Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$99.99
10 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.85
8 hrs ago
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Outlander: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Ferdinand (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 AM   #1

Feb 2018
Default Dynex Blu-Ray Fails to Connect

We use our Blu-ray player to stream Netflix as well as watch DVDs - our flat widescreen TV is NOT a Smart TV. A couple months ago I started experiencing occasional network connection problems, even though our Blu-ray is closer to our router than our IPad, either of our 2 laptops or our wireless desktop PC. All of those other devices work perfectly.

After I get the connection failure on the TV screen I go into settings and try to manually connect. It finds our network, I choose disconnect, then choose connect. I re-enter the network password, the unit does some sort of checking, then it validates the password, then it connects. BUT, then it does this (to me) weird extra step. It says 'Validating Connection' - which is where it fails. It gives me no error code or offers no reason for the failure.

Sometimes when I click on Netflix it works - and I can see all the titles in our queue. And I can play them all the way through without buffering. And as long as the player is powered on I have no streaming problems. But when we watch a DVD the unit turns itself off about 10 minutes after stopping the disc. Going back to streaming after re-powering the unit starts the ordeal all over again.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2014

are you able to hardwire the bluray player and test how it responds to be hooked up via an ethernet cable?

possible the bluray unit's antenna is spotty (if you are using wifi on the bluray player)

possible the router wifi signal is weak in the room or area you are attempting to use the bluray player
(you can measure signal strength with numerous smartphone apps while standing next to that spot).

possible bluray player needs a firmware upgrade.

also possible unit is defective (if everything else fails, are you in the return window?)

Last edited by p w; 02-15-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Special Member

Dec 2017
The Earth's Core

Honestly, your blu ray player is probably just crappy at streaming. I've never owned a standalone blu ray player that streams anything well. If you're a serious streamer, bite the bullet and get a dedicated streaming device like a Roku or Amazon Fire and use the blu ray player for discs only.
Thanks given by:
stratford (02-19-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #4

Feb 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by p w View Post
are you able to hardwire the bluray player and test how it responds to be hooked up via an ethernet cable?
No, not really. Although the bluray is the closest device to the router/modem, it is one floor over it and would require significant Ethernet cable footage to connect the two.

possible the bluray unit's antenna is spotty (if you are using wifi on the bluray player)
Well, maybe..., but if the antenna is 'spotty' why would laptops and desktops situated at much greater distances from the router all work flawlessly?

possible the router wifi signal is weak in the room or area you are attempting to use the bluray player
(you can measure signal strength with numerous smartphone apps while standing next to that spot).
If I drilled a hole in the floor and measured the distance from the bluray to the router it'd probably be under 7 feet.

possible bluray player needs a firmware upgrade.
Well that could be.... Unfortunately I haven't the vaguest notion of how to do that.

also possible unit is defective (if everything else fails, are you in the return window?)
Unit was a gift about 6 years ago - that windows has long since closed. And up until a few months ago it allowed us to stream Netflix without a problem. And none of the components have moved for several years.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
Special Member

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by boweasel View Post
Unit was a gift about 6 years ago - that windows has long since closed. And up until a few months ago it allowed us to stream Netflix without a problem. And none of the components have moved for several years.
Quote:
No, not really. Although the bluray is the closest device to the router/modem, it is one floor over it and would require significant Ethernet cable footage to connect the two.
if you have a friend with a long ethernet cable, most techies have one for testing, you could do a physical run, just by tossing it on the floor and run it up some steps etc. or you could move bluray player next to the router for a test. attach a small screen to the bluray player and see if it plays smoothly during a full movie.

Quote:
Well, maybe..., but if the antenna is 'spotty' why would laptops and desktops situated at much greater distances from the router all work flawlessly?
that actually could mean there is an issue with the wifi antenna inside the bluray player. since you have devices all around it and farther out not having any wifi issues. it also means your router probably is in the clear as a culprit

Quote:
If I drilled a hole in the floor and measured the distance from the bluray to the router it'd probably be under 7 feet.
That aint the issue then.

Quote:
as for updating the firmware

i dont know what model you have, so i just went to their website and checked a random bluray player. for this model its located under the support download tab. https://www.dynexproducts.com/pdp/DX-WBRDVD1/2333036

PLEASE: know what model you have before downloading and installing new firmware, you could effectively brick the unit if you put the wrong code on the wrong model. If you are unsure how to identify the model number, get in contact with dynex support https://www.dynexproducts.com/contact-us

Last edited by p w; 02-16-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Aug 2009

boweasel don't be a tight ass, you got what you paid for. Should have spent a few more dollars and got a reputable brand
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Illinois

The time it took me to type this is more time than I would spend troubleshooting a $20 blu-ray player. Junk it and buy something decent.
Thanks given by:
stratford (02-25-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders