Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition OVA (Blu-ray)
$34.29
57 min ago
K: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.19
4 hrs ago
Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Premium (Blu-ray)
$57.19
6 hrs ago
The Testament of Sister New Devil (Blu-ray)
$71.50

Gamers!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.65

Keijo!!!!!!: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Batman Ninja (Blu-ray)
$14.71

Yuri!!! On Ice (Blu-ray)
$32.49

Dragon Ball Super: Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Appleseed: Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Your Name (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #41
Special Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Some? More like a lot. But even if you censor that, there is no way to get rid of how Happosai will steal panties and every other perverted action he took. Sure Dragonball series had Master Roshi, but with him it was more ok since he never went that far.

But Ranma does air uncensored on Viz's Neon Alley 24/7 schedule streaming service in HD on PS3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac with 2 new episodes every Friday.
The later seasons of Ranma had far less nudity than the first 2 seasons, I think. But this is only going by memory.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #42
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
The later seasons of Ranma had far less nudity than the first 2 seasons, I think. But this is only going by memory.
I have up to Season 5 on DVD along with the OVA episodes and the 2 movies. i just watched the 2nd movie DVD because I haven't seen it in quite some time and it had nudity.

While the nudity isn't as common in the later seasons as it was in the 1st few, but definitely still there.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #43
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
That was the main reason, although we all know the "real" reason was "Cartoon Network doesn't like sober anime comedy". (Which's why we never got Maison Ikkoku, either.)
CN had no problem adding "Digital bikinis" to the Tenchi Muyo OVA episodes, but that was a long time ago.
They also had an Outlaw Star episode that was banned from showing. Even when Adult Swim aired Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo OVAs, I think they just used the Toonami Edited version.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #44

Oct 2009
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
It's funny that both Ranma and Inyuyasha were both done by the same author but I find Ranma 1/2 more interesting than Inuyasha which I've tried watching as well and couldn't get into it.
Well the issue with both shows is they just don't forking end. Both shows are good but with Ranma I made it to like the 3 season or 4th I forgot before it was just the same thing again and again and give up on it. Same goes for Inuyasha.
My Movie Collection.

http://c.mymovies.dk/TOPDAWG21
Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #45
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPDAWG View Post
Well the issue with both shows is they just don't forking end. Both shows are good but with Ranma I made it to like the 3 season or 4th I forgot before it was just the same thing again and again and give up on it. Same goes for Inuyasha.
Well Inuyasha got the Final Act season.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #46

Oct 2009
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Well Inuyasha got the Final Act season.
yeah I've been meaning to take a look at it. I mean Inuyaha was good but it got to the point of god damn just kill the bad guy already I'm sick of them taking forever to fins him then he would get away again.
My Movie Collection.

http://c.mymovies.dk/TOPDAWG21
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #47
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
I started with Season 5 of Ranma (their version of the manga story where Nabiki tries buying the "fiance' rights" to Ranma off of Akane, so she can make her jealous and hope to sell them back at a profit, is reason alone for watching the season), but I'll concede that there's almost no reason whatsoever to watch Seasons 6 & 7.
There's another funny "race" episode at the beginning of S6, and something that passes for a "finale" at the end of S7, even though they continued on in OAV's and movies, and never quite got an actual finale outside of the manga.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #48
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
yeah I've been meaning to take a look at it. I mean Inuyaha was good but it got to the point of god damn just kill the bad guy already I'm sick of them taking forever to fins him then he would get away again.
Well i'm sure you know how these Action titles from Shonen Sunday and especially Shonen Jump are where they have all of these mid-boss type enemy characters that slow down the heroes from reaching the main boss or just some kind of reason to put more episodes in. Plus longer series need more filler episodes.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #49

Sep 2010
Ontario, Canada

Just a heads up: RightStuf.com is teasing a vaguely 'exclusive' bonus given to early orders of both the BD and DVD set, while supplies last. I've tried to reach out to Viz for a comment on the exclusivity, but haven't received a response yet. Really, really hoping it's not actually exclusive to RightStuf because they're such a nightmare when ordering from Canada.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #50
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
Just a heads up: RightStuf.com is teasing a vaguely 'exclusive' bonus given to early orders of both the BD and DVD set, while supplies last. I've tried to reach out to Viz for a comment on the exclusivity, but haven't received a response yet. Really, really hoping it's not actually exclusive to RightStuf because they're such a nightmare when ordering from Canada.
I'm guessing it's a print-manga edition, as we see that in the box photo, but it's not mentioned in the extras. Still, TRSI does seem to have it cheaper than Amazon.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
That was the main reason, although we all know the "real" reason was "Cartoon Network doesn't like sober anime comedy". (Which's why we never got Maison Ikkoku, either.)
CN had no problem adding "Digital bikinis" to the Tenchi Muyo OVA episodes, but that was a long time ago.
Quote:
They also had an Outlaw Star episode that was banned from showing. Even when Adult Swim aired Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo OVAs, I think they just used the Toonami Edited version.
Back in the day ANN once interviewed someone on the Toonami/AS production team, who lamented that they were using a $100k state of the art editing bay just to paint digital bathing suits.
In the land of the dark, the ship of the sun is driven by the Grateful Dead

You can't stop progress.

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 01-22-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #52

Sep 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I'm guessing it's a print-manga edition, as we see that in the box photo, but it's not mentioned in the extras. Still, TRSI does seem to have it cheaper than Amazon.
Quote:
This special edition includes a premium chipboard artbox and a 64-page booklet with a full-color episode guide and a manga remaster sampler!

While supplies last, customers who order this item will receive an exclusive gift to be announced soon!
That's straight from the product description. I'm gonna guess it's not that.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

Quote:
I understand that there is a lot "filler" in episodes of a lot of anime to give the author time to complete more chapters of the manga. However, I really hope that one of these days they will release a Kai version of this and Bleach. These were the two anime series that started out really good but just had so much added material included.

I agree with you though about Inyuyasha it did seem like they did a lot of the same thing over and over but I am glad to see that they are releasing the Final Act. Perhaps if the series ever gets a Blu-ray release I will finally check it out.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #54
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
I understand that there is a lot "filler" in episodes of a lot of anime to give the author time to complete more chapters of the manga. However, I really hope that one of these days they will release a Kai version of this and Bleach. These were the two anime series that started out really good but just had so much added material included.

I agree with you though about Inyuyasha it did seem like they did a lot of the same thing over and over but I am glad to see that they are releasing the Final Act. Perhaps if the series ever gets a Blu-ray release I will finally check it out.
Well for Inuyasha, the movies and The Final Act are already out on Blu-ray in America. We just don't have all of the original TV episodes that's currently airing on Toonami and Neon Alley on Blu-ray.

Another way for Anime is do like how they did with the original Fullmetal Alchemist series where the story completely changes but still turns out to be quite good.

Even My-Hime went in a total different approach in the Manga than it did in the original Anime series.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #55

Dec 2010

Quote:
I started with Season 5 of Ranma (their version of the manga story where Nabiki tries buying the "fiance' rights" to Ranma off of Akane, so she can make her jealous and hope to sell them back at a profit, is reason alone for watching the season), but I'll concede that there's almost no reason whatsoever to watch Seasons 6 & 7.
There's another funny "race" episode at the beginning of S6, and something that passes for a "finale" at the end of S7, even though they continued on in OAV's and movies, and never quite got an actual finale outside of the manga.
I dunno, when I watched 4/5 I found it to become increasingly crazy, and had too much Hopposai. Last year I finally decided to watch seasons 6/7 as I had bought the DVD's but had not yet really watched them. I found the full on crazy went down from season 5 and there were some good episodes throughout them.

Maybe because of the large gap I had in watching them helped, but I thought the last two seasons were enjoyable.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #56

Sep 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Well for Inuyasha, the movies and The Final Act are already out on Blu-ray in America. We just don't have all of the original TV episodes
Episodes 99+ were animated digitally in 480i, so short of some mastering miracle, they'd see an extremely marginal benefit from a Blu-ray release, even less so if the upscale is bad enough.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #57
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I dunno, when I watched 4/5 I found it to become increasingly crazy, and had too much Hopposai. Last year I finally decided to watch seasons 6/7 as I had bought the DVD's but had not yet really watched them. I found the full on crazy went down from season 5 and there were some good episodes throughout them.

Maybe because of the large gap I had in watching them helped, but I thought the last two seasons were enjoyable.
The two episodes with the ancient school store in S6 were okay, but 5 & 6 had WAYYY too much of Rumiko's preoccupation with the Tea-Ceremony Dojo.
There were probably only three stories, but sure felt like a lot more.

First episode I ever watched, back in the days when you watched loose untranslated collections of afternoon TV, with commercials, taped off the air from friends and penpals in Japan, was the S5 episode where the Principal teaches Akane swimming lessons--Maybe not the best episode to start with, but silly enough to hook me.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #58
Special Member

Sep 2012

I'd always felt that Takahashi's stuff, by and large, were sitcoms. So looking for an end is rather pointless. Yes, there's often a hook of sorts--often of the romantic kind--but the resolution was about as important as the love triangle in Archie comics. It really doesn't matter whether Archie ends up with Betty or Veronica--it's the zany comedy that happens within the triangle that's the point.

I do agree that Inuyasha was poorly served by this setup though. It's definitely more of an action adventure hook, with sitcommy elements used more as a break from the action. But Ranma, Urusei Yatsura...even a lot of Maison Ikkoku is basically standard sitcom stuff. Maison Ikkoku just holds together better in both ways because everything that happens in between is still credible even though it could have been much shorter. Having the subplot of Godai trying to find a steady career before going ahead with really consummating his feelings with Kyoko at least made sense. You could really see how someone like that would take about 8 years to finally get engaged with Kyoko.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 AM   #59
Power Member

Jan 2014

My favorite Rumiko Takahashi series is Maison Ikkoku (The House Of One Moment)-I think that I'm gonna pass on the bluray of Ranma 1/2. I have it on dvd and have only watched it once. Now I have to eat my words cause' I ordered the bluray set.

Last edited by zrdb; 02-23-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #60
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Recently found out this is on Hulu, will start watching it soon if I can figure out how to make my device stream it with subtitles.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime