COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Les Misérables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #821
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddinoff View Post
...1:85 movies are like a needle in a haystack now...
and its even more saddening and frustrating to see all the old single screen theaters folding down their huge 1.85:1 screen to 2.39:1. The disadvantage to this process is that flat movies now have to be pillarboxed, with distracting black bars at the sides.

Quote:
Ive hated letterbox since the first time I saw it when I bought jurassic park on VHS as a kid and I still hate it now. "Scope" just doesn't translate at home, the supposed information that you gain on the sides is negligible and
But Jurassic Park is 1.85:1. If you have/had a 4:3 Telly, and watched the widescreen version of JP then it would naturally be letterboxed. But it shouldn't appear letterboxed in a widescreen telly, unless the source is a 4:3 signal with a letterboxed image, then it would stretch to scope in a wide TV.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #822

Jan 2007
Earth

Is it just me, or do films shot in "full-screen" ratio seem more detailed and truer to life than 2:35/40?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #823
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Is it just me, or do films shot in "full-screen" ratio seem more detailed and truer to life than 2:35/40?
It's you.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #824
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
I think your eyes are fooling you. Could be the black bars on the tv throwing off your perception but I have never noticed it.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #825

Aug 2011
Pennsylvania

Ninja 2 is 1.77:1

Prisoners is 1.78:1

*Update* 2-5-14

Justice League: War is 1.78:1

Last edited by DarkXPower; 02-05-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #826
Power Member

Jan 2010
Australia

Interesting thread. I personally prefer to see the movie exactly as the director intended the audience to see it. I will add that human eyes can see more in the horizontal direction than in vertical direction due to many factors. There is no secret why tech companies moved to widescreen. Regardless of logic or scientific evidence, it all comes down to a persons understanding and preference of what feels more comfortable and enjoyable to look at, irrespective of the facts. This will continue to change over distance and screen size, now and in the future.
FOR SALE/TRADE: US Dexter 1-7 Collection (NEW) - JP Predator head/bust movie trilogy limited to 1500 (NEW) - Walking Dead Collectors Edition 2+3 zombie head and Governor's Aquarium (NEW) WANTED: Criterion titles - The Buster Keaton Collection - Zatoichi Collection - King of Queens Collection from Germany

Yamaha YHT-994AU Home Theatre
Oppo BDP-93
55" LG Cinema 3D 55LW6500
Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #827

Jun 2007
Bay Area, CA

my deepest apologies and regrets for not keeping up and being up-to-date on this thread. I consider it my responsibility and I am failing in it. I am failing especially those of you who go out of their way to contribute. I am sorry.

I just wanted to chime in right now and say I intend to update (properly) within the next hour or two (there's so much to catch up on that it'll take at least that)....

EDIT: somethings come up and i'll update later today
Setup
TV: PN50A550 50" Samsung Plasma (original: Fujitsu 55" Plasma)
AV Receiver: Onkyo HT-R667
Speakers: Onkyo HT-S6100 7.1 setup
Cable Box: X-G1 (PX001ANM) HD DVR *not worth it!
Media Player (w/ DLNA)/Bluray/DVD/Games: 60 GB Playstation 3 & 160 GB Playstation 3

Last edited by simplepinoi177; 04-05-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #828

Jun 2007
Bay Area, CA

Hello. Again, I apologize to those who have made contributions and have not been properly thanked, credited, and shown any kind of appreciation. I actually only got a notification email last night, but there is no excuse. I let it slip and have failed you and this thread. I can only try to make up for it through this post, updating the list, and trying my best to stay on top of things (it's been a very hard year )

But there are those who have kept it going and are (long) due recognition. A distinguished acknowledgement must go to DarkXPower and HD Goofnut; these guys have made many tremendous contributions and kept this thread going and alive for so long -- it will be my biggest regret here (and my deepest hope for this to be untrue) to have lost them as contributors because of my absence and neglect. Other thanks goes to jknochel76, zippre, pacman9270, MOONPHASE, and killeru. Although it is a small thing, please accept my thanks and the appreciation of those who find/refer to the list with your contributions -- it is only as large and comprehensive because of contributors like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeru View Post
Man thanks for this list...

Here's another (good) one:

Prisoners (2013) 1.85:1
You are most welcome killeru. The only thing that keeps me going on this thread is for you and those like you who appreciate the list.

Although I don't/can't continuously or frequently post a thank you and appreciative post to a contributor right away, please know that I usually add contributions directly to the list even if it is without a proper thank you. I usually try to get to that after a certain number of contributions...

Again, I apologize, I'll try to be better, and Thank You ALL
Setup
TV: PN50A550 50" Samsung Plasma (original: Fujitsu 55" Plasma)
AV Receiver: Onkyo HT-R667
Speakers: Onkyo HT-S6100 7.1 setup
Cable Box: X-G1 (PX001ANM) HD DVR *not worth it!
Media Player (w/ DLNA)/Bluray/DVD/Games: 60 GB Playstation 3 & 160 GB Playstation 3
Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #829

Sep 2013

Quote:
Agreed, and it really sucks that 1:85 movies are like a needle in a haystack now, its never good movies either its always some stupid comedy that doesn't even benefit much from blu ray anyway in terms of striking picture quality. I just hate how it turns my 50 inch tv into a 30 inch every time I watch a blu ray, Ive hated letterbox since the first time I saw it when I bought jurassic park on VHS as a kid and I still hate it now. "Scope" just doesn't translate at home, the supposed information that you gain on the sides is negligible and
I don't mind 2:35 but the problem is that there are way too many scope films these days. Too many dramas and comedies are scope. Too many scope films ruins the novelty of scope.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #830
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMiniver View Post
I don't mind 2:35 but the problem is that there are way too many scope films these days. Too many dramas and comedies are scope. Too many scope films ruins the novelty of scope.
I disagree. Whatever the director, cinematographer, and director of photography want is what is ultimately sought after when making a film. So, whatever they all decide on is what I want to see, period.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #831

Jul 2013

And whatever anybody elses stance on things is you will always say the opposite. What if the director told you in order to experience their intended vision they needed you to smear a piece of dog sh*t in each one of your eyeballs in order to experience the full scope of their vision?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #832
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
And whatever anybody elses stance on things is you will always say the opposite. What if the director told you in order to experience their intended vision they needed you to smear a piece of dog sh*t in each one of your eyeballs in order to experience the full scope of their vision?
Then I'd probably ask him/her if they'd been talking to this rude guy online named 'noddinoff'.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #833

Aug 2011
Pennsylvania

Son of Batman is 1.77:1

Bullet to the Head is 1.77:1
Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #834

Jun 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Default Bank Job

I THOUGHT, Bank Job was part of this list, because the 4.99
blu ray version I just picked up, clearly states 16x9 format on the back of the cover. But it is no where to be found on the disc 1 as stated.

Last edited by JimboBlu; 06-21-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #835
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboBlu View Post
I THOUGHT, Bank Job was part of this list, because the 4.99
blu ray version I just picked up, clearly states 16x9 format on the back of the cover. But it is no where to be found on the disc 1 as stated.
Technically all Blu-ray's are 16:9. Any black bars, are part of the image.

It clearly states its widescreen, 2.35:1.

Last edited by Tech-UK; 06-21-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #836

Sep 2013

Blade 2
Memories Of Murder
I Saw The Devil

Thanks for this list, this is definitely my preferred aspect ratio. With 2.35:1 even full height objects look small on my projector, it's just not particularly immersive. Look at the last Batman film, the 16:9 scenes looked vastly superior. And Tron Legacy.
With films only having a short theatrical run they're mostly seen in the home, and bands of no information convey what? With more movies being shot digitally with the home in mind, hopefully the wider ratios will fade away, they simply don't match human vision.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #837

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

I'm not sure why some people are still so bothered by "black bars". I can't say I really notice them. If I watch a movie in a dark room, it looks like they are part of the screen to me.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #838
Power Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMiniver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I disagree. Whatever the director, cinematographer, and director of photography want is what is ultimately sought after when making a film. So, whatever they all decide on is what I want to see, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuk View Post
Blade 2
Memories Of Murder
I Saw The Devil

Thanks for this list, this is definitely my preferred aspect ratio. With 2.35:1 even full height objects look small on my projector, it's just not particularly immersive. Look at the last Batman film, the 16:9 scenes looked vastly superior. And Tron Legacy.
With films only having a short theatrical run they're mostly seen in the home, and bands of no information convey what? With more movies being shot digitally with the home in mind, hopefully the wider ratios will fade away, they simply don't match human vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphywmm View Post
I'm not sure why some people are still so bothered by "black bars". I can't say I really notice them. If I watch a movie in a dark room, it looks like they are part of the screen to me.
Black bars (on top/bottom or left/right sides) aren't the problem. The problem is that a lot of filmmakers are inept at using the frame, no matter the aspect ratio.
Speculation is not information.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #839

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Depnding on the type of film it is, but enjoy both 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 films.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America