Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Ben-Hur (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Lair of the White Worm (Blu-ray)
$24.99
King Kong (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.89
Mildred Pierce (Blu-ray)
$26.19
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


View Poll Results: Rate Star Trek Beyond
One Star 4 1.20%
Two Stars 15 4.49%
Three Stars 74 22.16%
Four Stars 188 56.29%
Five Stars 53 15.87%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #3601
jlk5844 jlk5844 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
jlk5844's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Arizona, USA
1073
308
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's incredibly poorly written and the Khan remix stuff is silly. You don't have to agree with that, but it's not hard to understand why people dislike it. A lot of people don't care too much about poor script-writing though, it's not like I expect everyone to dislike it as much as I do.

I'd still probably give it three stars just for being pretty sci-fi.
I don't agree which is precisely why I find it hard to understand! Every movie is going to have people who don't like it, obviously, but I don't get why the first movie gets a pass from some people (usually old school Trek fans I take it) but the equally (or almost as) great sequel doesn't. There's a somewhat small but vocal group of people who absolutely loathe it which mystifies me because there's so many good qualities about it. I'm not saying it's perfect but I cannot understand those ripping it apart. Whether you meant it or not, saying "a lot of people don't care too much about poor script-writing" sounds kind've film snobby.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #3602
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1248
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
I don't agree which is precisely why I find it hard to understand! Every movie is going to have people who don't like it, obviously, but I don't get why the first movie gets a pass from some people (usually old school Trek fans I take it) but the equally (or almost as) great sequel doesn't. There's a somewhat small but vocal group of people who absolutely loathe it which mystifies me because there's so many good qualities about it. I'm not saying it's perfect but I cannot understand those ripping it apart. Whether you meant it or not, saying "a lot of people don't care too much about poor script-writing" sounds kind've film snobby.
I don't mean it as snobby, I really don't. It's just about priorities, people care about different things. For example Khan beaming to the Klingon home world directly from Earth is something so irritating to me it hurts the film significantly. Into Darkness is filled with moments like that, that is just one small example. Why would that character do this? Why would they choose that? Why does one demand the prime directive not be broken WHILE breaking it? Things like that just annoy me, script issues many wouldn't even notice or care about. Same for all the Khan stuff, which just make me roll my eyes in the theater.

I'm not trying to say I am right, or that you guys SHOULD care about this stuff. I am just explaining why some of us dislike the movie, since you and others have said it confuses you.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
aiman04 (07-29-2016), Geoff D (07-28-2016), IronWaffle (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #3603
Dunemoon Dunemoon is offline
Power Member
 
Jul 2013
Default

Hopefully the shitty rap music will not return for the next one. Just ruins the happy nostalgia.
Qui Ben Han.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #3604
dvdmike dvdmike is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2010
989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunemoon View Post
Hopefully the shitty rap music will not return for the next one. Just ruins the happy nostalgia.
Shitty???
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #3605
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1058
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Good... good! You've converted to my way of thinking!



That's exactly what I was arguing earlier.
Like I said, having now seen the film it just feels out of place given what we see in that earlier montage. If that sequence wasn't present then I'd be fine with Sulu and hubby just having a cuddle, but to show all that rampant hetero-ness and then not even have something as simple as a quick kiss between them feels like a total cop out. Perhaps it really didn't play all that well, considering that his hubby is the scriptwriter who was enlisted for the scene at pretty much the last minute. Is it better to have no kiss than a forced, badly acted one? Hmmm.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Infernal King (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #3606
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1058
4
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I don't mean it as snobby, I really don't. It's just about priorities, people care about different things. For example Khan beaming to the Klingon home world directly from Earth is something so irritating to me it hurts the film significantly. Into Darkness is filled with moments like that, that is just one small example. Why would that character do this? Why would they choose that? Why does one demand the prime directive not be broken WHILE breaking it? Things like that just annoy me, script issues many wouldn't even notice or care about. Same for all the Khan stuff, which just make me roll my eyes in the theater.

I'm not trying to say I am right, or that you guys SHOULD care about this stuff. I am just explaining why some of us dislike the movie, since you and others have said it confuses you.
Bingo. I watched it again a couple of days ago and it sho' looks pretty, boss! Combine that with the LOUD NOISES and RoboCop being AWESOME and you've got a couple hours of dumb blockbuster entertainment. Fine. But to me it's an empty soulless shell of a film because they've simply reheated ST '09 (and they compound that film's incredible genre-defying plot device with another one that's even worse) and stirred in some leftovers from the finale of Wrath of Khan, not to mention treating Bones as a recurring gag rather than an actual character (to the point where Karl Urban seriously considered not returning for a third movie).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #3607
PeterTHX PeterTHX is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's incredibly poorly written and the Khan remix stuff is silly. You don't have to agree with that, but it's not hard to understand why people dislike it. A lot of people don't care too much about poor script-writing though, it's not like I expect everyone to dislike it as much as I do.

I'd still probably give it three stars just for being pretty sci-fi.

Hopefully someone will give this a fair shake:


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #3608
Infernal King Infernal King is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Infernal King's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
-
1
Default

Lots of people in this thread seriously don't understand why someone wouldn't like Into Darkness? ("I don't get the hate") Really?? It's not like we're talking about Citizen Kane or 2001: A Space Odyssey here and imperfections, if any, are difficult to spot and open for debate. Even if I loved ID, I at least would have enough imagination to think of a few reasons why others might not enjoy it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:10 AM   #3609
Aerodude73 Aerodude73 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Aerodude73's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")
134
1691
9
31
Cool

POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" / Center: CS2 - Front: RTiA5's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Sides), FXiA3's (Rears) - 2 Onkyo SKH-410 DOLBY ATMOS Spkrs / Subs: 2 PA-120's
ONKYO TX-NR838: DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - Emotiva XPA-3/Gen 2 - OPPO BDP-103D
DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Remote: Harmony ONE
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:35 AM   #3610
jlk5844 jlk5844 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
jlk5844's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Arizona, USA
1073
308
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I don't mean it as snobby, I really don't. It's just about priorities, people care about different things. For example Khan beaming to the Klingon home world directly from Earth is something so irritating to me it hurts the film significantly. Into Darkness is filled with moments like that, that is just one small example. Why would that character do this? Why would they choose that? Why does one demand the prime directive not be broken WHILE breaking it? Things like that just annoy me, script issues many wouldn't even notice or care about. Same for all the Khan stuff, which just make me roll my eyes in the theater.

I'm not trying to say I am right, or that you guys SHOULD care about this stuff. I am just explaining why some of us dislike the movie, since you and others have said it confuses you.
I mean, I think a lot of people care about general writing, I just didn't know you meant specific plot holes and logic gaps...indeed much of which I don't notice. That's the stuff of CinemaSins and I don't care to analyze a movie like that specifically. I guess these things permeate every blockbuster, hell every movie, so I don't know why this movie gets particular heat, except maybe because it's Star Trek and it has a huge legacy and following and it's going to be scrutinized for playing with classic characters. It's worth noting that I'm not a big Star Trek fan, other than this reboot trilogy I've only seen 2, 3, 4, & 6 of the original movies and the episode "Space Seed" of the original show. Nothing about Khan bothered me, I thought Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job and the character was an interesting villain. I thought the basic storyline was well executed, intense, and emotionally engaging, such as the stuff between Pike and Kirk, Kirk and Spock's relationship development and chemistry, Khan's teary eyed moment, general interplay between Kirk and other members of the crew, and other spoilerish scenes. I actually found Beyond to lack that emotional element and the characters didn't pop like in the first two movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 AM   #3611
jlk5844 jlk5844 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
jlk5844's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Arizona, USA
1073
308
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Bingo. I watched it again a couple of days ago and it sho' looks pretty, boss! Combine that with the LOUD NOISES and RoboCop being AWESOME and you've got a couple hours of dumb blockbuster entertainment. Fine. But to me it's an empty soulless shell of a film because they've simply reheated ST '09 (and they compound that film's incredible genre-defying plot device with another one that's even worse) and stirred in some leftovers from the finale of Wrath of Khan, not to mention treating Bones as a recurring gag rather than an actual character (to the point where Karl Urban seriously considered not returning for a third movie).
You didn't appreciate that as a nod/homage to that movie? I believe that was the intention, not that that matters as much as the execution. This is a reboot series as well and with the whole alternate timeline aspect it makes sense to me that Khan would've showed up eventually and they would've shaken the story up a little. He's the single most popular and formidable villain from classic Trek.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #3612
jlk5844 jlk5844 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
jlk5844's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
Arizona, USA
1073
308
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
Lots of people in this thread seriously don't understand why someone wouldn't like Into Darkness? ("I don't get the hate") Really?? It's not like we're talking about Citizen Kane or 2001: A Space Odyssey here and imperfections, if any, are difficult to spot and open for debate. Even if I loved ID, I at least would have enough imagination to think of a few reasons why others might not enjoy it.
Admittedly I could've posed my question/curiosity in a more considerate manner. I was tired of seeing the same members giving it flack without explanation and I also happen to love the movie (thus any flaws are minor to me) so I threw my little comment out there, not thinking it would generate so many responses. I don't think my opinion of it is the only opinion or anything. Sure it doesn't have the reputation that Kane or 2001 do, but it is solidly acclaimed. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that occasionally. There are other movies I think highly of and can recognize why others might not like them, I guess I just didn't see that here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #3613
bmore007 bmore007 is online now
Active Member
 
Jan 2010
327
29
Default

3/5 from me. Some enjoyable moments but not a great film. Really getting tired of these movies filled with last second rescues though. There were like 3 or 4 in this one alone. Seriously takes me out of the movie and deflates the tension.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #3614
Det. Bullock Det. Bullock is offline
Special Member
 
Det. Bullock's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
84
4
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
I mean, I think a lot of people care about general writing, I just didn't know you meant specific plot holes and logic gaps...indeed much of which I don't notice. That's the stuff of CinemaSins and I don't care to analyze a movie like that specifically.
I'm not that kind of spectator either but the stupidity in those movies is so glaring that I couldn't help but notice, it's Michael-Bay-schlock level writing, I mean the ending of the first movie was so illogically pandering that I sincerely wanted to puke, and the Khan twist in the sequel is nonsensical both as a fan and as a non-fan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #3615
dvdmike dvdmike is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2010
989
Default

Darkness is a great ride, always was
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
spectre08 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #3616
Jennifer Lawrence Fan Jennifer Lawrence Fan is offline
Blu-ray Emperor
 
Jennifer Lawrence Fan's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
Starship Avalon (You're My Shooting Star, You Make My Heart Ascend)
592
482
33
19
385
Default

So I'm leaving to go see this then now.

I saw the previous two, and have movie money for it. So I figured why not. Gets me out of the house for a while on my day off.
Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan! I've written a comedy Life As Liz with Jen in mind as the lead. PM If your interested. I've written 15 feature length scripts.

Passengers arrives 12/21/16 - Which is in 15 days.

"I can't accept that I'm crazy" - Jen from an appearance on David Letterman. I feel the same too.
Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #3617
PeterTHX PeterTHX is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
I'm not that kind of spectator either but the stupidity in those movies is so glaring that I couldn't help but notice, it's Michael-Bay-schlock level writing, I mean the ending of the first movie was so illogically pandering that I sincerely wanted to puke, and the Khan twist in the sequel is nonsensical both as a fan and as a non-fan.
Sooo, you're just here to threadcrap?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #3618
Det. Bullock Det. Bullock is offline
Special Member
 
Det. Bullock's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Lipari, Aeolian Islands, Italy
84
4
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Sooo, you're just here to threadcrap?
I'm here becuase I'm a trekkie and like science fiction in general and it pains me to see crap sci-fi getting a free pass because they are "a great ride".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #3619
PeterTHX PeterTHX is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
I'm here becuase I'm a trekkie and like science fiction in general and it pains me to see crap sci-fi getting a free pass because they are "a great ride".
You keep mistaking opinion for fact.


At this point it's just trolling if you're not interested in seeing Beyond.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #3620
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1248
256
42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
I mean, I think a lot of people care about general writing, I just didn't know you meant specific plot holes and logic gaps...indeed much of which I don't notice. That's the stuff of CinemaSins and I don't care to analyze a movie like that specifically. I guess these things permeate every blockbuster, hell every movie, so I don't know why this movie gets particular heat, except maybe because it's Star Trek and it has a huge legacy and following and it's going to be scrutinized for playing with classic characters.
It's not all cinema sins style nitpicks though. There's real plot and story issues in that movie for me. Even the transporter thing I mentioned makes the whole plot of the movie questionable, since they send a ship after Khan in alien space when obviously they could just beam in a team with a nuke and beam them out (never mind the whole concept destroys the franchise). Why does Kirk fire Scotty so quickly? Why does the Admiral have a shite plan? Why did it have to be Khan? Why did they make a death meaningless immediately? Why is Bones totally sidelined? Why do professional officers act like teenagers? Why does Khan decide to risk the crew he fought so hard to save just for funsies at the end?

I just hate the plot, character motivations and beats of that movie so much. It just reeks of a poor script to me from every pore. Beyond has some script issues like the bad guy exposition dump during the climax and some stranded aliens having technology that can destroy a starship in seconds, but it's nowhere near a poorly written movie over all, not like Into Darkness is.

Again though, it's a pretty ride and the dialog is fun and that's all most will want from it and that's okay.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Det. Bullock (07-30-2016), Geoff D (11-26-2016), IronWaffle (07-29-2016)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.