New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Serenity 4K $12.99 (88% claimed)
Now: Fifty Shades of Grey (Unrated … $6.99 (91% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Gifted (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Life (Blu-ray)
$6.00
The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)
$3.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$6.00
Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$4.00
Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
$9.00
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 11-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #41

Nov 2011
Default Cleaning it finally worked!

WOW - I'm an advanced user and after 3.5 hours of Googling, updating my bios, and updating windows, and checking the driver, IT WAS CLEANING IT THAT FIXED IT (three times: gentle canned air - with the wand attached - applied by my man, my shirt, then gentler canned air applied by yours truly at three different angles including parallel to the surface of the lens) .
MY COMPUTER THEN FINALLY RECOGNIZED HARRY POTTER, HARRY HARRY POTTER - DUMBLEDORE! WOOT MOFO!!

Thank you for this thread!! This technology may be gosh darn titchy, but at least there's a support forum worth its weight!!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

I have a Samsung SH-B083L drive which has suddenly stopped reading certain discs.i updated the firmware, cleaned the lens with alcohol, wiped the discs etc. These blu rays play fine on my ps3.
The problem is only with certain discs. The drive makes a choking sound when trying to read them. It plays other discs without any problem. It's not a region problem nor is there a problem with the discs.
Is it time for me to get a new blu ray drive? Please help me out. I don't understand why it's only with certain discs.
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
I have a Samsung SH-B083L drive which has suddenly stopped reading certain discs.i updated the firmware, cleaned the lens with alcohol, wiped the discs etc. These blu rays play fine on my ps3.
The problem is only with certain discs. The drive makes a choking sound when trying to read them. It plays other discs without any problem. It's not a region problem nor is there a problem with the discs.
Is it time for me to get a new blu ray drive? Please help me out. I don't understand why it's only with certain discs.
Ahh srinivas, I wish like heck I had an answer for you, because I've got the same drive, and exactly the same problem. Bear with me if I give a bit of detail:

My Samsung SH-B083L drive is in a PC running Windows 7 64-bit. It is recognized automatically by the OS, so there are no drivers to update, and it has the most recent version of the firmware (the SB01 - Samsung has confirmed there's nothing newer).

Most BDs play without a murmur, but some discs I've bought recently simply won't play. I get the same choking sound (I would have called it "seeking") as you're reporting. If I look in My Computer, Windows 7 isn't recognising the BD as a valid data disc. I've tried cleaning the lens - makes no difference. The discs are spotless - no dust or lint, no fingerprints - but I tried cleaning them anyway. That made no difference either.

I wonder, could it be some sort of copy protection, or else some type of Java coding, on certain discs that is stumping the drive? The sound it makes, repeating six or so times before it gives up, gives me the impression it's trying (and failing) to get a toe-hold on reading data. But it's very odd when you've got a two-disc set (for instance, a BBC doco called "Ancient Worlds") and one disc plays immediately and the other just grinds away - you'd imagine they should both behave the same way. Or the new Superman Anthology set - it'll play the first four discs fine, but not the "Superman Returns" disc. (Other examples: the UK Studio Canal release "Whisky Galore!", and the Canadian steelbook of "The Dark Knight".)

Anyone have any ideas, please?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 11-23-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Ahh srinivas, I wish like heck I had an answer for you, because I've got the same drive, and exactly the same problem. Bear with me if I give a bit of detail:

My Samsung SH-B083L drive is in a PC running Windows 7 64-bit. It is recognized automatically by the OS, so there are no drivers to update, and it has the most recent version of the firmware (the SB01 - Samsung has confirmed there's nothing newer).

Most BDs play without a murmur, but some discs I've bought recently simply won't play. I get the same choking sound (I would have called it "seeking") as you're reporting. If I look in My Computer, Windows 7 isn't recognising the BD as a valid data disc. I've tried cleaning the lens - makes no difference. The discs are spotless - no dust or lint, no fingerprints - but I tried cleaning them anyway. That made no difference either.

I wonder, could it be some sort of copy protection, or else some type of Java coding, on certain discs that is stumping the drive? The sound it makes, repeating six or so times before it gives up, gives me the impression it's trying (and failing) to get a toe-hold on reading data. But it's very odd when you've got a two-disc set (for instance, a BBC doco called "Ancient Worlds") and one disc plays immediately and the other just grinds away - you'd imagine they should both behave the same way. Or the new Superman Anthology set - it'll play the first four discs fine, but not the "Superman Returns" disc. (Other examples: the UK Studio Canal release "Whisky Galore!", and the Canadian steelbook of "The Dark Knight".)

Anyone have any ideas, please?
It is definitely not copy protection as I use Slysoft's Anydvd (I also tried playing the disc after removing Anydvd but it didnt work.) and also because these discs worked perfectly before. For example, I can play the 2d disc of Tron Legacy but not the 3d one. I think these Samsung drives have bad lenses. How old is your drive? Mine is around 10 months old. I'm thinking of buying a new LG or Sony drive now..
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
Australia

Quote:
It is definitely not copy protection as I use Slysoft's Anydvd (I also tried playing the disc after removing Anydvd but it didnt work.) and also because these discs worked perfectly before. For example, I can play the 2d disc of Tron Legacy but not the 3d one. I think these Samsung drives have bad lenses. How old is your drive? Mine is around 10 months old. I'm thinking of buying a new LG or Sony drive now..
The reason I wondered about copy protection is that I've read that one component of the security incoporated in the BD spec occurs at hardware level, when the disc is first read by the laser (whether in a disk drive or a dedicated BD player). The disc drive has to be able to read the disc, before AnyDVD or DVDFab can jump in and intervene. I know, from extensive trawling of the Samsung site (looking for a solution to the problem we're having!) showed that Samsung lists in its optical drives' specs the different types of copy protection scheme the drive can read - and I don't think they all read all formats. That's why, for instance, a whole lot of people had to get firmware updates to be able to play discs like the new Star Wars, whether they had AnyDVD or not. (But please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oh OK, so your troubles are (possibly) because the drive is failing? You could read the disks before, but not now? In my case, I'm talking about discs it couldn't read, fresh out of their box.

The drive is only about three months old - but that doesn't mean it isn't faulty, of course. If the most recent firmware update was compiled around April 2010, then it's not new (or current) technology.

If I need to replace it, I will - and it's still under warranty, so I think my PC bloke will be considerate with the price - but I'd like to know before I do that a new drive will actually fix the problem. That's really why I'm trying to work out, as much as I can, why this is happening. And why I'm trying to get Samsung to stop its pointless "we're still investigating" dance and authorise a repair under its warranty.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #46

Nov 2011
Thumbs up

HEYYYYYYYY BROSS READ THIS!!!

I tried for 4 hours, i made everything posible to repair the computer
- I Updated all the drivers
- Download like 5 Bd Players
- Download Genius Drivers
- Hacked the recovery partition with mod2win
etc

AND WHAT IT WAS?????????????????

LENSSSSSSSSSSS CLEANNNNNNNNNNN!!!

JUST CLEAN THE LENS!!!

Thanks you guys you guys saved me 700$ :rock
From Lima - Peru
Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
The reason I wondered about copy protection is that I've read that one component of the security incoporated in the BD spec occurs at hardware level, when the disc is first read by the laser (whether in a disk drive or a dedicated BD player). The disc drive has to be able to read the disc, before AnyDVD or DVDFab can jump in and intervene. I know, from extensive trawling of the Samsung site (looking for a solution to the problem we're having!) showed that Samsung lists in its optical drives' specs the different types of copy protection scheme the drive can read - and I don't think they all read all formats. That's why, for instance, a whole lot of people had to get firmware updates to be able to play discs like the new Star Wars, whether they had AnyDVD or not. (But please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oh OK, so your troubles are (possibly) because the drive is failing? You could read the disks before, but not now? In my case, I'm talking about discs it couldn't read, fresh out of their box.

The drive is only about three months old - but that doesn't mean it isn't faulty, of course. If the most recent firmware update was compiled around April 2010, then it's not new (or current) technology.

If I need to replace it, I will - and it's still under warranty, so I think my PC bloke will be considerate with the price - but I'd like to know before I do that a new drive will actually fix the problem. That's really why I'm trying to work out, as much as I can, why this is happening. And why I'm trying to get Samsung to stop its pointless "we're still investigating" dance and authorise a repair under its warranty.
Oh, I didn't know about that. But it still doesn't explain why this started suddenly. It happens with new discs with me as well. Ask your computer guy if he knows what the problem is. The lens cleaning didn't work by the way. One more thing, do you get any stuttering when you play a movie at 24p?(with Totalmedia Theatre or PowerDvd). I get stuttering with both and I have a pretty powerful pc. I don't get such stuttering on my PS3. I wondering whether it was a Samsung drive issue.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #48
Banned

Nov 2011

I've searched everywhere on the internet and still no solution.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
Australia

Well, I haven't gotten anywhere with it. Samsung is continuing to be unresponsive - promising phone calls that never come, tech support people not updating record of conversations, offering nothing more than "obviously the Blu-ray discs are faulty" (absolutely bloody HATE it when a tech support person says "obviously", especially if they can't then explain their reasoning - in my experience it means they're just making a reckless assumption and are about to call your issue resolved, whether it is or not). So: nothing is resolved. I think I'm going to just cut my losses and go and buy a new drive. From a different brand.

Quote:
One more thing, do you get any stuttering when you play a movie at 24p?(with Totalmedia Theatre or PowerDvd). I get stuttering with both and I have a pretty powerful pc. I don't get such stuttering on my PS3. I wondering whether it was a Samsung drive issue.
Not certain what you mean by stuttering, srinivas. Sometimes the picture will halt, and the PC makes a sound like it's spinning a drive up to speed, and then the video will lurch forward and back into regular motion after a few seconds - is that anything like what you're experiencing?

I would have thought my own PC had enough grunt - it's got a 3.3GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM and a graphics card with 2GB of RAM onboard - to play discs smoothly, but it still happens. It might be something weird in the drive, or I wondered if it might be a resource issue in my PC. (I don't really know enough about Windows 7 to understand how it manages resources.) I have a couple of external HDDs connected by USB, so it may be one of them hijacking the attention from time to time - I'm not sure.

I was hoping someone here might have some useful pointers about things I know not-enough about, but that hasn't happened. It may not be the drive at all, but I think I'm going to take a punt tomorrow and go shopping for a replacement.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 12-01-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

Quote:
Well, I haven't gotten anywhere with it. Samsung is continuing to be unresponsive - promising phone calls that never come, tech support people not updating record of conversations, offering nothing more than "obviously the Blu-ray discs are faulty" (absolutely bloody HATE it when a tech support person says "obviously", especially if they can't then explain their reasoning - in my experience it means they're just making a reckless assumption and are about to call your issue resolved, whether it is or not). So: nothing is resolved. I think I'm going to just cut my losses and go and buy a new drive. From a different brand.

Not certain what you mean by stuttering, srinivas. Sometimes the picture will halt, and the PC makes a sound like it's spinning a drive up to speed, and then the video will lurch forward and back into regular motion after a few seconds - is that anything like what you're experiencing?

I would have thought my own PC had enough grunt - it's got a 3.3GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM and a graphics card with 2GB of RAM onboard - to play discs smoothly, but it still happens. It might be something weird in the drive, or I wondered if it might be a resource issue in my PC. (I don't really know enough about Windows 7 to understand how it manages resources.) I have a couple of external HDDs connected by USB, so it may be one of them hijacking the attention from time to time - I'm not sure.

I was hoping someone here might have some useful pointers about things I know not-enough about, but that hasn't happened. It may not be the drive at all, but I think I'm going to take a punt tomorrow and go shopping for a replacement.

I have 2 Samsung drives (SH-B123A) in a xp machine running an Athlon 3.11Ghz, with 4 Gig Ram, the other PC is running win7 64 bit with similar specs as the XP machine, both play BD flawlessly, the only problem I had was with Starwars, but an update of Powerdvd fixed that, so can only guess it is the drive that is at fault, you really need to borrow another drive off someone to see if that fixes the problem,and check for latest drivers for graphics card etc and see if there is any update for your blu ray player software, from memory I think the Samsung drives cost me around the $80.00 mark
Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4264 View Post
I have 2 Samsung drives (SH-B123A) in a xp machine running an Athlon 3.11Ghz, with 4 Gig Ram, the other PC is running win7 64 bit with similar specs as the XP machine, both play BD flawlessly, the only problem I had was with Starwars, but an update of Powerdvd fixed that, so can only guess it is the drive that is at fault, you really need to borrow another drive off someone to see if that fixes the problem,and check for latest drivers for graphics card etc and see if there is any update for your blu ray player software, from memory I think the Samsung drives cost me around the $80.00 mark
Thanks stevo.

If I'm wrong, please tell me, but I'm pretty certain it's not anything to do with the software (PowerDVD Ultra 11, latest updates applied), because the discs don't even get that far: the drive simply doesn't read the discs as valid data. As I said, they don't show up in Windows Explorer as a valid disc, before the question of playback even arises.

Can anyone comprehend how it would be a faulty drive, that always reads certain discs, but never reads certain other ones? That makes me shake my head.

Is it possible there are certain types of hardware anti-copy routines in these certain discs that are stumping the drive?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

Quote:
Thanks stevo.

If I'm wrong, please tell me, but I'm pretty certain it's not anything to do with the software (PowerDVD Ultra 11, latest updates applied), because the discs don't even get that far: the drive simply doesn't read the discs as valid data. As I said, they don't show up in Windows Explorer as a valid disc, before the question of playback even arises.

Can anyone comprehend how it would be a faulty drive, that always reads certain discs, but never reads certain other ones? That makes me shake my head.

Is it possible there are certain types of hardware anti-copy routines in these certain discs that are stumping the drive?
Ok so the disc doesn't even show up in explorer, sounds even more like a bad drive, yes I have had drives that can only read certain discs and refuse to read others, I did read a "long" time ago that they thought some discs had errors on them and some drives were simply better at reading them than others , also something to do with better lenses and lasers able to read past the imperfections on the disc. how true this is I have no idea but it does explain a few things.

As for the High-Definition Copy Protection system that uses hardware copy protection on drives, I don't think so especially when you can play one disc and not the other as you said ""for instance, a BBC doco called "Ancient Worlds") and one disc plays immediately and the other just grinds away""

Not much help I know, only getting a borrowed or a new drive will tell, but I would put 10 dollars on the drive. If I come up with any suggestions I will PM you.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
Australia

Thanks for your thoughts, mate.

Since my last post, Samsung has just come back to me and out of the blue sent me an RMA number and offered to replace the drive. So that's been kicked into action.

Meantime, I've just come back from the shops, where I got impetuous and bought an LG BH10, which is a dual-layer BD burner as well as a reader. (I work from home, so it goes on the tax as a business deduction for backing up work files - that's genuinely why I bought it.) I have a couple of chores to do first - just found the neighbour's cat doing its business in the pile of leaves that keeps accumulating near my front door, so I guess it's time I did some raking! - and then I'll install the drive.

It will be interesting to see if it reads even some of the disks the Samsung won't. (Oh, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but who can blame me?!)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

Let us know how things go.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

I myself bought an LG BH10LS30.AUAR10B drive a few days ago. It is estimated to arrive sometime next week. My issue got worse over the past week. My drive stopped reading 80% of my collection!
MacEachaidh, that is exactly what I mean when I say stuttering. At first I thought it was a software issue as everything plays fine at 60hz and 120hz. In fact after upgrading to the latest version of TotalMedia Theatre, and turning off Windows Aero, the stuttering happens once every hour or so. Previously, it used to stutter every 7mins(that is still the case with PowerDvd 10 & 11). But after going through the forums I realized that nobody is facing this problem after upgrading to the latest versions of both softwares. Hopefully, my new drive will resolve this as well.
Please let me know how the LG drive is. Also, my system is pretty high end just like both of yours and it should be able to handle something as simple as playing a blu-ray at 24hz.

Windows 7 64bit
Amd Athlon 2.9 Ghz Dual Core Peocessor
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 460 Graphics Card
Optoma HD67 and a Sony Bravia LCD(both which accept and display 24hz).

@MacEachidah
So I guess you'll have two working drives in your PC! It will come in handy when you watch something like the extended Lotr movies.

Last edited by srinivas1015; 12-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
Australia

Success !!!!

It was the drive. It was the drive.
The discs that the Samsung wouldn't read at all, play without a second's hesitation on the LG.

(So much for Samsung telling me this was simply not possible. )

One positive thing I've noticed immediately: the LG is almost completely silent. The Samsung was never even quiet, let alone silent.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 12-02-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

That's AWESOME!!

I can't wait for my drive to get here now.Play a movie at 24hz and see if the stuttering is gone.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-

Quote:
That's AWESOME!!

I can't wait for my drive to get here now.Play a movie at 24hz and see if the stuttering is gone.
Great minds, eh srinivas? We both buy the same drive as a replacement?! !

I never seemed to have quite as much problem with stuttering as you have (no idea why), but I'll give a try to a few of the problematic discs in a sec and see how they do with the new drive.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Great minds, eh srinivas? We both buy the same drive as a replacement?! !

I never seemed to have quite as much problem with stuttering as you have (no idea why), but I'll give a try to a few of the problematic discs in a sec and see how they do with the new drive.
I was about to say the same thing . My first instinct was to go for Sony but they were a little too expensive and I couldn't find many customer reviews for them. Also, I have an eight year old LG DVD drive which still works perfectly.
By the way, do you use AnyDvd? I kinda have to as I import from US and UK. Apart from the recent reading problem, I never had any issues where the drive has trouble with a disc after it has been read by the drive. I hope the new LG drive doesn't introduce any such problem like many other users are facing.
Anyway, enjoy your new drive. It must feel wonderful to actually be able to pick what you want to watch. Over the last few weeks, my drive has been picking my movies.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
Australia

I'm lucky being in OZ, because at least one of my main sources of BDs (the UK) is the same region code as here. I tend to buy most of my Blus from the UK, because they're typically around 1/3rd of the price of OZ Blu-rays, plus Amazon UK gives free shipping to OZ and NZ. (And India too, I thought? Though I could be wrong. God defend the Empire! )

But I do buy Blus from North America - especially digibooks from the US and steelbooks from Canada. I don't use AnyDVD, though - I was having some troubles with PowerDVD 11 locking itself to a region A for no reason (which Cyberlink still hasn't resolved or even bothered to pursue, bloody useless company that they are!), and I found that DVDFab (which does pretty much the same thing as AnyDVD) has the added function of resetting the number of region changes allowed in the PowerDVD software, so I've stuck with that.

I haven't used an LG drive before, but I went with that brand because I spoke to a couple of different computer shops and they both said that Sony and Pioneer had really good reputations for stand-alone Blu-ray players, but poor reputations for internal PC drives. They said the firmware was rarely updated, and they were quite problematic in playing discs. That sound too much like what I'd just been through! Both of them recommended LG over Samsung.

Quote:
It must feel wonderful to actually be able to pick what you want to watch. Over the last few weeks, my drive has been picking my movies.
What a great way to phrase such an unfortunate situation!! !!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software