Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 4K $12.74 (77% claimed)
Prime: The James Bond Collection $63.97 (81% claimed)
Prime: Back to the Future: 30th Anniv… $16.99 (96% claimed)
Prime: The Hobbit: The Motion Picture… $38.00 (59% claimed)
Now: Black Lagoon: Complete Collect… $26.89 (39% claimed)
Prime: Star Trek Beyond 4K $12.19 (71% claimed)
Prime: The Star $8.49 (43% claimed)
Now: Girls Trip $7.99 (3 hours left)
Prime: Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K $24.41 (37 mins left)
Prime: Passengers $8.49 (4 hours left)
Now: I, Tonya $9.99 (3 hours left)
Prime: Game of Thrones: Seasons 1-7 $74.99 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$99.99

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.84
8 hrs ago
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$6.53
1 hr ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ferdinand (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
20 hrs ago
A Bad Moms Christmas (Blu-ray)
$9.59

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

I got my Seiki SR212S today and I am pleased with the quality. It looks kind of cheap (Which it is) but it produces a very good picture quality and has some functions which my Panasonic BD-75 lacks like brightness, picture mode etc. I was expecting it to take forever to load the criterion bd but to my surprise its loading time is very quick.

The remote is also cheap looking and I have to face it towards the player to make it work but then I think its the cheap batteries which come with the unit. I ll change them tomorrow to see how it works.

Overall verdict: A nice cheap player to play both regions. Dual Voltage. Supports both 50hz and 60hz. Quick loading time. Ideal for those who are looking for a cheap method to play other region BDs. I am glad that I crossed the fence and now I can watch Region A locked movies
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

You guys are nuts. A $50 BD player that's region free (which as I understand it, is a violation of the Blu-ray Licensing Agreements, which is why OPPO doesn't sell region free kits or build it into the player - 3rd parties make kits for it) is like a place that sells a hot dog or slice of pizza for $1. If they can sell it for $1 and still make a profit, then I don't want to eat whatever is in it.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #43

Sep 2012

This is quite a good machine. I had used the Sherwood to watch region B discs but this unit outperforms it by a mile. Better, more film like picture, more settings ,nice zoom function, upscaling looks very good. I may pick up another one since these are so cheap ( which I am sure has to do with the fact that by today's standards this is a barebones player since it does not stream).
Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #44

Jun 2008
Gotham City New York

Picked one up today as well and so far I'm very pleased. The hack worked perfectly and I can now watch my Region B Steelies.

The remote does kinda suck a bit. The layout is off and it has to be aimed directly at the unit. But as mentioned above, maybe it's the cheap batteries it comes with.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
You guys are nuts. A $50 BD player that's region free (which as I understand it, is a violation of the Blu-ray Licensing Agreements, which is why OPPO doesn't sell region free kits or build it into the player - 3rd parties make kits for it) is like a place that sells a hot dog or slice of pizza for $1. If they can sell it for $1 and still make a profit, then I don't want to eat whatever is in it.
Oppo, Oppo, Oppo, I am sick of this word Oppo. Whenever someone asks for a blu-ray player he is told to buy Oppo. I still cant see why people buy it inspite of being very expensive. We are talking here about players which are cheap but performance wise good and this Seki unit is well worth the price. Its only USD50 and who knows when and if they will release a firmware to remove the region hack. Enjoy while it lasts and it might lasts forever. They are not selling it region free and its Region A locked buy default and its just the region hack settings by which we can make it region free and that can be done by remote. Just like some models of Toshiba which are still in circulation and Blu-ray disc association didnt do anything about it. So, we are not nuts. We just cant afford an OPPO like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbeck View Post
This is quite a good machine. I had used the Sherwood to watch region B discs but this unit outperforms it by a mile. Better, more film like picture, more settings ,nice zoom function, upscaling looks very good. I may pick up another one since these are so cheap ( which I am sure has to do with the fact that by today's standards this is a barebones player since it does not stream).
For me its perfect as I dont stream content and this player is just for the regions which you cant play at your local machine so your local BD player or PS3 is always there to stream. I agree its a nice little player but I hope its durable too.

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Last edited by kashif; 03-20-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #46
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
Oppo, Oppo, Oppo, I am sick of this word Oppo. Whenever someone asks for a blu-ray player he is told to buy Oppo. I still cant see why people buy it inspite of being very expensive. We are talking here about players which are cheap but performance wise good and this Seki unit is well worth the price. Its only USD50 and who knows when and if they will release a firmware to remove the region hack. Enjoy while it lasts and it might lasts forever. They are not selling it region free and its Region A locked buy default and its just the region hack settings by which we can make it region free and that can be done by remote. Just like some models of Toshiba which are still in circulation and Blu-ray disc association didnt do anything about it. So, we are not nuts. We just cant afford an OPPO like you.
A new firmware doesn't necessarily have to be issued. The BDA could simply revoke the player key and new titles will no longer work on the player without a firmware update with a new player key. Now that isn't a perfect solution since older titles will still play. The company could also lose their BD license causing the player to go out of production or worse the company out of business. But in the latter case those people, I'm guessing this is a Chinese company, would probably just open up shop under a different name.

But back to the player, the company had to sacrifice some quality in order to offer the BD player for $50 at retail. One of those things sounds like the build quality isn't great but what else did they sacrifice.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #47

Jun 2008
Gotham City New York

I'm sure most people have other devices that can stream and do other "magical" things but this one is $50 and gets the job done, which is to play any region dvd and BD. There was no way in hell I'd pay $500 for an Oppo or even $100+ for something with streaming features and wifi if I already have something that already does all that. I just wanted something that can simply play my steelbooks from around the world.
Thanks given by:
THUNDERSTRUCK (02-17-2017)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #48

Jun 2008
Gotham City New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
A new firmware doesn't necessarily have to be issued. The BDA could simply revoke the player key and new titles will no longer work on the player without a firmware update with a new player key. Now that isn't a perfect solution since older titles will still play. The company could also lose their BD license causing the player to go out of production or worse the company out of business. But in the latter case those people, I'm guessing this is a Chinese company, would probably just open up shop under a different name.

But back to the player, the company had to sacrifice some quality in order to offer the BD player for $50 at retail. One of those things sounds like the build quality isn't great but what else did they sacrifice.
They sacrificed all the features all other companies has implemented in their products that they charge for... Apps, wifi, inputs, style, 3D, etc.

This is basic. BD players were destined to go greatly down in price as people converted from DVD.

It is chinese indeed but who knows? maybe nothing will ever be done to ruin this great player. And even if it does, you only lost $50 rather than $500.

Last edited by burngwngs; 03-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by burngwngs View Post
They sacrificed all the features all other companies has implemented in their products that they charge for... Apps, wifi, inputs, style, 3D, etc.

This is basic. BD players were destined to go greatly down in price as people converted from DVD.

It is chinese indeed but who know? maybe nothing will ever be done to ruin this great player. And even if it, you only lost $50 rather than $500.
This Very nice explanation.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by burngwngs View Post

It is chinese indeed but who know? maybe nothing will ever be done to ruin this great player. And even if it, you only lost $50 rather than $500.
Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a Seiki; it just wouldn't be worth it. Yes, I know you're referring to Oppo when you say $500 but Oppo hasn't done anything wrong unlike Seiki so there's no risk in losing your $500 Oppo.

In terms of sacrificed quality you also have to look at HD performance, reliability, and customer service support.

Last edited by rdodolak; 03-20-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
I got my Seiki SR212S today and I am pleased with the quality. It looks kind of cheap (Which it is) but it produces a very good picture quality and has some functions which my Panasonic BD-75 lacks like brightness, picture mode etc. I was expecting it to take forever to load the criterion bd but to my surprise its loading time is very quick.

The remote is also cheap looking and I have to face it towards the player to make it work but then I think its the cheap batteries which come with the unit. I ll change them tomorrow to see how it works.

Overall verdict: A nice cheap player to play both regions. Dual Voltage. Supports both 50hz and 60hz. Quick loading time. Ideal for those who are looking for a cheap method to play other region BDs. I am glad that I crossed the fence and now I can watch Region A locked movies
Glad to hear that your player arrived to you safely and that you are enjoying it
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #52

Jun 2008
Gotham City New York

Quote:
Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a Seiki; it just wouldn't be worth it. Yes, I know you're referring to Oppo when you say $500 but Oppo hasn't done anything wrong unlike Seiki so there's no risk in losing your $500 Oppo.

In terms of sacrificed quality you also have to look at HD performance, reliability, and customer service support.
Actually, The HD quality on the Seiki is amazing. Very vivid and crisp. I have no complaints about that at all.

No one should pay that much for any unit what so ever. That's the price for a theater in a box. But my point is, whatever happens to the Seiki it wouldn't be such a big lost. $50 is what some people would pay for a single movie.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dolittle View Post
Then I tried Sherlock, the BBC series from the UK and Strike Back and they work. Both of those are 1080i50 and they played fine.
Great stuff, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
My alternatives are:

1) Buy a REGION B player
2) Buy the NA crappy DVD version of the F1 season review instead and miss out on the 2 hours+ of extras only available on the Blu-ray

My Orei BDP-M2 allows me to watch all of my PAL DVD's and my REGION B and/or 1080i50 Blu-ray discs without spending money trying to import a real REGION B player from the UK, which costs loads of shipping and customs/duty on top. I use my PS3 for all Blu-ray and DVD discs that it will play, but it won't even load up a region free 1080i50 disc like the Radiohead Blu-ray.

Terrible analogy, I wouldn't eat the crappy $1 genetically modified chemical filled cancer causing crap from a hot dog vendor either, but I happen to have it on good authority that my Orei BDP-M2 isn't food and thus I won't try to eat it.
Thanks given by:
countryknight (12-13-2014)
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #54

Jun 2008
Gotham City New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Great stuff, thanks!

My alternatives are:

1) Buy a REGION B player

2) Buy the NA crappy DVD version of the F1 season review instead and miss out on the 2 hours+ of extras only available on the Blu-ray

My Orei BDP-M2 allows me to watch all of my PAL DVD's and my REGION B and/or 1080i50 Blu-ray discs without spending money trying to import a real REGION B player from the UK, which costs loads of shipping and customs/duty on top. I use my PS3 for all Blu-ray and DVD discs that it will play, but it won't even load up a region free 1080i50 disc like the Radiohead Blu-ray.

Terrible analogy, I wouldn't eat the crappy $1 genetically modified chemical filled cancer causing crap from a hot dog vendor either, but I happen to have it on good authority that my Orei BDP-M2 isn't food and thus I won't try to eat it.
What if you also have Region C BD's?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

The OPPO Blu-ray players are engineered in the USA and assembled in China with an excellent build quality. China makes both high quality and low quality items. The OPPO Blu-ray players are $499 for a region A and region 1 locked player since the licensing agreements will not allow OPPO Digital Inc to place a region selectable menu in any of their Blu-ray players. My point is after a consumer adds the third party $150 region selectable hack to their OPPO Blu-ray player the price of the OPPO is now around $650.

Of course the OPPO Blu-ray players have better build quality compared to a $49.99 Blu-ray player. At the same time a consumer that spends $500 on their 50 inch 1080P flat screen is more likely to want a $49.99 Blu-ray player instead of a $499 Blu-ray player. Sometimes cheaply made Blu-ray players break within 90 days, however sometimes cheaply made Blu-ray players will also last 5 to 10 years. Even among low cost Blu-ray players there is a LG profile 2.0 BD-LIVE model with streaming services like Netflix for only $48. The Seiki SR212S for $49.99 lowers their cost by making their Blu-ray player only profile 1.1 with no BD-LIVE feature and no streaming services. Its been a few years since I have seen a Blu-ray player that lacks the BD-LIVE feature since that feature until now has been standard on low cost Blu-ray players in the USA. In 2013 streaming services had also benn standard on low cost Blu-ray players starting at $48 until this Seiki SR212S arrived.

The main reason people are purchasing the Seiki SR212S is for its secret region menu that allows it to play any Blu-ray or DVD in the world. I am still amazed that this Seiki SR212S offers both dual voltage and the ability to convert 1080i 50Hz movies to 1080P 60Hz (also PAL conversion) for the amazing low price of $49.99 with free shipping.

The worse thing that could happen to this Seiki SR212S is that the region menu is removed in a future firmware update so the Blu-ray player becomes region A and region 1 locked player.

If the BDA decides to revoke the player key then new Blu-ray releases will not be able to play unless there is a firmware update installed to the Blu-ray player.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 03-20-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #56

Jun 2008
Gotham City New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
The OPPO Blu-ray players are engineered in the USA and assembled in China with an excellent build quality. China makes both high quality and low quality items. The OPPO Blu-ray players are $499 for a region A and region 1 locked player since the licensing agreements will not allow OPPO Digital Inc to place a region selectable menu in any of their Blu-ray players. My point is after a consumer adds the third party $150 region selectable hack to their OPPO Blu-ray player the price of the OPPO is now around $650.

Of course the OPPO Blu-ray players have better build quality compared to a $49.99 Blu-ray player. At the same time a consumer that spends $500 on their 50 inch 1080P flat screen is more likely to want a $49.99 Blu-ray player instead of a $499 Blu-ray player. Sometimes cheaply made Blu-ray players break within 90 days, however sometimes cheaply made Blu-ray players will also last 5 to 10 years. Even among low cost Blu-ray players there is a LG profile 2.0 BD-LIVE model with streaming services like Netflix for only $48. The Seiki SR212S for $49.99 lowers their cost by making their Blu-ray player only profile 1.1 with no BD-LIVE feature and no streaming services. Its been a few years since I have seen a Blu-ray player that lacks the BD-LIVE feature since that feature until now has been standard on low cost Blu-ray players in the USA. In 2013 streaming services had also benn standard on low cost Blu-ray players starting at $48 until this Seiki SR212S arrived.

The main reason people are purchasing the Seiki SR212S is for its secret region menu that allows it to play any Blu-ray or DVD in the world. I am still amazed that this Seiki SR212S offers both dual voltage and the ability to convert 1080i 50Hz movies to 1080P 60Hz (also PAL conversion) for the amazing low price of $49.99 with free shipping.

The worse thing that could happen to this Seiki SR212S is that the region menu is removed in a future firmware update so the Blu-ray player becomes region A and region 1 locked player.

If the BDA decides to revoke the player key then new Blu-ray releases will not be able to play unless there is a firmware update installed to the Blu-ray player
Don't update if it's working fine.

I ahve nothing for the last one... only keep our fingers crossed. And like I said before,... $50 isn't such a big loss and who knows? nothing may ever happen to remove the hack and we all win. It may cost some companies too much to even care. Most of them just want their movies to sell. They probably see the name "Seiki" and laugh while they move on to the next player. They'll see $50 under its tag and doubt it's capability. IMHO
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
Power Member

Aug 2009
Beaufort SC (British Expat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
1) Buy a REGION B player
Anyone know if you have a region B player in the US,that you'll still be able to get successful firmware updates,? ( if ever needed )
TCL 55P605 4K HDR10 (main room) | Energy take classic 5.0 |SVS PB-1000 | LG 47LW5600 (3D) (bed room) |
Panasonic BDT220 (3D) |LG UP870 4k UHD | Sony BD S350 | Sony BDP-S1700(Region Free) | Denon AVR X2100W | Harmony One | Harmony Ultimate One
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #58
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Bama Roll Tide Roll! UV collection:-------------5820

My local Kmart closed the doors last year. Sears and Kmart are associated right? I guess what im getting to is will Sears match the Kmart price or take a return from Kmart.com? Don't wanna take a chance on getting a dead player on arrival and don't wanna drive all over the world to exchange it. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #59

Feb 2008
Default In stock at Racine, WI Big K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
My local Kmart closed the doors last year. Sears and Kmart are associated right? I guess what im getting to is will Sears match the Kmart price or take a return from Kmart.com? Don't wanna take a chance on getting a dead player on arrival and don't wanna drive all over the world to exchange it. Thanks for any help you can provide!
The Big K in Racine, WI has eight (8) left on the shelf at $49. if anyone is interested. Big K on Hwy. 31.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltymchaggis View Post
Glad to hear that your player arrived to you safely and that you are enjoying it
Thanks

Quote:

If you mean picture quality then I afraid you are wrong. All blu-ray players have more or less the same picture quality. An Oppo plays the same as a Panasonic or a Sony etc. Oppo is just great when it comes to DVD upscaling. For 50 dollars I wont complain for a lack of customer support too. So far I am very happy with my unit.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders