I see a marked difference in the colour on the two GD discs. I've given it a glowing review to be sure, but upon further reflection I found the colour problems to be too distracting. It's not there all the time, don't get me wrong, but it creeps into the image here and there and as awesome as the rest of the JPN transfer undoubtedly is I just can't dig the colour.

Last edited by Geoff D; 02-13-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (02-14-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #208
Special Member

Dec 2009

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but it looks like Netflix is using the newer 4K master. I ended up stumbling upon it the other day and did a quick comparison with caps-a-holic's pics, and it definitely matches up with the JPN blu more so than the US blu. Especially when it comes to framing (plus Phil's first suicide attempt has the vignetting that was missing on the first blu) Would still like to see Sony push more UHD catalog titles aside from Ghostbusters 1&2 and Labyrinth, so hopefully this will be one such title, especially since they already made the scan.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #209
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but it looks like Netflix is using the newer 4K master. I ended up stumbling upon it the other day and did a quick comparison with caps-a-holic's pics, and it definitely matches up with the JPN blu more so than the US blu. Especially when it comes to framing (plus Phil's first suicide attempt has the vignetting that was missing on the first blu) Would still like to see Sony push more UHD catalog titles aside from Ghostbusters 1&2 and Labyrinth, so hopefully this will be one such title, especially since they already made the scan.
It is on Amazon Prime also. Hopefully a 4K disc will come later this year.
The Criterion Collection (or simply Criterion) is an American video-distribution company which specializes in licensing "important classic and contemporary films" and selling them to film aficionados.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America