New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Broken Sword Hero $8.59 (46% claimed)
Now: Railroad Tigers $8.64 (3 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Cars (Blu-ray)
$6.66
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Everest 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mother! 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Snow White and the Huntsman 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 03-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Banned

Apr 2007
Default Blu-ray not as impressive anymore.

When I first watched blu-ray my jaw hit the ground at the quality. I just couldn't get over how clear it was. I bought movies sometimes just to get that awesome blu-ray experience. Well, 56 blu-rays later, the feeling is gone. I now buy movies simply for the movie, not for PQ or AQ or extras or anything else, just the movie and thats how it should be.

I watched No Country for Old Men last night and wasn't that impressed with the quality. The PQ and AQ were good, but I wasn't as impressed as I was with POTC 2. By no means am I saying POTC 2 has better quality than NCFOM, I just wasn't as floored and impressed as I was when I saw POTC 2.

When I watched POTC 2 the quality seemed above and beyond what I was used to with a few blus and a lot of upconverted DVDs/cable. Now, No Country just seems a tad above the standard, which now is blu-ray instead of upconversion/cable. I watch the movie for the movie and don't even care about the detail anymore. The only time I care about detail anymore is when its not blu-ray and then it is just this Anybody else feeling this way.

The difference was before, I would go over to a friends house with a SDTV, say to myself this is the standard, and I have above the standard (HDTV). His doesn't look bad, mine just looks really good. Now I see myself thinking that HDTV is the standard and my friends are all below the standard. Mine looks average, his (SDTV) looks bad.

This was all triggered by a Spring Break without HD. I litterly would rub my eyes every minute if I was playing a game or watching SDTV because I kept thinking my contacts were fogging up. I just couldn't get over how bad everything looked. I came home watched 2 digital flicks at the theaters (Juno and Horton) and just thought, thank god im back to what I'm used to (a standard which is now HD).
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #2

Feb 2008
Breckenridge Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstar1138 View Post
When I first watched blu-ray my jaw hit the ground at the quality. I just couldn't get over how clear it was. I bought movies sometimes just to get that awesome blu-ray experience. Well, 56 blu-rays later, the feeling is gone. I now buy movies simply for the movie, not for PQ or AQ or extras or anything else, just the movie and thats how it should be.

I watched No Country for Old Men last night and wasn't that impressed with the quality. The PQ and AQ were good, but I wasn't as impressed as I was with POTC 2. By no means am I saying POTC 2 has better quality than NCFOM, I just wasn't as floored and impressed as I was when I saw POTC 2.

When I watched POTC 2 the quality seemed above and beyond what I was used to with a few blus and a lot of upconverted DVDs/cable. Now, No Country just seems a tad above the standard, which now is blu-ray instead of upconversion/cable. I watch the movie for the movie and don't even care about the detail anymore. The only time I care about detail anymore is when its not blu-ray and then it is just this Anybody else feeling this way.

The difference was before, I would go over to a friends house with a SDTV, say to myself this is the standard, and I have above the standard (HDTV). His doesn't look bad, mine just looks really good. Now I see myself thinking that HDTV is the standard and my friends are all below the standard. Mine looks average, his (SDTV) looks bad.

This was all triggered by a Spring Break without HD. I litterly would rub my eyes every minute if I was playing a game or watching SDTV because I kept thinking my contacts were fogging up. I just couldn't get over how bad everything looked. I came home watched 2 digital flicks at the theaters (Juno and Horton) and just thought, thank god im back to what I'm used to (a standard which is now HD).
it doesnt have the wow factor, but i still buy blu ray because sd dvd looks like garbage. NCFOM i thought looked good. but it is a different style movie from POTC. they have a different wow factor to them. No country wasnt meant to impress with bad ass cgi.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #3

Dec 2007
East Coast
Send a message via AIM to Pellaeon Send a message via Yahoo to Pellaeon

Same thing happened to me with HDTV. I think we just get to accepting HD as norm over time. I now hate to watch SDTV and DVD.
Blu Ray Player: Sony BDP-S350/Oppo83/PS3 60GB
HDTV: 57H83 Toshiba RPTV 57"
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Remote: Harmony 890
7.1 Basement Set Up Speakers (Athena .1)
Back Rear Side L/R: AS-B1 x 2
Back L/R: AS-R1 (bipole); Front L/R AS-F1 x 2
Center: AS-C1; Sub: AS-P400
Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Macon Georgia

What's going on with you Stockstar is that you have become a true Hi-Def snob. It happened to me over the Christmas holidays, Going over my family members' house and look at these atrocious (and small) 32 inch SDTV's with your run of the mill DVD was irritating to me. Even the ones with HDTV's, they were still chilling with the same ole DVD which looks worse because of the fact I know what a Blu-ray can do on a TV that's 1080i. I will tell you this that every now and again you will run across a movie that will still knock your socks off with it's quality, but it happens less than when we first started out buying Blu-ray.

Last edited by Blu As Hell; 03-18-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: WTF was I doin' I can't spell for sh*t.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2007

I guess Blu is like an addiction.
We are constantly looking for that next High-Def high.
Hoping that each new release will look/sound better
than the previous ones.

I have that sickness too.
Sony Playstation 3 10 Games
Sony Bravia 46 XBR
Sony BDP-S301
Panasonic 42 Plasma
Bose Surround
125+ Blu-Ray Movies
Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

It is like anything else, after a while you get used to things and they become less appealing. It happens when you buy a car, an electronic appliance, or get a new girl. You can get used to it, and take things for granted. However, you will miss it, if it were gone.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Expert Member

Oct 2007
Georgia

I still watch SD TV regularly and don't have an HD TV receiver..so the wow factor is still there for me when I watch a Blu-ray movie of high caliber.

Try watching normal DVDs and SD TV and then go back to Blu-ray/
-Sony XBR 850D 65" HDR 4K TV
-Samsung UBD-K8500 4K player
-Sony STR-DH770 Receiver
-Definitive Tech. Pro1000 FL/FR--Mythos GEMXL RL/RR
-Definitive Tech. 2002 Center
-Definitive Supercube II Sub.(5.1 Channel setup)
Format War Veteran:
*Blu-blooded since October 26, 2007*
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Expert Member

Mar 2007
Dallas, Texas
Send a message via AIM to sardaukar1977

I agree, the WOW factor is gone for me too. My parents sometimes invite me over to watch a movie in SD, and I will, but I keep having to bite my tongue and not tell them how horrible the movie looks. This at least makes me appreciate HD again, but then I get used to it again. I guess I have become an HD snob. I absolutely detest SD. I guess its like the first time you fall in love, you can never get that feeling back again.
"REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD. IT IS VERY COLD IN SPACE..."

COLLECTION PHOTO
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=100_3425.jpg
Old 03-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Like the others, I also feel the wow factor has waned but I'm still quite happy watching the movies I like on BD because I see/hear more quality than SD.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

With me the "wow factor" isn't as strong as before, simply because I've gotten used to high def.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2007

Keep in mind though that it's not just us being spoiled by it.

The studios really do need to raise the bar as well.
It's really a matter of how much money/time they want to spend
remastering them for Blu.
Sony Playstation 3 10 Games
Sony Bravia 46 XBR
Sony BDP-S301
Panasonic 42 Plasma
Bose Surround
125+ Blu-Ray Movies
Old 03-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Jan 2006

I can't judge on the picture quality of POTC2 because I was all the time rolling my eyes at its stupidity.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Macon Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
I can't judge on the picture quality of POTC2 because I was all the time rolling my eyes at its stupidity.
Hey, Hey, Hey, remember we are not looking at that movie for Oscar winning, perfomances, direction, or writing. It's just good ole fashion, stupid, dumb....wait a minute....nevermind.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNeon View Post
It is like anything else, after a while you get used to things and they become less appealing. It happens when you buy a car, an electronic appliance, or get a new girl. You can get used to it, and take things for granted. However, you will miss it, if it were gone.
How true. Even the latest 3.80 firmware update for my Sony BDP-s300 didn't excite me as usual. Then again, it was a hit and a miss because some movies loaded faster, and some slower.

Blu-ray has promped me to buy some movies I never liked enough to get on DVD because the PQ and audio just made it so much more desireable. But I know what I want and refuse to fill the void with lesser titles in anticipation.
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882
Old 03-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2008

Standard definition was in desperate need of an upgrade for far too long. Especially the NTSC format. Moving from Australia to US, I really noticed the NTSC DVDs to have less vibrant colors (3.58Mhz colorburst on NTSC, and 4.43Mhz on PAL) NTSC also appeared to have a flyscreen effect compared to PAL. 1080p is finally here (worldwide), but definately long overdue. Hopefully there will be a higher bandwidth, higher bitrate cable, satellite and over the air 1080p broadcasts soon (with AVCHD codec).
Old 03-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2007

I like the movies in FULL HD. What I mean is not just the PQ but having lossless audio lets you EXPERIENCE the movie. You dont get that with SD.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Just remember how you felt with your first DVDs, and how good it was compared to VHS.
Superior resolution (480vs 250ish), clear picture, no jaggies, no color crossing and stuff like that.
In component, it was bliss.

Now, 10 years later, look at you

10 years from now, you might just be talking about Blu Ray like that hehe.

This being aid, it is ineviable. Blu Ry HD is to become the new standard by which we judge things, and until now DVD was it. Things change

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Just drop a DVD in the drive and watch it for a few...
Then, drop a BD in there.

Go get a good CGI movie(The Wild/Cars/Ratatouille) and watch that.

While I still root through the $5.99 DVD bin and buy one occasionally(killer upscaling on this machine), nothing beats a good Blu-ray!
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other
Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Special Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blu View Post
Keep in mind though that it's not just us being spoiled by it.

The studios really do need to raise the bar as well.
It's really a matter of how much money/time they want to spend
remastering them for Blu.
I agree. Now that Fox has shown us with some of their post-hiatus releases what BD is capable of, I am spoiled and no longer satisfied with PQ that previously looked good.

The people at a studio like Sony need to look at those recent Fox releases and raise the level of their game.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
Banned

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
i have never understood why people don't like this movie. Yeah, its not Best Picture of the Year, but it keeps me entertained everytime I watch it. Its not a bad movie at all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology