COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
The Final Terror (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Fast & Furious 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$47.49
The Wicker Man (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #421
Robert Zohn Robert Zohn is online now
Senior Member
 
Robert Zohn's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Lets talk about audio accuracy, how do you know the mixes aren't anything more then deliberate panning effects to accent certain audio aspects in a unnatural way. Similar to how 3D videos made certain layers of a video seem to stretch away from the proscenium.

I'm also coming from a high end speaker perspective where a lot of mass market speakers are just god awful, and because your store caters to mostly the videophile crowd, I can't be impressed by any of Sandy Gross designs such as Definite Technology or GoldenEar for example.

There is a real disconnect between what I call acceptable accuracy from speakers against audio reproduction quality and what you call accuracy against simulating a XYZ environment only with 5.1/7.1 along with ceiling speakers.

In recent years I really feel the whole marketplace was centered on a minimalistic approach to go along with flat panels with wholly inadequate speakers where they pitch driver arrays quite diminutive yet ignoring the amount of THD of pushing something small versus realistic size.
Thanks John for the reply.

I can assure you that in the demo BDs we have, the sound is very accurately tied to the objects. In fact, far more accurately than traditional surround sound. I hope you agree that Dolby Labs know how to accomplish this and that Atmos is all about accurately placing the object(s) sounds to the correct speakers. Atmos has been out in theaters since early 2012 and I have never heard anyone say otherwise.

Most importantly is that all multichannel audio is not anything like audiophile reference 2 channel systems. It's all about the magic of Hollywood sizzle, which is well represented with the flagship high-end premium speaker brands and Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and other main stream receivers.

Yes, it's true that my skills are more in the video world, but we are no slouches in audio. Our business is strictly limited to a/v and we know this space very well.

So in summary Dolby Atmos is all about a more immersive multichannel audio experience and clearly beats any legacy traditional surround sound system we have enjoyed for many years.

Hope you and others will see that we agree more than we disagree.

-Robert
VE Advanced a/v Technology Dealer
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #422
wes wes is offline
Member
 
wes's Avatar
 
May 2008
California
66
173
2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Lets talk about audio accuracy, how do you know the mixes aren't anything more then deliberate panning effects to accent certain audio aspects in a unnatural way. Similar to how 3D videos made certain layers of a video seem to stretch away from the proscenium.

I'm also coming from a high end speaker perspective where a lot of mass market speakers are just god awful, and because your store caters to mostly the videophile crowd, I can't be impressed by any of Sandy Gross designs such as Definite Technology or GoldenEar for example.

There is a real disconnect between what I call acceptable accuracy from speakers against audio reproduction quality and what you call accuracy against simulating a XYZ environment only with 5.1/7.1 along with ceiling speakers.

In recent years I really feel the whole marketplace was centered on a minimalistic approach to go along with flat panels with wholly inadequate speakers where they pitch driver arrays quite diminutive yet ignoring the amount of THD of pushing something small versus realistic size.
Sandy Gross was using Pass Labs amplification at CEDIA 2014!!! Who is going to buy Pass Labs amps that are $$$$$$ and plug them into GoldenEar speakers and the otherway around!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #423
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
431
1
38
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Sandy Gross was using Pass Labs amplification at CEDIA 2014!!! Who is going to buy Pass Labs amps that are $$$$$$ and plug them into GoldenEar speakers and the otherway around!
My guess would be that he does not have separates to enjoy. I would need to have 2 or 3 more amps to do this along with a new receiver
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #424
Badas Badas is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
90
1666
27
11
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
My guess would be that he does not have separates to enjoy. I would need to have 2 or 3 more amps to do this along with a new receiver
When I get the Atmos software to run. Mine might be interesting. As I am running separates.

SR7009 Atmos plus two MM7055's all speakers bi-amp except for the ceiling speakers. I can assure you that all are balanced as well. I ran Auddessey and a SPL meter.

When Transformers comes let's see if I hear a difference.
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #425
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
431
1
38
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
When I get the Atmos software to run. Mine might be interesting. As I am running separates.

SR7009 Atmos plus two MM7055's all speakers bi-amp except for the ceiling speakers. I can assure you that all are balanced as well. I ran Auddessey and a SPL meter.

When Transformers comes let's see if I hear a difference.
I will be interested in your thoughts Dono.

All 9 of my speakers & 3 subwoofers are ran off separates. The thought of adding speakers & amplifiers along with a new receiver is
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 AM   #426
Badas Badas is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
90
1666
27
11
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
I will be interested in your thoughts Dono.

All 9 of my speakers & 3 subwoofers are ran off separates. The thought of adding speakers & amplifiers along with a new receiver is
Yeah I get ya.

However you will be able to use your power amps. All ya need is the AVR like what I have done. The poxy little ceiling speakers that Atmos uses can be run from the AVR. As the AVR will not be running any main speaker they will have ample to run the Atmos speakers. That is how mine is set up. Main speakers bi-amped power amps. Ceiling Speaker from AVR. I haven't seen ceiling speakers with bi-amp terminals yet either, so need for powerful amps.
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #427
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
467
24
1
Default

Hands On with Pioneer's Dolby Atmos Speakers and AVR

Quote:
From this very short demo with limited material, Dolby Surround is much less impressive in the way it adds height than what Pro Logic IIx does when adding extra rear channel speakers, but it's probably an upgrade over Pro Logic IIz's height channels. I look forward to more, long-term testing.
Quote:
'Transformers: Age of Extinction' sounds wonderful in Dolby Atmos and even improves on the 7.1 mix in a few places. But it isn't an overwhelmingly different surround experience. Seeing how capable Atmos is at recreating a theatrical experience, and since I've heard better Atmos theatrical mixes, I'm going to assume Atmos on Blu-ray can do a little better.
Overall very honest look at many aspects of Atmos usage/deployment.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:29 AM   #428
BozQ BozQ is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2007
Singapore
141
Default

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Blu-ray coming with Dolby Atmos. Excellent news. That's even more reasons not to worry about the lack of content when it comes to investing in a Dolby Atmos HTS.

Keep the momentum going!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
KubrickKurasawa (Today), PeterTHX (Today), Robert Zohn (Today)
Old Today, 04:13 AM   #429
ClaytonMG ClaytonMG is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ClaytonMG's Avatar
 
May 2006
New Brighton, MN
16
1128
2
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Hands On with Pioneer's Dolby Atmos Speakers and AVR




Overall very honest look at many aspects of Atmos usage/deployment.
I myself haven't seen Transformers 4 yet. However, a few of my friends have commented on the interesting mix. It seems there are multiple moments where they pull back on the sound effects and put the music at the front of the mix. I'd imagine that would have something to do with how effective the Atmos mix is.
- Players Used: Sony BDP-S570 / PS3 (ID: Jackal1985)
- Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR808
- Speakers: Klipsch Synergy 1 Series (7)
- Subs: 2 Yamaha YST-SW315
- TV: Panasonic TH-58PZ800u Plasma
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:45 AM   #430
Robert Zohn Robert Zohn is online now
Senior Member
 
Robert Zohn's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY
1
Default

Just watched Transformers: Age of Extinction in our Atmos store theater and it was excellent. I agree that the Atmos did not add a lot, but it was a nice improvement over 7.1.

Dolby's Atmos demo disc does a much better job of exploiting the benefits that Atmos has over a surround sound system.

I'm looking forward to more titles to launch with Atmos.

-Robert
VE Advanced a/v Technology Dealer
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:09 PM   #431
Solo man Solo man is online now
Active Member
 
Solo man's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario
72
272
285
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Just watched Transformers: Age of Extinction in our Atmos store theater and it was excellent. I agree that the Atmos did not add a lot, but it was a nice improvement over 7.1.

Dolby's Atmos demo disc does a much better job of exploiting the benefits that Atmos has over a surround sound system.

I'm looking forward to more titles to launch with Atmos.

-Robert
Yes me too, can't wait to hear more. Thanks for your feedback, I don't have atmos but that the sound in Transformers was awesome and to hear atmos improved the sound of 7.1 is great to hear.

Looking to see how Atmos pans out.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (Today)
Old Today, 04:14 PM   #432
Scarriere Scarriere is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
North of Sixty
18
325
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I"ve heard Dolby Atmos, and I thought it wasn't all that, to be honest! It's nothing to go head over heels over. I've heard ceiling speakers long before now, it's not anything new. I've been hearing multi-channel for years. I'm used to it!
I'm curious why you feel the need to consistently crap in this thread. You've stated that you're not into this a few times already, so why not move on?

Myself, I don't listen to Michael Jackson, so I don't go to that thread. I don't like horror films , so I don't go into those threads either. I don't have a Panasonic tv, so...

It's fairly obvious that there's some excitement about this new format and it'd be nice if you did the same regarding this thread.
Three simple rules in life:
1. If you don't go after what you want, you'll never get it.
2. If you do not ask, the answer will always be no.
3. If you do not move forward, you will always be in the same place.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 PM.