Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.19

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition OVA (Blu-ray)
$34.29

Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$24.59

Appleseed: Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$6.98

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$28.59
17 hrs ago
In Another World With My Smartphone (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Classroom of the Elite: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.65

Knight's & Magic: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.49

The Boy and the Beast: Hosoda Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.54

The Seven Deadly Sins: Season One (Blu-ray)
$53.35

Strike The Blood: TV Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.18

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 09-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Feb 2010
Default Ninja Scroll (1993) Dec 4 pre-order

Ninja Scroll Blu-ray

Ninja Scroll Blu-ray Review

Not sure if this has been posted already but Sentai Filmworks just announced that they aquired the rights to Ninja Scroll for a North American release.

Their press release says "The anime that set the standard will be available for the first time ever on Blu-Ray, featuring an all-new, high-definition transfer straight from the source!"

Not quite the first time on Blu Ray, but close. I was actually going to put in my pre-order for the UK steel even though it's region locked but I think I'll hold off now for this release.

Press release here: http://www.sentai-filmworks.com/inde...ases&Itemid=64

Last edited by JMK; 11-25-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

One of the most important anime features of all time, I hope the transfer is solid.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Awesome news!!! I can't wait.
Adopted Blu-ray long before its development and launch.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

It's also coming out in the UK, and in a nice Steelbook (standard ed. as well) for those that have region free players: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ninja-...Blu-ray/46451/

Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Nov 2009
Arlington, TX

sweet!
| I | Am | The | Push | That | Makes | You | Move |
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
One of the most important anime features of all time

Where were you in the birth-of-anime 90's?

(Back then, we used to call those who were praising this movie to the skies "Scroll-heads", because many of them had started out as heavy-metal teens who'd heard all the J-fear "horror stories" on the news about all this new animation with sex, gore and babes, rushed down to their Blockbuster to find one, found only six anime tapes on the shelves, grabbed the first thing that looked remotely Japanese--"Cool, ninjas! "--got what they came for, and then pestered anime fan groups endlessly for "More cool gory stuff like Ninja Scroll--And none of that Pokemon or Sailor Moon crap, either!"
Needless to say, "Important" wasn't the word that sprang to mind at the time. For certain generations, for some reason, it does, and that's all I'm saying.)

Last edited by EricJ; 09-15-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
In my theater room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuMai View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already but Sentai Filmworks just announced that they aquired the rights to Ninja Scroll for a North American release.

Their press release says "The anime that set the standard will be available for the first time ever on Blu-Ray, featuring an all-new, high-definition transfer straight from the source!"

Not quite the first time on Blu Ray, but close. I was actually going to put in my pre-order for the UK steel even though it's region locked but I think I'll hold off now for this release.

Thank you for posting this! I was going to import the UK steelbook, but I will wait now. Great news!
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Where were you in the birth-of-anime 90's?
Funny, I thought "anime" as most people recognize it started in the 60s...

Ninja Scroll was important in establishing that Japanese and Western animation had some core differences and raising awareness in a new generation of potential consumers that Anime had something for them that Western animation didn't, which in turn led to it getting attention on American cable networks and video stores specifically as a counter-culture product.

So, yes, I guess it was pretty important. Not to Japan, who had produced ninja action shows for decades, but to America and the Western World in general for learning it.

For what it's worth, the JP release doesn't look bad. There's some noise reduction on brighter areas which bums me out (but I'm OCD as all hell - YMMV), but there's still some film grain, and detail is quite solid. If you've only ever owned the Manga DVD, this is sure to be a major improvement.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
Funny, I thought "anime" as most people recognize it started in the 60s...
(Unless you're talking about anime in the US/UK, which started out as three or four years of garage companies releasing bizarre standalone theatrical features or OVA miniseries because they were cheaper than the good ones, and nobody could afford a TV series.
Back then, there were only a handful of them in existence in North America, and this was the kind of movie we watched "Project A-Ko", Dominion and "Castle of Cagliostro" to get away from...)

Quote:
Ninja Scroll was important in establishing that Japanese and Western animation had some core differences and raising awareness in a new generation of potential consumers that Anime had something for them that Western animation didn't, which in turn led to it getting attention on American cable networks and video stores specifically as a counter-culture product.
One could say the same thing about Carl Macek and Streamline Pictures, and.....we don't.
There's obviously a bit of fan loyalty that puts a golden halo on the very name of "Ninja Scroll" that "Twilight of the Cockroaches" or "Rojin Z" doesn't have, and that's not exactly historical street-credit.

Last edited by EricJ; 09-15-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Special Member

Jan 2008

That's great news! Really love this movie. I will definitely pick this up once it hit $15 or less.
I've seen the picture quality of the Japanese blu-ray and it's definitely a step-up from the DVD but don't expect it to look as pristine as the newer animes out these days for obvious reasons. The quality is pretty solid for a movie of this age. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Power Member

Jun 2007
USA

Hopefully it won't be the same transfer as the Japanese release. The Japanese release has some of the worst black crush I've ever seen, a huge amount of detail is lost in the dark areas.
Movies!

Last edited by Stinky-Dinkins; 09-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Expert Member

Aug 2009

So I guess the the US releases of Astroboy, Gigantor, Kimba the White Lion, Starblazers, Animal Treasure Island, Locke the Superman and so on don't count? Why's that? Because they weren't explicitly marketed as Japanese imports to an audience that couldn't care less where their cartoons came from?

I suppose one could make a case for something like Robotech and Battle for the Planets being a separate beast entirely, but those were hardly the norm.

Carl Macek gets a lot of flack (and deserves plenty of it), but we wouldn't HAVE a local industry offering unedited Japanese animation without him. Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival were the titles that introduced me to the very idea that there was a world of entertainment beyond what America had to offer at a fairly young age, and as much as it's fun to give Macek crap, the fact is I wouldn't be the person I am now without him, and I can't think of a single person has done as much to introduce the Western world to Japanese animation as he has.

Stinky, I take it you mean the UK DVD? That's a PAL conversion of the Japanese analog master, and man, it ain't pretty. That said, this film was always intended for a home video release, so even the 35mm negative likely has big swathes of black with very little detail to speak of; Kawajiri's always dabbled in minimalistic "monochrome" art with large areas of pitch black space, and both Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku look quite similar on their "HD Remastered" DVD releases. The BD will be much nicer than anything we've seen before, but the notion of "shadow detail" may always be an iffy prospect from this particularly budget-conscious director.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (01-07-2018)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Power Member

Jun 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
Stinky, I take it you mean the UK DVD? That's a PAL conversion of the Japanese analog master, and man, it ain't pretty
No, I mean whatever Blu Ray was already released. I believe it was the JPN BD. People posted direct caps here a while back but now I can't find them (probably erased when the forum crashed a while back.)

The fine detail resolution was excellent (big improvement over all pre-existing DVD offerings) but the black crush was horrendous, tons of detail was lost.

I'll look around and see if I can find them.
Movies!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuMai View Post
I was actually going to put in my pre-order for the UK steel even though it's region locked but I think I'll hold off now for this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Thank you for posting this! I was going to import the UK steelbook, but I will wait now. Great news!
I don't know about you folks, but I'm excited that I'll now be able to have BOTH a functional NA version and a beautifully crafted steelbook to keep it in... and it will still cost me a helluva lot less than trying to get my hands on the Japanese BD, which is questionable at best when it comes to quality.

This news totally !!!
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 09-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
In my theater room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I don't know about you folks, but I'm excited that I'll now be able to have BOTH a functional NA version and a beautifully crafted steelbook to keep it in... and it will still cost me a helluva lot less than trying to get my hands on the Japanese BD, which is questionable at best when it comes to quality.

This news totally !!!
Yeah, I may still preorder Ninja Scroll fom Amazon.uk.
If you are violent you are weak, for violence has no mind.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

sweet....love this flick. first serious, action cartoon i fell in love with back in the day.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, any Phish, the Last Castle, Clan of the Cavebear, Silver Bullet, Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer. Samsung pn51f8500 plasma active 3d, Vizio 42" LCD passive 3d, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Bad.ass. I hope it gets a good transfer. Either way, it'll be a major improvement over the single-layer Manga DVD, so I'm likely to buy it anyway.

This is the movie that I used to get my friends to actually ponder watching anime subtitled. Up till then they were dub-only and saw me as a snob for always wanting to watch subbed, and we watched Ninja Scroll on DVD and I had to bite my tongue because I was in the minority. (Six against one or something like that.)

But there's a part where a dude's slammin' it to a woman, and I cried bulls*** over how awful the English moaning was and said, "See here, it sounds way hotter in Japanese!" and our raging hormonal teenaged bodies sprout wood as big as trees when we made the switch and I opened their eyes to a whole new world of superior voice acting.
"I can't forgive myself having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished...and the other is the phone book."
Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #18
Power Member

Jun 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
"See here, it sounds way hotter in Japanese!" and our raging hormonal teenaged bodies sprout wood as big as trees when we made the switch and I opened their eyes to a whole new world of superior voice acting.
That is the single most homoerotic post in the history of this forum.
Movies!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post
Talking about six or seven guys sitting in the dark sprouting wood over japanimation sex scene audio definitely ranks pretty high in my books for that categorization as well.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post
I aim to please.

If it makes it any more or less gay, the house we were in used to be a brothel.
"I can't forgive myself having lied to you. I don't have a degree in biology. Never even finished high school. I haven't read more than two books in my whole life. One, never finished...and the other is the phone book."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime