Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$24.59

No Game, No Life Zero (Blu-ray)
$28.59

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition OVA (Blu-ray)
$34.29

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.19

In Another World With My Smartphone (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Armed Girl's Machiavellism: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Seven Deadly Sins: Season One (Blu-ray)
$53.35

Appleseed: Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Knight's & Magic: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.65
4 hrs ago
Drifters: The Complete Series - Classic (Blu-ray)
$39.96
16 hrs ago
Classroom of the Elite: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.65

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Default Mamoru Hosoda's The Boy and the Beast

FUNimation Entertainment Acquires U.S. Rights To Mamoru Hosoda’s ‘The Boy and The Beast’

Quote:
FUNimation Entertainment has acquired all U.S. rights to Mamoru Hosoda’s animated tale “The Boy and the Beast” from Gaumont Intl.

Produced by Studio Chizu and Nippon TV, “Beast” is a coming-of-age tale about Kyuta, a lonely Japanese boy, and Kumatetsu, a lonesome beast inhabiting an imaginary world.

The movie will be released by FUNimation’s new launched theatrical events and distribution branch based in New York.

“We’re excited to bring ‘The Boy and the Beast’ to audiences across the United States,” said FUNimation CEO and founder Gen Fukunaga. “Mamoru Hosoda is a masterful director and has made Japanese animated film accessible to everyone.”

The toon is being talked about as a potential 216 Oscar contender.

“We are looking forward to working with Gaumont Intl. and plan to release ‘The Boy and the Beast’ to theaters beginning in late 2015,” said Mike DuBoise, FUNimation’s exec VP and COO. “We’re confident that critics and moviegoers will quickly agree that this is an Oscar-worthy film.”

Gaumont’s deputy head of sales Yohann Comte, who negotiated the deal, said Gaumont had received offers from other distributors but “chose to work with FUNimation because the company has been faithful to Hosoda’s work since the beginning, and they also have the ambition and commitment to screen the film to the widest possible audience.”

FUNimation has distributed two other Hosoda movies in the U.S. (on VOD and homevideo) including the critically-acclaimed and award-winning “Wolf Children” in 2013 and “Summer Wars” in 2010. Hosoda’s “Wolf Children” traveled to more than 90 countries.

FUNimation will release “The Boy and the Beast” in select theaters in late 2015 and nationwide in early 2016.

FUNimation’s first theatrical rollout will be “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F,” which is scheduled
to come out this summer in the U.S. and Canada.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/fu...ve-1201497564/

Old 05-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I know this has been discussed in some other threads, but I figured it deserved its own thread since it will more than likely eventually be getting a Blu-ray release through Funimation.

Super excited for this one. Wolf Children was Hosoda's best film yet, and I hope this film continues his streak!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

Let's just hope this doesn't become another Funimation debacle like Evangelion 3.33's eternally-delayed non-release (17 months and counting)...
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".
Old 05-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Gravity Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
Let's just hope this doesn't become another Funimation debacle like Evangelion 3.33's eternally-delayed non-release (17 months and counting)...
To be fair it seems Hideaki Anno also has given up on the Rebuilds...
Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I just noticed that Takagi Masakatsu is doing the score for this film! I absolutely loved the soundtrack to Wolf Children, which definitely was a huge contributor in my love for the film. Hope he will be a regular presence in Hosoda's films into the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
LOL. I'm glad I never had to wait for that....

It seems like they want to submit The Boy and the Beast for the Oscars this year, so if it ends up being nominated, I can see Funimation releasing the BD by around next spring. Though considering that's around when the Japanese BD will likely be released, they'll probably have to wait until after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac013 View Post
To be fair it seems Hideaki Anno also has given up on the Rebuilds...
To be fair, Khara were recently hiring animators for the next film....lol. I didn't think the interval would end up being longer than that between 2.0 and 3.0, but honestly, I've given up on looking forward to it. I'll wait until we have something concrete.

Such a missed opportunity though--2015 would have been the perfect year, with it being the 20th anniversary and the year that the story takes place. They wouldn't
[Show spoiler]wait until 2029
, would they? lol.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:09 AM   #6

May 2015

I am beyond excited for this movie! It'll certainly make its way into my collection with his other movies.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:32 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Utah

Heck Yes! Easily my most anticipated movie of the year (sorry Star Wars). Thought I was going to have to wait another year and a half to see this like with Wolf Children. Glad it's getting the quicker push like The Wind Rises did. Though ultimately will probably have to wait till next year. The limited release this year will probably be just LA and NY.

I agree with celticmoon, the soundtrack to Wolf Children was amazing. One of the very few soundtracks I actually continuously play through the whole thing. Glad to hear Takagi Masakatsu is back.

I honestly love every one of Mamoru Hosoda's films. Love it that he is consistent in pushing films out every three years. If he continues to a larger filmography, he will easily be up there with Miyazaki for me.
My Top 20 Films
1. Spirited Away 2. Princess Mononoke 3. Red Cliff 4. Memories of Murder 5. Battle Royale 6. The Dark Knight 7. Beauty and the Beast (1991) 8. Jurassic Park 9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) 10. Seven Samurai 11. Finding Nemo 12. Vertigo 13. Inception 14. Casablanca 15. My Neighbor Totoro 16. The Lion King 17. A Bittersweet Life 18. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 19. Life Is Beautiful 20. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
Denmark

Not really too bothered about FUNi getting this movie. I'll get whatever version comes out first with engsubs
Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #9

Nov 2010

Hell yeah. Love me some Hosoda.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

I'd love it if Funimation picked up the license for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and released a box with all four of Hosoda's original films down the line. I'd pick that up in a heartbeat!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
Denmark

Still no news about a Japanese release?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Still no news about a Japanese release?
Didn't it just hit theatres over there? I wouldn't expect news about a BD release for yet a few months.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #13

Mar 2013
Florida

I love Hosoda's films. Buying this when it releases for sure.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
Didn't it just hit theatres over there? I wouldn't expect news about a BD release for yet a few months.
I thought it had been out for a while. Nothing to see here, then
Old 07-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Judging from the way Japanese BD releases usually go, I wouldn't expect the Japanese release until sometime next year... February or so at the earliest, if it follows Wolf Children.They just got a pretty nice BD boxset of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time/Summer Wars/Wolf Children in Japan, though.

In other news, The Boy and the Beast opened quite big in Japan, nearly doubling the opening box office gross and attendance of Wolf Children. Wolf Children was a huge hit in 2012, and it's impressive that Hosoda's audience just keeps growing. He's truly broken into the mainstream in a way that really hasn't been seen for an animation director since Miyazaki, I would say.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
Judging from the way Japanese BD releases usually go, I wouldn't expect the Japanese release until sometime next year... February or so at the earliest, if it follows Wolf Children.They just got a pretty nice BD boxset of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time/Summer Wars/Wolf Children in Japan, though.
Does the box set include english dub/subs? Is it still available?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2014
In a Galaxy far, far away...

I freaking love Summer Wars and Wolf Children. Mamoru Hosoda has my vote as the next Miyazaki. This looks awesome and I'm glad we don't have to wait two years for it.
The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in.

On behalf of the fine people of New York and real rhinos everywhere, I ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Special Member

Jan 2015
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikagreg View Post
Does the box set include english dub/subs? Is it still available?
Yeah, it's still available for purchase, but there's no English support.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Twilight View Post
Yeah, it's still available for purchase, but there's no English support.
Back to waiting for someone to pick back up The Girl Who Leapt Through Time~ Wasn't there supposed to be a super awesome Korean edition coming soon.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #20
Special Member

Jan 2015
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikagreg View Post
Back to waiting for someone to pick back up The Girl Who Leapt Through Time~ Wasn't there supposed to be a super awesome Korean edition coming soon.
There's supposed to be, but I can't find hardly any info on it.
Thanks given by:
pikagreg (07-16-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime