Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.98
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.89
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Hot Pursuit (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #641
Power Member

Aug 2013
'London Zoo' (Uk)

here hoping they do at some point then
Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #642

Nov 2011
New York DomesticDigibooks.............88 ForeignDigibooks..................8

It on Amazon now for $43.99. Never watched the series but I love Star Trek, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica.

Worth picking up?

Cheers,
CC-
Top 10 Favorite Movies in No Particular Order: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother, Spider-Man 2, Young Frankenstein, Some Like It Hot, Shaolin Soccer, Ben-Hur, Fist of Legend, Star Trek

Current Setup:
Samsung UN55D8000
OPPO BDP-103
Bose V35 HTS
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #643
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincarl View Post
It on Amazon now for $43.99. Never watched the series but I love Star Trek, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica.

Worth picking up?

Cheers,
CC-
Well worth it, it's a great sci-fi series.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old 06-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #644
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincarl View Post
Worth picking up?
It's not like me to disagree with chip, but I'd say it really depends on how big a Stargate fan you are.

I bought it, have watched it once, and have no urge to ever watch it again. I reckon it's a seriously undercooked show, that sets up a couple of interesting ideas but then mostly rests on the laurels of its parent show and just treads water until its time runs out.

It seems a lot of people are happy to buy sets like these just to watch them in high quality and then sell them on, so on that score I'd have to say this is barely HD. Technically, there's nothing remarkable about it. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it of being an upscale.

I'm sure lots of people will disagree with me, though, on both counts.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #645

Nov 2011
New York DomesticDigibooks.............88 ForeignDigibooks..................8

Thanks for the feedback gents!

Cheers,
CC-
Top 10 Favorite Movies in No Particular Order: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother, Spider-Man 2, Young Frankenstein, Some Like It Hot, Shaolin Soccer, Ben-Hur, Fist of Legend, Star Trek

Current Setup:
Samsung UN55D8000
OPPO BDP-103
Bose V35 HTS
Old 06-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #646
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
It's not like me to disagree with chip, but I'd say it really depends on how big a Stargate fan you are.
I'm a very big Stargate fan!

Quote:
I bought it, have watched it once, and have no urge to ever watch it again. I reckon it's a seriously undercooked show, that sets up a couple of interesting ideas but then mostly rests on the laurels of its parent show and just treads water until its time runs out.
I somewhat agree with that, Atlantis has some great episodes, but it doesn't have the rerun value of SG-1, your enjoyment basically comes down to how much you like the leads and their camaraderie to get through the lesser episodes, that's true of SG-1 as well.

Quote:
It seems a lot of people are happy to buy sets like these just to watch them in high quality and then sell them on, so on that score I'd have to say this is barely HD. Technically, there's nothing remarkable about it. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it of being an upscale.
Stargate has never looked particularly good in HD, the original series' first three seasons where shot in 16mm and the rest 35mm. I'm not sure what Atlantis was filmed on but it ended up on HD tape as far as I know. As a DVD to Blu-ray upgrade it's passable, I think the effects have been up-scaled either from 720p to 1080p or SD to HD I can never quite remember. The Blu-rays improve on the DVDs, but they're not going to blow anyone away. There just isn't a lot of fine detail in the HD image. I've always cautioned people that own the DVDs to wait for a great deal before upgrading.

As a purchase it's still good value for less than $9 a season it's a nice set to have.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #647

Sep 2012

If you watch for a Foxconnect 50% off sale you can get each season for about $7 ea., I was able to get them at that price a few months ago.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #648
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Stargate has never looked particularly good in HD, the original series' first three seasons where shot in 16mm and the rest 35mm. I'm not sure what Atlantis was filmed on but it ended up on HD tape as far as I know.
SG-1 seasons 1 - 3 were shot on 16mm as you say, and seasons 4 - 7 (and the season 3 finale) were 35mm. Seasons 8 - 10, as well as all of Atlantis was shot on HD video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
As a DVD to Blu-ray upgrade it's passable, I think the effects have been up-scaled either from 720p to 1080p or SD to HD I can never quite remember.
I believe the effects shots are upscaled from SD, but not for the entire series. I don't know when the switch occured, but IIRC the later episodes look better than the early ones.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #649
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013
Staffordshire, UK

From memory, I think it was only the first season of SGA that had VFX rendered in SD.

SGA works better as a show in its own right, rather than viewing it as a lesser partner show for SG1.
I aim to misbehave....
Old 06-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #650
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Pig View Post
SG-1 seasons 1 - 3 were shot on 16mm as you say, and seasons 4 - 7 (and the season 3 finale) were 35mm. Seasons 8 - 10, as well as all of Atlantis was shot on HD video.

I believe the effects shots are upscaled from SD, but not for the entire series. I don't know when the switch occured, but IIRC the later episodes look better than the early ones.
Thanks, I forgot to mention they switched at season eight. I think if they ever do BDs the first seven years will look slightly superior to the last few!

If I remember effects-shots were shot on 35mm (with regards to Stargate SG-1) as well for the early seasons, but I assume that was practical effects? as the CGI was in standard definition.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 AM   #651

May 2014
Florida

I'd be thrilled if they ever put SG-1 Seasons 1-7 on BD. The rest are OK but I was much more into it when Jack O'Neill was a regular part of the cast. Still I'd buy them all on BD for sure. I doubt if we get that lucky though. Looks like I'll be keeping my DVD sets for a long time.

And, if you're listening....If you're going to do it, do it right. Make a badass transfer that's jaw dropping! I'll preorder first day!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #652

Aug 2013
TN

So, this was recently $43, now its at $70, and the site has today's higher price tagged as "lowest price". What gives?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #653
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman slim View Post
So, this was recently $43, now its at $70, and the site has today's higher price tagged as "lowest price". What gives?
I think certain deals, whether they're time-sensitive or special offers, don't always register as the lowest price. But you'd still get an alert with your price-tracker.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America