Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #21

Sep 2012

[QUOTE=rdodolak;6996920]In regards to the 3100, I found this thread but it's two years old. You'll need to check to make sure this loop hole hasn't been closed.

It hasn't.

One store had those "3100 and 3200" firmware discs to hand out.

If only the store was selling 31/3200 players ... I'd be set.

But seems ... whatever google search I do ... shows none for sale.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

... and the link for the 3200. Players must be discontinued then but it appears some people are getting them recently.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...region-bd.html
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-O-4000 View Post
It hasn't.

One store had those "3100 and 3200" firmware discs to hand out.

If only the store was selling 31/3200 players ... I'd be set.

But seems ... whatever google search I do ... shows none for sale.
Check out this thread in the Australian forum.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....39#post6995939

It also looks like JB Hi Fi New Zealand might still be selling the 3200 as they show it in stock and ready to ship although they don't ship outside the country.

http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-lcd-led-p...yer-sku-25924/

Last edited by rdodolak; 01-14-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #24

Sep 2012

Here's a question ...

What about this Toshiba BDX 1300 ?

http://www.binglee.com.au/toshiba-bd...lu-ray-player/

Same thing about having a printer circuit board that would have to be installed to make it Region Free?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #25

Jul 2012

Quote:
Thank you very kindly. I do hope I find an answer within a few days. Otherwise .. I will pack this player up .. and get a refund ... and get another player where I can make it region free without much problem.

With that in mind .. does anyone have any recommendations for players that can easily be changed to Region Free?

Not players purchased online ... but in the stores.

I got this from a JB Hi Fi ... which is a chain ... in Australia.

Any recommendations for store-bought players .. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!
I bought a Soniq B100 a while ago from JB Hifi because it could be made region free DVD (and choose Region A, B or C) very easily, with a simple 4 number code and eject tray process (Just type in Soniq B100 Region Free in Google).

However, I do believe that there have been issues with some of the models. Only those Soniq B100 with boxes saying Revision B actually have "internet updates" available. (Which mine doesn't, damn' it). Which might be an issue down the track when the AACS decryption key is changed. Apparently, the Soniq B100 is having issues playing some of the later BR releases (like Star Wars). They were readily available in all stores (they had heaps of 'em), but now only appear to be available online (perhaps 'cos of the "Rev B" issue).

The Laser BD1000 (which was available at BigW) is supposed to be Region Free out of the box! Or at least it tells you how to change regions in the instructions. Found this out just a week ago. They were sold out. However, this models might only be a 2.0 Blu Ray player and will only have 7.1 output via HDMI.

The BR player that ALDI sells every know and then (Bhaun) can be made Region Free, again with a simple code, but it is definitely only 2.0 (only composite audio output... No digital optical cable).

The latest "cheapy" BR player that I saw at Big W, Viviano, (or something like that) is again only 2.0 audio output, but I'm sure will have a Region Free code. The crap brands usually do.

As far as I know, no name brand Blu Ray players can be made Region Free in Australia through simply putting a code in. They required chip mods.

I have Region A South Park & The Walking Dead Blu Rays and I would like to watch Region A copies of The Walking Dead in future (Note: Only US & Canada DVD Region 1 & Blu-Ray Region A Season 1 Walking Dead copies are uncut) - Check this out for what your missing: http://www.movie-censorship.com/series.php?TID=5087

As my Soniq B100 may soon be obsolete, have issues playing newer Region A BR discs & is only 2.0 audio output... To resolve this:

I have bought a Sony BDP-S590 from the US, bought a heavy duty 240v to 120v Step Down Transformer. Hopefully this will suffice. Might be an issue in the future with the fact that Aussie electricity is 60hz (not 50hz) and may cause my transformer to run a bit hot. Buying a US Blu Ray player may be a solution to playing Region A discs.
Hey, You. Dumbass... Yeah, you in the tank... You cosy in there?
They're screwing with the wrong people
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
So .... may I ask you Almadacr ...... is there a thread that explains how to make the Toshiba BDX3100KY (and 3200) unit region free?
You need to download a firmware to a thumb drive and follow the rest . This is for the 3100 .

Procedure for changing regions (after installing the regionfree firmware)
1. Power on the blu-ray player.
2. Press "Setup" on the remote to enter Setup Menu.
3. Using the remote, enter "8520". A new submenu will appear.
4. Set DVD region code to "0" for DVD Multi Region.
5. Set BD region code as required using the remote buttons.
"1" = Region A, "2" = Region B, "4" = Region C
6. Press "Setup" button to exit the menu.

Depending what BR model you intend to buy check the site for the respective model and see if exists a modification available .
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #27

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post

The Laser BD1000 (which was available at BigW) is supposed to be Region Free out of the box! Or at least it tells you how to change regions in the instructions. Found this out just a week ago. They were sold out. However, this models might only be a 2.0 Blu Ray player and will only have 7.1 output via HDMI.
I did a check on Big W's website .. and this is available .. at a store near me. The audio output is fine with me. I just need to know for sure ... that I can make it region free .. or at least change the code back and forth between "A" and "B".

If there's a way to confirm that ..... then I'll make a trip to my BigW soon.

Quote:
The BR player that ALDI sells every know and then (Bhaun) can be made Region Free, again with a simple code, but it is definitely only 2.0 (only composite audio output... No digital optical cable).
I thought I'd give Aldi's website a go. Seems .. I'm better off just stepping into my local Aldi ... but because Aldi has specialty merchandise that comes and goes .... all the time ... I wonder if I'm just better off sticking with that BigW option .. since it's available.

Quote:
The latest "cheapy" BR player that I saw at Big W, Viviano, (or something like that) is again only 2.0 audio output, but I'm sure will have a Region Free code. The crap brands usually do.
Looking at the website for BigW .. doesn't seem anything resembling that name exists.

Quote:
As far as I know, no name brand Blu Ray players can be made Region Free in Australia through simply putting a code in. They required chip mods.
And with that important piece of information you gave me .. along with a couple others in this thread .. is something I'm going to be following here .. from here on out.

My question for the future will be - Who can I go to, to install it? And what kind of cost is involved?

Anyway ..... I appreciate everyone's input ............... If I can just get confirmation that the BigW player can in fact be changed over, easily .... then I know where I'll be driving to .. in the next couple of days.

THANK YOU!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #28

Sep 2012

http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/d...blu-ray-player

Quote:

LASER‘«÷s Blu-ray Player features guaranteed MULTI-REGION playback for Blu-ray and DVD discs, meaning you can play any disc from any country (like movies you purchase online or overseas). LASER's Blu-ray Player also comes with an industry leading 3 Year Piece of Mind warranty.
Seems too good to be true. What do some of you think?

Last edited by Awesom-O-4000; 01-15-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #29

Sep 2012
Australia

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been so helpful in this thread ..... I did go for the Laser BD1000 .. purchased at "Big W". I'll post a separate topic about it .. to give my own personal review. In essence .. it does the job. Not knowing anything about the brand .. and it's reliability ... I just hope I get a few years out of it, at least.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #30

Sep 2012

Quote:

I saw it there too. Funny ... like you .. I can't even remember the proper name - I want to say "Vavio". There were about 5 on the shelf. Same price as the Laser player - $88. 2 channel audio. But I thought I'd stick with the LASER brand. Vavio's packaging says nothing about making it region free. And LASER's ... you can have 7.1 audio through your HDMI connection.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #31

Sep 2011

Is this Blu ray player (BDX4300KY) still without an unlock option? I just bought it, have a heap of American Blu rays, and cannot play them. Very frustrated.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #32
Power Member

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_kane View Post
Is this Blu ray player (BDX4300KY) still without an unlock option? I just bought it, have a heap of American Blu rays, and cannot play them. Very frustrated.
No Sorry. Till now only the following models can be made region free by the remote hack:

Toshiba BDX1100
Toshiba BDX1105
Toshiba BDX1200
Toshiba BDX2100
Toshiba BDX3100
Toshiba BDX3200

There have been some problems reported with some films on the BDX1200 after the region hack though. So in your case you need to do a hardware Mod for your player.

For American BDs I ordered myself a cheap player from US called "Seiki". It can be made region free by simple remote hack and the good thing is that its dual voltage as well so there is no need of any converters etc and also it supports 50 and 60 Hz too so you can watch each and every American BD on your UK or European TV set. However this unit is still in transit and I still have to experience how durable it is but its the only cheap option for we Non American people who are looking for some cheap player.

Hope this helps.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)

Last edited by kashif; 03-13-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #33

Sep 2011

I live in Australia, so I will have a look into that.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #34

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
No Sorry. Till now only the following models can be made region free by the remote hack:

Toshiba BDX1100
Toshiba BDX1105
Toshiba BDX1200
Toshiba BDX2100
Toshiba BDX3100
Toshiba BDX3200

There have been some problems reported with some films on the BDX1200 after the region hack though. So in your case you need to do a hardware Mod for your player.

For American BDs I ordered myself a cheap player from US called "Seiki". It can be made region free by simple remote hack and the good thing is that its dual voltage as well so there is no need of any converters etc and also it supports 50 and 60 Hz too so you can watch each and every American BD on your UK or European TV set. However this unit is still in transit and I still have to experience how durable it is but its the only cheap option for we Non American people who are looking for some cheap player.

Hope this helps.
I just bought the Seiki today from Kmart. I hope its a decent little player for the money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #35

Sep 2011

Quote:
I bought a Soniq B100 a while ago from JB Hifi because it could be made region free DVD (and choose Region A, B or C) very easily, with a simple 4 number code and eject tray process (Just type in Soniq B100 Region Free in Google).

However, I do believe that there have been issues with some of the models. Only those Soniq B100 with boxes saying Revision B actually have "internet updates" available. (Which mine doesn't, damn' it). Which might be an issue down the track when the AACS decryption key is changed. Apparently, the Soniq B100 is having issues playing some of the later BR releases (like Star Wars). They were readily available in all stores (they had heaps of 'em), but now only appear to be available online (perhaps 'cos of the "Rev B" issue).

I have Region A South Park & The Walking Dead Blu Rays and I would like to watch Region A copies of The Walking Dead in future (Note: Only US & Canada DVD Region 1 & Blu-Ray Region A Season 1 Walking Dead copies are uncut) - Check this out for what your missing: http://www.movie-censorship.com/series.php?TID=5087

As my Soniq B100 may soon be obsolete, have issues playing newer Region A BR discs & is only 2.0 audio output... To resolve this:

I have bought a Sony BDP-S590 from the US, bought a heavy duty 240v to 120v Step Down Transformer. Hopefully this will suffice. Might be an issue in the future with the fact that Aussie electricity is 60hz (not 50hz) and may cause my transformer to run a bit hot. Buying a US Blu Ray player may be a solution to playing Region A discs.
I'm kinda confused about the 2.0 audio output? What do you mean by that?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #36
Power Member

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltymchaggis View Post
I just bought the Seiki today from Kmart. I hope its a decent little player for the money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Good to know.
"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Michael Corleone to Tom and Rocco about Roth - (The Godfather 2)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders