Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
47 Ronin (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Opera (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Tom Jones (Blu-ray)
$30.37
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.20
The Silence of the Lambs (Blu-ray)
$30.37
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #101
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
**** all the major studios who are putting up cash for great remasters of old movies, only to convert them to 3D and sell them again. But then they say "**** you if you don't have 3D, we'll include a 2D version, of the old bullshit transfer". Paramount and Universal both have done this in the last month or so (Jurassic Park). Please don't buy this shit, don't justify their horrible practices. Let these ****ing discs rot on the shelves until studios start caring about us ****ing customers. Worst new practice ever.
Uhh...if you want the 3D version, this is the only way to get it. For those who only want 2D, this is not the release for you. So your idea of "not buying this shit" doesn't really work in this case.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Naperville, IL

Well, I cancelled my preorder.I think I can wait for a cheaper used copy from gohastings.
Obsessed film-loving GIRL :)
<<< Rhett, my film-loving pup (aptly named)!

Theatre Room:
Sony HW40 Projector & 92" Silver Ticket Screen
Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones, NXG BAS-500 12" Sub
TV #2: Panasonic ST60 60" w/Energy Take Classic 5.1
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #103
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Uhh...if you want the 3D version, this is the only way to get it. For those who only want 2D, this is not the release for you. So your idea of "not buying this shit" doesn't really work in this case.
I know this and hate it. I'm just saying if everyone did not buy them and let the studios know exactly why, then maybe we could stop this practice before it gets out of hand. It's for all of us who want a remaster but don't have 3D set-ups. If the have a remaster that looks good, but only sell a disc that looks like shit to the majority of people, we shouldn't stand for it. Unfortunately my *****ing won't stop anyone who wants these 3D versions from buying them. I just wish it could.
I'm not gonna go get a new TV, BD player and all the fixings just to get a couple better transfers. It's cheap of the studios to do this to most of the blu-ray buying public. I would guess well under 30% of blu-ray player owners are 3D ready at this point, many are just finally making the jump to HD at all.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #104
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I know this and hate it. I'm just saying if everyone did not buy them and let the studios know exactly why, then maybe we could stop this practice before it gets out of hand. It's for all of us who want a remaster but don't have 3D set-ups. If the have a remaster that looks good, but only sell a disc that looks like shit to the majority of people, we shouldn't stand for it. Unfortunately my *****ing won't stop anyone who wants these 3D versions from buying them. I just wish it could.
I'm not gonna go get a new TV, BD player and all the fixings just to get a couple better transfers. It's cheap of the studios to do this to most of the blu-ray buying public. I would guess well under 30% of blu-ray player owners are 3D ready at this point, many are just finally making the jump to HD at all.
The 3D release of Top Gun, is not even a native 3D presentation, it's a conversion! The first 2D blu-ray release of Top Gun still looks very good, without the gimmicky 3D effects. IMHO, any 2D movie, converted into 3D theatrically, or on blu-ray, will always be inferior to the 2D in my book because, it's not the way the film was originally made.

Last edited by slimdude; 02-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #105

Aug 2011
Southampton UK

What I hate the most is they have u-turned on what they have stated at every press release... The 3D and 2D in this new release would be the remastered version.

This is now not the case, from reviews so for those of us who were planning on buying just for the new 2D version and paying the extra for the privilege this is not cool!!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #106
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCell View Post
What I hate the most is they have u-turned on what they have stated at every press release... The 3D and 2D in this new release would be the remastered version.

This is now not the case, from reviews so for those of us who were planning on buying just for the new 2D version and paying the extra for the privilege this is not cool!!
Don't say I didn't warn ya.

If you want to complain...feel free to yell at Paramount. Or get Bill Hunt's attention. He's usually good at getting an answer.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #107
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:

Some people have to start using common sense, and stop being naive. There was nothing wrong with Paramount's first Top Gun blu-ray release at all. The A/V quality was exceptional, and had 2 lossless audio sountracks on the same disc, and copious of special features. It didn't needed to remastered.

Last edited by slimdude; 02-05-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #108
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
There was nothing wrong with Paramount's first Top Gun blu-ray release at all.
You mean aside from the glaring DNR?
Quote:
The A/V quality was exceptional
No, it really wasn't.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #109

Aug 2011
Southampton UK

Quote:
Some people have to start using common sense, and stop being naive. There was nothing wrong with Paramount's first Top Gun blu-ray release at all. The A/V quality was exceptional, and had 2 lossless audio sountracks on the same disc, and copious of special features. It didn't needed to remastered. The only difference is the inclusion of the 3D version.
Not sure what you think is naive about this, they have given the public information and we have used said information to decided on making a purchase.

With regards to there being nothing wrong with Paramounts previous releases, really not sure what you have been watching but the 2007HD-DVD, 2008 and the newest release in 2011 are all the same master and very poor PQ when you compare some other 80s classics which have had the time and attention to clean up the dirt, hair and dust specs that are present in all versions released thus far.

Yes the audio was banging and I complement them on that side of the BDs and that is all I can give them.

If they have gone to the effort of cleaning up and remastering why only press the 3D disc why not press the 2D disc?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #110
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
You mean aside from the glaring DNR?

No, it really wasn't.
What blu-ray movie doesn't have a little video enhancement applied, and the DNR in Top Gun wasn't that excessive. I truly believe certain blu-ray enthusiast, who're anal, deliberately look for flaws, just to have something to complain about. They're never satisfied. Why bother wasting your money, and buy blu-ray movies at all? Go back to DVDs.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #111
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
What blu-ray movie doesn't have a little video enhancement applied
The good ones.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #112
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Not sure what you think is naive about this, they have given the public information and we have used said information to decided on making a purchase.

With regards to there being nothing wrong with Paramounts previous releases, really not sure what you have been watching but the 2007HD-DVD, 2008 and the newest release in 2011 are all the same master and very poor PQ when you compare some other 80s classics which have had the time and attention to clean up the dirt, hair and dust specs that are present in all versions released thus far.
Then you'll be complaining about DNR, and edge enhancement.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #113

Aug 2011
Southampton UK

Quote:
Then you'll be complaining about DNR, and edge enhancement.
Telling me what I will be complaining about is not really a successful retort.

The majority of people are in the same opinion as I with regards to the overall quality of the previous releases of Top Gun.

Wanting a remastered edition is not asking for much especially considering they have gone and remastered it anyway, so again my question is why only a 3D remaster?

Or are we likely to get a 2D version of the remaster later down the road?

These are questions we should be asking and expecting answers to.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #114
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:

Wanting a remastered edition is not asking for much especially considering they have gone and remastered it anyway, so again my question is why only a 3D remaster?

Or are we likely to get a 2D version of the remaster later down the road?

These are questions we should be asking and expecting answers to.
Because the studio are trying to coerce the consumer(s) to rebuy in 3D, if they want the remastered version, only for the sake of doubling their profit, from consumers who've already purchased the previous 2D blu-ray release. Since Paramount already released Top Gun twice on blu-ray, I doubt very much, they're going to release it again. They may, or they may not, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Paramount used strategy! They killed two birds with one stone. Instead of remastering the 2D version, they chose to remaster only the newly 3D release, which would've been more economical on their behalf.

Last edited by slimdude; 02-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #115

Jun 2012
-
-

Quote:
**** all the major studios who are putting up cash for great remasters of old movies, only to convert them to 3D and sell them again. But then they say "**** you if you don't have 3D, we'll include a 2D version, of the old bullshit transfer". Paramount and Universal both have done this in the last month or so (Jurassic Park). Please don't buy this shit, don't justify their horrible practices. Let these ****ing discs rot on the shelves until studios start caring about us ****ing customers. Worst new practice ever.
You said it, amigo
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #116

Aug 2011
Southampton UK

Quote:
Because the studio are trying to coerce the consumer(s) to rebuy in 3D, if they want the remastered version, only for the sake of doubling their profit, from consumers who've already purchased the previous 2D blu-ray release. Since Paramount already released Top Gun twice on blu-ray, I doubt very much, they're going to release it again. They may, or they may not, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Not sure why they would have to coerce the consumer, we can see a lot of people were planning a double dip and higher price to get the 3D set just so they could get a remaster in 2D.

Having Top Gun in 3D is certainly not going to persuade/coerce me or many others to go out and buy new TVs and/or BD players.

They already are releasing it again, and have done the work on remastering already so this is the third BD release and the fourth HD release but the first remaster, the original transfer was not cleaned up, they only used software based enhancements.

Edit: I see you added some, the remaster was done using the original 2D print as there was no 3D. The process is scan each frame from original reels/prints, clean up images make alterations, at this point you have a remastered digital copy, from here you then have a standard 2D remaster and can then work on making it 3D.

The extra cost to Paramount is pressing two sets of BDs, but this can be offset by price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by OLDCell; 02-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #117
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

I don't understand why Paramount haven't just used the AVC encode and put that on a seperate disc, or allowed it to be played back on 2D only players. All 3D is, is an additional stream provided by MVC, a AVC encode still has to be there.

Or am I missing something?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #118
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

I suspect the people who do this stuff over there are just dopes, and don't realize the new transfer isn't just a 3D equivalent of the old transfer.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #119
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I guess this means that I can go buy the existing Top Gun version now, since I've been waiting. Cool.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #120
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Not sure why they would have to coerce the consumer, we can see a lot of people were planning a double dip and higher price to get the 3D set just so they could get a remaster in 2D.
And Paramount realize this, which is exactly the reason why they did it. It's nothing but a marketing ploy, and the consumers are falling right into their trap. The studios know what they're doing, they're in business to make money.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America