Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate Star Trek Beyond
One Star 4 1.16%
Two Stars 16 4.62%
Three Stars 80 23.12%
Four Stars 192 55.49%
Five Stars 54 15.61%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #3601
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's incredibly poorly written and the Khan remix stuff is silly. You don't have to agree with that, but it's not hard to understand why people dislike it. A lot of people don't care too much about poor script-writing though, it's not like I expect everyone to dislike it as much as I do.

I'd still probably give it three stars just for being pretty sci-fi.

Hopefully someone will give this a fair shake:

Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #3602
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-

Lots of people in this thread seriously don't understand why someone wouldn't like Into Darkness? ("I don't get the hate") Really?? It's not like we're talking about Citizen Kane or 2001: A Space Odyssey here and imperfections, if any, are difficult to spot and open for debate. Even if I loved ID, I at least would have enough imagination to think of a few reasons why others might not enjoy it.
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:10 AM   #3603
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")
Cool

POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" / Center: CS2 - Front: RTiA5's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Sides), FXiA3's (Rears) - 2 Onkyo SKH-410 DOLBY ATMOS Spkrs / Subs: 2 PA-120's
ONKYO TX-NR838: DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - Emotiva XPA-3/Gen 2 - OPPO BDP-103D
DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Remote: Harmony ONE
Old 07-29-2016, 04:35 AM   #3604
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I don't mean it as snobby, I really don't. It's just about priorities, people care about different things. For example Khan beaming to the Klingon home world directly from Earth is something so irritating to me it hurts the film significantly. Into Darkness is filled with moments like that, that is just one small example. Why would that character do this? Why would they choose that? Why does one demand the prime directive not be broken WHILE breaking it? Things like that just annoy me, script issues many wouldn't even notice or care about. Same for all the Khan stuff, which just make me roll my eyes in the theater.

I'm not trying to say I am right, or that you guys SHOULD care about this stuff. I am just explaining why some of us dislike the movie, since you and others have said it confuses you.
I mean, I think a lot of people care about general writing, I just didn't know you meant specific plot holes and logic gaps...indeed much of which I don't notice. That's the stuff of CinemaSins and I don't care to analyze a movie like that specifically. I guess these things permeate every blockbuster, hell every movie, so I don't know why this movie gets particular heat, except maybe because it's Star Trek and it has a huge legacy and following and it's going to be scrutinized for playing with classic characters. It's worth noting that I'm not a big Star Trek fan, other than this reboot trilogy I've only seen 2, 3, 4, & 6 of the original movies and the episode "Space Seed" of the original show. Nothing about Khan bothered me, I thought Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job and the character was an interesting villain. I thought the basic storyline was well executed, intense, and emotionally engaging, such as the stuff between Pike and Kirk, Kirk and Spock's relationship development and chemistry, Khan's teary eyed moment, general interplay between Kirk and other members of the crew, and other spoilerish scenes. I actually found Beyond to lack that emotional element and the characters didn't pop like in the first two movies.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 AM   #3605
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Bingo. I watched it again a couple of days ago and it sho' looks pretty, boss! Combine that with the LOUD NOISES and RoboCop being AWESOME and you've got a couple hours of dumb blockbuster entertainment. Fine. But to me it's an empty soulless shell of a film because they've simply reheated ST '09 (and they compound that film's incredible genre-defying plot device with another one that's even worse) and stirred in some leftovers from the finale of Wrath of Khan, not to mention treating Bones as a recurring gag rather than an actual character (to the point where Karl Urban seriously considered not returning for a third movie).
You didn't appreciate that as a nod/homage to that movie? I believe that was the intention, not that that matters as much as the execution. This is a reboot series as well and with the whole alternate timeline aspect it makes sense to me that Khan would've showed up eventually and they would've shaken the story up a little. He's the single most popular and formidable villain from classic Trek.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #3606
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Lots of people in this thread seriously don't understand why someone wouldn't like Into Darkness? ("I don't get the hate") Really?? It's not like we're talking about Citizen Kane or 2001: A Space Odyssey here and imperfections, if any, are difficult to spot and open for debate. Even if I loved ID, I at least would have enough imagination to think of a few reasons why others might not enjoy it.
Admittedly I could've posed my question/curiosity in a more considerate manner. I was tired of seeing the same members giving it flack without explanation and I also happen to love the movie (thus any flaws are minor to me) so I threw my little comment out there, not thinking it would generate so many responses. I don't think my opinion of it is the only opinion or anything. Sure it doesn't have the reputation that Kane or 2001 do, but it is solidly acclaimed. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that occasionally. There are other movies I think highly of and can recognize why others might not like them, I guess I just didn't see that here.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #3607

Jan 2010

3/5 from me. Some enjoyable moments but not a great film. Really getting tired of these movies filled with last second rescues though. There were like 3 or 4 in this one alone. Seriously takes me out of the movie and deflates the tension.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #3608
Special Member

Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
I mean, I think a lot of people care about general writing, I just didn't know you meant specific plot holes and logic gaps...indeed much of which I don't notice. That's the stuff of CinemaSins and I don't care to analyze a movie like that specifically.
I'm not that kind of spectator either but the stupidity in those movies is so glaring that I couldn't help but notice, it's Michael-Bay-schlock level writing, I mean the ending of the first movie was so illogically pandering that I sincerely wanted to puke, and the Khan twist in the sequel is nonsensical both as a fan and as a non-fan.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #3609
Banned

Jun 2010

Darkness is a great ride, always was
Thanks given by:
spectre08 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #3610
Blu-ray Jedi

Aug 2011
Starship Avalon (You're My Shooting Star, You Make My Heart Ascend)

So I'm leaving to go see this then now.

I saw the previous two, and have movie money for it. So I figured why not. Gets me out of the house for a while on my day off.
Biggest Jen fan! Red Sparrow 3/2/18 in 75 Days - X-Men: Dark Phoenix 11/2/18 in 320 days.

mother! now available on digital and BD 12/19/17

We got lost along the way. But we found each other. And we made a life. A beautiful life... together. - Aurora
Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread
Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #3611
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
I'm not that kind of spectator either but the stupidity in those movies is so glaring that I couldn't help but notice, it's Michael-Bay-schlock level writing, I mean the ending of the first movie was so illogically pandering that I sincerely wanted to puke, and the Khan twist in the sequel is nonsensical both as a fan and as a non-fan.
Sooo, you're just here to threadcrap?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #3612
Special Member

Jan 2014
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Sooo, you're just here to threadcrap?
I'm here becuase I'm a trekkie and like science fiction in general and it pains me to see crap sci-fi getting a free pass because they are "a great ride".
Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #3613
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
I'm here becuase I'm a trekkie and like science fiction in general and it pains me to see crap sci-fi getting a free pass because they are "a great ride".
You keep mistaking opinion for fact.

At this point it's just trolling if you're not interested in seeing Beyond.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #3614
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I mean, I think a lot of people care about general writing, I just didn't know you meant specific plot holes and logic gaps...indeed much of which I don't notice. That's the stuff of CinemaSins and I don't care to analyze a movie like that specifically. I guess these things permeate every blockbuster, hell every movie, so I don't know why this movie gets particular heat, except maybe because it's Star Trek and it has a huge legacy and following and it's going to be scrutinized for playing with classic characters.
It's not all cinema sins style nitpicks though. There's real plot and story issues in that movie for me. Even the transporter thing I mentioned makes the whole plot of the movie questionable, since they send a ship after Khan in alien space when obviously they could just beam in a team with a nuke and beam them out (never mind the whole concept destroys the franchise). Why does Kirk fire Scotty so quickly? Why does the Admiral have a shite plan? Why did it have to be Khan? Why did they make a death meaningless immediately? Why is Bones totally sidelined? Why do professional officers act like teenagers? Why does Khan decide to risk the crew he fought so hard to save just for funsies at the end?

I just hate the plot, character motivations and beats of that movie so much. It just reeks of a poor script to me from every pore. Beyond has some script issues like the bad guy exposition dump during the climax and some stranded aliens having technology that can destroy a starship in seconds, but it's nowhere near a poorly written movie over all, not like Into Darkness is.

Again though, it's a pretty ride and the dialog is fun and that's all most will want from it and that's okay.
Thanks given by:
Det. Bullock (07-30-2016), Geoff D (11-26-2016), IronWaffle (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #3615
Special Member

Oct 2008

So last night I saw "Beyond" in the three-panel Barco Escape format. I'd give the experience a B-, mainly because I enjoy the movie, which is an A for me. The side screens were black for maybe half the film. (Kinda like watching the switching ratios of a movie partially shot with IMAX cameras, only more noticeable in this format with the large side screens.) Of the times the side screens had content, half that was with expanded GC material which looked good and then the other half was blown up filmed material which looked noticeably grainy. There were times in some scenes where it switched to 3-panel then 1-panel then back to 3-panel a lot; that was challenging to enjoy until you basically got used to it (or didn't). The hard seams between the screens didn't bother me as much because the screens are large and so much is going on as the camera pans or objects are moving across the screens. But the scenes with an f-in' huge Enterprise across three screens got me excited. If a film were made and planned on being screened in this format, I'd be very interested seeing it. That would eliminate the switching video quality in film (it'd all be clear rather than part clear part grainy). Otherwise, I'm glad I saw once this way. I would've even not minded paying for it (I won these tickets in a contest, so I saw it for free). If you're a Trek fan and enjoyed the movie, I'd recommend seeing once this way for the novelty of it.
Thanks given by:
L-Rouge (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #3616
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2012
NJ

Thanks given by:
i007spectre (07-30-2016), L-Rouge (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #3617
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
You didn't appreciate that as a nod/homage to that movie? I believe that was the intention, not that that matters as much as the execution. This is a reboot series as well and with the whole alternate timeline aspect it makes sense to me that Khan would've showed up eventually and they would've shaken the story up a little. He's the single most popular and formidable villain from classic Trek.
But the heck of it is, Wrath of Khan informs every one of these nuTrek flicks and I'm not surprised, seeing as A) it's awesome and 2) Meyer is an old family friend of the Abrams'. The first movie made a thing about showing Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru (complete with him chomping on an apple vis-a-vis the Genesis cave) and also has Nero torturing Pike with a beastie that makes him susceptible to suggestion, while the third has Bones and a morose Kirk sharing a drink on the latter's birthday.

The other TOS movies get a look in too, sure (funnily enough, it's usually the films that Meyer worked on, like showing Praxis already blown up from Undiscovered Country or the Vulcan learning thingy from Voyage Home) but to me it's obvious that Khan's DNA is part of the fundamental make-up of this entire reboot trilogy (no magic blood pun intended). So when something like STID turns the homages up to 11 and ends up as a near-remake for Khan's last act it's too on the nose, too over the top. I didn't think it was cute, I thought it was embarassing, especially the "KHAAAAAN!!" callback with Spock which I personally find to be utterly cringe-worthy, it takes what should be a poignant moment and literally makes me laugh out loud instead.

The sad thing is that there's an intriguing germ of an idea there, that Khan was a brainwashed secret agent working for Section 31, and after having read the Khan tie-in comic I'd much rather have seen those adventures turned into a film than the sorry mess we ended up with. Cabbagepatch makes a fine villain too, I dunno about a fine Khan (there can be only one) but he's great in STID nonetheless.

For me, STID is a film that's far less than the sum of its parts, whereas the other two exceed their limitations to become a much more satisfying whole.
Thanks given by:
enro (07-30-2016), IronWaffle (07-30-2016), StingingVelvet (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 02:20 AM   #3618
Special Member

Jan 2014
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
You keep mistaking opinion for fact.

At this point it's just trolling if you're not interested in seeing Beyond.
A noted Italian trekkie whose blog I follow that hated the first two even more than me gave it a glowing non spoiler review, but unfortunately geography works against me since there are about 30 kilometeres of Mediterrenean sea between me and the closest cinema and moreover it's turistic season so the job occupies too much of my day to get a ferry to mainland Sicily and then come back (also I work during the afternoon, evening and night and they don't do morning showings, I checked ).

Perhaps there will be waterways clean enough that will allow me to see it but no such luck until now.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #3619
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
New Zealand

that is a magnificent appreciation of "Beyond" from that blogger's perspective. Honestly this movie feels like star trek of the 3 if this is a going concern, where the characters have the strongest performances and the nods to previous ties feel natural. I have to admit from wat I have seen and read from those who dislike the... ahem "kelvin timeline", do like what was achieved in the film, which is good.

however not sure if you'll change your mind on this given the amount of action in the film.

My greatest appreciation is the ability to live new ship configurations, that makes me sing.

here is an interview with Sean Hargreaves designer of The Franklin re-fit design Enterprise, Yorktown Station and another design.

Spoilers
"Do not try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a Buddist; use it to be a better whatever you are already"

The Dalai Lama XIV
Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #3620
Special Member

Jan 2014
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
however not sure if you'll change your mind on this given the amount of action in the film.
The action itself is not really the problem, it's the utter stupidity of the writing of the first two Abramsverse movies my main issue.
Yes, I know I said TPM is my favourite and I don't quite get the adoration for Wrath of Khan but that doesn't mean I don't like it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies