Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Exodus: Gods and Kings (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (Blu-ray)
$18.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #1841

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
The only thing it gets right is the gore. Everything else is wrong for an Evil Dead movie. There's a distinct lack of the energy and creativity that marked all three of Raimi's films, the "Deadites" are straight out of an Exorcist movie, and the "Necronomicon" looks like a high school metalhead's study hall notebook.

As a gore movie with two-dimensional characters getting killed in over-the-top fashion, it's fine. But it's not an Evil Dead movie, in my book.
I think you perfectly summed up the remake. It's not an Evil Dead movie, it's (as you called it) a gore movie with two dimensional characters.....

To me, the remake is a perfect example of why there shouldn't be remakes / reboots. Remakes / reboots so often miss the best qualities of the original film. And in the case of the remake, it completely missed the wit, creativity, originality, and style of the original film, in essence, all of the things that have made the original film such an enduring classic.

“There are thirty-two ways to write a story, and I’ve used every one, but there is only one plot – things are not as they seem.”

― Jim Thompson
Thanks given by:
Davidian (03-24-2015), Joshinator1989 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #1842
Power Member

Oct 2012
WI, USA

The original movie's characters are absolutely two dimensional, Bruce Campbell (god love him) is SO bad in that movie, his only character traits are being a terrible actor and being a wimp. He's a pure cartoon character, and the other three are less laughably bad of actors but have even less-defined personalities. No one really has a personality until the second movie.

I prefer the first movie to the second, by the way, so I don't think it's a PROBLEM that they are two dimensional, I just don't get how you can use that as a major problem with the remake when the first was at least as shallow. Ah well. The remake is worth watching if you haven't seen it; clearly most people think it is nothing in comparison, but I think there's a lot to like there.
Thanks given by:
EvilResident (03-27-2015), GasmaskAvenger (03-24-2015), JackKnightStarman (03-24-2015), lolwut (03-24-2015), TripleHBK (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 AM   #1843
Power Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

The remake of evil dead is in my opinion the best of all the modern remakes. Sure it's not evil dead or evil dead 2 but nothing is. The bluray finds its way to my player fairly often, I've probably watched it 4 times since it was released. Which is far more then I watch most of my other modern horror movies. I liked that it went for strait horror like the orignal evil dead (which is my favorite in the series.) and stayed away from some of the sillyness shown in evil dead 2 and a much greater extend in army of darkness. There was no chance of recreating the vibe of evil dead 2 and I'm glad they didn't try.
Thanks given by:
GasmaskAvenger (03-24-2015), TripleHBK (03-25-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #1844
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I think you perfectly summed up the remake. It's not an Evil Dead movie, it's (as you called it) a gore movie with two dimensional characters.....

To me, the remake is a perfect example of why there shouldn't be remakes / reboots. Remakes / reboots so often miss the best qualities of the original film. And in the case of the remake, it completely missed the wit, creativity, originality, and style of the original film, in essence, all of the things that have made the original film such an enduring classic.
Some of the best movies made are remakes.
Epson 5020UB, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver, NAD M25 amp, Oppo bdp-93, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm ADP-590 v5, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #1845

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
I absolutely love the remake. It's relentlessly intense and insanely gory. People forget that the original wasn't a comedy either. Part 2 was a horror comedy (a perfect balance), and Army of Darkness was more comedy than horror. I respect the original and love part 2 but this took the series back to its shocking, scary roots instead of the watered down direction it was heading.
Completely agree. Although Raimi's 3 original Evil Deads are among my favorite movies of all time, I LOVED this remake/reboot. It nails what the Evil Dead films are supposed to be: dark, gory, and most of all, fun. For me, it ranks alongside The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead as the best recent horror remakes. Horror comedies are too frequent nowadays and with varying levels of success, so I'm very happy that the filmmakers when the straight-up horror route for Evil Dead 2013.
Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #1846
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:

It seems like a lot of people don't consider it an Evil Dead movie, but as mentioned earlier by me and someone else it's more of an Evil Dead movie than Army of Darkness. Also mentioned by someone else is the characterization, it's ironic the remake is slated for having two-dimensional characters when it has more character development than the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack View Post
The remake of evil dead is in my opinion the best of all the modern remakes. Sure it's not evil dead or evil dead 2 but nothing is. The bluray finds its way to my player fairly often, I've probably watched it 4 times since it was released. Which is far more then I watch most of my other modern horror movies. I liked that it went for strait horror like the orignal evil dead (which is my favorite in the series.) and stayed away from some of the sillyness shown in evil dead 2 and a much greater extend in army of darkness. There was no chance of recreating the vibe of evil dead 2 and I'm glad they didn't try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Some of the best movies made are remakes.
Agreed, what about The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, 3:10 to Yuma, Insomnia, The Departed, True Grit, The Ring...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides...ars_50_movies/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
Completely agree. Although Raimi's 3 original Evil Deads are among my favorite movies of all time, I LOVED this remake/reboot. It nails what the Evil Dead films are supposed to be: dark, gory, and most of all, fun. For me, it ranks alongside The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead as the best recent horror remakes. Horror comedies are too frequent nowadays and with varying levels of success, so I'm very happy that the filmmakers when the straight-up horror route for Evil Dead 2013.
I'd put it above The Hills Have Eyes remake and on par with Dawn of the Dead, both of which I own and have watched many times.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #1847

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

Quote:
It seems like a lot of people don't consider it an Evil Dead movie, but as mentioned earlier by me and someone else it's more of an Evil Dead movie than Army of Darkness. Also mentioned by someone else is the characterization, it's ironic the remake is slated for having two-dimensional characters when it has more character development than the original.

Agreed, what about The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, 3:10 to Yuma, Insomnia, The Departed, True Grit, The Ring...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides...ars_50_movies/
The Thing, The Fly, 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit...all great. Scarface...DePalma hasn't made a decent flick since Dressed to Kill. The others? are not remakes. Just foreign films adapted for american audiences...
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #1848

Oct 2009
Ohio

Evil Dead was a very good movie and a remake. Hope they have a another one with Jane Levy in it. The PQ on the Blu-Ray is outstanding. I think it could be demo worthy.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #1849

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
That's an interesting interpretation about what the films are "supposed" to be. I would think the films are supposed to reflect Raimi's vision as reflected by the three films that he made. I would hardly call them "dark", and if they were supposed to be gory, then "gory" in the sense of over-top gore that is absurd and humorous, rather then gory in the obvious sense. I don't see how the remake reflects what the Evil Dead films are supposed to be, since the remake bears little resemblance to Raimi's vision and sensibilities as creator of the Evil Dead series.

“There are thirty-two ways to write a story, and I’ve used every one, but there is only one plot – things are not as they seem.”

― Jim Thompson
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #1850

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

Quote:
That's an interesting interpretation about what the films are "supposed" to be. I would think the films are supposed to reflect Raimi's vision as reflected by the three films that he made. I would hardly call them "dark", and if they were supposed to be gory, then "gory" in the sense of over-top gore that is absurd and humorous, rather then gory in the obvious sense. I don't see how the remake reflects what the Evil Dead films are supposed to be, since the remake bears little resemblance to Raimi's vision and sensibilities as creator of the Evil Dead series.
I think "over the top" is a accurate account. You have to remember the original was banned thirty years ago. It looks tame by comparison the further you get away from that era.
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 AM   #1851

May 2014

Quote:
I think it absolutely reflects Raimi's vision. He did produce the film after all. The original film was meant to be "the ultimate experience in grueling terror" and that's what it and the remake are: thrilling roller coaster horror rides. I couldn't be more pleased with the film. It doesn't have Ash, sure, but he isn't really even the Ash that we know and love until Evil Dead 2 anyway.
Thanks given by:
Blu Myers (03-25-2015), lolwut (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:18 AM   #1852
Power Member

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
The first one definitely has a lot of scenes that don't strike me as humorous in any way. Like, the part where the witch is screaming and gets stabbed in the back and is bleeding everywhere seems to be pretty straightforward horror to me. It's when you get closer to the end and Ash gets hit in the face with blood over and over and over and over again that it starts really getting to the point where it's funny. I think it was meant to be shocking and gross, but not to like...depress people, if that makes any sense.

I think the remake is much the same way, and I think that bathroom scene contains several gags that are so insanely gross that SOMEONE involved in the creation of them clearly meant them to be blackly humorous in the same way as the repeated blood in the face in the original. I think what confuses the issue is that the original movie had really kinetic camerawork and a DIY sort of feel to it which made the whole enterprise feel..."friendlier," if that's the word for it. The new one, unfortunately, has been given the same kind of computer-recoloring to suck the color and life out of the picture and make it look DARK and EDGY as every other modern horror remake. It seems like the writers understood the spirit of the original, and the people on the technical side of things didn't, if that makes sense. I still like it!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #1853
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Army of Darkness has Raimi's trademark energy and creativity. It has Deadites who don't act as if they are in an Exorcist movie. It has a Necronomicon that doesn't look like a metalhead teenager's high school notebook.

And while the remake script has some character development, the film as released begs the question, why are half these characters in this movie, other than to be killed? The girlfriend of the group's biggest skeptic, who inexplicably becomes the first to believe in the demons, may as well be an actual cardboard cutout of a girl.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #1854
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:
Army of Darkness has Raimi's trademark energy and creativity. It has Deadites who don't act as if they are in an Exorcist movie. It has a Necronomicon that doesn't look like a metalhead teenager's high school notebook.
The remake had lots of energy as well, at least if energy = fast-paced. The other things seem like nitpicks to me.

Quote:
And while the remake script has some character development, the film as released begs the question, why are half these characters in this movie, other than to be killed? The girlfriend of the group's biggest skeptic, who inexplicably becomes the first to believe in the demons, may as well be an actual cardboard cutout of a girl.
Yeah, her character was underdeveloped to say the least. But I feel like you could say the same about the characters in the original as well.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #1855
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
The remake had lots of energy as well, at least if energy = fast-paced. The other things seem like nitpicks to me.
The fact that the Necronomicon looks nothing like the Necronomicon, and the Deadites act nothing like Deadites is a nitpick? If Jason Voorhees showed up in the Friday the 13th remake wearing a chicken mask and singing showtunes, I guess it would be a nitpick to say "That's not Jason?" haha

And when I say "energy," what I'm talking about is Raimi's energy and creativity as a filmmaker. The first Evil Dead actually doesn't move at a particular fast paced. But it is boundlessly energetic in its execution.

Point is, while the tone of the original Evil Dead trilogy varies wildly, there is a continuity of technique that runs through all three films. The remake does not look like an Evil Dead film, sound like an Evil Dead film, or have the spontaneous, infectious energy that Sam Raimi brought to the original trilogy. The remake Deadites aren't Deadites, the remake Necronomicon isn't the Necronomicon, and to me, that means that the remake just isn't an Evil Dead movie. It's just a run-of-the-mill splatter movie that trades on the Evil Dead name.

Quote:
Yeah, her character was underdeveloped to say the least. But I feel like you could say the same about the characters in the original as well.
The characters in the original at least had personalities, and served various functions of the story beyond standing around waiting to get murdered. That character is just there in the remake. In the script, she seemed like a decent character. In the movie, she's not even a character. She's just a placeholder for a mangled corpse.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #1856
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack View Post
I also enjoyed the remake I'm glad it was like Evil Dead and not like the sequel which was a bit silly at times.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/COD Advance Warfare/The Evil Within/Sunset Overdrive/The Master Chief Collection/Assassin Creed Unity/Far Cry 4/Dying Light
Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #1857
Power Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
The fact that the Necronomicon looks nothing like the Necronomicon, and the Deadites act nothing like Deadites is a nitpick? If Jason Voorhees showed up in the Friday the 13th remake wearing a chicken mask and singing showtunes, I guess it would be a nitpick to say "That's not Jason?" haha

And when I say "energy," what I'm talking about is Raimi's energy and creativity as a filmmaker. The first Evil Dead actually doesn't move at a particular fast paced. But it is boundlessly energetic in its execution.

Point is, while the tone of the original Evil Dead trilogy varies wildly, there is a continuity of technique that runs through all three films. The remake does not look like an Evil Dead film, sound like an Evil Dead film, or have the spontaneous, infectious energy that Sam Raimi brought to the original trilogy. The remake Deadites aren't Deadites, the remake Necronomicon isn't the Necronomicon, and to me, that means that the remake just isn't an Evil Dead movie. It's just a run-of-the-mill splatter movie that trades on the Evil Dead name.

The characters in the original at least had personalities, and served various functions of the story beyond standing around waiting to get murdered. That character is just there in the remake. In the script, she seemed like a decent character. In the movie, she's not even a character. She's just a placeholder for a mangled corpse.

Raimi didn't direct the remake so of course it's not going to feel like a Sam Raimi movie. It's also not a low budget movie from the 70s or 80s so it's not going to look like it is. the necronomicon changes from the first evil dead to the second. I enjoyed the look of the necronomicon in the remake. Deadite behavior also changes a lot from movie to movie. There is no set in stone rules of behavior for being a deadite.
Thanks given by:
lolwut (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #1858
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:

Yeah, I think they're nitpicks and not as egregious as Jason wearing a chicken mask and singing show tunes.

I'm not sure what you mean for a film to be energetic in execution but not particularly fast-paced. Like dynamic, lots of camera angles?

Of course the remake isn't going to have Sam Raimi's "energy" or technique, or look and sound like the original trilogy, because he didn't direct it. It's also not going to look and sound like it because it was made decades later. Would you have been happier if the director had emulated Raimi's style, or would you have called it a ripoff? I'd much rather watch a director doing his own thing than copying someone else.

Obviously it has more in common with the Evil Dead series than just its name.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (03-29-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America